Final

Coffee and Chocolate Floating Through Midnight Skies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Fin.[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Let's Watch the Stars Together[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

 

 

     Dreams.

They allude many concepts of the mind. Majority of the time my dreams hold little value. Strange, weird, downright out of ordinary and rather useless for the most part.

I had a dream.

A pleasant dream where the evening sky blurred all into one luminescent pastel sky. The warming heat grazing upon my skin and consuming my body with a sense of tranquility. Sitting on a ridiculously high rooftop I watch from below the hustle and bustle of the suburban streets and the diverse people wandering it. Everyone seemed content with their lives, moving forward towards the daily motion without much of a single care. Normally under regular circumstances I would be plagued with worries buried deep inside my frantic mind.

What to achieve. How will I ever succeed? Gotta grow up fast. What will I do after graduating high school? What college do I want to even bother with? Must find a living wage job. Too many questions with very little answers. However, I didn't feel such stress weighing me down into the pavement. Instead, whenever I inhale the fresh air the scent of mocha latte teases my nose.

Suddenly, I feel a presence beside me.

When I look over my shoulders it was him again, Kim Namjoon. At this I found my lips edging upwards, "Hey," by the looks of it Namjoon seemed at ease, too. In fact, so pleased with life itself that his lips couldn't stop grinning. His soft brown eyes twinkled with something enchanting, yet nonchalant about everything around us. "Hey," he replies with a wave and leans towards the edge of the rooftop...- not that it bothered me, frankly.

Wearing nothing more than a gray hoodie, some ripped up jean and sneakers, Namjoon pulls out a slender black electric cigarette pen. Glancing down at my own hands that's when I, too, notice an electric silver pen in my grasp. I didn't really think much of it and presses it to my lips. That's when I absorb the flavor of velvety dark chocolate and reminisce the vapor exiting my nose. I glanced at Namjoon to find him doing just the same, only this time I smelt a strong scent of coffee filtering the air from his lips.

We both giggled.

Everything soon ceased existence. A shadow blanketing over the fading sky, a reminder that all good things eventually end.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP-

My eyes snapped open.

The sun greets me like one of my brother's destroying perfectly peaceful sleep. My hand reaches for the alarm as a groan escapes from my lips. Unlike the dream where everything was pleasant and peaceful and sitting on rooftops watching the evening sky, I awake to the harsh reality shoved directly in my face.

No sky gazing. No Kim Namjoon, and no ing vapes.

Just another day of nothing.

Grumbling rumbles inside my chest as I can feel the irritation creep alongside my already pissy emotions. Slowly, I arise from my disheveled bed with my bare feet pressing against the wooden floor. Fatigued pulls at my body in all directions and the temptation to crawl back into the soft cold sheets of comfort seemed alluring. However, I quickly shook my head in hopes to prepare for another day of school. A quick shower, I throw on an oversized white shirt tucked under some tight blue demin jeans and then shrugged on my favorite blue jean jacket. Tying the thin strings of my black steeled toe boots I then rushed down the steps and into the kitchen.

The fresh whiff of eggs, pancakes and savory bacon flooded my senses and I smiled. Across the kitchen was my mom whipping up breakfast, which wasn't often due to her demanding workload as a physician, so the rarity of food is greatly appreciated. My dad sat at the end of the table reading the daily newspaper, a lingering scent of bold Brazilian coffee rising from his thick mug.

"Mornin'." I grunt before pecking my mom's thick cheekbones and my father's bushy ones.

"Morning." My dad lazily replies.

"Where's Matthew and Mark?"

"Already gone. They wanted to meet up with their friends early to do some project or somethin'." Eyes focused on the newspaper, dad continue to nurse on his mug of coffee before cursing.

". Reduction of health care is going to take effect next week. That's already five percent on reduction! Katherine, did you get this information? That means we gotta pay extra. Can't any of those jokers find redirect those funds to better coverage plans? Goddamn..." I sigh. My parents were always discussing the latest information revolving political stuff. Stuff that's drastically important to daily life but I distance myself from it all due to lack of interest. My mom responded with a series of sentences, sentences which I had quickly tuned out.

Grabbing a small plate of eggs and bacon, I proceed to pour myself a tiny glass of orange juice. Again, I didn't really bother to consume much outside of juice and bits of bacon, so by the time it was time to go I shoved my leftover eggs in the refrigerator and bid my parents goodbye. Luckily the travel to school wasn't a long walk...- probably no more than a ten minute stroll. Though, I'd argue that some days feels much longer when lost inside one's thoughts.

 

     California Cherrywood High School.

It wasn't a total dumpster fire, buuuut if I had to compare to the other schools in the Sacramento area then it is not the most efficient in terms of quality. I mean, some of the facilities are like old hand-me-downs from generations before. Speaking of such, the school did open when my grandma was born so that's a fun factor to consider.

Giant palm trees resided at the edge of the highly trafficked road. The building itself was crackling with chipped foundation, thick bushes of weeds infiltrating in-between the broken pavement. Further ahead there were two large double doors were opened wide to invite everyone inside the clutches of redundancy. My feet were dragging against the fractured concrete and up the small steps as the chatter of many students encases around me. The energy to spend another day hoarded inside classrooms with portion of teachers desperate to retire is anxiety inducing within itself. Truth be told, school isn't really all that bad when you exclude the constant peer pressure and teenage social issues that comes along with it all.

But unfortunately, this school doesn't give much of a care about reputation. Too focused on numbers. Too desperate trying to fulfill a quota compared to caring for the welfare of kids like me. Majority of the times it can be either pleasant or an entire garbage pit depending on the day and number of squatters pretending to be teenagers. Long story short, no single s are needed to be given.

School isn't always a pathway to hell, but there are times when one can perceive school as a hellhole. I mean, school is supposed to help you become productive person; you eventually graduate, enter college, get a degree and then work at some deadbeat job where you're slaving over pennies and nickels and surviving off packaged noodles. Or, maybe, I'm becoming more cynical over the years as the reality of my future seems rather grim.

At the top of the steps I see my two friends Mae and Becky. They were leaning against the rails as they were conversing amongst themselves until they saw me.

"Hey girl."

"'Ey."

I raised a limp hand, seemingly disinterested as we all entered inside the school. I didn't really have much to discuss about, though by the curious glances from Becky and Mae made me scowl. "What?" I wasn't in the mood to talk about yesterday's confrontation. In fact, I didn't even want to recall yesterday's event which sparked my venture to lurk on Namjoon's social media...

"Did you at least get anyone's number?"

I directed my deadpanned attention to Mae. "No Mae," I replied, "I doubt after that horrid attempt to impress anyone they would be interested in conversing with me." I did not, however, let them know about my phone chat with Namjoon. Neither did I mention the fact I listened to a few of his songs.

The overwhelming scent of mildew, body sweat, and cheap glade spray disguised as perfume soon invades my nasals. I pinched at the bridge of my nose, irritated, and tried to redirect my focus on anything but the smell. Students began piling inside the hallways with their colors of beige, ivories, red, blacks and oranges. Despite the fact it's over hundred degrees average, people were transitioning from tight summer clothing to autumn. Moreso baggier outfits and hoodies from Adidas, probably.

"It's alright Aubrey." Becky sighed with an unconcerned shrug, "I'll give you props for trying. Could've been worst." I was about to hotly retort when I suddenly see someone of blond hair...- faux blond hair, and I know those tiny black roots and ashy skin and deep dimples. It's way too familiar to forget.

I immediately cursed.

Motherer.

Sweet baby Jesus. I turn my back from him and pressed against the rusting lockers, my friends utterly confused by my actions. I tried to pretend I was a nonexistent human being. Instead, I'm a cactus plant except... brown.

"Aubrey! Look, it's them!" Mae was shaking my already quivering shoulders with glee, but I refuse to budge. I didn't want anyone from Namjoon's group to see me after witnessing such atrocity last week. I shake my head, hoping Mae would somehow get the picture and shield me from my impending doom, but nope! That definitely didn't happen.

"Hey guys!" God damn it, I've been outed! So instead of cowering away like I generally preferred I decided to face the unknown head on. I whirled around to see Namjoon surrounded by a few of his friends and some girls. They all carried this look of bewilderment and slight disinterest, like rich snobs interacting with peasants.

"Isn't that the girl who embarrassed herself yesterday?" The guy next to Namjoon whispers. They all seemed to be donned in name brand clothing with the leather, yet baggy clothing styles. As for the girls, and by my obvious guess, e-girls, they were staring at me as if I somehow disrespected their mere presence by my existence.

"Definitely."

One girl happened to capture my attention. I wasn't entirely sure why, but suppose it was the turquoise color of her bobbed cut hair, or maybe it's the thickened ink stretched across her thin eyelids to represent wings. Her face, pale and diamond shaped, glittered with artificial freckles and crimson blush stood out most notably to me. Her stickily figure held some form of defiance, rebellion, and with clothes of modernized Hot Topic: a dark band hoodie, frilly skirt, some fishnets stockings and ankle boots. The girl's frail arms clung to Namjoon as if he was her life support, her battery energizer, the remaining warmth to her otherwise cold skin.

I couldn't help but to feel a prickling sense of uncomfortability tingling on my skin. By the looks of it seems like she, too, held some form of detest towards me.

"Hey dudes." I wave frantically, forming a weak grin even when Namjoon and his friends stare at me with skeptism. "It's been a minute since I've seen ya, huh?" Hell, I really didn't know what I was saying. I mean, I'm trying to make some sense of logic in my unplanned actions! It would've been perfect if Mae didn't have to open her wide mouth. "Ya know, I've been trying to improve my skills. I'm getting better." I haven't. This seems to provoke a sense of interest as Namjoon wrapped a lacky arm around the turquoise haired girl and raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Did I humiliate you that much?" Namjoon's question made me frown.

"A little, but I'm back and ready to prove myself." I quickly retort.

"I'd doubt it." The girl's nasally voice took me by surprise. The deep frown etched on her face seemed to increase in disgust, "From what I heard you couldn't even make a decent trick. No need to prove yourself if you can't even hold your damned breath." Like she knows anything about me. I didn't realize I was scowling until Becky elbowed me in the ribs, laughing mindlessly.

"Puh-leaase. My girl been really working hard to make a name for herself." My friend stated as this is some obvious fact, "Just because she had a slip up previously doesn't mean she's terrible. Definitely better than cowering behind someone, am I right?" The e-girl's blue eyes widened in shock, as if Becky had somehow dissed her. Hell, even I couldn't contain my own surprise.

I can see Namjoon's full lips turning slightly upwards. His arms unfold and motions outwards, as if he's ready to witness something interesting. Namjoon nods his head in what seems to be approval, "Okay, sounds cool. Can't wait to see it, then." Wait, what? I couldn't help this sudden rush of fear gripping my muscles and twisting them in this nasty ball of nausea.

"O-okay, sure. Later." My hand was practically shaking when I watched Namjoon and his friends abandon the hallways. Once they disappeared within the crowds I whirled at Becky, beyond livid.

"Becky Walsh, did you literally made me challenge Kim Namjoon again?"

"Yup."

"Why?! You know the embarrassment that happened last Friday!"

Becky tilts her head, bemused. "And? Isn't this an opportunity of a lifetime to finally prove yourself to Kim Namjoon? Leader of the Bang Tang group! He's already popular as it is Aubrey. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, a potential to finally climb up the ranks and make a name for yourself." A pair of hands claw my shoulders, tight and firm as Becky's face zooms into mines, deadly serious. "Think about it Aubrey." She murmured, "A world where everyone can finally recognize you for you." It did sound tempting...- wait, that's not the point! I shake my head, feeling more distressed than needed to be.

"If Mae didn't put us on the spot then I wouldn't be worrying this in the first place!" I turned to hiss at the Chinese girl. Mae shrunk under my glowering glare, "What? They're pretty cool and I think it'll be great to hang out with them." She stated as if it's a massive achievement to gain. At this I found myself rolling my eyes and placing two hands on my hips, giving Mae an incredulous look.

"Mae, look, there are a lot of people that are much superior than us." I pointed out.

It's the truth because the high school food chain still exists like the loners, anime lovers, edgy goth kids, druggies, nerds, normals, theater kids and then there's the top percent of sports and rich kids. I pretty much fell under the normal category with spurts of art, edge and drug elements defining me. There's no way I'll be able to climb up the ranks with the top dogs unless I magically had over five thousand in my bank account and resembled the new Kylie Jenner of California.

Maybe for Mae and Becky, but certainly not for me. "Anyways, I gotta get going. Class is about to start soon." I moved past the girls as I tugged my jacket closer towards my frame.

My starting classes were always science related stuff.

Physics, chemistry, biology and astronomy. Throughout the hours of learning I usually zone out, eyes burning deep at the chalkboard while my mind was anywhere but present. Not trying to imply that I hated school because I most certainly don't. I enjoy a few subjects here and there, most notably being chemistry and astronomy and even art.

I like to create.

I like formations, creations, existence. I find interest in reasons behind existence itself and all the defined aspects of what makes the universe evolve. My mind doesn't entirely blank out during an average review of protons and neutrons and other chemically enhanced words. The teacher was busying away writing down terminologies to remember and recollect when presented new atomic structures.

Blond hair, shaped lips, almond eyes, clear skin and husky voice...

I blinked.

I got a crush.

It wasn't anticipated, really. It was a crush that steadily bloomed inside my chest that the chemical mixture between sodium bicarbonate and acetic acid couldn't measure to these eruptions of emotions and hormones I somehow feel. Whether it's his cursed, yet beautiful looks, or that deep pitched voice, it's obvious that Kim Namjoon gains traction throughout the whole school.

Damn it.

Whatever is the case, I just happened to be one out of the dozens- if not hundreds of girls- who can only dream of getting close to him. Not tryin' to go all creepo vibe here, but holy hell did he smell good. Like, I'm talking about the good kind of smell where the cologne is subtle but evident. Evident as in not in-your-face stank evident, but if you get close it'll just lure you in and I can take one of his shirts and bury my nose so deep in the fabric I can get high off the scent alone...- okay, maybe that does sound creepy. Maybe.

A tinge of cocoa. A mixture between earthy sandalwood and some anise.

What I'd do to get more of it.

Chemistry is probably the only subject I find myself actively participating in. Other science related subjects is nothing more than a total twilight zone where the fragility of my mind wanders to places where it shouldn't be wandering. Traveling outside the present reality and into the world of my subconscious. Harsh, sometimes cold, sometimes too intensely heated with images far inappropriate than

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter