Chapter 11

Memory Lane: Maybe It's Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“She said what!?” Dahyun yells out, “And she kissed you!? WHAT!?”

“Dahyun, I know, I was there. You don’t need to yell.”

“I’m sorry ok, it’s just who would’ve thought that after all these years, Chaeyoung would finally decide to act now.”

“I know, and I can’t stop thinking about her either. Everything she said that night keeps relaying in my brain like a broken record.”

“Well what is Sana’s reaction to all this? Did you tell her?”

“Of course I did. I told her everything.”

“Ok, good. What did she say?’

“She said she would never hurt me, and that she would do anything to make me happy. So I told her to kiss me.”

“CHOU TZUYU!”

“Dahyun I said to stop yelling!”

“I’m sorry! I just never knew you were so bold! You have certainly changed these past few years. So tell me, what was it like? Was it better than Chaeyoung’s?”

“I…I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know??”

“Well Chaeyoung kissed me way too suddenly, plus I was angry and flustered from all the feelings I was going through, there was no way I could enjoy a kiss in that state. With Sana, I just couldn’t stop thinking about what Chaeyoung said and did. When I told Sana to kiss me, I was hoping that after seeing her beauty in the moonlight, I would forget about Chaeyoung’s kiss and just move on with my life. But…I couldn’t. It just kept replaying in my head over and over. I don’t know what to do or what to think. That’s why I called you here Dahyun, I need your help.”

“Where would you be without me Chou Tzuyu?”

“Dahyun I’m so confused. I just want to figure this all out so my head and my heart don’t feel like they’re going to explode.”

“Ok look Tzuyu, you said Chaeyoung’s kiss was forced and that there really wasn’t any emotion on your side, at least not at the time, to enjoy it. Well in my opinion, it’s the exact same thing with Sana. She of course wanted to kiss you, but you only wanted to kiss her in order to get Chaeyoung out of your head, not necessarily because of your feelings with Sana. If you had kissed her on the hilltop in that moment before Mina came, then that would have been a different story.”

“So what should I do now? What does this mean?”

“To be honest, I think this means you still have feeling for Chaeyoung. Why else would you be thinking about her kiss for all this time, even if you didn’t really feel anything? I can’t really think of any explanation besides that.”

“What about Sana? Does this mean I don’t care about Sana at all?”

“No, of course not, it’s easy to see that you care for both Sana and Chaeyoung. But which do you care for more? That’s the question you need answered, which I can’t really help you with. That one is on you.”

“Well how am I supposed to figure that out? Date both of them?”

“Tzuyu you are a genius!”

“Dahyun I was kidding, there is no way I’m going to date them both.”

“No, don’t date them both, go on A date with them both. Not at the same time of course. One date with Sana, and one date with Chaeyoung. Whichever one can steal your heart away is the one you stay with.”

I sit quiet and think about this plan. It doesn’t seem like there's any other option.

“Ok I’ll do it. But who should I go on a date with first?”

“Hmm well to make it fair, just flip a coin I guess?”

I grab a quarter in my pocket and put it in my hand.

“Chaeyoung is heads and Sana is tails.” I flip the coin and grab it, and then put it on top of my other hand and, “Tails.”

“Sana it is!!”

Dahyun leaves my house so I can be alone and think about what I need to do. I pick up my phone and text Sana.

“Hey Sana, thank you for a great time the other day, I really did have fun, even if the end of the day didn’t end the way I imagined. I want to try and start over, if that’s ok with you? Would you like to go on another date? No interruptions this time, just you and me.”

Nervous, I sit down on my bed thinking about what Sana might say. Did she feel something was weird the other night too? Did she feel anything from that kiss?

Bzz~

“Tzuyu! I’m glad you texted me. I hope you’re feeling ok after all that happened, and yes, I would love to go on another date with you. Actually, my aunt works at the fair that started up last week. She can probably get us in for free if you want to go to that. We can go on rides and buy a bunch of food if you’re interested?”

“The fair? I don’t think I’ve been there since I was a kid. I used to be pretty good at the games too. Yeah! That sounds like a lot of fun!”

Bzz~

“Ok great! Let’s go this weekend! We can talk more about it tomorrow at school!”

I lay on my bed thinking about what the fair was going to be like. I couldn’t enjoy the rides there when I was younger because I was too small. Now that I’m older and bigger maybe the fair will be even more fun, especially since I’ll be with Sana. Then it hits me, what am I going to do about Chaeyoung? I know I definitely still have feelings for her. I just wish that it wasn’t so weird between us right now. She said she was going to break up with Mina, did she really? I can’t go on a date with her if they haven't broken up. That would just be a mess. I’ll have to figure that out when I get to school tomorrow. The next day, I go into science class running a little late because I realized I left my notes in my locker so I had to run back and get them. When I returned I saw that Mina was here, but Chaeyoung wasn’t. Dahyun pulls me down to my chair and asks me if I knew where she was, but I didn’t. I decide to text her.

“Why aren’t you in class today? I was hoping I could talk to you.”

I didn’t get a reply until the middle of class.

Bzz~

“Sorry, I think my allergies started acting up after running up and down those hills the other day and I don’t feel well. Maybe another time, when I feel better?”

“Ok sure, get well soon.”

I put away my phone and I feel someone staring at me. I look up and our teacher is continuing the lesson. I look next to me and it’s not Dahyun, then I look to the other side and I see Mina is looking at me with a serious face. I see her write something down on a piece of paper and passes it along to me. I open it up and it reads

“I need to talk to you after school, can we meet up outside by the side of the school?”

I look at her and she’s back to following the lesson. I look at Dahyun who’s half asleep on her desk, so I don’t bother telling her about this. I write back on another piece of paper.

“Sure, but I can’t stay too long, I’m meeting up with Sana.”

I send the paper over to her and she looks back at me and nods her head. The rest of the day, I couldn’t help but wonder what Mina wanted to talk about. I’m pretty sure she wanted to talk about Chaeyoung. Did they really break up? Or does Mina want me to stay away from her? After my last class of the day I go to my locker and put my stuff away. I head outside where Mina asked to meet. I go out the school door and I see Mina sitting down under a tree waiting for me. I decide to sit down next to her. It was probably a bad idea. I don’t really talk to her, so sitting next to each other was really awkward.

“I heard from Sana that you two are going to the fair together.”

“Oh that’s right you two are friends. Yeah we are, why do ask?”

“Because I want to know what you plan to do about Chaeyoung.”

“Are you two still together? If you are then I won’t go near her, at least not in any romantic sort of setting, I’m not that kind of person.”

“I know you’re not Tzuyu. And no, Chaeyoung and I are not together anymore.”

I feel something in my heart as soon as she says that. I don’t know what it was, but it felt almost like excitement. I felt bad feeling this way when Mina was right next to me. I feel even worse when I look at her and I see a single tears fall down her face. It wasn’t a stream of tears that came down like a waterfall whenever I cry, this was almost majestic. One by one, tears fell down her face as if they were taking turn and she covers her face except her eyes as tears keep falling.

“I’m sorry, I’m still not over it. Chaeyoung probably still feels bad about it too, it’s probably why she isn’t here today.”

“No need to be sorry. I have experience with heartbreak, trust me, it’s ok to cry.”

I grab a few tissues I have in my backpack and give them to Mina to wipe her face.

“Anyway, I didn’t ask you to be here to watch me cry. All I want right now is Chaeyoung to be happy. If she isn’t happy with me then I can’t do anything about that. All I know is that she wants to be with you. If you are the one that makes her happy then I’ll learn to live with that. But, if you hurt her any more than she already is, then you’ll have to answer to me.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Did Chaeyoung really say that I make her happy? Is Mina helping get Chaeyoung and I together? She has a stronger and kinder heart than I realized.

“If you go to that fair with Sana, and you realize that your feelings for her are stronger than what you feel for Chaeyoung, you tell her right away. I understand that Chaeyoung didn’t do that for you when she and I started dating, but I can promise you that she didn’t do it on purpose. Nobody deserves to hurt anymore. Ok?”

I can see now why Chaeyoung fell for Mina. She’s incredibly kind and caring, even after she and Chaeyoung broke up. I’m not sure I have that kind of power to do the same.

“Of course. Hey, Mina?”

“What is it?”

“I’m sorry for everything, I wish neither of us had to go through any of this.”

“Me too.”

We get up and go our separate ways. I hope Mina finds someone that will love her just as much as she loves them one day.

I head over to the library and I see Sana.

“Tzuyu! What took you so long? I was about to send a search party out for you!”

“I’m sorry! No need to do that! I’m here now.”

We sat down and talked about all the different things we were going to do at the fair. The week flew by, and finally it was time for the fair. Sana and I walk past the main entrance and find Sana’s aunt who manages to sneak us in.

“I’ve never done anything like this before. I feel a little nervous.” I say worried that we might get caught.

“Oh don’t worry too much we’ll be fine!”

The rest of the night went just as planned. We went on a bunch of rides. The roller coaster was actually pretty fast for a fair roller coaster, I thought I was going to fly off and land in the parking lot. Sana tried to do the strong man challenge where you throw a hammer down and try to ring the bell. She missed and almost smashed her foot instead. I’m sure if she focused hard enough she could’ve won, after all this girl almost killed me with just a beach ball. We went to the ring toss and Sana was just as bad as that one at and I laughed as she couldn’t throw in a single ring around. She got upset and yelled at me, saying it was harder than it looked and told me to try it, I won a giant squirrel plushy. I gave it to Sana to make her feel better.

“Oh look! Have you ever had takoyaki Tzuyu?”

“I’ve always seen it in anime, but I never had the chance to get some in real life. Do they have it here?”

“They’re selling Japanese street food over there! I’ll go check if they sell it. I’ll be right back you can go look around over here!”

I stay around the area so Sana can still see me when she comes back. I look around and see a pile of plush animals on the ground. Did someone really win all of those? Even I’m not that good at carnival games. I look to see who won all those things and I see a girl aiming a toy rifle at an Eevee plush on the top shelf.

“C’mon kid, there is no way you can get that one. People have tried but never succeeded.” The old guy behind the stand smirks.

He probably glued it to the shelf or something, I thought. Then I hear a familiar voice.

“Well those people weren’t me.”

The girl shoots the toy rifle and the Eevee falls down flat on the ground and the old man drops his jaw to the floor in defeat. The girl picks up the Eevee along with her other plushies and walks away. As she gets closer to me I realize who this is. It’s Chaeyoung.

“Tzuyu is that you?”

“Chaeyoung? Did you really win all those prizes?”

“Yeah I d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter