Chapter 24: Can it Get Worse?

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“How did no one tell Yiseul about Jaewon’s… habit?” Jisoo questions from the doorway of the kitchen. 

Silently, Yiseul was moving about the kitchen to get started on her tea. On a normal day, she would be preparing to leave for classes but today, everyone received a text that went on to notify them that it would be a snow day. Unfortunately for Jaewon, his practice was early. Too early for the school to decide that classes and activities should and would be cancelled. So, his practice carried on as usual. 

That also meant, the dorm would be rowdy like how it would be on the weekends. Yiseul tried to get a head count and a face was predictably missing. 

Jinhwan. 

“You didn’t say anything either, Jisoo,” Seunghoon points out and his voice draws Yiseul back to the conversation.

“Yeah, but I also expected either Jaewon or Junhoe to mention it,” she responds. 

“It would have been a waste if I did,” Junhoe interjects. “I haven’t laughed that hard in a while.”

“Jaewon reminded me to lock my door,” Yiseul suddenly says and it successfully elicits everyone’s attention. “But, I didn’t remember to.”

Yiseul has learned this morning from Junhoe –while he was laughing and still thrilled by the event– that not only does Jaewon sleep walk at night but that he also have a habit of traveling to that dorm room. Her dorm room. 

Why? She doesn’t have the answer to that yet. 

Seungyoon sighs from his seat at the kitchen table. 

“What is your sign, Yiseul?” Jinwoo suddenly asks. 

“Pisces.”

“Based on what I saw on my calendar,” he starts off while Yiseul could see everyone giving exasperated looks, “You should be careful for the time being.”

“I’ll remember to lock it from now on.” She smiles so he would know she did appreciate his words. 

Receiving a lack of response, she brings the cup of tea up to her lips before looking up. Everyone’s expression immediately told her the amount of faith they had in her words. 

“I’ll remind you,” Jisoo finally suggests. 

***

The next day, Yiseul took a break from her studying in the kitchen when her sights land on the windows that lined the one wall. Walking over, she takes a look and notices how much colder she felt as she approaches. She skims her finger gently across the glass to find it is completely frozen and that the ice obscures the outside. 

So, it is only expected that they would have a second snow day. 

“Junhoe wouldn’t shut up about how good he got you.”

Hanbin’s sudden voice coming from behind causes Yiseul to jolt. She spins around to see him standing at the doorway. 

“What?” He grows curious. “What’s outside that is so interesting?”

“You actually can’t see outside,” she responds before heading towards her snack locker. 

Tending to forget that she shouldn’t be grabbing the key from its hiding spot with others around, Yiseul suddenly and unnaturally freezes in front of her locker.

Hanbin sighs. “I already know about it.” 

She turns to look at him. “How?”

“Mino asked me to look for the key when it went missing,” he answers.

“But, you don’t know where we keep it.”

Without a word, Hanbin merely allows his eyes to show that he knew exactly where the key is kept. Not because Mino told him but because he came across Yiseul reaching up there the other night. Seeing how it’s already exposed, she gives in and stretches her arm to grab the hidden key to open up her stash. She is going to have to find a new spot. 

“Whoa, whoa! What are you doing here?” Junhoe’s voice cuts through the air outside in the hall. 

Hanbin looks over his shoulder and Yiseul soon appears beside him to also see for herself. 

Down the hallway, Junhoe had planted himself as an obstacle in front of Joohyuk. 

“You don’t let us come over so there’s no reason why we should let you in,” Junhoe continues unhappily and with his arms crossed upon his chest. It seems he hasn’t let that one incident from the other day go. 

Joohyuk was going to respond before his eyes landed on the person he was looking for. Gently, he moves Junhoe aside and walks forward. “Hey, Yiseul.”

Junhoe scoffs in disbelief at basically being shoved aside. 

Coming out to meet Joohyuk, she waits to see what he wants.

“Is your heating working okay?” 

“I think so,” she responds before remembering the area by the windows. But, that’s to be expected. There isn’t going to be insulation there. 

“Okay, ours is acting up and I just wanted to make sure,” Joohyuk explains. “If anything goes wrong, is it okay if some of my residents come over?”

Yiseul went to open but Junhoe’s loud scoff interrupts her. 

“Well, well, well– you’re not here asking for a favor, are you?” Junhoe snaps. “Remember when I asked for a favor to go through Center body to get to the East wing? Remember when your residents refused–,”

“Sure, they can come,” Yiseul responds.

“Dorm head!” Junhoe calls out in clear displeasure. 

“Thanks,” Joohyuk offers a smile that Yiseul returns. 

Still in disbelief, Junhoe doesn’t make another comment towards the Center body’s dorm head as he passes to return to his wing. Instead, Junhoe follows Yiseu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter