The Girl who Doesn't Know that She is Pretty

10th Member

"Wait, let me ask Jaehyun oppa if he can pick us up!"
"Wait, who?" I ask with a confused face, "Oppa??" She doesn't care and starts typing something on her phone. "Why don't we just go there with the managers?"
"Sssh, Ju, it's dialing... Ah hello, oppa? Yeah, it's me, Jeongyeon--" She talks on the phone. Originally we were just bored and wanted to do something different. I never hang out with Jeongyeon before so I thought it would be nice to have lunch together. But I guess it will be more than that. I hear Jeongyeon mentions about going to another town while calling. I wonder where she is going to take me. Who is Jaehyun by the way? Is he her boyfriend?? Huh if it's true then I hope it won't be just the three of us. It will be awkward for me.

Anyway, now all I can do is following this lady's plan.......

***

I take my bag and go outside the dorm. I can see a girl in the black-stripes white shirt is waiting for me there. A black backpack is hanging on her shoulders. "Here you are! At last..." Jeongyeon says.
"Haah... Are you sure we don't need any managers to go with us?"
"Yeah. I told you this is not the first time I go with Jaehyun oppa. The managers know him too. I already informed them anyway so don't worry with the managers, Haeju," Jeongyeon explains, "Oh you look tired? Is the bag too heavy?" she takes my bag initiative and put in on the ground. "No need to worry too much, okay?" Jeongyeon smirks.
"Okay okay, I won't. Well, I'm surprised tho that we will have a 2-days 1-night trip all of sudden. I can't believe the managers trust you to do it without any supervision."
"Hmm... Since you just mentioned it, now I wonder why too......... The other members never get permission to go like this except if there is me with them. Not even Nayeon or our leader, Jihyo." She is wondering. But I think it's kinda obvious because Jeongyeon looks really dependable and trustable. She is independent and able to solve any of her problems by herself. She helps the younger members and is responsible to the group everytime Jihyo and managers are not around, especially in the dorm. Everything is organized if there is Jeongyeon.

After waiting for 10 minutes finally, a black van shows up. It stops right in front of us. The window opens slowly and I can see a really handsome guy on the driver seat. Jeongyeon greets her manly. "Oh oppa!" She gives him a high five. She talks about one-two things before she introduces me to him. "Jaehyun oppa, this is Haeju. Haeju, this is Jaehyun oppa."
I shake his hands. "Hello..."
He shakes my hand gently and looks at my eyes. He doesn't smile but still looks friendly. "Okay if you guys ready let's get into the car right away. Aniq, help them to bring their bags!" He orders someone inside the car.
"No no, it's okay. We don't bring much, "Jeongyeon replies as she opens the van. C'mon, Haeju!" 

I'm a bit hesitated because the car looks kinda scary. The windows are so dark. It's like a kidnapping, but I guess I'm just being insecure in front of new people, as usual. I hold Jeongyeon's hand and enter the van. After the door it's closed, the car departs.
"Oh yeah Haeju, this is Aniq. He is Jaehyun's nephew. Aniq, this is Haeju noona, Twice's 10th member," Jeongyeon introduces me to the boy who sits on the front seat. Aniq looks like his uncle a little bit, not as handsome as him tho. I guess Aniq is around my age. Ah, that makes me wonder how old is this Jaehyun oppa.
"Yeah, I know she is the new member. Nice to meet you..."  smiles widely while shaking my hand. 
"Nice to meet you too," I reply.
"Dahyun, actually Aniq is a big fan of you. Is that correct, Aniq?" Jaehyun says. 

What? Dahyun??

Aniq looks surprised and confused. Jeongyeon is holding her laugh, but it's not for long. She laughs so hard because he called me wrong. "She... She is not Dahyun, Oppa!" She says while calming herself from laughing too much.
"Oh am I wrong? I'm really sorry, what's your name again, dear?"
"My name is Haeju. Ahn Haeju...."
"Ahn Haeju? Okay, I will remember that. I'm really sorry. To forgive me, I guess you can drop the formality on me, Haeju. Just call me 'oppa' like how Jeongyeon does," he says it calmly.
"You don't need really to do that. But anyway thank you, ehm..... Jaehyun oppa."
"It's okay it's fine."
"You can just call me Aniq too if you want. If I'm not wrong, you're older than me, aren't you?"
"95 liners. Yes, she is older than both of us, Aniq," Jeongyeon reply, "Oh, by the way, I don't know you are a fan of Dahyun. You should have told me!"
"No no, I am not..." Aniq sounds awkward. "What are you doing?" He nudges his uncle. Jaehyun doesn't respond.
"I can make you meet her. I'm close to Dahyun, well, obviously. You know that, right?" Jeongyeon starts to . Aniq laughs. And after that, both of them tease each other. It's kinda funny. They look close to each other, like brothers. Hmm yeah, somehow Jeongyeon acts boyish in front of him. I never see her like this before.....

***

Ahn Jaehyun, an actor

After a long ride, we stop to have lunch in a restaurant. Jaehyun oppa treats meats for us. It's so nice of him. I just discovered that he is actually an actor. When Jeongyeon said his name before, I thought the one who would show up will be Jaehyun from NCT. It was because it was the result when I looked his name up on google. Turns out Jaehyun oppa is a famous 33 years old entertainer. Yeah, he looks so damn young for his age. And what's more surprising is he's already married and has a son! So bad hehehe...
"I don't know you are also from the 'Ahn' family," he tries to speak to me. Meanwhile, Aniq and Jeongyeon are still joking around, even though Jaehyun oppa sits between of them. 
"Ah yes, I am. Are you too?"
"Yes. Me and Aniq. Where do you come from, Haeju?" I see that he already remembers my name hmm...
"I'm from Seoul..."
"Ooh... Both of your parents too?"
"No, they are not. Just my father. My mother is from America."
"Oh really? But you don't look like an American for me."
"Yes, my mom is originally from-"
"THE MEATS ARE COMING!!!" Aniq shouts as the foods are here. He and Jeongyeon look so excited about it. To be honest so is me! I feel so hungry right now. This is a late lunch.
"Enjoy the foods, Aniq, Jeongyeon, Haeju. No need to shy. Take as much as you want."
"Thank you, oppa!" Jeongyeon says and I follow her. Like she usually does, she takes some meats and grills them by herself. "It's okay. Let me grill it for you too," she says when I'm trying to help her.
"Ah, thanks...."

We eat so much today. The meats are so delicious! But there is one problem: Apparently, Jaehyun oppa is so 'generous' that he keeps order the foods more and more. At first, it was okay because we were so hungry. But now he orders too much when my stomach already reaches its maximum capacity. So is Jeongyeon's. After finish eating, Jeongyeon whispers to me, "Should we go to the toilet, Ju?" I agree and we immediately leave the table.
"Whoaa... I don't think I can continue eating. I'm so full! The sauce is really hot too," I say to her when we arrive at the toilet.
"Just.Enter.First, Ju. My stomach is so...." she is stuttered. Jeongyeon then enters one of the opened stall. stalls a few minutes I come out and, not long after that, Jeongyeon does too. "Wow, you're so fast Ju!"
"Phew, yeah... But I feel kinda lighter now. How about you? You really don't look well."
"It's okay, I feel better too...." 
"Jeongyeon, I think we should go back right away. They are already waiting for us in the car as that was what they said while we were leaving them. Hurry!"
"Really? Ok then. Calm, Haeju, calm. They won't leave us here."

As what they said, Jaehyun oppa and Aniq are already in the car so we immediately join. Unfortunately, there is an unexpected thing happens. Not long after we enter Jeongyeon breaks wind accidentally. The sound is loud enough to make the guys on the front seat hear it, so they can't pretend to hear that. What's so surprising is she's still calm after doing it. She just yells 'SO SORRY, GUYS' and then opens the window. Jaehyun oppa opens all the car windows. No one makes a comment.

I feel kinda guilty because I told her to go back hurriedly before, but I do not dare to say anything to her. I know she would be angry if I apologized to her hmm...Anyway, it just needs 5 minutes until me, Jeongyeon and Aniq have a normal conversation again. To be honest, at this point I'm amazed to her. If it was me I would be so embarrassed and made everyone felt awkward about it. But not her. She is so cool...

***

It's already dark when we arrive at the hotel, so we decide to go around tomorrow. Jeongyeon brings Nayeon's camera here so he can do one of her hobby, photography. But for now, the plan is just swimming before sleeping. Actually, it was because I said that the swimming pool looked so good when I saw it, which made Jaehyun oppa suggested us to swim. Aniq and Jeongyeon said they agreed, so was I. But inside I didn't really like the idea. 
"I'm shy, Jeongyeon....." I speak to her in our room.
"Why, Haeju? You bring the swimming suit like what I told you, right?"
"Well, yeah I bring it, but... They are all guys!"
"What do you mean?"
"I don't want them to see me in a swimming suit............."
"Oh my gosh. Jaehyun oppa is already married. And Aniq is........ It will fine, Haeju, no need to be shy. Or should I just swim without you? It won't be fun tho...."
I stand close to her, grabs her shoulders and makes her look at me. "We are girls, Jeongyeon! C'mon, let's swim later with the members instead if you really want to do it. But not for now..." 
"But....."
"PLEASE!" I say as I look at her eyes. "I'm sorry but I can't......"
Jeongyeon takes a deep breath. "Okay, Haeju, I understand. Let's not do it then. I guess you feel so uncomfortable with that. And, yeah, I will accompany you." She winks.
"Thanks, Jeongyeon!!!" I hug her happily.
"Woop, ehhhh okay, Ju. Geez! It's okayyy... For now, let's just find them. I will talk to them. Okay??" she says awkwardly. So cute.
"Okay!"

When we arrive at the swimming pool, the guys are already swimming. They look surprised because we don't look like people who are going to swim. Jeongyeon then explains to Aniq that she just doesn't well enough to swim right now. Yeah, I know right, she lies for me. That's s sweet! Aniq even teases her because Jeongyeon is actually so bad at lying. I guess he sees that. But anyway she dodges it with her own way. Now thanks to Jeongyeon I don't need to wear a swimming suit in front of them. Aniq tells his uncle about us, but he doesn't really care about it. He keeps swimming as he says it's been a while for him to swim. Meanwhile, Aniq decides to stop swimming. He asks us to play cards together besides the swimming pool while enjoying some snacks and beverages. We agree.

Playing with them is so fun! I laugh a lot. Aniq is a really fun guy, not mention that he is handsome just like his uncle. From how I see him, I think he has a crush with Jeongyeon. He looks at her differently. He treats her so nicely and it looks like he is trying to get to know her better. But to be honest, I'm not sure what Jeongyeon thinks about him. Does she even realize it? Hmm...

Jeongyeon goes to find the waiter to order more snacks. Not long after she leaves us, Aniq joins her. It takes a really long time for them to return. I wonder what they are doing there. After 20 minutes or more, Jeongyeon comes back with her not-so-happy face. "Haeju, come here!" she says as she gives me her hand. I grab it and then she pulls me into our room. "What's wrong, Jeongyeon?" I ask her. She doesn't answer. Jeongyeon sleeps right away after we find our room. 

The next day I feel like Aniq and Jeongyeon become awkward with each other. I notice that Jeongyeon tries to avoid him. It's the same when we are in the car on the way home. They don't really talk to each other anymore. They are busy with their phones. Well, sometimes when Aniq tries to talk with Jeongyeon, she just answers it recklessly (she is still trying to sound nice tho). Definitely, there is something wrong about them, but I'm not brave enough to ask it to Jeongyeon. I try not to notice that and play along with her instead. I'm wondering what just happened between them? I think that's Jaehyun oppa also notices what's going on. I think he knows that there is indeed something wrong, but just like me, pretend that he doesn't know it. Or maybe he doesn't care at all? Hmm... But at least he still treats us well until the end.

But overall it's a good trip that I have wit Jaehyun oppa, Aniq, and especially Jeongyeon. Even though it's kinda unique, but I'm happy~

***

"So what did happen there?" Jeongyeon doesn't seem ready to talk about it when I ask her, although there's no one in this room except two of us. The other members are in the TV room watching a movie. "Did Aniq say something bad to you?" I ask her again.
"No no... That's not it," She finally speaks, "Well, it was a good thing to say after all...."
"Ooh... Then why do you look so restless?"
"Am I?"
"Yes... I'm worried."
She takes a deep breath before finally says, "Okay, the fact is...... Aniq confessed his feeling to me, Ju."
"Oh really? I knew it!"
"You did?"
"Kinda have expected it. He is close to you, right? And you are pretty. Nice too..........."
"No!" Jeongyeon cuts me. I'm startled. "How can I be....... Ugh! Mm... Do you want to know what he said to me, Haeju?"
"Yes, please tell me."
"Mm... He said that he liked me since the first time we met. When I asked why he answered that because I was fun and beautiful! AND THAT'S WHY I...!" Jeongyeon doesn't finish her sentence.
"That's... That's why you what?"
"I rejected him of course. That was nonsense!" 
I'm surprised by her yelling. "Wait... I'm sorry Jeongyeon, I don't follow. Why is it a... nonsense?"
"Because of his reasons! I'm not fun. Duh! And obviously, not beautiful as he said. He must be lying. What did he even think about me at that moment? I can't believe he said that!" Still, Jeongyeon shocks me with what she says. I'm not sure what to say right now. "Was it because it was already late. I was alone. Did he think that I was easy so he approached me like that?? What a ert!"
"Yeah, I shouldn't let him follow you that time....." I try to just agree with ther for now.
"I know right! It was so fortunate that I could leave him!"
I can see that Jeongyeon looks quite angry about it. But, to be honest, I don't think this is right. "Hmm... Are you sure he really thinks like that, Jeongyeon? It looks like that he is a nice guy for me."
"Men are all the same, Haeju."
"Ah yeah, we can't judge someone by his look I guess....... But I'm confused with the fact that you don't believe him just because he said you were fun and beautiful."
"Huh? What do you mean?"
"I mean you ARE fun and beautiful."
"What??" She looks at me weirdly. "I'm not the fun type nor the visual type. You can say that to someone like Nayeon, Dahyun, Mina, or anyone else, but not me!"
"No, I don't think so.... Look, I'm not lying. Anyway didn't both of you always have fun together every meeting? It's logical that he thinks you are fun." Jeongyeon can't say a word. I continue speaking. "And if you want me to be really honest," I lower my voice, "For me, you are top 5 pretty members of Twice! You are even better than some of the idols from the other groups. You are visual! And I'm not trying to make you feel good. Trust me, I'm just being honest. Well, I can't say you are the prettiest tho hmm......."
It looks like she doesn't believe what I just said. "Do you really think so?"
"Of course!"
"Mm... Hah! Yeah, he might think that I'm fun. But am I.... Nah! I'm not pretty, Ju"
"Don't you often hear people compliment you?"
"Yes, but it's just either formality or a joke. And most of the compliments are after I become the part of Twice, not before. I grow up as an unpretty girl, Haeju, People didn't compliment me as beautiful. Why do you think it is? But it's okay, I have accepted since the long time ago." she explains.
"That actually makes sense because you have this serious aura when you don't talk. You are charismatic. I guess people didn't see you as an easy girl. You are also so playful so they are more likely to see you as a friend to joke with. It just happened that Aniq was brave enough to confess what he really felt about you that night........" I try to convinve her for the last time. If she doesn't get what I mean with this, I don't know what I can say to her anymore.
Jeongyeon is thinking about it. "Oh, I don't know, Ju. I'm not sure about it. By the way, earlier you said that I was top 5 in Twice, didn't you? Now, who do you think is the prettiest member in Twice? I think I will accept what you say if I can prove that you really have a good taste."
"Hmm.... But don't tell anyone, okay?"
"Sure"
"The prettiest? That's easy actually. Obviously ME......." I say simply. It's quite for a second until both of us laughing. "Do you still think there's wrong with my eyes? Hahaha....."
"Hahaha... I can't argue with that!" she says. I think the situation is cooling down again. 
I grab both of her hands. She is surprised and looks at me. I stares at her eyes. "Please Jeongyeon, after this, never think that you are not pretty again. Okay? I know that you are prefer to be dorky or using your handsome girl-crush persona, but you are still gorgeous for me no matter what. You can't lie to yourself, the face is there. You are beautiful inside and outside. 
And to be honest it's kinda annoying for me as a girl to see someone who is so pretty yet she denies it. There is a difference between being humble and unconfident, right? Again, promise me that you won't think yourself as not-a-pretty-type, please." 
"Y.. Yeah.. Alright, Ju," Jeongyeon stutters.
"Good. Hah! Thanks." I smile widely. 
Finally, her hands that I'm grabbing become more relaxed. It's so quiet. Jeongyeon looks at both of my eyes for a second, then her head comes closer to me. All of sudden she lands a kiss on my lips. I'm so surprised!!! It's so quick and unexpected. I look at her and try to read her expression. But I guess I know what she is thinking. Every girls are happy when someone says that she is pretty, right? Maybe she feels so loved today. 

So am I.

I'm glad I can be a friend of this charismatic-yet-beautiful woman.......

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



((Author's note))

Ah, finally I come back! I really miss you guys :P I also miss "Haeju" and the girls~ I'm so busy these days so I can't continue writing. It's just a simple story this time, not like the previous chapters that I gave a lot of thoughts of efforts in making them. Ah, I use Jaehyun as a character because currently I'm enjoying the variety show he stars in: 'New Journey to The West S4'. It's a really fun show! And 'Aniq' is my friend's (nick?) name who is really a fan of Jeongyeon~ 

This story is actually the 21st chapter. There are 4 chapters before this story as drafts that I haven't finished writing. It's a one long horror story. I enjoyed writing the first chapter so much. That story is special because it will be the closing of this fanfic. There will probably be season 2 hmm.... I don't know yet~ Anyway I will continue the story as soon as I have time to do it. Please look forward to it >.<