Chapter 2

The Woes Of The Heart


 

Everything changed.

In all of his years of working as an event planner, he never harbored reluctance toward his career. It felt as though his occupation mocked him and laughed while pointing at him. Though he could have refused Jongin’s request, what type of friend would do so? Any other answer seemed unreasonable or downright wrong. Despite knowing this, maybe he still should have declined. The building stress hindered his creativity and blocked his usual rational when handling an event. 

While in his office filing through heaps of paperwork, there was a knock on his door. To his surprise, Baekhyun walked inside appearing every bit as glum as Kyungsoo felt.

“I’m sorry Soo,” 

“What are you sorry about Baek?” He asked, though he had a good idea. 

“Man, who is this woman? I need to know,” He placed his palms onto Kyungsoo’s desk, “Dammit! I can’t believe Jongin dropped a ing nuclear bomb like this and didn’t tell anyone.” He incredulously shook his head. 

Kyungsoo sighed, “Baek, I appreciate your concern, but really, there’s nothing much to be done. He likes her,”

“Like?! I’m sorry, but you don’t propose to someone you simply like.” That stung harsher than Kyungsoo imagined. Awfully true words spewed from Baekhyun’s lips, but Kyungsoo refused to admit it. Admitting such a thing would mean relinquishing to the notion that Jongin loved someone who was not him; someone who didn’t know Jongin as he did. His mind wouldn’t allow that. “What I’m saying is, what does she have that you don’t?”

“For one, she’s not hiding her feelings from him.” He resigned from getting any work done and dropped the papers onto his desk. 

“Then you need to tell Jongin how you feel,” Baekhyun said, and Kyungsoo didn’t have the capability to deal with this right now. 

“There’s no point,”

“Soo, there is. Be honest and tell him how you feel so that he’ll know, give him a chance to choose,”

“Baek, I really don’t thin--”

“Man the up and tell him!” Baekhyun yelled. 

“And what will that solve?!” He abruptly stood from his chair fueled by anger, “I tell him how much I love him and then what?” He spat, “He’ll leave Jiyoon behind and marry me instead? Think with your brain Baekhyun. He’s clearly been planning this for some time. A sudden confession isn’t going to change his mind,” He dwindled, his words becoming softer as realization settled in, “He…” Kyungsoo choked up, “He’s already chosen his life partner.” Baekhyun’s frown deepened, his sympathetic eyes scrutinizing every inkling of Kyungsoo’s face.

It was stifling under the condolatory glare that his employee held toward him. He felt utterly pathetic. 

“Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun called softly, “If you don’t want to do this, I can. I will drop all of my other clients. Please, don’t do this to yourself.”

Kyungsoo looked into his eyes with all the courage he could muster, “I’m fine,” He paused, “I’m fine. I can do this Baek...I...I will do this. For Jongin…”

Silence encompassed their figures for a moment as they stared at one another. The heaviness of his proclamation sunk even further into his painful sea of doubt, fear and anxiety. Baekhyun eased through the searing tension with his concerns.

“I want to help, I don’t want to see you hurting, Soo. Just let m--”

“Baekhyun,” he interjected, “Let me do this, please...Please,” His gaze was pleading, a shining luster within his scleras. Baekhyun resigned with a defeated nod before he sulked out of Kyungsoo’s office. The CEO sighed heavy and collapsed into his chair. Burying his head inside of his palms, he wondered why life had to be unfair.



April 8th
On this day, 

I lied to Baekhyun about being fine which couldn’t be farther from the truth. Today was one of the hardest days of my life. I had to look Jongin in the eyes and be happy but I can’t stand this. Today was my first consultation with the couple and I had to sit there while we discussed caterers and booked the venue. Their aim is to be married at the end of August at the haevichi resort on Jeju Island. 
I’m trying to understand how I didn’t see this coming. How I didn’t see how close they had gotten? I thought I knew him, I thought I understood him. Could it be me? Was I never around? We didn’t hang out as much as before, was that it? We didn’t go out for ice cream in the past month, was that it? We didn’t have our usual movie marathon on Sundays, was that the reason why he got close to her? 
I don’t like this, I don’t want to believe this. How could this happen to me?
Life is unpredictable, I know. but I plan. I plan and plan, and this was not a part of my plan.
But I have to be there, I have to show Jongin how much I care, because I do care and I want him to be happy and if this is how he will be happy then I can deal with this…for Jongin, for his happiness. Tomorrow I have to meet the couple for cake tasting. I hope it won’t be too bad. 
I’m so tired, just going to close my eyes and maybe if I shut them tight enough this nightmare will come to an end. 
-DKS






The nightmare was far from over when he woke up the next morning to an alarm which didn’t sound. The night before, he forgot to set it, and although he arrived to the caterers’ early, he berated himself for the deviation. 

With his planner and folder nestled in his arm, he waited for the couple inside the bakery. Moments later, the bewedded finally made their appearance together, walking hand in hand. Kyungsoo feigned to have never seen their connected appendages and greeted Jongin with a smile. 

“Morning Soo,” Jongin smiled, “It’s a bit early, but I have the later shift tonight. So how do we do this?” 

“Well, I called ahead of time so they have certain cakes prepared based on the style of the wedding. Since the wedding is vintage, they have designed cakes that are suited for that era. We’ll taste five cakes today. They fit within your budget and meet the size of your guest list as well.” Though Jongin was his closest friend, the professionalism within him seeped out. This was one part of his job that he enjoyed. 

The five cakes which they previously agreed upon were displayed further inside. Every cake had a unique flavor, design and height. They began with a neutral vanilla cake with white icing, traditional and organic.

Jongin and Jiyoon tasted the cake, and Kyungsoo watched for their reactions. He perceived suitable reactions from them both and jotted down in his planner that the first cake scored a seven out of ten. For every cake they tried, he gauged their responses and asked questions pertaining to the taste and texture. 

Jiyoon had much to say, being the opinionated woman she was, however, Kyungsoo wasn’t the least bit interested in her opinion. 

“What do you think Jongin?”

“I’m not really sure, I like them all to be honest. I wish we could buy them all.” Jiyoon laughed at his words, giddy and cheerful. It pulled a piercing envy out of Kyungsoo, who inwardly revulsed at the sounds of her happiness. Quickly, he rid the disgusting thought with a shake of his head. 

“Well, you’re supposed to compare and contrast, what did you like? What didn’t you like? There must be something,” Kyungsoo said.

Jiyoon decided to add her thoughts, “I thought the first cake was rather normal, compared to the last one, which had more flavor. Stylistically, I love them all. So I think flavor matters more here. What do you think Jongin?” Her palm fell on Jongin’s bicep with a certain grace and ease that displayed their intimacy. Envy pushed against Kyungsoo’s chest once again, but he ordered it back down with a heavy sigh.

“I think the last one definitely tasted the best. Soo, how about you?” With eyes locked on the connection of Jiyoon’s hand and Jongin’s arm, Kyungsoo didn’t hear the call of his name, “Soo?”

“Huh?” He coughed, “Excuse me, what was the question again?”

Jongin chuckled, “Which one did you like the best? You are my best man after all,” 

Kyungsoo gulped. Though he tasted the cakes as they did, he truly wasn’t paying attention. “Let me taste the last one again,” He started for the table, but before he could grab a slice of proffered cake, Jongin picked it up instead. 

“Here, Soo,” Jongin lifted the cake from the plate with his fingers and once again, decided to feed him. Pink tinted Kyungsoo’s cheeks and with a brief shift of his eyes to Jiyoon, he opened his mouth to allow him to place the desert in his mouth. Subtle nerves trickled up his spine because that was fairly intimate. Not only that, but Jongin had no problem feeding him in front of his fiance.

If the display of affection bothered Jiyoon, she didn’t show it. Despite that, Kyungsoo felt pleased and it stirred his emotions further.

“I like this one,” He said. Though he wasn’t certain if it was for the taste or because Jongin fed him. 

In an unanimous decision, they chose the last cake as the one for the wedding. It was a gorgeous ivory, three column vintage cake decorated with beaded straps in a swirling design. Atop of the cake sat a ruffled flower decoration in the shape of rose petals. The icing of the petals spiraled down the side of the cake. If Kyungsoo was being honest, he commended their taste, it certainly was beautiful. With a note in his planner, he finalized their decision and secured it for the special day.






The following weeks Kyungsoo met with the couple on numerous occasions and helped choose certain decorations that would suit the theme of the wedding. By the end of the third week since their first consultation, they vamped up a pretty hefty list of decor for the wedding which included: three tier dessert stands; toasting flutes champagne glasses with burlap flowers and lace; sheer white tablecloths with bird and branch lace table runners; gold moretti candelabra candlesticks; copper blush and rose gold glass pedestal bowls to hold flowers. 

Which led them here, a famous florist shop, Laura’s Flowers, to select the flowers to decorate the tables and the bride’s bouquet. 

Kyungsoo arrived early once again, though his morning was far from perfect. His alarm wasn’t set again, and he woke to an upset stomach and migraine. Not only that, but he forgot to accessorize his clothes and sort which outfit to wear. Consequently, he selected the first thing in his closet which was a pearly blue short sleeved polo along with bright khakis. The deep ebony strands of his hair were styled back with a short bang swooped to one side. 

While examining the flowers near the entrance, the chime above the door rang with a jingle and Kyungsoo lifted his head. Jiyoon stepped through the entrance alone wearing a floral sundress. He waited to see if Jongin would follow after, but to his awful surprise and confusion, the pediatrician was nowhere to be found. 

“Good afternoon,” Jiyoon said as she walked toward him. Kyungsoo’s eyes trained on the entrance as he hoped and prayed for Jongin to miraculously appear. “It’s only you and me, Jongin messaged me and said he got called in today.” Just as Kyungsoo feared. The thought of Jiyoon accompanying him today alone caused his mood to deflate immensely. 

With a strained grin, he said, “Oh, great.” When this situation couldn’t have been further from great. The urge to reschedule this meeting struck him hard, but they already arrived and the drive to the shop was long. He was determined to get through this, if not for himself, but for Jongin. “We’ll start over here.” He gestured toward an aisle of colorful roses. 

Awkward would be an understatement as they ventured down the various aisles in silence. A low hum of interest there, a praising nod here, as they continued walking along side by side. It would be abnormal for a conversation to develop, given the trite nature of his disinclination. There weren’t many instances when he conversed with Jiyoon while Jongin was absent, certain that they didn’t have much to discuss between them--No mutual friends aside from Jongin, no similar interest, hobbies, probably morals too. She couldn’t have been more perpendicular to Kyungsoo if she desperately tried. Which raised an intriguing question of what Jongin saw in her. 

Jiyoon gracefully pulled a strand of hair behind her ear as she peered down at a lavish bundle of orchids, “I really like these,” She said, breaking the tense silence. Kyungsoo knew they would have to discuss the flowers, but it came all too soon. His thoughts still drifted along the intriguing personality traits which Jongin liked and disliked. 

Yet, when he saw Jiyoon lift the flowers to her nose for a whiff, he spoke up, “Ah, white orchids which mean innocence, beauty and elegance. Those are a nice pick.” His hands reached out to grab a bundle of exuberant roses, “But I think Jongin would like roses. He’s a hopeless romantic after all.” He smiled while looking at the flowers. 

“Hmm. I guess roses are good too,” Jiyoon agreed, her voice laced with uncertainty, “What about baby’s breath, lilacs, or sweet peas?” she inquired, and Kyungsoo gave it some thought before answering.

“I think Jongin would like water lilies and stephanotis, maybe some cherry blossoms. It’s really hard to say, but roses for sure.” Kyungsoo pursed his lips. “Very bright colors, such as fuchsia or orange to match his personality,”

“I was thinking about softer tones like coral, cream, and maybe lavender,”

“It’s up to you, I’m just speaking for Jongin and what he likes,”

“You seem to know much about him,” 

“I’ve known him since high school,” His braggadocio showcased itself through the pride in his voice which he did nothing to hide. 

“But you guys separated in college, right?” Knocked down a peg from that haughty pedestal, he nodded with exertion. 

“Yes, we went into different career paths, so we couldn’t attend the same school.” Those six years were difficult, he would attest. However, they kept in contact, though not as much as Kyungsoo would have liked. Their relationship faded into infrequent exchange of emails only for a short phase before Jongin returned to Korea. He studied at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and traveled to the United States to attend. Left in Korea, Kyungsoo attended the local university and graduated with a degree in business management. 

Two distinct paths led them to separate for a while, but their friendship survived the distance and they were able to pick up right where they left off. Well, not entirely where they left off, because the emotions Kyungsoo harbored toward the pediatrician became fonder. 

What was that saying about distance and the heart?

“It’s great he came back, otherwise, I wouldn’t have met him,” Jiyoon said, and for some odd reason, it sounded like a challenge to Kyungsoo. 

“He came back because he has family and friends here, so it’s only natural,”

“Yes that’s true, and I’ll soon be a part of that family.” Harsh. It felt like a blatant smack to the face, and Kyungsoo rolled his tongue inside his cheek. “I know you don’t like me Kyungsoo.” That surprised him, and he brought his gaze to look at her face which he had been avoiding.

“I don’t dislike you.” The lies he told would certainly make his mom weary. 

Jiyoon scoffed, “You don’t, I can tell.” Her gaze wavered slightly, “You don’t need to tell me why, but we can at least get through this,”

“Jiyoon...” That name was foreign on his tongue, “A friend of Jongin’s is a friend of mine,”

“That’s the thing Kyungsoo, I’m not just his friend. I’m the woman who he’s going to marry in August,” 

It stabbed and tore at his heart. His chest constricted with an ache that wouldn’t cease. The gratuitous reminder rendered his limbs paralyzed and settled his expression into a blank glare.

“I know very well who you are,” He said. 

“Then isn’t it time to accept that I’m here?”

Kyungsoo looked away and down at the flowers, “What do you want from me?” His eyes held drawn tears inside which became more lustrous with every second. He blinked them away quickly, refusing to be this vulnerable before Jiyoon. 

“I want us to get along,” She paused, “Because you’re important to Jongin. He never stops talking about you.” Despite his mangled emotions, that bit of information made his heart lighter, “Jongin thinks highly of you, Kyungsoo. And even though we’re getting married, I want it to be okay with you. I want things to be good between us. So can we do that?”

Time was a commodity which he desperately needed. It would allow him the space to accept this marriage, and to accept Jiyoon as the person who Jongin chose. However, time was never on his side when he needed it most. Not now, and not in the past when he first discovered his emotions for Jongin. 

“We can do that.” He lifted his gaze, “It’s okay with me, really. As long as Jongin is happy,” 

“Okay.” Jiyoon gave a small smile which Kyungsoo attempted to return, though it strained him to do so. 

“So,” He sighed, “Did you want to go with the orchids?”

She looked at him with a sense of contemplation in her gaze before saying, “I think...I’ll choose those roses.” 



April 18th
On this day,

Things are getting harder. It hurts so much. Can I really do this? I just want to be here for Jongin but he chose her and I have to accept that like she said. But maybe I like clinging onto this hate because I know once it’s gone I will have to deal with the pain that comes after. I wish I could tell him how I feel but I can’t. My emotions are buried so deep...can I even reach them? I just don't know what to do. This is starting to affect my schedule. I haven’t woken up on time since that dinner. I keep forgetting to pick out clothes the night before. I haven’t gone out for my morning jogs. I keep misplacing documents. My mind is everywhere. 
Chanyeol calls and I talk to him sometimes, it’s nice. He helps me take my mind off Jongin for a little while. He makes me laugh but then I start thinking about the wedding again. Maybe I should talk to Chanyeol more...I think it would help me with these feelings. But the wedding, for Jongin...for his happiness, I can do this. 
I need to sleep, this nightmare still hasn’t ended.
-DKS





 


The stress continued to build as Kyungsoo attended numerous consultations with Jongin and Jiyoon. In a show of favoritism, he made Jongin’s wedding his top priority and assigned two of his other clients to his employees, Kris and Sehun. 

The days dragged along with a heaviness that clung to his movements. The pressure of the daunting wedding began to weigh him down further and further. 

Saxophone classes still continued as normal every Saturday along with Jongdae’s unabating reminders of his upcoming performance. They chose a song at his previous lesson and began prasticing for the amatuer night. Though still ridden with anxiety, excitement was merely second in tandem of his emotions, confidence coming in third. When not riddled with work related matters, he practised for long periods of time. 

One Friday, he marked down in his planner to practise that evening, but Jongin contacted him about visiting the hospital to hang out during his break on the night shift. Of course, Kyungsoo agreed. He could never say no to Jongin when the man requested anything of him. Planning this wedding served as a prime example.

In only a matter of minutes, he arrived at the hospital. Jongin hadn’t finished his shift yet, so the pediatrician asked him to come inside. While making his rounds, he offered to take Kyungsoo on a tour. The CEO wouldn’t miss a chance to spend time with Jongin, and they made short stops at different rooms. 

Upon their entrance into his patients’ room, the children greeted Jongin with radiance. The entire room lit up with energy, infectious and awe-inspiring. 

Witnessing Jongin interact with the children tugged at Kyungsoo’s heartstrings. The eternal smile carved on Jongin’s face made him irresistible. His glowing eyes displayed a youthful charm and boyish nature which revealed his earnest love for his job. 

Unknowingly, Kyungsoo fell deeper in love.

“The next room is Minseok, remember him?” 

Kyungsoo nodded, “Sure do. The one who has good taste in jokes.” He smiled until Jongin shot him an unimpressed glare, which in turn, pushed that smile into soft chuckles.

Jongin stepped inside the room with Kyungsoo steady on his heels. The urge to coo swelled when Kyungsoo caught sight of the young boy wrapped in his white bed sheets. The other kids were undeniably adorable, but this boy had the puffiest cheeks making him the cutest. Those round cheeks ate his entire face, his curved eyes waned into the clefts of his eyelids with small, pouty lips. Kyungsoo could pinch those cheeks for hours and never tire of it.

Jongin snickered, “Cute, isn’t he?” He grinned, “Minnie, I have a guest here,”

The boys eyes landed upon Kyungsoo, and he beamed widely displaying a toothy grin. The smile from Kyungsoo was involuntary, an unconscious response to the boy. How could anyone not smile when Minseok did? Seemed impossible to the CEO.

“Hi!” The boy waved, and Kyungsoo waved back.

“Hello Minseok, I’m Kyungsoo,”

“He’s a friend of mine,” Jongin informed, hands clasping the clipboard in his palms. He flipped through the papers, “Minnie, have you been eating your dinner?”

The boy pouted, crossed his arms and shook his head. 

Jongin sighed.

Kyungsoo felt his heart melt from the onslaught of cuteness. 

“I don’t like the food here,” Minseok said. Kyungsoo couldn’t blame the boy, it was really disgusting. From what he could remember anyway, it had been years since he was in a hospital. 

“I know Minnie. The food may not be the best, but you need to eat to grow and for nutrients. You want to be a big boy, right?” Minseok nodded his head, his lips still protruding out into a sulky pout. “Then you have to eat your food, all of it. Look at Kyungsoo here.” Jongin gestured toward him, “He eats all of his food and now he’s a big boy.” Minseok looked up at him with doubtful eyes that waited for confirmation.

Moving closer to the bed, Kyungsoo said, “That’s right Minseok, even the nasty vegetables.” He twinkled his nose and made a playful sour face that succeeded in making the boy giggle. 

“Okay,” Minseok said.

“Good.” Jongin pulled out his phone, “Do you want to take a photo with Kyungsoo, so you can remember to eat well and become strong?”

“Yes!” 

“Jongin you have to get in the photo too,” Kyungsoo said.

Jongin maneuvered closer so that the three of them could fit into the frame of his camera. He held his phone up and snapped three photos before sending them to Kyungsoo’s phone. 

The sweet moment was interrupted when the last person Kyungsoo wanted to see walked inside the room. Clad in dark blue scrubs, Jiyoon appeared with a grin. 

“Hey Jongin, we need your opinion on one patient,” She informed, “Hey Minseok.” She waved at the boy, “And hello Kyungsoo,”She added almost as if he was an afterthought. 

Kyungsoo took that as his cue to leave. After saying a proper goodbye to Minseok and promising to visit again, he left the hospital.



As he returned home, self-inflicting thoughts plagued the contours of his mind. He felt stupid; stupid for failing to reel in his emotions. He never wanted to love Jongin so profoundly, but everything the man did was far too lovable. From his occupation to the way he treated his family and friends, Jongin was a pure and amiable guy. Kyungsoo admired and respected him. 

Therefore, he didn’t know what to do with these emotions. 

Jiyoon and Jongin were a match made in heaven. A doctor and nurse who both treated and cared for unhealthy children. Who was he to come between something that was so perfect in society’s eyes? Though he despised the thought of those two together, he couldn’t deny that they were two good natured people who fell in love.

He threw his keys onto his kitchen table and snatched the buttons loose from his shirt. Tossing his shirt aimlessly onto the floor, he started for a shower. Under the tranquil pour of water, thoughts of Jongin continued to infiltrate his mind.

After drying himself off and applying pajamas, he searched around the higher shelf of his closet and pulled out an old photo album. Settling down onto his bed with the book in his palms, he began to flip through the pages. 

In his photo book of memories were moments captured of Jongin and him during their teenage years in high school. During those times, Kyungsoo was an outcast for being -retentive and meticulous about his planning and wore sharp rectangular glasses. Yet, Jongin talked to him anyway, never caring for those who deemed him weird or a nerd. Back then, Kyungsoo never trusted anyone because friendships never lasted and people grew apart. But somehow, Jongin clobbered through his defensive walls with very little effort. 

After all, Jongin was a massive storm of drastic proportions. Kyungsoo was powerless against his typhoon of charming smiles and hurricanes of stale jokes. He couldn't resist the effortless charm and allure Jongin possessed if he wanted to. And, he didn’t want to.

Kyungsoo smiled, though it didn’t reach his eyes. Staring at the photos, he felt the dense and familiar pull around his ducts. With each flip of a page, the memories manifested inside his mind like he was there in those moments experiencing them for the first time. He remembered how it felt to have Jongin in his life at that time. 

Jongin beside him was a blessing in disguise because the path of solitude was indeed bleak and dreary. Yet, when accompanied by someone whose shine could compete with the stars, it was impossible not to gravitate toward such radiance and desire to shine like that as well. 

His fingertips traveled the pages over the printed film as small drops of tears fell onto the photos. He wiped his cheeks with a quick swipe of his hand, and sniffed before clearing his throat. A flurry of emotions billowed inside, and what better way to allow them to escape than to write them down...



May 13th,

I went to the hospital today and visited Jongin. He took me on a tour and it was nice. I was able to meet a young boy named Minseok, who doesn’t like the food or Jongin’s jokes. I like this kid already. 
Jongin was perfect with those kids. They seem to love him and he loves them in return. It could be seen in his eyes, like everything else. The way he looks and stares with full attention, is something he’s done since I met him and he continues to do it. He has a way of making people feel important. 
I don’t want to do this. I want more than a friendship but it’s impossible and I don’t what to do. 
I look at the photo with the three of us and I imagine us as a family.
I started to understand that my love is too deep, it’s too raw and sometimes I scare myself. 
Maybe separating from Jongin for a while will help. 
Tonight my heart hurts and aches for him but I need to move on. I need to let him go because if I don’t, what will I become? Can I truly be there for him in his moment of happiness? 
It’s early but I think I’m just going to sleep. I can practise some other time. 
-DKS







The days after were like a blur. 

Kyungsoo attended work and nearly kept up with his obligations. However, there was a noticeable shift in his schedule. 

It began with the lack of alarm clocks. Then, his unnatural clothing selection followed. Kyungsoo noticed the skipped days of his journal. He no longer wrote daily but randomized dates with no correlation or pattern. 

His schedule reflected the shape of his emotions--scattered, disturbed and troubled. He couldn't remember the last time he jogged around the park before work, nor ate his meals at an appropriate time. Sleepless nights grew in accordance to his unbalanced state. Kyungsoo saw the bags under his eyes begin to deepen, and he tried to obtain the adequate amount of sleep but his thoughts about Jongin refused to yield. His days became longer and his nights shorter. 

It continued in a downward spiral until Baekhyun discerned the irregular patterns of his behavior. But it wasn’t until Kyungsoo arrived to work late for the fifth time, did Baekhyun decide to intervene.



In the break room, Kyungsoo rested in a chair with a cup of hot black coffee. He massaged his temples with his fingers before pinching the bridge of his nose. 

“Hey Soo.” No response. Baekhyun thought to try again, “Soo?”

Kyungsoo jerked with an agitated grunt, and he rolled his neck, “Stop calling me that,” He murmured, his voice ladened with grogginess. 

Baekhyun ignored him as he always did, “Soo, you look horrible,”

“Enough with that nickname, Baekhyun I’m serious,” 

“Alright, whatever. Anyway, I think we should do something, you know? Maybe go out for drinks to take a break from everything,”

The heavy sigh from Kyungsoo's lips couldn’t compete with the wearied body which expelled it, “You know I have a schedule to uphold,” 

“And I also know that you make time for Jongin whenever, so you can find time for your other friends,” Baekhyun snidely remarked. 

“Okay, fine. We can go out Saturday. Who’s all going?”

“Just me, you, Kris and probably Chanyeol.” At the mention of his pursuer’s name, Kyungsoo shook his head.

“No, no way. Not with Chanyeol. He keeps texting me and holding a conversation with him is tiresome.”

Baekhyun shrugged, “Okay, if Chanyeol doesn’t come, will you join us?”

“Yea sure.” He nodded blankly as he stood from his seat. 

“Okay! Let’s have a blast!” Baekhyun yelled. Kyungsoo’s face twisted with displeasure at the volume of his voice within the small room. 

“Keep your voice down.” Kyungsoo tossed his foam cup into the trash bin, “And who says ‘blast’?” Baekhyun rolled his eyes with a huff, and the tiniest grin crept onto Kyungsoo’s lips.



He knew better than to trust Baekhyun. The persistent need to perpetuate decorum kept him from parading out the nightclub as soon as he entered. Not to mention, Baekhyun spotted him the moment he walked through the door. And lo and behold, Chanyeol was there. The tall man sat with the rest of the talkative lot huddled inside a black, leather arciform booth. 

“Glad you could make it!” Baekhyun yelled above the pulsation of EDM from the speakers. Again, he thought to leave because the only space available was beside Chanyeol. Kyungsoo recognized a setup as good as any other, and he wanted to introduce Baekhyun to his dear old friend--balled fist.

“Yea, yea,” He replied while taking the seat beside the accountant. Kris greeted with a short wave before he lifted his beer around the neck to take a swallow.

“Hey Kyungsoo.” The underlying tones of excitement were present no matter how cool and nonchalant Chanyeol attempted to sound. If Kyungsoo was honest with himself, he would admit that he had some respect for Chanyeol. The man had enough courage to chase after the person he desired to have, which is far more than what Kyungsoo could say for himself. 

“Hey Chanyeol,”

“So what made you come out tonight?” Kyungsoo knew there was no way to escape this conversation. Typically, he refused to join them, so Chanyeol’s inquiry was justifiable. 

“I just wanted to get out and try something different,”

“That’s cool.” Chanyeol leaned back and stretched his limbs in a painfully obvious attempt to place his arm behind Kyungsoo. The CEO allowed him. The energy to combat Chanyeol’s advances was nonexistent at the time. “So...” He scooted over closer to Kyungsoo, “We should go to a batting range some time like we used to in college,”

“That was a long time ago,”

“Yea, but we had fun, didn’t we?” 

“That’s true,” Kyungsoo turned his body toward the other, “Remember when we used to go into those music stores and listen to music for hours?” He asked and Chanyeol laughed. 

“They had to tell us to leave,” He smiled, “Or what about that time when you lost your planner, and found it in Luhan’s room. I swear the wrath of Satan had nothing on you. Poor boy, he was scared of you for weeks,”

“As my roommate, he shouldn’t have touched my things. He had it coming,” Kyungsoo chuckle at the memory. 

Luhan was such a meddlesome roommate. The boy was talkative and very outgoing. If not for Chanyeol acting as a buffer between them, Kyungsoo would have unleashed his rage. In those days, spending time with Chanyeol seemed much easier, he mused. 

What changed? Was it because Jongin returned? Kyungsoo contemplated briefly before he heard Chanyeol’s voice again. 

“Want to dance?” Chanyeol asked, and Kyungsoo shot him down with a terse shake of his head. 

“Oh, live a little Soo,” Baekhyun said as he bobbed his head to the bass. Weird and nonsensical body movements commenced after, and if Baekhyun thought those “smooth” moves were enough incentive for him to dance, he was horribly mistaken. “Fine, let’s get you something to drink then, beer?” 

“I don’t drink,” Kyungsoo deadpanned as his foot tapped to the addictive rhythm. The song wasn’t bad, in fact, he actually enjoyed the hard-hitting bass and synthesizer. The last time he accompanied anyone to a nightclub was years ago. He found comfort inside of his apartment and audiobooks more these days.

“What about a martini?” Kris asked. 

“No thanks.” Kyungsoo cut the air with his arm in a horizontal motion. Kris shrugged and continued drinking his Corona. 

“Come on.” Baekhyun shimmied to Kris’s side, advertently forcing the tall man from the booth. After standing with a brief stretch, he pulled on Kyungsoo’s arm, “Come dance with me. If you aren’t going to drink, then let’s get out there and shake a tail feather,”

Kyungsoo’s face contorted in a quizzical expression, and Chanyeol exploded in laughter.

“The fact that you just said that means we are far too old to be in here,” With a deft grab of the table, Kyungsoo pulled back, holding onto the table for dear life, “Baek, I really have two left feet…”

Baekhyun chuckled, “It’s fine, no one will pay attention anyway. We’re here to have fun Soo, let loose,”

With the pressure of Chanyeol’s hand on his back pushing him forward and the pull from Baekhyun, he was forced from his seat. Baekhyun walked backwards into the crowd luring Kyungsoo with his fingers in a come hither gesture. With a resigned shake of his head, Kyungsoo followed after him with Chanyeol in tow. 

There were many things he expected when he stepped onto the dance floor--to be left alone in the corner bobbing his head, to be grinded upon or to grind on someone perhaps--but being sandwiched in between Baekhyun and Chanyeol was not one of them. 

Strange as it seemed, he enjoyed it. The silly and scant, off-beat moves from Baekhyun convinced him that he wouldn’t appear as the worst dancer on the floor. There was no way that his mild two step competed with what looked like a butterfly-bootypop combination. If that was what you called it. 

Chanyeol, on the other hand, stood behind him and swayed to the beat in a rather normal fashion. Eventually, Kyungsoo felt the music control his limbs and before he knew it, he danced like never before. Inhibitions broken free, his body had a mind of its own. Being so immersed in dancing, he hadn’t noticed when Kris joined them looking every bit as wasted as Baekhyun danced. 

Surrounded by his friends, Kyungsoo laughed loudly, made silly facial expressions, danced like no one was watching, and had the most fun he’d had in months. His thoughts took a momentary break from work, from Jongin and the wedding. And in many ways, he was thankful toward Baekhyun for inviting him out. It was just what he needed. 


A/N: Chapter 2! Poor poor Soo. Baekhyun is such a great friend. HNN, my heart!