Knowing You Well

A Little Too Bae

 

Featuring: Bae Sungyeon x Kim Minkyung.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A sweet tender voice drifted through the night air accompanied by slow strumming of the soft guitar chords. Her eyes closed as she sang, legs crossed over gently with the white guitar on her lap.  A small crowd had gathered up in front of the train station.

 

Many eyes were locked onto her serene form but one pair was particularly odd. Face wrapped beneath a large checkered cotton scarf, this pair of eyes never missed a single street performance. The chilly evening breeze blew past and stung at her pale cheeks.

 

Droplets of rain began to fall and people started moving away. The guitarist quickly grabbed at her guitar casing, packing it up. A soft whine escapes her lips as she struggles to open her umbrella, hair and casing already slightly drenched. The watchful figure steps forward.

 

“Bae Sungyeon.”

 

The guitarist glanced up in surprise as the shade of an umbrella loomed over her, “A-Ah…”

 

“Checked the weather forecast. Said it was going to rain.” A gentle smile greeted from above.

 

Sungyeon slowly got up on both feet, clutching the guitar case tightly to her chest, “M-Minkyung eonni…”

 

“Let me walk you home?” The older girl offered. Pulling gently at the guitar, wanting to carry it for the younger one.


 

A little progress now.

 

Minkyung could remember the last few months of high school right after Sungyeon had transferred in. She had never been woken up in the mornings by a singing voice that powerful. It woke her up better than her morning alarms could.

 

She had always wondered who it was singing.

 

Till one day she spotted the girl seated in the school corridors, strumming that white guitar. It had been a rather long debate then, but Minkyung had mustered enough courage to head up. Sungyeon hadn’t actually seen her, so she listened from the back as the younger girl sang.

 

The moment Sungyeon stopped, she asked quickly if they were in the same dorm. To which the younger had almost dropped her guitar in shock from the sudden question behind. Minkyung was right. She had found her little singing bird… In the form of a very adorable girl.

 

Being older by a few years, they were not in the same class but Minkyung liked visiting Sungyeon during break times. The girl still hadn’t really made any friends yet, fresh from transfer. Minkyung tried to introduce Siyeon to her. Siyeon was a friend in the same grade as Sungyeon. Though why both are still so awkward with each other till today… she cannot fathom the reason.

 

Instead, Sungyeon had gotten closer to a certain English speaking girl. One which Minkyung refuses to admit, made her a little jealous and also somewhat clingy.

 

Kyla Massie didn’t care though.

 

She didn’t seem bothered by how Minkyung would wrap her arms around Sungyeon’s frame protectively every second she had the chance to. She found it cute. She also find the fact that Sungyeon is rather oblivious to her surroundings most of the time, to be cute as well.

 

Kyla played the guitar sometimes and enjoys composing lyrics. Sungyeon and her got that very much in common. They would spend hours in each others’ rooms, on their singing and writing. Minkyung, of course, would be there too. Staring wide-eyed with fascination at how the younger one had that much talent.

 

So, she supposed these were the people in Sungyeon’s life. Hah yeah right. Only a fruitless hope, that is…


 

“So…” Minkyung began hesitantly as they reached the dormitory building. “I see Taehyung sunbae seems to be hanging around you a lot lately.”

 

“Oh he was helping me with a project because I haven’t got a project mate for it. My transfer was too late.” The younger explained, missing the surprised look on the older girl’s face.

 

“Does he text you often?”

 

“Kind of…” Sungyeon turns this time to meet Minkyung’s gaze with raised brows, “Why eonni?”

 

The older girl lets out a sigh. Shrugging off her shoes as she steps into the younger’s room, she places the guitar gently against the cupboard. How Sungyeon likes having it there. The younger followed suit and plopped down onto the bed.

 

“You could have asked me for help too.”

 

“I should have, sorry. Taehyung sunbae offered to help quite quickly though.” Sungyeon’s voice trailed off slowly.

 

A smile tugged at Minkyung’s lips and she goes to sit by the girl, reaching a hand out to squeeze gently on soft fluffy cheeks. “Eonni wants to help you in every way.” She lets out a cough after, clearing , “You know that right…?”

 

“I do…” Sungyeon blinks and then pouts as the grip on her cheeks began tugging slightly, “Eonni… stop…”

 

“Aw, what can I do for my cute Sungyeonie?”

 

“You can sing a song for me.” Sungyeon points at Minkyung’s shoes outside her room, “While waiting for your shoes to dry.”

 

An amused snort escapes from Minkyung, “You know I live just above you right…?”

 

“I also know you love singing for me.” A shy smile appears on Sungyeon’s face as she quickly gets up to close the door of the room. Grabbing her guitar case, she pulls her precious instrument out. “Here, eonni.”

 

“Again?” The older girl bit onto her lips at those words, attempting to stop a wide smile that was tugging at her lips. “Fine… Anything for my beloved one.” She had whispered the last few words.

 

Within the few minutes, Sungyeon had dozed off against the wall of the bed as Minkyung sang softly.

 

The melody of Minkyung’s soft voice lured the already sleepy girl into her dreamland. The older girl had noticed but didn’t stop singing. Instead choosing to watch Sungyeon cutely lowering her head onto her knees, she continued strumming the guitar lightly for a long while. It was like their common night routine.

 

Gently placing the guitar back against the cupboard, Minkyung gently laid the younger girl down onto the bed. Exhaling slightly as she studies the features of the sleeping girl. Sungyeon wasn’t the typical beauty but there is just something so intriguing about this girl she couldn’t quite put her finger to…

 

Slowly pulling at the covers, she bends down and gently presses her lips onto Sungyeon’s forehead. Drawing back, she lets out a light chuckle and brushes at the younger girl’s cheek with a finger.

 

“Sweet dreams, Sungyeon ah…”