5. An Orange Rose

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana looked at Yixing’s face, and she must’ve decided that he was fairly reliant. He knew that there would be no harm in him giving an outsider’s perspective into a case. Unless this went all horribly wrong, and she ended up losing her job. That would be bad. Yixing turned away from to look at the man that was leaning against the pole.

“There was a murder last night. A model was killed-” she started, but Yixing’s yelp of surprise cut her off. He watched as the man took off his hood, exposing his face, and Yixing realized that he knew the man. She hissed at him to shush, and he immediately ducked his head down lower.

“Sorry,” he whispered. “The guy you’re trailing is Kris?!”

She spun her head to look at Yixing with wide eyes, boring into Yixing’s.

“You’ve heard of him?” she asked in a voice barely above a hiss. Yixing hunched over under her gaze, feeling like he had a need to shrink down. It terrified him that she could do that with one look.

He stammered out an explanation, trying to cover for himself. “Y-yeah. I mean who hasn’t? He’s one of the biggest people in the modeling industry.”

“Uh-huh. So how do you know him though?” she asked in a very no-nonsense voice. He had a sneaking suspicion this was the voice she used on criminals they interrogated.

“I don’t?” It sounded like more of a question than a statement, and he knew that. He did know Kris personally, but he didn’t know what he had gotten himself into, so Yixing didn’t want to say too much. Unfortunately, his flustered mindset let the confusion sink into his words as well.

Sometimes he wondered how he ended up being an actor with his filter not working at moments.

“That sounds more like a question than a statement,” she accused, squinting at him. Her posture took on an offensive stance, and she looked like she was ready to pounce at him. He spotting her hand moving closer to her gun, but he doubted she would need it in order to incapacitate him.

Holy mother of god, she was terrifying.

"That's because it was a question,” he said sheepishly.

“Spill.” Hana glared at him.

“Has anyone told you that you’re a scary woman?” he asked, jokingly, in an attempt to distract Hana.

But seriously, he felt like she was going to bite his head off any moment now.

“Yes,” she growled. “Now talk.”

Yixing sighed, tapping the balcony bars. “He’s my friend. I knew him from when I was a trainee. Oh, I was originally supposed to be a trainee, but-”

“You switched to be an actor I know. Just get to the point,” she waved him off. Yixing looked at her with wide eyes.

“You know? Didn’t you say you only heard of me today?”

“My co-worker likes you,” she sighed as she rolled her eyes.

“Oh really? That’s so cool! When can I meet your co-worker? I want to say thanks!” Yixing blabbered, and he really just wanted to crawl into a hole the moment he said it. He sometimes had a hard time understanding that his life wasn’t a dream and that there weren’t just random crazy people who knew about his existence. She just stared at him the whole time.

“Mr. Zhang, can we get back to how you know Kris?”

“Right, sorry,” he apologized. “When I was a trainee, a senior trainee I knew was friends with Kris, and he took a whole bunch of us out for street food. Kris tagged along, and we ended up talking. We’ve been friends for a while now,” he spoke. Thinking back, Yixing realized that it had been nearly seven years since they’d become friends, and he actually hadn’t been speaking to Kris as much in the last couple of years. They had both become so busy over the years, but it was nice to see Kris doing well. Although, Yixing doubted that now that a detective was watching him. He wondered how she had trailed him here since he didn’t even live in this area.

The two watched as Kris finally hung up the phone and go back inside the apartment building. At this point, Hana stood up and walked back inside. Yixing waited for few moments before following her back in. He stood next to her as she looked through the balcony door. He followed her line of sight and saw an apartment lights turn on. A few seconds later, he saw Kris walking through the window.

“So, why were you surprised that he was here?” Hana asked.

“Because he doesn’t live here.” Hana turned to stare at him with wide eyes. From her expression, he figured that Hana didn’t know that.

“He what?! Are you kidding me?” He flinched at her voice.

“I’m serious! He would have no need to be in this area. He lives a few kilometers away from here. I don’t think any of his friends live in this area, either. At least the ones I know of. Plus, didn’t I say I wanted to avoid being near my friend’s houses?” Hana looked down at the ground.

Yixing watched Hana’s eyes move around in a frenzied manner and wondered if he had helped her or had made everything more confusing. He momentarily gave up on hearing about what the case was about; he would ask again later.

Probably the latter.

“...the records showed that his apartment was here,” she spoke.

Definitely the latter.

“I’m sorry?” he apologized as a form of consolation. He didn’t know what to do, and he felt extremely awkward just standing next to her as she started wringing her hands.

“It’s not your fault,” she murmured as she took out her phone. Another light in Kris’s supposed apartment’s lit up, and he saw another figure in the room just before the light turned off. He watched as looked at the apartment, shook her head, and pulled out her p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter