When We Met

A Little Too Bae

 

Featuring: Bae Sungyeon x Kim Minkyung.

A/N: Currently I kinda ship them a lot, also Sungyeon and Siyeon. Still hope you all enjoy the stories!

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

The late noon Sun shone on the grass lawns.

 

The students were leaving the campus now as I lose myself in my writings. With her running through my mind… Pressing the fullstop neatly down at the end of a sentence, the feelings trapped inside me released themselves in the form of delicate letterings across the pages. The passing breeze cooled off the heat in my head and I sighed in content.

 

The overhead clouds were fluffy now. I thought about what Nayoung told me yesterday…

 

Apparently, Kyulkyung never really noticed her feelings. Here I thought I was the tortoise, but it seemed like she was slower. They had been at this push and pull manner for ages and eons. Whenever it seemed like they got closer, they appear to be enemies the next day. Finally yesterday, she told me that Kyulkyung was now dating… and she was not the one.

 

“You know Minkyung, I guess it took me that long to figure out… that if you really love someone, you should tell them or you’ll regret it.”

 

I honestly felt sorry for her, but on my end… Would I ever be able to?

 

Closing my journal, I slowly leaned back against the trusty trunk of a tree and gazed upwards. The leaves shook gently in the winds. The low rustling gradually soothed my anxious nerves. If there was anything at all I learnt about love, it would be the things that make you notice someone at first. The little bits that make you really like someone…

 

My thoughts were quickly halted by the soft guitar strummings drifting through the air.

 

It’s her singing again.

 

Not the best voice, but it was clear and… just beautiful.

 

The first time I heard it, I did not put much thought into it. Like any other who strums a guitar and sing, I could play some decent chords and sing too… but hers became special. So I got stuck with her voice, and this spot too. It took me awhile to realize that it was not because I needed a quiet place to pen my daily thoughts into the journal.

 

It took me a lot to realize my feelings…

 

For instance, when the other girls joined me at my tree spot, Nayoung was the first to show her timely appreciation. “Oh Minkyung, now I know why you always sit here. It’s so cozy and romantic.”

 

Yet again, I didn’t think much about it.

 

Why did I sit here? It was a great spot after all, not forgetting the fact that I’m also kind of slow. Honestly, all I thought about during then was that my secret spot was doomed. Gone. Bang goes my peaceful silence because I was made to share it with these noisy crazies. Also…

 

I was a hundred percent sure they would hear her and they did. Why, oh why…

 

It was all rather comical recalling it now. What happened the day Kyulkyung decided to investigate what she thought was ‘a mysterious noise coming from the haunted building’. In my terms, would be labelled as creepily peeking into someone’s privacy but oh well, we all went anyway. Kyulkyung, Nayoung and me, that is.

 

I guess… I went along too because I wanted to see. I was curious and somehow they knew too… They knew I was too stubborn to own up to my long time curiosity so this was like an unspoken favor done for me. A silent opportunity.

 

I’m not sure why I couldn’t see it at the start. Why didn’t I realize the lingering tingles of anticipation whenever I thought of her. Maybe it was the thought of liking someone that makes one vulnerable. I know it’s a silly excuse but I didn’t want to be teased either. Getting teased by the rest… Ha. Not a chance.

 

Anyway, we couldn’t get inside the room without permission so we stood like idiots outside the door. Not for long though, because the room was empty. Here’s God on my side. Excuse the exaggeration. I was adamant to make sure they did not meet her.

 

My singing angel…

 

Nayoung saved my life with a rather reasonable excuse that it was lunch time and that we should leave before someone sees us snooping about. I gratefully let myself be ushered away. We were in the hallways when our gazes met. Coincidentally. Her lips were tugged upwards in that knowing way.

 

All of a sudden, I felt exposed and readied myself for a full out interrogation but all she did was place a hand on my shoulder. Simple as that, her touch felt warm and assuring. She never mentioned a thing about this to anyone and I swore I would always be there for her problems.

 

She was also the first one who told me what I was not prepared to hear. The first to give me courage to face what I wanted. How had she known what I thought I’ve hidden deep enough? Guess I’ll never know. She was the first to make my step for me.

 

A week after exploring the music room, Nayoung had promptly sent me a text.

 

It was in the middle of class but I couldn’t resist sneaking a peak at the phone. Mr Bias Kim had given me detention for making unnecessary noises and disrupting the lessons. Geez. It was just a shriek which, in my defence, was hardly audible from the back of the room.

 

“You’ll get to see her soon.” Damn. Never will I forget that…

 

 

And does Im Nayoung ever lie?

 

 

Nope, though the thing was…

 

 

 

 

 

 

****************************

 

 

 

 

 

My mind was already set while walking down the hallways.

 

Yes, I was going to serve an hour’s detention and then leave at the very first chance I got. The teachers escape for toilet breaks now and then. It will be fine. Who knew I would actually be ‘productive’ in there… Oh joy.

 

She had wide eyes when she saw my face at the door. “H-Hey, I’m Sungyeon.”

 

Really. I wasn’t too keen on introducing myself to someone whom I would only be spending an hour with… “The name’s Minkyung.” All I thought of was the seat beside the window was mine. Mine.

 

She watched with an amused smile as I dropped my stuffs onto the table. A chuckle escaped her lips as I watched the birds hopping about outside on the ledge. I felt a frown crease my brows and bit back on the regretful words I knew was going to come.

 

“Funny how it seems like they are staring at us in a cage.” Her voice was soft like she hadn’t meant for anyone to hear.

 

“Hmm…” I was still reluctant to converse. This was detention. I wasn’t exactly in the best of moods to be agreeing.

 

“What are you here for?” She asked.

 

“Uh… I…” What should I say? “I was…”

 

Her eyes widened again as our gaze met. “It’s cool if you don’t wanna say it. I don’t judge.” A small chuckle escapes her lips again.

 

I watched as she turned away to take a guitar case which I had been too grumpy to notice earlier. Guitar being my thing as well… It was like a habit to see what others can do with it. A common ground for music interest? So… She didn’t look the type that would have her hands on a string instrument. I guess I did judge her by her cover.

 

She glanced at me and I felt myself looking away instantly. My cheeks got warm.

 

“Do you play?” Okay, so she knew I was looking…

 

“Just a little…” Please. You’re looking at the pro.

 

She seemed surprised and I could see the contemplating look in her eyes. I was surprised too at my own actions, that I actually wanted to have a go at the guitar. Since I didn’t have mine with me. Just for an hour…

 

It was like magic when she handed the instrument to me. Abraca let me have your guitar dabra. I did not think she would let me touch her precious gem.

 

“Do you want to play?”

 

I suddenly felt self conscious with her watching me.

 

Carefully taking the wooden instrument into my hands, I spotted a golden painting on the glossy black surface. It was a flower symbol, I didn’t know what but this guitar was gorgeous. Another knowing chuckle escaped from her lips and I felt myself scowling a bit. Cheeky brat…

 

“Will they stop me if they hear music in here?”

 

She hasn’t stopped smiling. “Is this your first time here? How cute.”

 

My face went warm again and I took a deep breath to calm down. She spoke before I could say anything. “I’m the usual detention person here to be honest.” She seemed to have read the disbelieve on my face and continued, “I skip class.”

 

“You do?” That was unexpected. “Why?”

 

“To practice on the guitar. To write songs. To achieve my dreams one day.” Her tone was firm. She spoke like she didn’t have a care in the world and all that she wanted was simply to make music. I thought I would feel admiration from hearing these words but instead, I felt sad…

 

Again, why do we chase dreams…

 

“Why are you telling me these?”

 

She gave a shrug and gestured at me to continue.

 

It was really funny how things played out during then…

 

The moment my fingers touched the strings, I was just about to hit the first chord when the door opened. A teacher had come to relief Sungyeon of her detention. I was handing her back the guitar when she gave me another smile… Gentler than the playful smirks she had on earlier.

 

“You know, the view of that seat is the best.” She alternated her gaze between me and the windows before settling her round brown orbs onto me. “See you when I see you.” Those words were almost inaudible.

 

I found myself staring at her a little longer and then she retreated. Her smile still etched sharply in my mind. The sound of birds chirping disrupted my train of thoughts and I pulled my gaze to look out the windows.

 

The lawn by the building was indeed pretty but at this level, you could see a church tower in the distance across the large meadow. The evening sun was already coming down. The gentle mild rays falling upon my face felt pleasantly warm and I did not notice the slight tug of my lips until I stopped smiling.

 

Perhaps she was not such a brat after all.

 

 

See you…