Chapter 16: Body Instincts

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Opening her bag of chips in the midst of the rowdy medium-size lecture, she watches the room beginning to be filled with students. Yiseul’s eyes wander from row to row to seek out the reason why she is spending her break time in a class that she was not registered for. Her snack– the replacement for lunch –seems to ease her stomach grumbles just enough when she spots the familiar face walking along the aisle. He takes a seat in the middle of the lecture hall with some other people who she assumes are his friends. 

Today, is the day.

Today is going to be the day she discovers the answer to the big mystery. 

The lecture starts normal like any other and she looks to see what he’s doing. He had his laptop open and she had originally thought that it was being used to take notes but with closer inspection, she sees him scrolling through photos. Subtly, she leans forward hoping to make them out clearer.

Women.

They were of beautiful women and she recognized them. Famous women from girl groups, TV shows, movies…, 

He nudges the boy beside him before pointing at his screen. She couldn’t hear what he asked but his friend shook his head at whatever he did. He goes back to searching frivolously on his laptop this time, bringing up another photo which earns him the same reaction.

Apparently, it’s disappointing because this time he shouts, “What?” 

His voice reverberates throughout the lecture hall and the professor stops in the midst of his talking and looks over but the boy at focus seems unaware as he continues with his disruption. Unlike him, his friend appears to have sensibly noticed the attention and tries to cover the boy’s mouth in an attempt to quiet him down. 

But, it doesn’t work. 

“Irene is prettiest idol of our time and you just shook your head? Are you broken somewhere?” 

Yiseul watches on, pausing in her snacking as the scene unfolds. 

The professor slips off his glasses. “Jung Chanwoo?” he calls out. 

Chanwoo looks over. “Come on, I can’t let this injustice continue.”

Yiseul sighs. So, this is the answer to the big mystery?

***

Yiseul tries to hide as much of her face as she can in the collar of her coat to avoid the blistering cold as she returns to Touchstone dorms. Now, that she has figured out what Chanwoo was up to, what is she going to do now?

Quick movements coming from behind her sends her looking over her shoulder. 

Junhoe halts in his movements when they make eye contact, his expression evidently showing that he’s up to no good again. “I was so close,” he says with a chuckle when he realizes he’s caught. 

“To do what?”

“Surprise tackle,” he replies. 

Well, isn’t she glad that she heard his loud footsteps then? “Anyone can hear you coming.”

“I’ll work on it.”

She nods her head as he catches up to walk beside her. “Have you seen Bobby?”

“No, I haven’t.”

Junhoe sighs as he digs his hands into the pockets of his jacket. “He normally waits after his class so that we head back together but I didn’t see him anywhere,” he trails off. 

“Are you lonely?”

He snorts. “No, the surprise tackle would have definitely been successful if he was with me.”

She watches him from the side. “You can try again next time.”

***

Suhyun sends a knowing smile just as she enters the elevator and disappears. Yiseul doesn’t look away from the spot, lost in her thoughts. Just this once. She’ll agree to the temporary solution just this once. After this, the two of them need to reevaluate this situation. 

Another dorm room opens and Chanhyuk steps out. He looks down both ends of the hallway before his attention lands on Yiseul where their eyes meet.  

“Chanhyuk, do you have some time?”

“Huh?” he reacts to the surprising question. “Right now?”

She nods. 

And that is how the two of them are now sharing each other’s company in the kitchen. She returns to the table with two cups of tea. She gently slides one towards him and takes her seat across from him. 

“One of my responsibilities is to advise the residents here,” she explains to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter