Chapter 4

Windwalker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4



 

“What exactly do you plan on accomplishing here?”

 

Hwayoung glanced at Kyungsoo, who had his arms crossed across his chest, eyes unamused. He looked casual, at ease, maybe even, but she could see just how tense and on guard he was. He couldn’t show his face because he’d be recognized immediately. She couldn’t show hers because even if she weren’t recognized, her eyes were bright blue and it stood out way too well. It was a huge liability either way, but hopefully, in such a wild and unmanaged area of the Second Sector, no one would give them a second glance. There would be no one to stop them and demand for their identities because they looked suspicious with their hoods up.

 

“We’re going to find someone who’s Marked who’ll be able to get us out,” she said, one of her daggers. “Easy.”

 

“Easy?” he narrowed his eyes at her. “You’re too careless, Windwalker.”

 

“Hwayoung, please. Unless you prefer being called prince.”

 

He ignored her, and Hwayoung didn’t have the energy to care about him either.

 

There were so many illegal underground activities that took place at night in the Second Sector, and perhaps the best part of it was that the crown prince had no idea where they mostly were. She couldn’t see any of the soldiers around, anyways — .

 

She and Kyungsoo shoved through masses of people, past one fighting ring, past another, and she tried to sense another Marked’s magic in the air. It was hard with so many people — she supposed it was both a good and bad thing — but by the time they’d finally stopped to catch their breath, Hwayoung was sweating from how hot it was. Her body was protesting, and the only thing she wanted to do was lie down back at the hotel and get a good sleep.

 

Still, neither of them could afford staying in the Second Sector for much longer. It was either get out, preferably with another Marked’s help, or getting caught by the crown prince’s men. Hwayoung didn’t have to think twice to know that the first option was really her only option.

 

That didn’t make finding a Marked that had the right power to get them out an easy task, though. She had met a couple in her lifetime that were Marked, and thinking back to it, none of their powers would’ve benefitted her in anyway. They needed someone who could bring them out of the palace gates without being caught, and neither her nor Do Kyungsoo’s power would suffice for that.

 

Hwayoung stepped back, irritated and slightly tired, as a man, obviously drunk, stumbled past her. She could see Kyungsoo’s narrowed eyes, reflecting her displeasure, though he was obviously unused to and very much disliking his surroundings. She'd seen the place way too many times, but it never got better for her to look at. Only worse. 

 

“This place…” he started, frowning. “It’s very vulgar.”

 

“Miss the palace?” She didn’t mean for it to come out as so much of a taunt, but perhaps part of her was still slightly angry at him for ruining the plans she’d had for years. It probably wasn’t a smart idea to push his buttons here of all places, but Hwayoung was irritated enough already and it was an oddly amusing way to release stress. “It’s too late to turn back now.” She paused. “Prince.”

 

His jaw tightened. “Watch it,” he growled in a low voice.   

 

She glanced to the side and then cringed, awkwardly sidestepping away from the man who had a girl at least a head smaller than him pressed to the wall. Do Kyungsoo was right on one thing — the place was vulgar, and it definitely wasn’t somewhere that Hwayoung wanted to be.

 

But it was the best place to looked for other Marked, and if they looked hard enough and luck was on their side, then they could find someone by the end of the day.

 

“Someone’s singing,” Kyungsoo suddenly said, turning around, and Hwayoung followed the direction he was looking at.

 

Someone was singing; if she listened carefully enough, she could hear the faint sound of a voice, carrying over the shouting. It was melodic, smooth, and something that Hwayoung couldn’t even imagine in such a place.

 

She took a step towards where the singing was coming from. People were beginning to gather — she and Kyungsoo definitely weren’t the only ones who’d heard it, and glancing one more time at the prince, she turned and tried to peer over the crowd. The voice was growing stronger.

 

The tune of the song was unfamiliar — granted, Hwayoung wasn’t so much into music anyways — but beside her, Kyungsoo straightened, recognition flickering across his face. Then, without another word more to her, he began squeezing through the crowd, nearing the source of the singing. After a moment of hesitation, Hwayoung followed him.

 

She caught sight of the boy a couple moments later. People had formed a ragged circle around him, and he was standing on a wooden box of some sort. It didn’t do too much to make him stand out, but he was at least somewhat taller. It also kept people away from him — if he were standing on the ground, he’d be crowded, and at first glance, he looked like a delicate sort of person.

 

Long, pretty fingers pressed to his chest, black hair framing his face, eyes shut and voice pouring out, each note enchanting the crowd even more. In such a dirty (in more than just one way) and unrun place, having such a tame crowd listening to singing was a rare occurrence that she’d never encountered before.

 

Momentarily forgetting about the task at hand, Hwayoung stared up at the boy who was singing, entranced by the expression on his face but most of all, his voice.

 

It flowed easily through the air, each note hanging, clear, pure, flawless. It was obvious that he was singing with all his heart. She wasn’t quite sure what language it was — not one that she could understand — but it didn’t matter anyways. For a long time, she stood beneath the stand he was on, listening to the song, and before she even knew it, he’d drawn out the final note. It echoed through the air, holding the crowd’s attention and awe before it faded away.

 

The people around them broke into rapid applause.

 

He opened his eyes then, gaze flickering over the crowd. He pressed his lips together, still scanning his surroundings, almost as if he were looking for something, before they met hers briefly. Then he tore his eyes away quickly, leaving Hwayoung to wonder if it actually happened. Closer up, looking at him now that he’d stopped singing… he looked a lot more exhausted than she’d imagined. The song had been a good distraction (along with his voice — she’d never heard anyone sing such magic), but with his eyes open, he looked visibly exhausted. There was also something about his hair and the way it cast shadows over his face — maybe it was the lighting that was bad, but his hair somehow looked darker than normal.

 

“Hey,” Kyungsoo said behind her. “Windwalker. Hwayoung. We have to go now.”

 

She turned around to look at him, reluctantly looking away from the boy who’d been singing.

 

He also looked like he had just snapped out of a trance. “Right,” she muttered, casting him another glance. He’d stepped down from the box he’d been standing on. “Did you know that song?”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes were guarded. “Yes,” he said shortly. “We’ve wasted enough time here already. Let’s go.”

 

The sheer will in his voice was enough to bring Hwayoung back to the real world. The song had been a nice break, but they were looking for Marked. Not someone who could sing. Unless he could see the guards to sleep…

 

She shook her head, annoyed with herself. They’d be looking until daybreak if she remained distracted. Pinching herself one last time, she followed Kyungsoo’s rapidly disappearing figure and forced herself not to give the boy one last glance.

 

She still couldn't help but look towards him, but by then, his figure had disappeared in the crowd of people.

 

***

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter