How Sure Are You

Spring Scent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Now where did I put those keys?”

 

Xuan Yi still had both of her hands full with the shopping bags and was having trouble getting her keys from one of her pockets. She paused to her actions as she heard footsteps heading towards her. A faint sound of a song could also be heard playing from someone’s headphones.

 

 

Are we really breaking up now?
Or is it just a short break, like we promised
It seems like this is as much as I can take
Why haven’t I heard from you?

 

 

“Cheng Xiao! Can you help with my keys? They’re inside my pocket.”

 

Cheng Xiao walked towards Xuan Yi. But instead of taking out Xuan Yi’s keys from her pocket, Cheng Xiao started frisking her.

 

 

I still can’t accept the fact that you were the one who announced our separation
I just want to take your words as it is
What are you doing right now?

 

 

“Xiao… I told you that my keys are inside my pocket, didn’t I?”

 

 

Neoreul saranghae kkeutdo eomneun gidarimirado gwaenchana
Niga nareul tashi chajeul ttaemyeon eonjena

neoreul hyanghae useo jul su inneunde

 

 

“Are you listening to me, Cheng Xiao?”

 

 

Right now, even though the sadness and your leaving is settling in slowly
All I can think about is how good it would be if you came back to me
Why do I act so foolishly?
The “time” that you have given me, was just the time to straighten out the distance between us

 

 

 

Cheng Xiao finally took out the keys from Xuan Yi’s pocket and opened the door. She extended her hand and offered to carry one of the shopping bags.

 

“Thanks, Cheng Xiao! I thought I lost you there. And why did you frisk me?”

 

“It’s all part of the standard operating procedure, Xuan Yi. I was just checking if you were carrying some sort of weapon that you use to finish off those poor mortals.”

 

“Look, Cheng Xiao… I’m just a gumiho. I’m not the one carrying a long and very sharp scythe, using it to claim all those souls while listening to some break up song.”

 

“Okay… That’s it! I’m burning that vexatious book of yours!”

 

Cheng Xiao dropped the shopping bag and turned her back on Xuan Yi.

 

“No!!! My precious seaweed!”

 

Xuan Yi tried to pick up the packs of seaweed that had fallen on the floor. Cheng Xiao started walking away but was grabbed by the leg by Xuan Yi.

 

“No, Cheng Xiao! Don’t go! I’m sorry… that book is really important to me!”

 

Cheng Xiao turned and bent down on her knees to face Xuan Yi.

 

“Even more important than your seaweed?”

 

“Uhm.. uh.. My seaweed is important to me too! Why do I have to choose between my book and my seaweed?”

 

“Indeed… I wonder if love could work that way.”

 

“What was that, Cheng Xiao?”

 

“Would it be possible to love two completely different individuals at the same time?”

 

Cheng Xiao was starting to tear up as she tried to help pick up the fallen packs of seaweed on the floor.

 

“Cheng Xiao… Come here…”

 

Xuan Yi gave Cheng Xiao a hug.

 

“Why don’t we go inside? It’s getting cold out here.”

 

 

It was finally happening. No turning back now. Bona got her key and opened the door to her apartment.

 

“Can you please put the shopping bag on the kitchen counter, Eunseo? I just need to use the bathroom real quick.”

 

“Yeah… sure, Bona.”

 

I know our conversation with Bona got a little tense earlier but we never really got to finish it after our encounter with Xuan Yi. Bona didn’t even talk to me on our way back to the apartment. Did I somehow mess everything up? But what’s more important right now is the fact that I would be spending the whole night alone with her. Oh well…

 

I was still standing by the kitchen counter. I was too preoccupied with my thoughts that I didn’t notice that Bona had got out of the bathroom and was standing behind me. She wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her head sideways on my back.

 

“Bona… about earlier…”

 

“We don’t have to talk about that right now, Eunseo.”

 

I found myself caressing Bona’s arm and she tightened her hug in response. We stayed like that for a good while.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter