The Years

Emergency Room

That was two years ago.

Kim Jong Kook, now a bearded man, smiled as he remembered what happened to him and Song Ji Hyo before. That time, when he found out that the woman married Dong Wook when he told her to, he was in total despair. He quit show business, and cut all of his contract and contacts. He bid his friends goodbye for a while, and now that he has finally accepted the fact that things aren't really meant to be, he looked at the mirror inside his bathroom, and smiled again. He took the shaver and cream to get rid of his long beard.

His phone started ringing soon after he was done shaving. He went to where he put his phone and answered the call. It was a call from a place where he has submitted his application. He applied for a job as a singer, and he smiled when the caller told him that he's already accepted. He has to be interviewed again, and after that, he can start singing live in front of the many customers of a certain restaurant. When the call was ended, he was reminded of how his songs were so telling before.

No one knows where he is. When it was confirmed that Dong Wook married Ji Hyo on the day that he was really willing to forget and accept everything just so he can be with the woman, after that day, he booked a flight to Kansas. It's funny how he flew to Kansas knowing Ji Hyo used to stay there, but he knows that Ji Hyo won't return to that place anymore, and he definitely knows he's right because Ji Hyo has never returned. He smiled as he reminded himself, "She's definitely so happy now, so do forget her now, too."

When he went out of the room, he rode a cab to go where he's supposed to go. He arrived at the office where he'll be interviewed, and was surprised to see a familiar face, greeting him. "Congratulations!" the person told him. "Do you work here?" he asked the woman. The woman nodded at him and said, "It's been a while since I've been working here." When he was about to get inside, he told the woman, "I still have to be interviewed, so please save that greeting for later." The woman smiled at him and said, "You'd definitely be hired."

"You're hired." said the staff. He was confused on how he was able to be hired when he hasn't had another interview yet. "Ms. In Na said that you're already qualified, so she gave you a pass." said the staff. "In Na-ssi?" he asked. The staff nodded his head and said, "Ms. In Na is the owner of the place you'll be working for. I bet you two have known each other for quite time since she only has good words for you." answered the staff. "Good luck. Do well." said the staff as he introduced himself, "I'm Nam Goong Min."

He shook Goong Min's hand as he said, "Thank you." Goong Min smiled at him just as he saw In Na walking in. "You didn't tell me that you're the owner." he said. In Na smiled at him and said, "It's because you didn't research about the place you're applying for." He coughed a little when he heard that what she said was true. "That's okay. I'm happy to have hired someone whose singing skills are really good." complimented In Na. He looked at In Na and saw how bright she is despite the similar thing that has happened to her.

"Aren't you going to ask about them?" In Na asked when he turned around to leave. He stopped his steps, but didn't turn around to look at In Na when he said, "It's enough for me to know that she has married that one she truly loves. I have moved on already." In Na didn't react, so he just continued to walk out of the room. Destiny might have been so cruel to him because when he rode the cab on his way home, it suddenly stopped moving. "I'm sorry, Sir. The taxi ran out of gas." said the cab driver. "You don't have to pay me, Sir." the driver added.

He thanked the driver and wished him good luck. He just decided to walk at the sidewalk. While walking, he seems to be familiar with the path he's taking. He didn't seem to be wrong because when he gazed around, he saw the place where Ji Hyo used to reside. He stopped as he reminded himself one more time, "You have moved on, right? You just have a sharp memory that's why you remember." He walked passed through it, but he walked backwards when he noticed that the place is available to be leased.

The person in front of him kept looking at him when he was checking himself if he would go in or not. He noticed the person who's looking at him curiosly, so he asked, "How much is the lease?" When he heard the answer of the lessor, he asked, "Can I just take it for a week?" The lessor shook his head and said, "One month only, Sir." He then told the lessor that he won't take it, but he stopped when the man said, "It's okay, Sir. This place isn't really to be leased, but the renter before hasn't returned yet for a year."

"A year?" he asked. "The tenant was here last year, but she said that if she won't be back in a year, I can have this place open for other tenants again. But she was skeptical about it, so I was kind of hesitant to do it. She's a good payer after all." answered the lessor which made his interest to check Ji Hyo's place increase. "Was she with someone that time?" he asked knowing the answer would be yes, but he was astonished when the lessor answered, "No, she wasn't. She said that in her country, she was reported to be married, but she really... wasn't."