Chapter 17: An Open Book

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Dorm head!”

Yiseul snapped awake and sat straight up. For a moment, she thought her own eyes were playing tricks on her. Because here she was still in bed, harshly awaken at–,

She reaches for her phone beside her pillow and checks for the time. 

4 AM. 

She turns her attention back on Bobby standing at the end of her room with her door wide enough to slip half of his body inside and with his hand still on her doorknob. Unlike her, he appears to be wide awake. 

“Bobby,” she says more to confirm it for herself. Is he really here or is she dreaming? Wait, did something happen?

“Your door was unlocked,” he merely responds. “I need help.”

She didn’t understand why he had chosen this time to be awake.

“I couldn’t sleep thinking about today,” he says as if he already knows what she’s wondering.

The sun is barely up and she’s in his room with Yunhyeong– who is still fast asleep and undisturbed by the two. She stares down at the white button-down shirt and black slacks on the ironing board with wrinkles and all. 

“I burnt my last one and no one else on this floor knows how to do it,” Bobby still has the mind to speak quietly. 

“There must be someone.” There is twenty of them. 

“No one that would help me.”

Yiseul watches him silently as he gingerly straightens out his clothes on the ironing board for her. He peers at her from the side, silently urging her forward. 

“These are my only ones and I can’t risk burning them again,” he pleads. 

Taking the iron gently from his hands, Yiseul gets to work. Her hands start moving and she begins to carry out the task without much trouble while Bobby watches her from the side with relief. 

“Are these for your presentation today?” she asks softly. 

“Yes.”

“How do you feel about it?”

“As ready as I ever will be.” Which is really, never. 

“After you do it, everyone will forget about it,” Yiseul comforts him. “Believe me.”

“Really?” He doubts it. If he embarrasses himself, it would become a lifelong memory. It would be one those that would keep one up all night and from sleeping.

“Have you ever remembered any presentations performed by your classmates?”

Bobby gives it some thought before switching the topic. “Dorm head, are you really not mad about this situation?”

“Did you think I would blow up?” she asks without stopping her current movements. Jennie mentioned something similar to that before.  

“Not ‘blow up’ but I thought you would be at least grumpy.”

“Do you like getting woken up at 4 AM?”

He shakes his head.

“It’s a universal concept,” she answers. “But, I can always get back to sleep.”

***

But, interrupted sleep will always create problems.

For starters, Yiseul didn’t feel like she had much rest despite being able to catch another two hours. Letting out a loud yawn, she stares down at her half-eaten bowl of cereal on the counter. She didn’t even have the energy to finish it. Her desire to just close her eyes for a quick moment overtakes her–,

“You look terrible,” Mino comments as he appears beside her. 

How disappointing. “I actually tried today,” she answers and looks in his direction. 

“What did you do?”

“I put a lot of effort in my makeup this morning.”

He leans in closer to have a look. “Were the bags underneath your eyes a part of this effort?”

She sighs. 

“I guess not,” he quietly says before returning to his granola bar. 

“I’ve already made plans to take a nap after my morning class.” 

“You’ll never be able to get sleep on this floor.”

She has started to learn such a fact. But, she’ll give it a try anyways. 

***

From her dorm room, Suhyun peeks out and carefully looks down both hallways before sneaking out just enough to close her door quietly behind herself. From what she heard from the others on the floor, dorm head is back in her room after morning classes. So, Suhyun needed to speak to her before she returns to campus. 

Keeping her eyes focused on a particular dorm room a little further down the hall, she didn’t notice the presence that suddenly appeared. Another step closer and she bumped into someone’s chest. Her head snapped up.

“God, Mino! You scared me!” she hisses under her breath while touching her chest. If she had been any louder, she would have been caught by the one person she has tried to avoid these past few days. 

“What are you doing?” Mino asks in a normal volume.

“I need to talk to dorm head,” Suhyun answers while trying to shush him. 

Just as she moves to walk around him, he sidesteps and blocks her path once more. 

“Now, you’re just doing that on purpose, Mino,” she points out. 

“She’s taking a nap.”

She looks at him in confusion. “When did you become the watch?”

Mino merely lifts his hand an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter