o1: Begin

First to Last

 

 

a/n: This story is very historically inaccurate, I can’t stress this enough. Thank you for reading!

BEGIN

It was the spring of 1951 when Jeon Jeongguk and his family moved to Daegu, a city not too far from the one Jeongguk grew up in, Busan. Jeongguk wonders why his family has to move him away from his friends and the sea and they always bring up the tension spreading around the country concerning North Korea, the communists. Jeongguk doesn’t understand the whole stirrup of it all, it isn’t like they would really go to war with North Korea. Nonetheless his parents insisted.

It was a beautiful day, a little on the cold side, but the clouds were rolling in and the rain was going to start any time now. Jeongguk was gloomy but not from the clouds. At school he told his friends, Min Yoongi and Kim Namjoon, the news that he’d be leaving and he isn’t sure if they’d ever see one another ever again. Both his friends were slightly older than him, two years apart from the younger Jeongguk. It was a really sad day for all three of them but no one shared their true feelings; they were men, after all.

Jeongguk laid in his bed that night with all his personal belongings all packed away and ready for the trip to Daegu but he couldn’t keep his mind from racing a mile a minute. He wonders how much different Daegu is compared to Busan. It shouldn’t be too hard to make friends, right? Jeongguk tried to calm his mind. ‘No, it won’t be so bad, stop worrying,’ is what he tells himself. ‘You’re overthinking this,’ and Jeongguk rolls his eyes at himself. Jeongguk suddenly misses the ocean that isn’t far from his house. He knows it will be the last he sees it and now he’s uneasy, upset, and exhausted from worrying too much.

Nevertheless, Jeongguk finds somewhat peace in his mind after what seemed like hours. He tells himself not to worry anymore. Maybe he will make new friends easily or maybe not. It’s not like he can change his parents mind. Jeongguk sighs, listening for the wind rustling through the trees. The sound softly carries him off to sleep.

scroll-right.png

It’s been a long trip to Daegu and Jeongguk and his whole family were exhausted. Tired of sitting on a train all day, Jeongguk helplessly peered out the window, his head resting on his hand. He watched the scenery buzz by in a blur, trees then clearing then water then more trees. It was just empty land out here and Jeongguk was bored out of his mind.

But a miracle happens. In the distance, Jeongguk clearly sees a city and maybe it’s destination. He perks up in his seat and his already big eyes widen in slight anticipation. Jeongguk turns to his mother, “is that Daegu, mom?” He asks as he puts his finger to the window and leaves a smudge.

His mom squints her eyes just a bit before she nods, “we’re almost there.” Jeongguk looks back at the town in the distance, both nervous yet eager. In a matter of 20 minutes the train starts to slow and the tracks screech with the train’s wheels. Jeongguk is pushed a bit from his seat and his heart is racing, he notices. He stretches and releases a breath of relief as he looks out the window again to see… people. A lot of people.

“Let’s get going,” his father says and breaks Jeongguk’s gaze from the others outside. Jeongguk and his mother only nod and they gather their belongings and leave the train (with Jeongguk before everyone else). Immediately, he’s met with fresh air. ‘It’s not home but it’s better than nothing’, Jeongguk thinks to himself.

    scroll-right.png

Two days have gone by since they first arrived in Daegu. The family is settled into their new home and are expecting a small gathering today hosted by the neighbors. Jeongguk isn’t all that interested, instead he wanders around the small rural neighborhood that is actually on the outskirt of actual Daegu. He definitely doesn’t mind though because the nature and landscape remind him very much of home.

“Jeongguk, come meet the neighbors!” His mother yells for him out the front door of their humble abode. Jeongguk stands up from his squatting position (he was looking at a lady bug that had found his way on his shorts) and dashed to the house where he was met with a small crowd. Old and young faces looked towards him in a friendly way and they welcomed him warmly.

“Hello, I’m Jeongguk,” came out of his mouth countless times and he bowed however many times he said those words. Eventually, Jeongguk loses count but he doesn’t mind to be courteous every once in a while. Wandering around looking at the new faces, Jeongguk doesn’t linger on anyone in particular for too long. He was interested in meeting new friends but mostly everyone looked too young or too old.

As he leaves for outside again he stops on his front wooden porch as his eyes trail up to meet a face he guess he skipped. A boy that looked like his age, taller though and had tanner skin than his own. Almost in a trance Jeongguk breaks away from it immediately and bows as the boy approaches him.

“Hello, I’m Jeongguk,” he repeats one last, hopefully, time. The other kid bows in return.

“I’m Taehyung,” he replied. Jeongguk looks at him and takes note of his features, especially the small but really noticeable mole on the tip of his nose. “I’m your neighbor.” Taehyung adds and all Jeongguk does is nod. In a way, Jeongguk is speechless. He wouldn’t admit something like that because it would be weird and Jeongguk doesn’t want to seem weird to his new neighbor.

“Welcome home,” Taehyung says while passing Jeongguk to enter his house. Jeongguk whips around, curious at how… strange Taehyung sounded. It shouldn’t sound so weird but it did but Jeongguk just let it pass by him. His eyes followed the dark hair of the boy’s as it disappeared in the crowd inside the house.

That night, Jeongguk sleeps with all the windows in his room open to listen to the sound of the wind in the trees again. He tries to remember everything that went through his head that day. From waking up to the moment he was in, Jeongguk’s thoughts are just a little fuzzy. Maybe he’s still worried, maybe he’s feeling sad, but one thing strikes a little cord in his head, and slowly his eyes close and his lips curl into a soft smile.

Taehyung’s mole is kind of cute,’ Jeongguk recalls to himself and that’s the last thought he has before slumber takes him away.