Value - De - Value - Over - Value [Prologue]

10th Member

(a/n) I wake up standing up in the dark. There's a door slightly opened in front of me but I can't see what's outside. Only a yellowish light comes inside the room. "Where am I?" I ask myself, "Am I in Haeju's realm again?


['10TH MEMBER' CHAPTER 99: THE HAPPY ENDING]

As usual, Sana blames herself for this situation. Although she doesn't understand the big picture, she knows who to blame for her break up with Tzuyu. She's the one who's crying doesn't make all her fault. She shouldn't believe in a fortune teller, she shouldn't take a relationship easily, she shouldn't put her feelings too much, and most importantly, she shouldn't involve a STRANGER in this situation. "I don't believe in magic anymore!" she yells. Sana blames them heartfully.
Now Tzuyu is on her way to pick up Sana and she doesn't know what to expect. "I will take it if she's angry with me. I won't fight back if she slaps me or anything. She has the right to be angry," she says to herself. Sana thinks it's the best to expect the worse. But whatever Tzuyu will do to her, Sana has fallen for her. She will love her anyway.
('Supernatural Coincidences' chapter: 'The Ex')

***

The deck of cards is spread on the floor. I'm proud to show Tzuyu and Mina the result of me practicing to spread the cards like a magician. Unfortunately, I'm not doing magic here. Fortune telling is a different thing. Tzuyu and Mina know what I'm going to do but this is the first time Mina watches me do a tarot reading.
"Okay, pick 3 cards," I tell Tzuyu who sits right in front of me. It's really nice of her that she wants to be read by me over and over again. A few days ago she told me, "Let me be your guinea pig," when I asked her to do it for the first time. Tzuyu wants to get along when I take her into a serious discussion, that's why I like her so much. 
"Wow, The Fool!" Mina exclaims when we're opening the cards one by one.
"You know about it?" I ask, surprised that she knows.
"I've heard about it. I don't know what it means," she answers.
"The meaning of The Fool is...... It actually means a lot in a reading. Let me concentrate first," I say. Then, I glare at the cards that Tzuyu picks. It's quiet for a while. "This is a real supernatural thing and I've been thinking about how to improve myself, Tzuyu. You know I'm always so slow at first, right? My reading becomes accurate as our conversation flows and as I'm drowning to the subconscious level," I tell her, "I think it's the best for me to ask you some questions before jumping into the cards. I'm mutable, anyway, both my Gemini and Pisces. I need you to trigger me." 
"Alright... What should I do?"
"Hmm..." I stop speaking again, so they do. "Mm... How are you today? Is there something important going on these days?" Tzuyu looks confused to hear it. "Okay okay, how about this card? How about you with people around these days? Is there a problem?" I ask again.
"I think you know that I cried yesterday. You know... Ah, Mina Unnie doesn't know-"
"You cried?" Mina asks.
"Yeah... Jihyo Unnie said something that broke my heart. I'm okay now and I don't hate her, but..." after that, Tzuyu tells her conflict about Jihyo. Mina and I listen to her carefully. Her stories give me a chance to bring up a discussion and to feel what she feels. As expected, it makes it easier for me to interpret the cards. After getting enough trigger, I can deliver the messages that the cards want to tell Tzuyu smoothly. I predict them all correctly.

It's a success!

"Wow, Unnie! So accurate, as always," Tzuyu says.
"Since when you have a psychic ability, Ju?" Mina tries to compliment me as well.
"Hehe... I've been practicing. Anyway, Mina, it's your turn!" I smirk to her, "Let me read you now! Your life isn't what you think, Mina. Ohh, you have no control over it..."

***

Sana is surprised to hear what Tzuyu said. "So... You're a psychic too???" she's confirming.
"I used to be. Yes," Tzuyu answers shortly.
"Whoaa... Daebak! So, what are we going to do now?"
"I want to meet the seer who read your fortune."
"Why?"
"Just bring me to her. You'll see..."
"Alright!" Sana answers excitingly. She's happy to know that she was dating someone who can do something supernatural like Tzuyu. She has been obsessed with it for a long time. She thinks it will be great to have a personal fortune teller at home. "I shouldn't break up with her.. Hihi!"

(Supernatural Coincidences: The Ex)

***flashback***

"Juju-ya, do you want some?" Sana offers me some cookies she's been eating. We're in a car now, heading home right now from a TV show. The other members aren't with us.
I take one from her hand. "You haven't eaten before?"
"I... I ate something this morning."
"Aah... Poor you. I'm not hungry, by the way..." I'm hesitant to tell her that I'm full because I eat my dinner box with Chaeyoung. I feel a little bit guilty not to ask her to come along with us.
"Ju, I remember something!" she yells out of sudden.
"There was a Once met me on the backstage earlier. She's so cute!"
"Namja?" I ask.
"Yeoja."
"Ohh... Why is she cute? Why didn't I see it?" I ask again.
"She's the one who gives me these cookies, you know?"
"Really?"
"Yes! I think that's why I didn't eat my dinner box. I gave it to her."
"Did she ask you to exchange?"
"No..."
"Ah, is it because 'We're going to go home after this anyway' that's why you give yours to her?" I ask her. Somehow, I'm curious why she did that.
"Ngg... Not really. I just thought because she gave me something, I should give something back to her," Sana says.
"But... You're an idol. You've given much by performing on the stage or talking to her. Well, you can give her a sign-"
"I did! She asked for a sign as well."
"You gave her the rice and sign?"
"Yes. Isn't it a good thing to do? As a human being?" she says it while looking at me. Her gaze is empty, means that I know she's not hiding anything behind what she says. She means it.
"Whoaa... You're really an angel, Sana-ya," I tell her.
"You think so?~" she sounds happy to hear that. "Haeju too, is a beautiful angel."
"You're so kind-hearted. So pure."
"Aww~ You're a God then," she says.
"What? Hahaha... Goddess Haeju."
"Angel Sana."
I'm legit amazed with someone in front of me right now. It's not the first time I caught her being nice to the other people like this. I think, compared to the others, Sana is just nice. She has a kind-hearted. She does good deeds just because, I guess, her heart tells her so. In this society full of bad people and betrayals, it's rare to find someone as pure as her.
She's perfect but that's just impossible, right? Everyone has a weakness. Everyone has their layers. Their dark side. I wonder what makes her like this. It must be related to her zodiac sign. A human is just a bunch of structured personality traits compiled into one body. So is Sana.

"When is your birth date again, Sana?"

***

Mina reads the update of my fanfic with Tzuyu. "So when they met Madam Jihyo-"
"Ma. Dam. Jihyo?" Tzuyu tries to pronounce that.
"Yup, that'ss correct," I tell her.
"In front of Madam Jihyo, Tzuyu pretends that she's not a tarot reader?" Mina asks.
"Yes."
"Interesting... She just wants to test Jihyo's skill. From that, we know that Tzuyu might have a lot of experiences. This is not the end of chapter 4, right?"
"Not yet," I answer her.
"Jihyo could be wrong then. I guess it will be interesting if Tzuyu isn't Sana's destined partner. Jihyo read it wrong and Sana believed her. Will it be like that? Ahh... that's why Sana doesn't feel comfortable with Tzuyu. They're not meant to each other. It's just a mistake that both of them are together. Sana's blunt confession at the bus stop happened because of Jihyo's inexperienced reading skill. Aww, ottokke..." Mina tries to analyze my story.
"Jihyo Unnie is a fraud? Nice nice," Tzuyu talks to herself.
I Tzuyu's shoulder. "That's exactly what I think. I don't know if it's good or not, I want people to think Sana and Tzuyu are not destined. I'm kinda want to break the readers' heart in this chapter, hehe..." I tell Mina. "BUT!"
"But?"
Mina smirks. "But...?"
I continue my sentence, "Because Tzuyu is also a tarot reader, so she can read Sana's future about her love life, right?" I try to provoke her mind, "Get it?"
"Tzuyu will read Sana's fortune! Aaaahhh, I know where this is going. Oooh, you have to make it touching then! You have to make it that Tzuyu and Sana seem like they have no future together before Tzuyu reads Sana. People must think that way before you give out the twist. Sana will be the representative of the readers who lowkey wishes that Tzuyu is actually meant for Sana. OR... Are you planning to make a sad ending?" Mina asks.
"I don't know. It can also be a lesson for Sana not to depend your life on something like, you know, MAGIC. If it's like that, the story must have a sad ending. But my original plan is a happy ending, the same with what you tell me just now. You guess it accurately. More less," I say.
"I see... I like it, Ju! I like the direction that you take. Good job, good job," Mina gives her thumbs to me.
"Thank youuu~!"
"I like your story too, Unnie. I will support it until the end," our maknae says. She's speaking gibberish, I know. This whole discussion is a garbage.
"Aww, come here you," I hug her. I reach my arm so I can huge Mina as well. That makes three of us are hugging together. Suddenly, I'm touched. Right now I'm with the best friends I ever have. These two people are the best persons that I can use out of the other members. I'm so happy that I own them, they who can always satisfy my ego. My life is all about my world that I manipulate. It's all about me! I feel so grateful to live like this. 
As my Satzu fanfic has reached the end, so is my life.

My life feels like a happy ending!

 

[THE END]


(a/n) I try to move my body but I can't. I'm paralyzed. I barely can't see anything except where the light touches, which is nothing. It's bright on one spot until a shadow comes and blocks it. It's a tall girl with long hair. I can't clearly see her face but she feels pretty. I try to find something to hold on as I'm unconsciously nervous. But that feeling is gone as soon as I hear her voice.

"I get it, Author-nim," Haeju says in English. It's so bizarre to hear her speaks in my language as I always imagine her speaking in Korean. She walks into the room and pushes the door so the room becomes darker but not completely all-black. "I've understood what happens. Now put me back to the present time," her voice is cold and flat. I guess it's exhausted to jump into the chapters, exploring the meta-world, and seeing yourself in the third perspective over and over again. Maybe her personality gets distorted a little bit because of that. That's my fault. I want to say sorry but something stops me. It's not the time to keep apologizing, I guess. Let me just help her by taking an action.
"You want to go back to the latest chapter?" I confirm her request.
"Next chapter. Let me do my role as a character this time, not someone outside the story. Let it flows naturally," she suggests.
"But you might lose your memories!?" I tell her.
"I've learned many things from my life, Author-nim. It's already planted in my unconscious level. I'm sure, as a character, I will act by that," she explains.
I sigh. I know this day will come. There's nothing I can do but granting her wish, "Are you ready?"
"I am."
I take a deep breath. It really hurts to hear Haeju acts not like how I know her. I know she's struggling deep inside. But she's the one that I can trust. I'm sure she's okay. I hope she is. "Haeju, I trust you," I tell her.

"..."
"..."
"Thank you, Author-nim," she says with a louder voice than before. Not louder. Closer. She just walked forward to me. I try to see her face but all I see is dark. 

I try to reach her with my hand but I can't find her. She's still there, not so far from me, but I can't hold her.

I start hearing a music from the outside of this room. It feels like there's a party outside but the voices aren't that loud from the place where I'm standing. "Haeju..."
"Yes?"
I smile. I decided that if she can't see me, at least she will hear me differently if I talk while maintaining my smile. "Take care of yourself, okay?" I try to speak as soft and as friendly as possible. I wanna meet her human's side again. She's a person, just like me. I don't wanna devalue her.
"Sure," she takes a step closer to me again. Now I can feel that she's really in front of me. I can feel her smiling back. "My friends are waiting for me, aren't they? I need to come back soon," she reminds me.
"You're right, Dear. Okay... Uhh, goodbye!?"
She pats my shoulder and walks through me. I walk forward to the slightly opened door. To real life. 
"See ya, Haejuuu!" I scream.
She clears her running nose before answers me. She's apparently crying. "See ya, Author-nim!"
"Good luck!"
"You too! Hihi..."
I reach the door and instinctively I open it so widely until the light brights out the room. I can see her back leaving me. Haeju is just a normal girl, just like me. What did I expect to see? She's just great because she chooses to be. I'm proud of her. 

Haeju keeps walking to the dark with a slightly shorter girl next to her. I can see them holding each other's hand. I see them just for a second before everything gets dark again.

 

"Who is that girl beside her?"