The Fall

Emergency Room

Jong Kook ended the call with Kwang Soo. He looked at the screen where the song title can still be read - "Hard to Love". When he turned around to go to Ji Hyo, he was surprised when he already saw her standing there. He checked Ji Hyo's expression, but he doesn't know why he can't read her. "How long have you been standing there?" he asked. Ji Hyo answered him in a curious manner when she replied, "Just now." "That's good." he uttered which was heard by Ji Hyo who asked him, "What's good about it?" 

He looked at Ji Hyo with curiosity as he tried to confirm, "Are you sure you just came in now?" She nodded at him as a reply, and so she asked, "Why? Did something happen?" He shook his head as a reply and said, "Because I haven't started singing the song yet." Ji Hyo smiled at him and said, "Then I guess you can sing it now." He nodded as a way of agreeing to what she said to him. "But Oppa..." she called. "Hmm?" he then said. "You look like you're no longer in the mood to sing it." she then commented. 

"What made you think that way? I'm in the mood to sing three songs today. How about you?" Jong Kook told her. He doesn't seem convinced that Ji Hyo didn't hear what he said to Kwang Soo earlier, but he's thinking what's the use of pretending that she didn't hear it if she can just confront him right away. "If you sing three songs, I'll sing three songs, too." she replied to him with a smile on her face. Her smile never leaves her face, so he somehow feels okay. "What will you sing?" he then asked. "You sing that song first." she said.

Jong Kook played the song again, so both of them are now looking at the screen. When Jong Kook was about to start, he looked at Ji Hyo, who was also looking at him. The song then started, so he started singing, "I am insensitive. I have a tendency to pay attention to the things that I need. Sometimes I drink too much, sometimes I test your trust, sometimes I don't know why you stay with me. I'm hard to love, hard to love. No, I don't make it easy. I couldn't do it if I stood where you stood. I'm hard to love, hard to love. And you say that you need me. I don't deserve it but I love that you love me good." 

The song's over, and both of them looked at each other without saying anything. Jong Kook decided to break the ice by asking, "Did I sing it right?" Ji Hyo gave her a thumb's up as she said, "I like your version better. I hope you can keep singing it." He gave her a smile as he said thank you. "Your turn." he told her. "What song?" he asked when Ji Hyo took the microphone from him. She then replied, "Is There Something". "I haven't heard of that song yet." he then told her. She smiled at him and said, "Then, listen carefully."

"Lately, I see.. cloud of sorrow in your eyes. Some deep sadness you can never quite disguise. Now I'm scared to ask what it's leading to but I'm more afraid of not asking you. Is there something that you want to tell me? Is there something that I ought to know? Are we still something that's worth fighting for? Or should I simply let you go? Is there something I can do to reach you? Are we something more than history? I'll find some way to convince you to stay, if you just tell me honestly - is there something left of you and me?" 

"You've got secrets you've been keeping for too long, and I'm going crazy acting like there's nothing wrong. I can taste the truth every time we kiss, and I can't go on, at least not like this. Is there something that you want to tell me? Is there something that I ought to know? Are we still something that's worth fighting for? Or should I simply let you go? Is there something I can do to reach you? Are we something more than history? I'll find some way to convince you to stay, if you just tell me honestly - is there something left of you and me?"

"I don't want to lose you, but what's the use of holding on? I don't really have you if the feelin' is gone.. Is there something that I ought to know? Are we still something that's worth fighting for? Or should I simply let you go? Is there something I can do to reach you? Are we something more than history? If there's no way to convince you to stay, and be the way we used to be. Then there's something that I want to tell, and I want you to believe it's true. We had something we'll never forget even if I wanted to cause part of me will always be with you."

Like what happened earlier when Jong Kook was done singing the song, they just looked at each other without saying anything. Ji Hyo sang the song showing her emotions even though it's quite obvious that she can't sing well. This time, it was Ji Hyo who asked a question to break the silence, "How do you find the song?" Jong Kook was just looking at her and asked, "How did you know that song?" She then returned a question, "Isn't it very telling?" Jong Kook then asked back, "Telling about?" "What you should be telling." she then responded which made Jong Kook look away. 

"So, tell me, is there something that you want to tell me?" Ji Hyo then asked him. "It's all just a game, Ji Hyo-ssi. All out of revenge." he then said in all honesty. Ji Hyo stared at her for almost a minute before she said, "I know." He was shocked with what he heard so he asked, "You know?" Ji Hyo nodded at him and said, "Yeah." "Then why are you still by my side? Perhaps are you having revenge, too?" he then asked. He asked again, "So are you telling me that we've been playing with each other's feelings all this time?"

Ji Hyo smirked at him and said, "Truthfully, I didn't know whether I should laugh it out or cry it out, but then, you told me that I'm a big girl. And so with that, I've found the answer." She noticed Jong Kook's uncaring reaction especially when he said, "I don't know why I'm happy that you've known it all along. Perhaps it's because I meant it when I said I don't want to see you cry." She looked at him with a stoic expression on her face as she said, "I'll never do that, Kim Jong Kook-ssi. Because even if we still continue to try, or if we tell each other goodbye," she stopped as she added the words, "big girls don't cry."