What is Love [400 subs special - Part 2 END]

10th Member

I've talked to my aunt.
Apparently, now she lives far from the town. She doesn't visit the cafe anymore. That must be the reason why she has no idea how terrible the current condition of that place. I told her that Gene did a bad job managing that place. Unfortunately, she didn't buy what I said. She even told me that Gene was a smart girl and had a good aura when my aunt first met her. I kept convincing her to change the cafe's manager but, well, it's not that easy to find someone new to trust. But this is urgent because I think if we let Gene there too long, the cafe will be bankrupt instead. That's why now I'm heading to the cafe, only accompanied by Mina, using a taxi, so I can prove how bad the cafe it is now. I wanna take pictures of that place and send them to my aunt, so she can discover the truth.....

We arrive at 7 pm. Still kinda early. Mina and I come out from the taxi. Hiding our identity, we are wearing dark hoodies. In the front door, as expected, no one welcomes us. There used to always be someone welcoming the customers in my era. Hmm wait, I need to take a picture of how empty the front door is.

There are a lot of people today, more than what I expected. They are all listening to the cafe singer. Her voice is good. The guitar play is smooth as well. Hmm, not bad actually. At least Gene hires right people for the entertainment. The singer's voice amazes me tho, I wonder who she is. I can't see their faces as it's covered by a wall, I need to walk closer. Sigh, Gene shouldn't waste the budget on the entertainment only.  She should invest them on the decoration. It's really dark here, I can barely see anything! She also needs to focus to teach the staffs how to serve the customers well. How can she work half-heartedly like this?! If it's about work, I always give my best and enthusiast on everything given to me. She should be like that too, right? I tell all of that to Mina, she shakes her head. Even she agrees with me!
"But I recognize this voice, Annie," Mina says.
"Really? Who?"
"Yeah, I'm sure you know the person as well. Oh, you'll be surprised if you see her!" She doesn't tell me when I ask her who that person is. Likes to keep everything mysteriously, typical Mina. She makes me curious. Everytime!

After taking pictures of the bar, the menu, and the proof that only 3 people are working tonight, both of us find a seat. I take Mina to get closer to the stage as I want to see the singer and the guitarist. The stage is brighter than the other corners of the cafe. I'm a little bit surprised that some people suddenly give a big applause when Mina and I come. I'm afraid they recognize us. Luckily, they are clapping because of a song just ends. It's not for us. I sit on my chair and look up to the stage to-- Wait whatttt??!!!

I see one girl sitting in the middle of that small stage. A guitar is on her thighs. She is putting the mic back to its stand. I know that face. Even though she looks more beautiful with the make-up she has prepared well for tonight, I still remember that shy short girl. It's freaking Gene!

***

I walk to the stage. Sits there.
The guitarist smiles to me before plays the music. I grab the mic, looking at the audiences with phones ready on their hands. My face has revealed but I don't care anymore. 
I close my eyes and sing...


((a/n)) [Recommended] Play this song while reading: Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On


I'm so surprised to see Gene on the stage. She performs so beautifully, I was so amazed at the first I heard her voice. She dresses so well that I know she's giving her best for the job. And, apparently, that's correct. After talking to her on the backstage (Mina's idea), Gene tells us that she's struggling to manage this cafe. She is the new manager after my aunt fired two previous managers that have deceived her. The cafe turned out this bad because of them. My aunt has enough money for herself but not for the cafe. She tells Gene to take care of this place however she can. Even my aunt has kinda given up on this place.

Three little birds sat on my window
And they told me I don't need to worry
Summer came like cinnamon, so sweet
Little girl double-dutch on the concrete...

But Gene tells us that she already has a vision about the cafe. "Ohh, I want it to be fluffy like in the world of unicorns! With pastel colour theme drinks or drinks like the insta-famous galaxy drink and cute cakes. You know, a cutie concept. Twice a week, at night, we will have a band playing old English songs. Hmm... I want this cafe to have 2 colors as the main theme. My favorite colors will be purple and greenish blue, like teal and turquoise. What do you think, guys???" She tells us passionately. Her eyes are so alive while talking about it.

Maybe sometimes...
We got it wrong but it's alright...

Now, I'm glad that my aunt trusts this place to her. I know, eventually, this cafe will turn out great in her hand. How dare I think so bad about her? She loves this cafe! She loves her job! All I thought was this cafe meant a lot to me and nobody should ruin it. I was so shocked by what I saw here. What I didn't know is, it turns out bad because of many reasons behind it. I thought everything has to be perfect in my way. I realize it's not always about me, me, and me!

The more things seem to change
The more they stay the same
Don't you hesitate......

After talking to her, she suggests us to sing on the stage. "Just once, please! They will be happy to see Twice members here," she says.
"Annie, you should do it!"
"Me?"
Mina smirks. "The "original" singer of this place has to come back. Ah!" She turns her head to Gene. "Haeju is a fast learner, you know. She can master a new song right away. You like Corinne, right? Tell me, what's your favorite song again?"

Girl, put your records on!
Tell me your favorite song
You go ahead, let your hair down

People love our performance! Mina gives us applause from the behind of the stage. I look at Gene, she smiles so widely. "This is the first time I collab with someone on a stage using this song," she says comfortably. Somehow, I feel like she is close to me now. Her sparkling eyes tell me what to do...

Sapphire and faded jeans
I hope you get your dreams

Just go ahead, let your hair down!

A few days later, I come back to the cafe to hand some cash. I and the other Twice members decide to invest our money to this cafe. We also hang our signatures on the wall to show our support. Gene puts my signature, only mine, behind the stage as she wants it to be more special. 'Original singer' is put under that sign. That's so sweet of her. 
Gene shows the blueprint of this place in the proposal that she makes. She works really hard on the concept and the system of this cafe. Now as she has some budgets, she can realize her ideas one by one. She promises us that everything will be done under 6 months. It's funny to see this shy girl so optimistic about her job. I feel bad for judging her badly before. I can't hold my tears when I ask her for an apology. We both hug each other. "I judged you like that because of my ego, Gene! I promise I won't be like that to you anymore. To anyone!"
"It's okay, Sunbae. Sometimes we forget that life is not just about our self. I'm like that too. But the more we give to people, the more we will receive. I think the best way to take care our self is to give up on our self," she says.
"I know riiight~ That's so gooood...! Aww, I'm really sorry~~~ You're a great singer tho! A great manager as well, obviously. I hope you can catch your dream!" I tell her.
She's blushing to hear that. "Hehe thanks! You too, Sunbae."

You're gonna find yourself somewhere...
Somehow...

You can trust your love for this cafe to me! :D
She texts me just right after we left her. I smile reading it alone. I'm so happy that I don't tell anyone about it. I guess I just make a new friend! A lovely one.....

 

 

 



((a/n)) Add 'Gene' as your friend in aff! She is @MeowieJung, the winner of BNG event :D

By the way, I'm glad I can finish this story. Thank you guys for 400+ subs. Welcome to the party yey >.< I think this is the first time a non-Twice character gives a big good impact to Haeju in this series. Somehow, MeowieJung inspires me with her personality. I'm glad it turns that way. Also, I hope you guys understand what's happening when I mix some lyrics between the story. It's like a flashback, actually. Two things going on: One, Haeju's singing on the stage and two, the story between Haeju and Gene.
Hmm... I find it a lot easier when the story is about life learning or friendship. Writing romance is hard af lol, I'm not a romantic person (nor Haeju). After this, I'll focus on my life the chapter about Mina x Haeju. More drama is ahead, Haeju is still dating Sana tho (wtf). And Jihyo is still lowkey has a crush on her (another wtf). I'm not quite sure what will happen with them all in the end. I guess, let's find it out together! ;D
Oh, by the way, why is the title 'What is love'? It's because I think love can be found in many forms, one of them is passion on our job. Haeju really loves the cafe tho! She was so disappointed that so many things have changed after she left, lel, poor her :'3