Impact

Barriers [Oikawa x Reader]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            You can build walls however you want to protect yourself, just make sure to have a strong foundation. If you unknowingly include yourself in a game where it includes tearing up and breaking barriers, make sure to not lose because in games, there’s this player who’ll not hesitate to give his all, who’ll strategize and analyze your covers first and hit it until it breaks. So don’t let yourself be broken down.

 

 

            University. Sometime after lunch.

           

            The bell rang signaling the finish of your last class for the day. There was nothing else much to do but go home and you didn’t want to. You took out your phone from your bag and unlocked it. You went to the contacts keying the word ‘Kageyama.’

 

            Kageyama Tobio. A volleyball player, 3 years younger than you, that you’ve become devoted to when you first watched his match a year ago. You unexpectedly became his fan after that.

            The feeling of wanting to watch that kid and support him unexpectedly sprung to you. There was no malice, just a friendly and positive acquaintance.

 

            ‘Kageyama Tobio’ appeared on the first line of the search list and you pressed it. You held the device against your ears and it rang a few seconds until he picked up.

            “Tobio!”

            “Nee-san… What made you call?...”, Tobio asked in his usual stern voice. “Don’t tell me you’re gonna watch me play again?”

            You pouted, though he won’t be able to see it, “Don’t ask if you already know the answer.”

            ”Don’t you have a date with your boyfriend or something...?”

 

            Yes, you have a boyfriend. His name is Mori. He’s a year higher than you. You’ve been with him for 3 years now. Your relationship has been quite strong, per se. The two of you were able to achieve a high level of trust and honesty as the relationship flourished.

 

            You let out a sigh, “I don’t. He has classes until the night.”

            Since Mori was a higher year and because of his major, he had classes until late at night that he can’t accompany you a lot this semester.

            “Oh, I see…”, Tobio responded. “I guess it’s you’re lucky day, nee-san. We actually have a practice match today.”

            “Really?”, you became delighted that the enthusiasm can be heard from the other side of the line. “Which school? Where are you guys going to play? What time is it?”

            “Calm down, nee-san!”, he grunted raising his voice and returning to his normal. “One question at a time.”

            “Okay…”

            “…”

            “Oi, what now? I asked you all the questions earlier and you’re not giving me answers.”, you complained at his silence. He must have been contemplating if it’s a good idea that he should invite you to watch the match.

            You waited for a few more seconds for him to reply until he finally gave in.

            “Fine. Fine. You know Aoba Johsai?”

            “Yes. Oh… That school is just close to my college.”, you pointed out. “Is that where the match is going to be held?”

            “Yes. The game starts after classes.”, he began spilling the details. “If you really want to come, you should meet us by the front of Aoba Johsai before we go to the gym.”

            “Uh-huh! Okay.”, you attentively agreed.

            “You should wear something normal like you’re from our school, okay?”, he added.

            “Roger! Is there anything else?”

            “That’s probably just it. Call me when you get there, nee-san.”, he bade.

            “Okay. I will. See ya, Tobio!”

            “Bye. See you later.”

 

 

 

 

            After classes. In front of Aoba Johsai gates.

           

            The dial tone rang as you called Tobio over to confirm your arrival at the school he mentioned earlier. He didn’t answer you though. His phone was kept on his bag and was in silent mode.

            You pulled the ends of your Aoba Johsai shirt you were wearing and patted your white jogging pants as you grew restless of your disguise as the students pass by. The students there only glanced at you once because your good looks caught their attention and they don’t usually see you around school.

 

            Gifted with good looks, you rarely used it to your benefit. You never rely on your looks much and you didn’t make efforts on how to make yourself more attractive even if you still can. You weren’t that much confident about it. There is no need for since you already have a boyfriend and it can also be because of you having no ability to coordinate clothing.

           

            A bus arrived and parked at the side, you peeked whether if it was Karasuno’s. You walked towards the bus’ entrance and waited by the sides. You watched as one by one the men wearing black jacket with ‘Karasuno Volleyball Club’ written on it got out of the transportation. You waited for the familiar black haired boy to come out.

            “Tobio!”, you exclaimed as you finally found him.

            Everyone glanced at the girl who called Kageyama. They were flabbergasted to see that it was a pretty girl who did that and the fact that you’re calling Tobio too is shocking to them.

            “Nee-san?”, there Tobio found you too.

            You dashed to him excitedly, “You don’t recognize me now?”

            The other Karasuno members present there were stunned at how this girl seemed to act all chummy with Kageyama.

            “B-boke!”, he bluntly muttered in front of his mates. It made his teammates scowl at him but Tobio just continued. “Why are you wearing an Aoba Johsai shirt? I said wear something that looks like you’re from our school… Our school is Karasuno, not Aoba Johsai. Maybe you misunderstood?”

            “I didn’t!”, you defended. “I think someone took my shirt for PE class and it got replaced with this.”

            “Uhh… Kageyama… aren’t you going to introduce her to us?”, the semi-bald man scoffed interrupting your conversation.

            “Oh… Right. She’s my nee-san. Not by blood though. ___ ____. She’s in college.”

            “Hi! I’m actually the king’s fan!”, you sneered at the young dark-haired boy.

            Kageyama gruffly slams your back with his hand.

            “Aw!”

            “Oi, Kageyama, you shouldn’t treat ladies like that.” The light haired man with a mole on the side of his eye scolded Tobio.

            “Ya, Kageyama, you shouldn’t, especially if she’s pretty like that.”, the baldy hovers at Tobio, placing his hand on his shoulders and piercing him an evil stare.

            “Sumimasen.”, the obedient Tobio retorted.

            “By the way, I’m Sugawara Koushi, a third year.”, he gave you the brightest smile and he held his hand up for you.

            “Oh, hi Sugawara-san!”, you delightedly shook his hand.

            The baldy can’t seem to await his turn and steals the handshake. “I’m T-Tanaka Ryuunosuke! A s-second year!”

            “Oi!”, Sugawara was pushed a bit to the side.

            “A-ah, s-sorry… Sugawara-san”, Tanaka tried to explain as he got all flustered because of you. He was acting all fidgety and can’t let go of your hand.

            “H-hi, Tanaka-san, right?”, you felt a pinch of uneasiness. You didn’t know how to react in this certain type of social situation when a guy’s like this.

            In a moment, the man with thick eyebrows and round dark eyes came in to break the hand shake. “Sorry about that, ___-san. I’m Sawamura Daichi. A third year. I’m the captain of the club actually.”

            “Hello! Nice to meet you captain.”, you greeted. “Is it okay if I watch the match? Of course, I’ll be cheering on your team. Any team where Tobio is in, I’m a fan of!”

            “Of course! But it’s weird if you cheer for us and you’re wearing that shirt.”, Daichi pointed out.

            “Oh…”, you just came to realize that. “I haven’t thought that much far ahead yet.”

            You chuckled scratching the back of your head.

 

 

 

 

            The Practice Match.

            You stood on the bleachers of the gym to watch the game. There were a few Aoba Johsai students who were watching the game also. You indeed got mixed in the place. They didn’t had a clue at all that you don’t go to this school.

            The whistle blows and the game finally starts. You were ecstatic at first but the game became so reckless for Karasuno because of the small orange-haired guy in Tobio’s team. You didn’t get to meet him earlier because he went to the bathroom as soon as he got off the bus.

            So like that, the first set was almost finished. You haven’t seen much of Tobio’s plays yet. It was Aoba Johsai’s match point now and it was Karasuno’s turn to serve. With an ill-faith, it was that shrimpy-head’s turn to serve. You could tell that he was definitely worried about something. He was distracted and got startled by the referee’s signal. He threw the ball upwards carelessly and had hit it the wrong way. It speedily went to a straight direction and had landed on the back of Tobio’s head. Everyone was quite appalled. Some were even laughing at him. You had to admit, it was quite funny. You tried to hold in your laughter with fear the Tobio might notice you. You know that you’re gonna be dead if he caught you. You could say that you actually empathize with that shrimpy boy at this moment.

            After the short break, the second set took place and it seems like shrimpy finally found his calm. The game went out better this time. You were able to see Tobio’s god-like tosses that amazed you before once more. You felt inspired seeing him do these things again. It must have been because of this shrimpy guy coping up with his drive and stirring up his potential. Finally, Tobio’s having fun again; It doesn’t show much in his stoic face but it’s obvious enough for you through his movements.

            With the change in momentum, the second set ended up with Karasuno winning.

            During the break, the girls beside you squealed rather annoyingly as a brunette tall guy with a slightly messy curly hair showed up and headed towards Aoba Johsai’s side of the court.

            “Oikawa-san! Take care of yourself!”, the girl beside you screamed which made the brunette male turn towards your direction and waved at the girls who cheered for him.

            ‘Oikawa?’, you heard this name before. ‘Is this… who Tobio was talking about before? His senpai who had bad attitude and didn’t actually teach

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter