Chapter 5

Memory Lane: Maybe It's Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer Vacation never felt longer. Every day I sat waiting for Chaeyoung to text me, to call me, anything, but nothing happened. I tried calling and texting myself but nothing ever came out of it. I didn’t know what country she went to so for all I know she’s asleep when I try to contact her. I even sent messages on Facebook. She never even looked at them. Dahyun saw me struggling and told me to give up.

“She’s probably hurt still and doesn’t want to talk to you. What if she never does? You have to move on and get out and have fun, it’s summer!”

I decided to give up on Chaeyoung. It was clear that she didn’t want to see me. I definitely want to see her and apologize for all that I did, although, my feelings are different now, I think. I’m over her. Summer vacation passed through quickly ever since I tried to move on. Dahyun and I went to parties, amusement parks, and went to the beach. I did think about Chaeyoung a few times, but it didn’t hurt anymore. Finally, it was time for sophomore year. I walk into school and I see Dahyun waiting for me outside.

“Hey! You ready for our second year?”

“Not really, it’s kinda hard to believe we’re not freshman anymore. But I’m excited!”

“You better be! It’s going to be awesome!”

Dahyun and I had the same homeroom, so we were able to stick together. As we were walking to our class, Dahyun taps my shoulder.

“Hey Tzuyu, look over there.”

She points over to the right, and in that direction I see Chaeyoung. I thought over and over what it would be like, and how it would feel to see Chaeyoung again. I told myself I’d be ok and I could talk to her like she was just a friend again. I was wrong. The heart pounding feeling was back like it never left. I guess Chaeyoung isn’t just any girl that you can get over in one summer.

“Are you going to talk to her? We still have time before school starts.”

“I’m not sure, should I?”

“Don’t ask me, I’m not the one that was like, ‘Oh I miss Chaeyoung so much!’ half the summer.”

“Shut up! I guess…I guess I’ll go talk to her.”

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“No it’s ok, I’ll meet you in class.”

I walk over to Chaeyoung who’s talking to Yeri. Yeri notices me and points in my direction. Chaeyoung looks at me expressionless.

“I’ll see you later Chaengie.” Yeri says.

Chaeyoung waves goodbye and heads over in my direction.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

I didn’t know how to start. So I just went for it.

“I’m sorry about ignoring you last year. It wasn’t really intentional, I was just so focused on finals and then my phone was off on the last day. I’m sorry Chaeyoung. Not talking to you was so hard. Really.”

I opened up really quickly. I thought I was about to cry. Then Chaeyoung laughed.

“Straightforward as always aren’t you? Don’t worry its ok. If anything I’m sorry that I couldn’t reply to all your texts. You know overseas charges aren’t exactly the greatest thing, so my dad took my phone away as soon as he picked me up from school just in case. I didn’t get it back until we came home, which was last week. When we came back I was so jetlagged I basically slept that whole week.”

“Oh wow you were gone for that long? Where were you?”

“Europe, I’ve always wanted to go and to be able to spend months over there was amazing.”

“Wow that’s awesome. Tell me more about your trip. What did you do?”

The morning bell rings loud. It’s time to head to class.

“Maybe another time. I’ll see you later ok? You better reply to my texts next time.”

“I will of course!”

I was ecstatic. Everything seemed to be back to norm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter