Timed Prompt (15 min)

Limited Expressions

 

image

Prompt: Kyungsoo really loves his neighbor, Jongin. He’s been crushing on the man for years, and one day, he finds any excuse to talk to him.


His palms are sweaty and his knees buckle as he walks the long stretch to his neighbor's door. There’s a small clear plastic bowl in his hands, and this very bowl is going to decide his fate.

You see, Kyungsoo has been crushing on his neighbor Jongin for years now, four to be exact. It’s quite pathetic really; that despite this unrequited love and strong feelings, he has yet to speak with Jongin for more than two minutes. Every time Jongin tries to talk to him, Kyungsoo abruptly leaves in fear of saying something stupid or unappealing.

Most people find Kyungsoo weird anyway. He’s gotten used to the occasional stares of bewilderment and chuckles of second-hand embarrassment. He simply couldn’t help the fact that he’s a homebody, who likes playing video games and wears far too small clothing.

Their family isn’t the wealthiest and hand-me-downs are the trend right now, he tells himself. But even he could get tired of his cowardly ways and want to try something new.

So here he is, with his empty bowl, gradually making his way to Jongin’s front porch. It will be the first time he’s initiated any form of contact between them, and simply stating that he’s scared would be an understatement, he’s deathly afraid.

He stands around for a few minutes, thinking of ways to open up the conversation. It must look pretty peculiar to a passer-by, who gives him a slight nod in recognition. He simply smiles, before puffing out his cheeks.

I can do this, he thinks before knocking on the door. Apparently, Jongin must have been standing next to it, because it swings open faster than he could take his next breath, Jongin’s smile is stupendous, like it always is, and Kyungsoo feels small underneath that bright stretch of the lips on such a gorgeous face.

His eyes examine the ground as he pushes the bowl out in front, “Do you have any sugar?” he asks, and when he raises his gaze, Jongin appears to be thinking about something. He soon perks up and gestures for Kyungsoo to come inside.

His small hesitant steps carry him inside the house he’s been ogling every day for the past four years. He finally gets to see inside, and it’s much nicer and homey than he could have imagined.

“We don’t have any sugar.” Jongin says, emerging from the kitchen. Blaring chants of “retreat, retreat” go off inside of Kyungsoo’s head. To be quite honest, he only came up with his need for sugar as an excuse to talk to Jongin. They have loads at home, and he doesn’t even have a sweet tooth.

“Oh, that’s too bad.” His shoulders slump.

“But, since you’re here, do you want to watch a movie? That new Star Trek one seems pretty good.” Jongin suggests, eagerly going to his DVD player and placing the disc inside. Kyungsoo fidgets nervously where he’s standing.

“Okay,” He agrees, taking a seat on the couch where Jongin pats for him to sit. 

They start the movie, and Kyungsoo begins to relax and talk more. He’s always loved sci-fi, and whenever anything dealing with movies is involved, he becomes a blabber mouth. Jongin seems quite amused, and he laughs heartily at Kyungsoo’s words, making sounds of excitement and awe.

“Kyungsoo, be honest with me..” he says suddenly, and Kyungsoo listens for his next words in silence, “you didn’t come here for the sugar, did you?” a smile spans across Jongin’s face, and Kyungsoo responds the same. Jongin already knew and this makes his heart swell. And he thinks maybe he’s waited too long to take that first step toward something this perfect.

 

 

 

 

image

Prompt: Kyungsoo is a plushie collector, and Jongin is the cashier at the toy store.


Kyungsoo couldn’t believe it as his eyes looked up at the very Plushie he’d been dreaming about for eternity. He stared at the lush form of dinosaur sitting on the highest shelf in all its holy glory. What he would give to have the funds to buy it, but his allowance was far too short this month and he spent half of it at an arcade messing around with Baekhyun.

His shoulders slumped as he trod down the aisle looking at the cheap knock-offs with a pout. They were imposters. The audacity this store had to place these deflated, ugly things underneath the Plushie of the century.

When his sadness shifted to anger, Kyungsoo knew things were getting serious. He wanted to speak with the manager about this monstrosity before him. So he pulled up his–already waist high–bottoms and straightened the spectacles on his face before marching to the cashier.

When he arrived at the cash station, the clerk’s back was facing him and he thought, the nerve of this fellow. First his plushie, and now this guy with his stupid bubble gum pink hair. He harshly slammed his palm on the counter and hissed from the unforeseen sting. The man startled from the sound and turned to face him, Kyungsoo’s breath hitched.

The plushie wasn’t the only thing he couldn’t believe.

Here, stood a man who was absolutely gorgeous to Kyungsoo. He couldn’t dare tell him of his dilemma involving a doll, a ing Plushie no less. So he had to think quick about his abrupt choice of approach. Things grew fairly awkward as the man awaited his complaint with a slight eyebrow quirked. However, Kyungsoo was good at maintaining his serious stance on the matter and cleared his throat.

“There is a dinosaur plushie in aisle 6 that I think deserves its own aisle.” he stood straight, fixing his glasses as though he was a good samaritan and an expert on shelf placing.

“You came all this way to complain about a plushie?” the clerk asked, highly amused, it was evident through his teasing tone.

Kyungsoo sternly nodded, “This isn’t any plushie we’re talking about here. But thee Plushie. And the way you guys smother its shine with these cheap knock-offs is a direct insult to the greatness it beholds!”

Kyungsoo should have expected that burst of boisterous laughter. He knew how ridiculous he sounded to any normal person. What he didn’t expect was for the guy to call him cute. The word slipped through his blaring cackling, and Kyungsoo would be lying if he’d claimed to be put off.

As much as he hated the guy for laughing at him, the man was fairly beautiful within his own merit. At least, that was what Kyungsoo thought, initially.

That opinion soon dwindled when the guy wouldn’t stop laughing. By this time, Kyungsoo was growing annoyed at his fit of giggles. No one had the capacity to laugh this long, he didn’t think it was that damn funny.

“What’s your name cutie?” the man asked after finally finishing his laughter.

He huffed, “Kyungsoo.”

“Kyungsoo, what would you say if I could buy that plushie for you?”

“I’d say,” Kyungsoo paused, his eyes growing larger, “What!” he stammered, “You’ll buy it? But it’s 200 dollars!”

The clerk shrugged, “It allowed me to meet you, and that, that is simply priceless.” Kyungsoo couldn’t prevent himself from snorting like the nerd that he was. And in an instant, his opinion about the clerk had risen once again.

 

 

 

 

image

Prompt: Photo (above)


He’s watching her again. Jongin grits his teeth, hands folding into fists. He’s talking to her again. He seethes, eyes trained on his five-year crush and the man’s costar. It boils in his gut, pushing his envy to the surface. What he wouldn’t give to be in her spot, openly talking and conversing with the main protagonist of the movie. But Jongin is a coward, rightfully so, as he is a nobody; a simple helping hand behind the scenes. He’s not even important enough to fetch the donuts and coffee for the staff. All he does is follow the assistant’s assistant around in a measly internship that pays him zilch. 

Kyungsoo is a renowned actor within the field and there isn’t anyone who hasn’t heard of him or haven’t witnessed his amazing skills. It’s quite taboo not to know of his roles and movie titles. If you were ever caught slipping on his filmography, you would be welcomed with looks of disbelief. 

Jongin knows Kyungsoo is a straight, wholesome guy who wouldn’t spare him a two second glance, but he sure could hope and dream that one day it would happen. 

“Jongin, come on.” Baekhyun, assistant 2.0, gestures for him to follow and he does so with an agitated click of his tongue. But he misses the shifting of Kyungsoo’s eyes in his direction as he leaves the set for today with a hanging head.

The next morning, he arrives to the set early. No one is around and he makes himself a mug of hot coffee before starting the gruesome day ahead. It's smooth and rich, as it flows slowly down his throat. He hums in satisfaction. What a good cup of coffee this is. Until he is interrupted moments later with the click of the door.

Jongin subtly flinches, closing in on himself to appear smaller, that way no one will talk to him. It’s not as if they do so anyway, but he makes sure that he wouldn’t be seen. 

“Good Morning.” A voice speaks out, and Jongin has to reel in his mind because it seemingly jumped from out of his head. That voice is familiar. How could he not know it? He’s only listened to it millions of times while rewatching his dramas and movies on his sofa. 

Looking up with concealed amazement, Jongin lightly bows his head, a small ‘good morning’ coming from his lips. He doesn’t know what to say or do, where to look or stand. It’s nerve wracking, making his fingers shake until that voice sounds again. 

“You’re Jongin, right?” Jongin’s eyes blink, then they blink again, and he’s looking at the man’s face now. Kyungsoo is all smiling glory, appearing well rested and glowing when there isn’t even enough light to give him such a luster. Jongin gulps, shaking his head and Kyungsoo’s face scrunches in confusion. Reality catches up to Jongin and he frantically nods his head. God, why am I so stupid?

Kyungsoo smiles so sweet and kind, that Jongin finds himself returning the gesture. “Well, Jongin, want to go and grab a coffee sometime?“ Kyungsoo suggests, a faint tilt of his head following his words. If Jongin didn’t know any better, he would assume that Kyungsoo is flirting. But this is him we’re talking about here, and he knows far better than that. The fact that Kyungsoo is talking to him seems so surreal that he simply blinks. 

Kyungsoo snickers. “Blink once for no, and twice for yes.” Jongin blinks twice and the actor doubles over in laughter. A quiet snicker falls from his lips as he watches Kyungsoo’s bright smile stretch further. He has such nice teeth. “It’s nice meeting you, Jongin. See you soon. Okay?” And without uttering another word, Jongin blinks twice.


Twitter: @inarichii | Tumblr: http://inarichi.tumblr.com/