Chapter 5

The Only Exception

Sinb’s POV

“So what did you want to talk to about?” I asked her. She looked at the ground and nervously fidgeted with her hands. “Uhm..I just…ah… wanted to ask if you were ok, be-because of earlier…” she looked at me and I just couldn’t help the smile that was forming on my face, because she was just too cute. “I am fine Yerin. I just felt a little sick, because of the alcohol” I lied, because I obviously couldn’t tell her the real reason.

“Oh… okay” she said and looked anywhere but my face. There was a small awkward phase, were no one knew what to say, which was ended after a minute or so by Yerin, who let out a small cough. “Well…uhm good I-“

“Are you happy with him?” I interrupted her with a small smile. The question was running through my mind for a few minutes and I just wanted to know the answer to it. She looked me in my face and our eyes locked. I looked intently in her eyes and I once again found something missing in them. She broke the eye contact again and answered with a small voice “…Yes”.

It felt like my heart just broke into thousands of little pieces, but nevertheless I smiled, because that reply just made me realise that I still haven’t really moved on, but I finally should. I know that seven years are more than enough to get over somebody, but I just couldn’t. Even though I was dating a few people in the past, nobody made me feel the way Yerin did. 

I held her arm, which made her finally look at me. “I’m happy for you”, I honestly said with a smile, but she didn’t return it. She just looked at me with an unreadable expression. I retracted my hand “Well it was nice to meet you again Yerin, but I have to go home now” I said and turned around to leave. I started my way home and I was already a few feet away from her when I suddenly heard her calling my name again. “Sinb wait!” I stopped and turned around again only to feel a pair of arms around me, engulfing me in a tight hug. At first I was so shocked and stood still, but I soon started to hug her back. And it felt like I was finally at home.

“I missed you” she said in almost a whisper. My lips curved up into a smile and I answered her in the same volume that she did. “I missed you too”

We stayed like that for a few minutes, before I pulled away from the hug, said goodbye to her and made my way to Sowon and my home with a weird feeling in my stomach and not knowing if I will see Yerin ever again.

When I got home I slipped out of my combat boots and my leather jacket. I made my way through my relatively big apartment to my bedroom and started to change into my pyjama, which just consisted of a white shirt and a pair of pyjama shorts. Then I went to the bathroom and got rid of the make up in my face and washed it afterwards. I brushed my teeth and made my way back to the bedroom to lay myself down on my bed. Laying there I just let the events of today play in my mind over and over again. I don’t really know how I should feel about the hug, though.

I haven’t seen her in years and now this…

‘Why can’t I just forget her?!’

With this question still on my mind I slowly drifted off into dreamland.

 

The next day I woke up with a small headache, even though I didn’t drink that much last night. I made my way to the kitchen were Sowon was already sitting at eating cornflakes. She looked at me and smiled cheerfully, “good morning Sinb-ah!”. I just weakly smiled at her and replied with a mumbled “good morning”. I made my way to the cupboard to make myself a bowl of cornflakes. When I finished preparing my food I made my way to the table and sat on the chair opposite to Sowon. I noticed that she was till as cheerful as before. “What’s with the stupid smile on your face?” I asked her with a smirk, already suspecting what or more like who the reason for it could be. She instantly turned red and scooped another spoonful of cornflakes in . “Did you get lucky last night or what?” When I asked her that, she almost choked on her meal to which I couldn’t stop laughing.

She gulped down her food and proceeded to slap me, what a surprise. She cleared “Well, after you left Eunha and I danced a little longer…and well we talked a little too and… ehmm... Well I am having a date on Sunday!” she said with a smile and red tinted cheeks. I congratulated her on getting Eunha to go on a date with her. I seriously never thought that she would have the guts to do it so I think that the alcohol did have a small effect and probably boosted her courage. We talked a little more about yesterday and she told me almost everything…maybe even a little too much.

Anyway she also asked me why I left so early and I decided to tell her that I saw Yerin, but I didn’t tell her about all the stuff that happened. Only that I saw her. After breakfast Sowon went out to meet up with some friends. Today was Saturday and I normally go to the dance studio on Saturdays to practise a bit, but I didn’t really feel like dancing today. So I went into my room and got into bed again. I unplugged my IPhone from the charger and decided to check Instagram. I liked some pictures on Instagram and commented on a cute picture that Seulgi posted with her girlfriend, Irene. Seulgi and I work together at the dancing studio and I also knew her from school, because she was in the same grade as Sowon.

After looking at all the new posts and liking some I decided that I had enough. So I stood up from my comfortable bed and made my way to the bathroom to take a quick shower. I was feeling really weary and thought a refreshing shower would make me feel better. So I plugged my smartphone on the speaker in the bathroom and opened my music app. I clicked on shuffle and hoped that a good song would come out and I instantly bobbed to the beat when I realized it was ‘fantastic’ by BigBang. After laying my phone on top of the speaker I stripped out of my clothes and proceeded to take a shower. After showering I stepped out of the shower cabinet dried myself with a towel, which I then wrapped around my bare body after that and blow-dried my hair. I tied it into a bun and changed into a comfortable pair of black ripped jeans and a white t-shirt, after getting into my bedroom. I decided to take a walk in the park nearby to clear my mind a bit. So I put on some make up, untied my hair, put on my leather jacket and my combat boots and made my way outside into the warm summer weather. It was warm but not hot. It was perfect for chilling outside without sweating, because of the heat.

I took my headphones out of my pocket from my jacket and plugged them in my IPhone and put the earbuds into my ears. I listened to the soothing rap from Kisum in her latest song ‘Sleep Tight’ (A/N This song is seriously so good I luv it) and made my way to the park. When I got there I sat on a bench that was near a small pond. Decorated with small flowers on the sides and the sun reflection, the pond looked truly beautiful. There was a small duck family happily swimming in the left corner that was overshadowed by a tree and it reminded me of a certain someone that I desperately tried to forget in the last few years. She always had this cute obsession with ducks. I remember, when I visited her the first time and saw her room I couldn’t stop the smile. Her whole bed was covered with plush toys that were mostly yellow little ducks. I shook my head and tried to think of something else, but I couldn’t. I thought about whether she still liked ducks or not. If she still collected plush ducks and if she still was that bubbly, happy girl that she was when we were in high school.

Deciding that I shouldn’t continue thinking about her and just try to finally move on I tried to concentrate on something else. So I closed my eyes and listened contently to the song that was playing through my earbuds.

When the sun was already setting I finally made my way back home. Sowon texted me, that she is going to sleep at her friend’s house. So I had the whole apartment to myself.  When I passed by a coffee shop, my stomach started to grumble so I made my way inside the cosy little building. I looked at all the sweet little baked goods and my lips. “One coffee and a croissant to go, please.”

When I received my order and payed for it, I turned around and made my way outside the coffee shop, but bumped into someone when I went through the door. Luckily my coffee didn’t spill, but my bag with the croissant in it fell on the floor. Without looking at the person I bumped into I bend town to retrieve my bag, while muttering apologies “I’m so sorry. I didn’t see y-” I said, but stopped when I finally took a glance at the person that stood before me, after getting my bag from the floor. “It’s okay Sinb. It’s partly my fault” She said with her eye smile. I just smiled at her. “It’s good to see again.” She said still with her bright smile plastered on her face.

“Ye-yeah” I just weakly replied. She looked down at her hands, obviously contemplating something. When she looked back up she wasn’t wearing her eye smile anymore, but had more of a nervous expression on her face. “Uhm… may I ask you if you’d like to…uhmm drink a coffee with me here. I know you already brought something and you probably have something better to do, but-“ I interrupted her rumbling with a small “ I would love to” and smiled at her and she at me. So I made my way back inside with her following right behind. I told her to buy something while I look for a table for us to sit at. When I found a table near a window, I sat down on the booth and looked outside. I could see the park from here were I sat at a few minutes ago.

When I heard someone sitting down I turned away from the window and looked at Yerin, who currently put her coffee on the table. She smiled brightly and I took a sip from me still hot coffee.

We sat there for a few minutes of not knowing what to say. The silence was just filled, with the sounds of the two of us sipping at our beverages and me taking a bite from my baked good.

I decided to break the silence, because it felt really awkward. “So uhm… Why are you suddenly here again? I thought you moved to America.” I asked with a smile.

“Yeah…We uhm…moved back” She simply said while looking down. She cleared and looked back at me. “So… how are you doing?” she said with a small smile.

“Oh I’m doing good” I said with a smile.

“Are you still dancing?”

“Yeah, I actually work at a dance studio in the area.” She smiled brightly at me. “That’s so cool. I’m happy that you fulfilled your dream. I always knew that you’d accomplish it.” I felt my heart beating a little bit faster when I heard that. She still remembered.  In high school I always talked about how I wanted to work at a dance studio. The other’s always laughed at me and told me that I should rather study and become a lawyer or doctor or something similar boring as that, but I never wanted to. I didn’t care about money as much as the other snobs from my class did. The only ones that didn’t laugh at my dream but rather encouraged it were Sowon, Umji and well…Yerin.

We talked a little bit more. She told me that she was studying architecture back in America and became an architect. She also told me about her trips that she did during her college years, in which she flew to Australia, Greece and Spain. And I told her about that road trip that Sowon, Umji and I did after graduation, were we drew across the country for a month and stayed at cheap motels and almost only ate ramen. It was seriously one of the best memories that I have and it was really good to have some good time after everything that happened before.

After about an hour of talking and drinking our coffees, that we actually already drank after 10 minutes or so, we started to make our way out of the coffee shop. She offered to walk me home, even though I said she didn’t need to she still did. We walked in silence side by side until we arrived at the door to the complex in which I live, but I wasn’t ready to say good bye. I knew that I would probably see her more often now since she told me that she moved into a house about 15 minutes away from me, but I still didn’t want to part. So I took all the courage in me and asked her with hopeful eyes “Do you uh… maybe want to come inside for a bit?”

Note:

Hey guys :) This time I wrote a bit of a longer chapter, because I had a lot of time and I hope you will like it.

(I didn't really proof read it so I apologize for any mistakes and please take into consideration that english isn't my first language)

I don't really know if I will make the story a longer one with more angst (and still a lot fluff) or a shorter with more fluff and in return write a few new storys...

Anyway please tell me how you like the story so far in the comment section. I'm always very happy to see your reactions to the chapter :)