I'm Serious, Seongso.

Spring Scent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was exactly a hundred years ago.

 

 

I just got back from the human world after an exasperating day of fighting against demons who tried to corrupt another mortal’s soul. Demons… nothing gets them more excited than seeing those poor mortals in chaos and killing each other after corrupting their souls, claiming them without proper judgment. Part of a job of a grim reaper is to keep the harmony between the spirit world and the demon world, judging whether a mortal’s soul is given reward or punishment after they have died. Reward would mean allowing the mortal’s soul to enter the spirit world and attain eternal peace. Punishment would in tale an eternity of suffering in the demon world. It was all just a bit of a drag for me. Just when I thought I could finally relax, the council suddenly decided to summon me.

 

“Son Juyeon. It has come to our attention that you have performed exceptionally well over the years of being a grim reaper. You’ve saved a myriad of souls from those demons and we are forever grateful for your zeal and loyalty.”

 

I was just doing my job, nothing more.

 

“We have decided to grant you the opportunity to be part of the Jeoseung Saja Council to show you our gratitude.”

 

I know I’m supposed to be happy about all this but that’s not exactly what I wanted.

 

“Do you not wish to be part of the council?”

 

“I am deeply honored to be acknowledged by the Great Jeoseung Saja but I believe I do not deserve such a glorious promotion.”

 

Every other grim reaper would have done anything to be in my position. Being part of the council would mean respect, honor and power over the spirit realm. I really didn’t care about all that. I neither like nor dislike living a life as a grim reaper. It was just getting tedious over the years and there’s something else that I really want.

 

“We have come to understand that you have something else in mind that you wish to be granted?” the council inquired.

 

“Say it and we shall grant it.”

 

"......"

 

“I wish to resign from this job.”

 

The council was astonished by my declaration. Everyone else must have thought I’ve gone crazy but I know that I didn’t want to do this anymore.

 

“We would like to hear an explanation for such an avowal.”

 

I didn’t give them an answer. There wasn’t really anything more to say to them. There was no way they would allow me to just quit.

 

“Very well, we have considered your wish and we have decided to grant it… on one condition.”

 

I knew they wouldn’t let go of me that easily.

 

“You will be relieved of your position if you will be able to keep your rank as the zenith of all the grim reapers for one century.”

 

I just remained silent.

 

“And one more thing, Son Juyeon. Would you care to enlighten us with regards to a certain grim reaper who is known as Cheng Xiao?”

 

After I was dismissed from the counci

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter