Bonus Chapter: Saida

Memory Lane: Maybe It's Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Riiiiiiing*

Ugh what time is it? I check my phone and its 6 am. Today is Wednesday, it has been four days since Tzuyu rejected me. I haven’t been to school the past couple days and I don’t know if I want to go today either. My mom will probably get mad if I don’t go for a third day. What if I see Tzuyu with Chaeyoung? I’ve never felt this way before, I’m not sure if I like it. No, I definitely don’t like it.

Bzz~

Who would possibly text me at 6 am? I check my phone and the bright light curses by barely open eyes. Oh it’s Mina. Ah that’s right, she used to be with Chaeyoung. Mina is probably heartbroken too. I pick up the phone and read her text.

“Hey! Get out of bed! You can’t stay in there forever! Where’s the happy go lucky Sana I know and love?”

“She died at Tzuyu’s house.” I reply.

A little exaggerated I guess, why is Mina so enthusiastic anyway? It’s not like her, besides I would’ve thought she would understand how I feel right now.

Bzz~

“Don’t say that! Didn’t you say you were never giving up on her? Come to school please? I miss you, I need my friend and my friend needs me.”

Well she wasn’t wrong, I guess I’ll get up and go today. When I finally get to school I head to class and put my head faced down on my desk.

“Sana is that you?”

I look up and take off my hood and see Mina.

“Yeah, you said you needed me so here I am, happy?”

“Of course, I am. Do you want the notes for the past two days of this class?”

“Ugh that’s right, yes please.”

She passes me the notes and I start copying everything down. I don’t really understand much of it, but I’ll figure it out eventually I guess.

“Hey Mina?” I pass her back her notes.

“Oh thanks, yeah what’s up?”

“How did you get over Chaeyoung so fast? Tzuyu and I only went on two dates and I feel like I’m going to cry every other minute. You on the other hand seem fine.”

Mina takes a deep breath, “Well to be completely honest, I’m not over it just yet. But I have learned to accept it. Chaeyoung is happy, and that’s all I wanted. I will always have our memories of the dates we went on and how we first met and such, and I will cherish that always. Also, Chaeyoung and I broke up a little while before you and Tzuyu, so I’ve a little more time.”

“Mina you’re younger than I am, when you did you grow up so fast?”

“Break ups do a lot to your personality haha.’

“Well, if I really choose to not give up on Tzuyu, and they break up would you get mad at me? Because I took away Chaeyoung’s happiness?”

“No, because I’ll be there to make her even happier than before.”

“Woah smooth.” I smirk.

Mina shrugs like it was nothing. The teacher walks in and I try to start paying attenetion. The teacher starts talking about stuff that I don’t care for and soon enough I fall asleep.

“Minatozaki!”

I twitch and wake up to my teacher staring at me from across the classroom.

“Well? Do you know the answer?”

I look over to Mina, and she is giving me no help whatsoever. Gee what a great friend right?

“Umm I don’t know? Equilateral? I guess?”

The class snickers at my answer and I realize I’m not in math class yet. Oh no.

“I’m sure that’s the answer to something, but we’re talking about the Peloponnesian War here. Wake up Sana.”

Ugh I should’ve stayed home. Class ends and Mina and I head out and walk towards our lockers.

“Would it have killed you to help me out back there?” I glare at Mina.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t know how!”

“Yeah ok whate-“

“What? What is it?” She turns to where I’m looking and sees Tzuyu and Chaeyoung walking towards their class. “Oh, that.”

“It really doesn’t bother you anymore?”

“I never said that, I said I learned to accept it. Besides, Tzuyu is a good person. Even though she broke your heart I know deep down you know that too.”

I did know that, she was more than just a good person. She was a wonderful person. I head to my locker on my own, and I put my History books away and switch them out for English.

“BOO!”

Someone pokes my sides and startles me half to death.

“Who the heck just did that!? I almost dropped all my books!” I turn around yelling.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist.”

It’s Dahyun. We haven’t talked much recently. Suddenly I remember freshman year, and how I broke up with her to go out with Eunha. I realize now what terrible person I was for doing that. Honestly, I’m not even sure why I did. Dahyun was a wonderful girlfriend.

“What did you have to do that for? You know I’m ticklish and easily frightened Dahyun.”

“I know, that’s why I did it.” She laughs.

“Did you want something?” I say a little irritated.

“Yeah actually, I heard from Tzuyu everything that happened. I just wanted to, you know, see how you were doing.”

She was checking up on me? How sweet.

“That’s nice of you. I’m doing ok I guess, working on it.” I didn’t really want to go into detail. We may be ok with each other now, but Dahyun was still my ex, and Tzuyu is still her best friend.

“Dahyun, I’m sorry.”

“Woah, where is this coming from?”

“Going through this feeling, I realize what a terrible person I used to be. I used to be such a flirt, and I played you and left you for Eunha who I haven’t even talked to since she moved away. If you felt even a little of what I’m feeling I am so sorry. I don’t even know why I did it anymore. You were good to me.”

Dahyun looks at me with a blank stare.

“Dahyun are you ok?”

She shakes her head and collects herself, “Yeah, I am! I just wasn’t expecting that at all. I mean it’s been like two years? I appreciate the apology, it did hurt a lot back then, I was a player back then too haha, I wasn’t expecting to get played instead.”

*Students please head to your next class now. I repeat please head to your next class now.*

“Oh well, looks like we got to go now. I’ll see you around ok Sana? If you need anything, anything at all, let me know. You still have my number right? I haven’t changed it.”

“Yeah I do, thanks Dahyun. I’ll keep that in mind.”

A year goes by and I had been planning different ways to win Tzuyu over. At first I waited for them to have some problems. I figured from what Tzuyu told me before they were together, that they would probably have a fight again, and maybe, just maybe I could come in and comfort Tzuyu and win her over. But, that opportunity never came. I didn’t hear one thing about Tzuyu and Chaeyoung having a fight, at least not one big enough for them to break up. Are they really going to stay together? Are they going to end up married or something? There’s no way, high school romances hardly ever go that far…right? No Sana, don’t lose hope. It’s your senior year. That means senior prom is coming soon. I’m going to do this extravagant prom-posal, and she’ll have to come back to me right? But, how am I even going to get her away from Chaeyoung? Whenever classes are over, they are always together.

“If you need anything, anything at all, let me know.”

Why am I remembering this? Who told me this again? Dahyun! We started talking a bit more since that day, and she did say ‘anything’. But, would she really be ok with me asking her best friend to prom when she’s dating someone else? This seems like a terrible thing to do, but I’m desperate. The next day I see Dahyun walking around the hall in the morning.

“Dahyun!” I yell out.

“Sana-chaaaan!” She yells back. “What’s shakin bacon?”

“Did you really just…? Never mind, anyway, I was wondering…prom is coming up pretty soon right?”

Her eyes widen and she bites her lip, and holds on tightly to her books, almost as if she’s preparing for something.

“Oh really? No, it never crossed my mind. Why?”

“Well I was wondering if you…” Dahyun’s eyes open wider and her back straightens out, “…could help me ask Tzuyu to prom.”

Dahyun’s eyes go back to normal, except now they look a little glossy, she loosens her grip on her books and slouches.

“You really haven’t given up have you?” She asks.

“This is going to be my last chance. So can you help me? You did say you’d help me with anything before.”

Dahyun pauses for a minute, it seemed like she was in deep thought. I knew this was an awkward thing to ask.

“Actually never mind, I shouldn’t have as-“

“I’ll do it.”

“Really!?”

“Yeah really, I’ll help you out. What’s your plan?”

“All I need you to do is to get Tzuyu away from Chaeyoung after school. I’ll take care of the rest.”

“Alright, maybe I’ll grab Chaeyoung and you can get Tzuyu right after.”

Dahyun seemed a little weird, but I was too focused on the plan to think any deeper about it.

“Oh that’s better! Great idea! I’ll text you when I’m ready ok?”

Dahyun sort of gives me a smile and nods. After my final class, the first thing I do is grab my phone and text Dahyun.

“Hey I’m ready! Do you know where Tzuyu is?”

My leg shakes nervously as I wait for Dahyun’s reply in my chair.

Bzz~

“We’re hanging out by the main building, I’m stalling, text me when you see us and I’ll pull Chaeyoung away.”

I get out of my seat and rush towards the main building. I see Dahyun with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung in the distance and text Dahyun that I’m nearby. She turns around and sees me and grabs Chaeyoung and pulls her further into the hallway. This was my chance. I hurry over to Tzuyu who looks confused as to why Dahyun took her girlfriend away. I tap Tzuyu on the shoulder and she turns around.

“Oh Sana! What’s up?” She smiles at me and my confidence begins to drop, but I try my best to focus.

“I need to talk to you, come with me.” I grab her hand and we head toward a quiet spot away from the school’s quad area, but Tzuyu stops halfway.

“Sana what’s going on? Where are you taking me?”

“Remember how you told me you liked Mr. Taxi? By Girls Generation? I kind of…let me just show you.”

I closed my eyes and started dancing the choreography to Mr. Taxi and I could feel the people walking by staring at me and I just can’t believe I’m doing this. I open my eyes a little and see Tzuyu with a huge smile on her face, which makes me feel a little better about myself. As soon as I finish the song, Tzuyu claps her hands and cheers. I catch my breath as I can’t believe I actually finished the whole song. I turn around and some other people are clapping too. I am so embarrassed. I look to Tzuyu and she comes closer to me.

“Sana that was so cool! You looked super cute dancing!”

I blush at the sound of Tzuyu calling me cute, I don’t remember her ever calling me that before.

“But I have to ask Sana, why did you do this?”

I turn around and people are still here. I was hoping it was going to be a little less public when I asked, but here goes nothing.

“Tzuyu, I told I was never going to give up. I still care for you, and I want to take you to prom. Will you go with me?”

Tzuyu looks at me and I can see her smile disappear. The people looking at us wait for Tzuyu’s answer, but as I keep looking at her face I already know what it is.

“Sana, you know I’m with Chaeyoung now. We’re happy together, and I plan on going to prom with her. I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to say no.”

Deep down inside I knew this was going to happen, but for some reason I just wanted to give it one last chance.

“I get it, I just thought I’d try one last time…”

“Sana, I’m sorry.”

Tzuyu gets up and walks away. I just sit down and sulk. I can hear the people whisper as they walk away, but I don’t care. I just want to disappear, I wish I never thought of this stupid idea. I see a pair of shoes next to me and I look up to see who it is and it’s Dahyun. She gives me a kind smile and hands me a strawberry yogurt.

“Let me guess, she said no didn’t she? Here take this.”

“Yupp, how’d you guess? And thanks.”

“Your face says it all, besides c’mon Sana, you should know Tzuyu by now and what kind of person she is. Did you really think deep down that Tzuyu was going to leave the person she loves and say yes?”

I stay quiet and think for a minute. Of course I knew what kind of person Tzuyu was. Deep down, I just wanted to try, one last time. Even if I knew it was going to be a failure. I take a bite of the strawberry yogurt when suddenly, a question popped up in my mind.

“Dahyun, if you knew that Tzuyu was going to say no, why did you even help me?”

“Do you want an honest answer?” She looks at me with a serious face.

“Of course.”

Dahyun leans on the wall next to me and takes a deep breath.

“I wanted you to realize that Tzuyu is happy with Chaeyoung, I figured that maybe if getting rejected one time wasn’t enough for you maybe a second time would make you realize it.”

“That’s pretty messed up don’t you think?” I joke.

“So is asking out a girl who already has a girlfriend.” She smirks.

“You know what…fair enough.” I say reluctantly.

“By the way Sana what are your plans now?”

“For what?” I ask confused.

“For prom duh.”

“Honestly I’m not sure, I didn’t think this through at all. I’ll probably go by myself, or just go with Mina or something, who knows?”

“Oh…I see.” Dahyun says quietly.

“What about you any plans? I’m sure you have a date Dahyun.”

“Sadly no, I was waiting for a certain someone to get over this person, and maybe just maybe they would ask me, but sadly it seems like that person is blind.” She laughs.

“Wow, that , that person doesn’t have any idea what they’re missing out on.”

How could someone not realize that Dahyun is a catch!? She’s pretty, nice, smart and look at those cheeks! I want to squish them right now, they look so soft. Dahyun just laughs at my statement and I can’t figure out why.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter