A Great Story Teller

Spring Scent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hmm… that’s strange…”

 

“Is everything okay, Eunseo?”

 

“Uh yeah… wait… I can’t find my key.”

 

“Do you need help? I could just take this blindfold off and- “

 

“Don’t! Wait, I found it! Keep that blindfold on, Seongso.”

 

 

Click!

 

 

It took me a while to find the key to my apartment. It was dark inside but I knew my way around. I carefully led Cheng Xiao and made her sit on the sofa. I have always wanted to surprise Cheng Xiao about my apartment and so I asked her to wear a blindfold after we left Bona’s apartment. Cheng Xiao was reluctant at first but agreed to me after I did some cringy aegyo. I reached for the light switch but the lights weren’t working.

 

“Okay, this is weird. Did I forget to pay the bills or something? I’m pretty sure the lights were working outside.”

 

“Uhm… Can I take my blindfold off, Eunseo?”

 

“Wait, no! I got this.”

 

Well so much for my surprise. I remember I had a candle lying around. Good thing the landlady gave me that scented candle as a welcome gift. Who knew that candle would come in handy in this situation?

 

“Alright…”

 

“Wow.. That smells so nice, Eunseo. Is that cherry blossom?”

 

“Yup! Oh and you can take your blindfold off now.”

 

Cheng Xiao took off her blindfold but we both couldn’t see much really. The light from the candle was too dim.

 

“I’m sorry, Seongso. I don’t know why the lights aren’t working. I really wanted to surprise you with what I’ve done with the apartment.”

 

I sat beside Cheng Xiao on the sofa. Cheng Xiao then snuggled up to me.

 

“It’s okay, Eunseo. What matters is at least we are together now.”

 

“Yeah… You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this moment.”

 

“Let me guess… a hundred years?”

 

There was a hint of sadness and a bit of sarcasm on that last statement coming from Cheng Xiao and I really couldn’t blame her for that.

 

“I’m sorry, Seongso.”

 

“No.. I’m sorry, Eunseo. I didn’t mean to- ”

 

“This is all my fault now, isn’t it? “

 

“Eunseo…”

 

“I guess being mortal was just too much to ask.”

 

“You’re more human than you think you are, Eunseo.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“That’s the very reason why you were the zenith and that you deserved that promotion. You actually put so much time and consideration when you decide if a soul was to receive reward or punishment. You go out of your way to see beyond the given information that we obtain when we get assigned to a soul. Out of all the grim reapers that I have ever met, you know best when it comes to being a mortal. You showed me that it’s okay to be vulnerable… to make mistakes and that nobody is perfect… not even us in the spirit world. I finally understood what Bona said… that you both found something far more important than being immortal. You taught me how to love. Love is something that goes beyond anyone’s understanding yet it’s the most natural thing to ever happen to anyone.”

 

Cheng Xiao adjusted herself and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

 

“I love you, Eunseo. Don’t ever forget that.”

 

“I love you too, Seongso.”

 

“We won’t be able to see each other for quite a while after tomorrow but I’ll find a way somehow. You take care of yourself, all right? Make every moment count and don’t you dare die on me or I’ll punish you.”

 

That last remark made me giggle and Cheng Xiao just slapped my arm.

 

“Yah! I’m serious, Eunseo.”

 

“Spoken like a true grim reaper.”

 

Cheng Xiao just pouted and I find it really cute when she does that.

 

“Don’t worry, Seongso. I’m already on it. I actually found a part time job at a nearby café that has recently opened. The owner said that I could start next week. I’ll save up and take you out on a date someday.”

 

“Spoken like a true mortal. Keep this up and I might just give you a reward after all.”

 

Cheng Xiao and I just gave each other a smile before making ourselves more comfortable on the sofa.

 

“By the way… I’ve been meaning to ask you something about Bona’s case, Eunseo.”

 

“What about it?”

 

“You do know that as grim reapers, we are given a full background on the soul that we are assigned to, right?”

 

“Hmm.. Yeah..”

 

“Like e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter