Lonely Hearts Club

10th Member

On a peaceful morning, Tzuyu pulls me while I'm going to my room to meet Sana. "What is it?" I ask.

"Dina wants to meet you."

"Oh, why?"

"This is something related to when we were drunk a few weeks ago. Well, when YOU were drunk," She says.

I gulp. "Oh no... Did I make a mistake?"

"Just come in. Are you busy right now?"

"Umm.... I guess this is something important. Okay, I'm available right now. Just let me tell Sofie first," I say.

"Sure. Hhh...Just don't bring her along," She requests.

"Why?"

"Just don't." She looks so serious about it. I guess she will always be like that to Sofie. Tsk... Both of them can't get along indeed. There's nothing I can do about it...... By the way, when I was drunk? Jihyo is looking for me? What will that be about?

 

When I come to Tzuyu's room, I see Jihyo, Mina, and Momo are already there, sitting in a circle After I sit on an empty spot of the floor, Jihyo tells us that we're going to make a melody project! It's a sub-unit based on what I said when I was drunk. I don't remember anything from that night and, actually, so does everyone. Except Tzuyu. She told Mina and it gave her an idea to make this project.

"A sub-unit?!" I try to confirm what I hear.

"Yeah! Is that okay for you, Annie?" Jihyo asks.

"I'm excited! What song are we going to sing?" I ask.

"Well, that will be the topic our discussion today....."

 

We have a really fun discussion on what are we going to do with our sub-unit. We're considering what concept we should use, what kind of project we will make, and even the details like what will be our official group color. In the end, we decide to make an MV from an indie English song called 'Lonely Hearts Club'. It's a song by Marina & The Diamonds. Recommended by Mina. The lyrics are kinda depressing, typical her. All of us genuinely like it when she plays it. After eliminating many other songs and concepts, we decide to perform this lovely song.

  • As this song is her recommendation, Mina is in charge on anything related to the song, like the arrangement, singing schedule, quality check, etc.
  • Momo, of course, is in charge for the choreography. 
  • I'm in charge on the music video. We already decide the concept and the main plot together, I just need to compile their ideas into one solid concept. They choose me for this job because they know I like making stories. Ah, I also need to make some english rap lines for the song.
  • Jihyo will be our leader, as usual. She will be the one who takes care of us in general. She's also in charge to cooperate with the managers or people who will work with us in this project.
  • And the last, our long-legged maknae, has the toughest task. She is in charge of anything that hasn't mentioned before.

Ohhh... I'm really excited with this project. Everyone can't wait to see how farcan we bring this idea. This is gonna be great!

***

For a few months, we work about this project between our schedule. We always come back late than the rest of the members for some extra singing and dancing practices. We help each other to complete the tasks. Sometimes we get some problems in the middle. There are many decisions to make. Because of this ambitious project, 5 of us become so close to each other. And after a long journey, finally we wrap up the project. The video is edited and ready to publish! We are all so happy about it.

There are 3 locations that we use for this music video. A house (living room), the house's backyard (for a raining scene), and a big white studio. The living room is for the story scenes and the other two are for dancing and singing scenes.

The story is about a lonely girl who's going to kill herself. She is watching TV alone, on a couch and, at some point, almost attempts suicide with a knife. She is wearing a white hoodie, long pants and socks as it's raining outside.

We all play as the girl, in turns. It's like this girl has 5 "personalities". 5 "faces". The MV opens with Jihyo (as the girl) coming to the living room and turns on the TV. She is alone. She keeps the house dark without turning on the lamps. The only lights are from the TV and through the window, eventhough it's going to rain outside. Jihyo hugs her own legs and watching TV with a souless gaze. Then, in an exact same place and position, the girl changes into Tzuyu. She drops her hand on the couch, accidentally touching someone's hand. Tzuyu is surprised to see whose hand that is. Unfortunately, no one is there. She is alone in that room.............

Then it's changed to Momo. She tries to eat an apple. While peeling it, she hurts her own finger with the knife. Momo  the wound. It starts rain heavily outside. Mina's turn. As the song gets more depressive (in the MV), she's thinking to kill herself. She takes the knife and is going to slice her wrist. After thinking a little bit long, she turns off the TV, lets it all dark, and moves the knife to her neck. The lightning strikes outside, shows her shiloutte trying to kill herself. You know, with her dark swan aura, she really looks scary. After that, the last turn is mine. Suddenly, I freak out with what I'm going to do. I realize that I don't wanna die. I cry out loud, like a really stress person. That's a really tough acting, by the way. It's not just embarassing but also painful to do. I need to bring back my most painful memories to trigger the cry. I'm recalling about my mom, dad, and my little brother. I also think about that night when I told the members that I had left the group officially. That night when Sofie cried and Veronica locked herself in a room. Two takes, I cried for real hehe.....

The MV is closed by me hiding my head on my arms while hugging my legs. Then 4 shillouttes of girls approaches and hugs me. When the lightning flashes out, their shilloutes are gone for a second. Indicating that the girls hoping that she has some friends with her. She is lonely.

That short movie is mixed with our dancing and singing clips. In the white studio, we're wearing pink dresses like some crazy/creepy pink barbie dolls. A projector is shot towards us, making a rainbow background. In the backyard scene, we are wearing black hoodies with white shirt in the inside, combined with black track pants and sport shoes. Momo's choreography is so dope. It feels so bad but aesthetic too. The choreography is pure her idea, we don't add anything, as it was already awesome when the first time she showed us. The dance moves are so energtic, but at some parts it turns slow and depressed. It's so beautiful! For the dancing scene, they were making fake rain at the backyard. We also make individual singing clips there. The result is so cool. 

All clips are combined neatly in one music video. We were all there even at the editing process, especially me since it's my task to make sure the story line on the script fits with the actual video. I'm glad the directors, the editors, and basically all the crews were so nice. We are all satisfied with the result......

***

LHC - LONELY HEARTS CLUB

(click the title to listen to the original song, highly recommended)

INTRO

 

VERSE 1

[JIHYO]

Laugh track on a TV show

Echoes in the dark alone

I go to bed feeling bad

That I'm the reason that you're sad 

 

PRE-CHORUS 1 

[MINA]

January to December,

Do you wanna be a member?

CHORUS 1

[HAEJU]

Lonely hearts club

Do you want to be with somebody like me oh

[TZUYU]

Lonely hearts club

Do you want to be with somebody like me oh

 

VERSE 2

[MOMO]

I feel like if I'm too kind

Then you will only change your mind

[JIHYO]

Take advantage of my heart

And I'll go back into the daaark....

 

PRE-CHORUS 2

[MOMO]

Love will never be forever

Feelings are just like the weather

[MINA]

January to December,

Do you wanna be a member?

CHORUS 2

[JIHYO]

Lonely hearts club

Do you want to be with somebody like me oh

[TZUYU]

Lonely hearts club

Do you want to be with somebody like me oh

 

RAP BREAK

[HAEJU]

Uh

Stress!

Depression!

Why does everyone feel they're alone?

The girl who lives next door's killed this morning

She said die in sleep, you would feel nothing   

I know what you feel, the exact same experience, with darkness that shackled my mind, questioning my existence

In this lonely world..... Just remember.....

After a storm there will be a rainbow....

 

BRIDGE

[JIHYO]

Lonely hearts club

Do you want to be with somebody like me oh

 

CHORUS 3

([JIHYO] adlib)

[MINA]

Lonely hearts club

Do you want to be with somebody like me oh

[TZUYU]

Lonely hearts club

([JIHYO] Do you want to be with somebody like me)

Do you want to be with somebody like me oooooh.....

 

CHORUS 4

([HAEJU] 

Stop the sad songs

Light up your room

Why are you crying, come here, leave the darkness)

([MINA] adlib)

[MOMO] 

Do you want to be with somebody like me oh

 

CHORUS 5

[TZUYU]

Lonely hearts club

([HAEJU]

Drop the knife

We are here

We'll join your lonely hearts club)

[JIHYO]

Do you want to be with somebody like me?

***

With a simple thought but a deep meaning behind it, we name ourself LHC. It was such a great experience. I'm glad doing a melody project with these amazing 4 girls. I love them!!!

 

 

 



(a/n) The rap lyrics in the song is made by me Haeju. Originally, the song contains no rap :P