Spring Break

Spring Scent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moon…

 

I love basking myself under its illumination.

 

I’ve always found it pretty relaxing.

 

It had always been my companion ever since I became a grim reaper.

 

It had come to witness my moments of triumph and conquest over the years.

 

A sanctuary to my solitude.

 

 

I never thought that a time would come…

 

that I’d find myself loathing its moment of triumph.

 

That inevitable phase when it becomes completely illuminated…

 

A night of a full moon.

 

 

“Eunseo! You’re totally soaked!”

 

Water had started to pool on the floor where I was standing right by the door to Bona’s apartment.

 

“I didn’t know that it was going to rain. I didn’t have an umbrella.”

 

Bona invited me inside her apartment. She then grabbed a towel and began wiping off the water that was dripping from my hair.

 

“Is Cheng Xiao around, Bona?”

 

“No. She hasn’t come back from her morning jog. She must have taken shelter from the rain somewhere.”

 

The rain continued to pour hard outside. It was getting a bit cold considering that the clothes that I’ve been wearing were now drenched in rain water. Without giving it much of a second thought, I found myself hugging Bona.

 

“Can we stay like this for a while, Bona?”

 

Despite the fact that Bona’s clothes had now become wet as well, she still hugged back. I could feel the warmth of her skin. Her scent was enthralling and the pouring rain had failed to muffle the sound of her beating heart.

 

“Well aren’t you forgetting something, Eunseo?

 

We are both grim reapers…

 

Bona is going to die soon…

 

Who do you think is going to end up getting hurt in the end?”

 

I tightened my hug on Bona as I recalled Cheng Xiao’s words from last night. Just three more days… I can’t believe how little time we had left to be together. Can I truly give her all the love that she deserves? Do we even deserve to be together? Should have I ignored my feelings? Can our love surpass such a cruel fate? Of course not… I should have known better. I shouldn’t have gotten involved with her. Wouldn’t that have been better for the both of us?

 

“Eunseo… Thank you… for spending time with me. I know we just met last week but it felt like it was meant to be...The time we spent together were the best moments of my life. You made me realize how wonderful it is to be alive.”

 

“Bona…”

 

The damp towel had fallen to the floor as I loosened my hug on Bona. We were now looking at each other’s eyes.

 

“I love you, Eunseo. Please continue to love me.”

 

We both leaned in. I could feel her soft lips against mine. Our eyes were now closed. Nose brushing against each other as we shared a deeper kiss. I could hear every single beat of her heart. My fingers were running through her hair and settled on the back of Bona’s neck as she wrapped her arms around my waist. Our lips separated all too soon and we found ourselves gazing passionately at each other’s eyes once again.

 

“I love you too, Bona.”

 

 

“I’m back, Jiyeonie.”

 

“Seongso! I was starting to get worried. You were gone for almost two hours. Here, have some hot Choco. You must have been cold from the rain.”

 

Cheng Xiao took a seat beside me by the kitchen table. We didn’t really make any eye contact as I continued to take a sip from my mug.

 

“Thanks, Jiyeonie. I waited for the rain to stop.”

 

“It’s okay. At least you’re back home safe.”

 

An awkward silence lingered as we sat around the table while taking a sip from our respective mugs from time to time.

 

“So uhm… Eunseo… What are your plans for your birthday?” Bona asked as she took another sip from her mug.

 

“My birthday?”

 

Cheng Xiao took a glance at me as I placed my mug back on the table.

 

“Yeah. It’s on the 27th of May, right? That’s three days from now.”

 

How careless of me. I didn’t even think about what day it was when I told Bona some random date.

 

“I don’t usually celebrate my birthday, Bona.”

 

“Better make this one count, Eunseo. Spring is about to end. I’m gonna go freshen up myself a bit, Jiyeonie.”

 

Cheng Xiao stood up and proceeded to grab the things that she needed and headed for the bathroom.

 

“Well anyway, while you think about what you want for your birthday, look at what I’ve got.”

 

Bona ran towards her bed and got Cheng Xiao’s book from under the pillow. She opened it and was now holding what seemed to be tickets for a certain event or promotion.

 

“Jjang!!! I got us one-day tickets to the zoo!”

 

“The zoo? We’re going to the zoo today, Bona?”

 

“Yes. You, me and Cheng Xiao! Well technically it’s a theme park but with animals. Aren’t you excited to see all those cute animals?”

 

Well Bona and I have been to an amusement park before but I haven’t really gone to a zoo yet and Bona seemed to be very excited about it, so why not. I just hope it will somehow lift the awkward atmosphere between me and Cheng Xiao.

 

“Sure… that’s nice.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter