The Thorns of The Past

Thorns and Roses

Junhyuk had the perfect life. He had a beautiful wife, three handsome sons, and a job that let him visit any country he had ever wanted to see practically. He was the Vice president of marketing for a fashion company, it wasn't a very big company yet but if he did his job right it would be. He hadn't thought that anything could possibly go wrong until one day he came home from a business trip to find some loan sharks ransacking their home. They were tagging things and taking them out of the house while the triplets were screaming from their room. Junhyuk ran in trying to find his wife but had no luck so he ran to the boys. He picked them up as best he could and left the house. He made his way to his half brother's and best friend's apartment to try to sort things out.

“Woah. I thought we agreed that my apartment was our baby free zone, Hyung?” Taehyun said as he opened the door for Junhyuk who was getting more and more frantic by the second.

“Have you seen Sooyoung? I can't find her anywhere! When I got home there were these guys taking everything out of the house and she was gone! She left the boys all alone!” Junhyuk's screaming garnered the attention of Moonkyu who had been in the kitchen.

“What do you mean she wasn't there? Why were people taking things out of the house? Are you moving?” Taehyun asked as Moonkyu came to join him in the living room.

“Can you please watch the boys for a couple of hours so I can figure this out?” Junhyuk said frantically.

“Of course we can. Call us if you need us though okay?” Moonkyu said taking Sungwoon from his arms and pushing San and Hojeong into the apartment more in their stroller.

Junhyuk thanked his friends and quickly went back to his house trying to figure out what was happening. When he entered the front door of the house he felt a rage boil inside of him that he had never felt before. The house had been completely cleared out from what he could see but in the middle of the living room sat his wife and four others he had never seen before. They were sitting around a cardboard box that had one lit candle on it. There were needles and a spoon and a mirror with a bit of white dust on it. They were all high.

“What the !? Sooyoung! What are you doing?!” Junhyuk yelled, finally drawing the attention of the junkies sitting on his living room floor.

“Shhhh! The babies are sleeping!” Sooyoung stage whispered and then laughed. Junhyuk looked his wife over and realized this was not the woman he married, no he had never seen her before. His rage skyrocketed then and there was nothing that could stop him at this point.

“The babies?! The babies are at Moonkyu's and Taehyun's place because you left them alone here with loan sharks so that you could go get drugs! What are you doing Sooyoung!? Do you not care about your family anymore?!” Junhyuk had moved to grab Sooyoung's wrists pulling her to stand in front of him and she simply rolled her eyes.

“What family? You mean you? And those terrors that destroyed my body?” Sooyoung laughed a humorless laugh and tried to pull her wrists free of Junhyuk but failing miserably. “I was beautiful! I had modeling offers before I got pregnant with those demons! I had to give up my life because of them! They made me hideous and what did you do?! You shot straight off to China! You left me with the monsters that made me this way and expected me to care for them! You didn't care about your disfigured wife or your monstrous spawn then did you!”

“You're still beautiful! What are you talking about disfigured!? I love you! I have always loved you and I couldn't help that I had to leave! I came back two weeks early and didn't even leave for another six months! Don't act like you've been all alone! I have done everything I could to make this easier on you!” Junhyuk's rage was now mixed with a hurt so deep he felt the wind get knocked out of him.

“YOU'RE JUST SO RIGHTEOUS AREN'T YOU!?” Sooyoung managed to pull away from him this time. “YOU RUINED ME! YOU SPOUT ALL THIS ABOUT LOVE BUT YOU DON'T LOVE ME! IF YOU DID YOU WOULDN'T HAVE MADE ME LIKE THIS!”

Junhyuk backed away from his wife. He had never believed this would have happened. He knew that she hadn't been the happiest when they found out she was pregnant and he had known that she was very proud of her looks but he had never thought she would be like this. Five years of marriage and four years of dating and he just now found out that he truly knew nothing about the woman standing in front of him.

“Get out,” The words were barely a whisper but Junhyuk's face set in a powerful glare. “You and your junkie friends get out of my house! Don't ever come back! How dare you put our sons at risk! You'll never have to worry about us again! You'll never see us again! GET OUT!”

With that Junhyuk watched his wife leave the house with the junkies that had been in his home. He scowled as he slammed the door before falling to his knees and weeping. The sound of his phone ringing had brought him back to his senses and after a brief talk with Taehyun he left the house to be with his sons. The divorce was finalized a couple of months later.



Aideen had a pretty rough life until she met Kris Wu. After being orphaned at a young age, she had bounced around to different foster homes until she finally landed in one in California that had decided to keep her. She was fourteen when she had moved into the house and while she wasn't necessarily loved, she wasn't treated badly either. She attended high school in a small town outside of LA and that was where she met Kris. He was her hero. Aideen always liked to tell the story of how he had saved her life, though it was really more like he had just saved her from a couple of broken bones. Aideen hadn't bothered to make friends at her school, figuring it was only a matter of time until she had to move again, and tended to spend her lunch time alone in the auditorium where she would dance. She had always loved to dance and it was her only outlet. One day while she had been practicing she had tripped and fallen off the stage. In a miraculous turn of events, Kris had been watching her dancing and ran to catch her before she landed roughly on the ground. They had been together ever since, given the two months it took her to say yes to him.

Kris had always been a hero so it was no surprise when he ended up signing up to join the military. Aideen stayed with him though, even knowing that they would be thousands of miles apart and wouldn't be able to talk to each other that often. He was her everything and she wouldn't let him go. Kris had proposed shortly after she finished school and later that year they were married. Aideen couldn't have asked for anything more from her life.

After two years of marriage though, the two were surprised with the best gift life had ever given them. They were pregnant. With Twins. Aideen had almost passed out at the thought of having to give birth to two babies but she was still ecstatic. Kris had been just as happy as her, he had always wanted two children and they had already accomplished that. He was the most caring husband during her pregnancy, always willing to wake up and get her the weird food she craved, even if they didn't have that in Japan where they were stationed, or rubbing her feet when they began to swell. He was a wonderfully devoted and caring husband.

During the end of Aideen's second trimester had been when they heard the news. Kris's unit was being deployed. Aideen held a brave face despite her fears and raging hormones and wished him a safe deployment. She refused to cry and Kris had always admired her strength. Before he headed to roll call for the morning of the deployment he hugged her tightly to him and whispered in her ear.

“I love you. Take care of the Sprouts for me and I'll be home soon,” Aideen smiled at his nickname for the twins before giving him one last kiss and with that Kris left her. She kept herself moving and doing things to distract herself. She really couldn't do too much though as her belly got bigger and bigger by the day. She taught at the school on base for as long as she was able to stand but unfortunately that wasn't too long.

Two months after Kris left, Aideen answered a knock at her door to find two uniformed soldiers there holding the dreaded letter, the letter that broke so many hearts. Kris had died saving two of his brothers in arms. He had died a hero and she should be proud. She was proud but that didn't stop her from resenting him just a bit when they buried his body six feet under, or when she had given birth to the twins.

Ailsa and Tait had been Aideen's saving grace though. The small baby boy and girl had completely changed how she viewed the world. She was now only focussed on giving them the absolute best that the world had to offer them and that meant she was staying in Japan. It took some doing but thanks to her background she found getting a job as a teacher to be simple though she was still having to stay near the base to have child care. Everything could have been much worse and that was the thought that kept a smile on Aideen's face. At least she had a piece of Kris in her babies.



It had been four and a half years since Junhyuk had divorced his wife. He had been forced out into the dating scene again by Taehyun who was 'sick of seeing him look so alone'. Junhyuk couldn't help but laugh at the thought of his brother's choices for him. All of the girls could have been clones for all their similarities. All of them were just like Sooyoung had been, only concerned with how they looked. While Junhyuk was glad to know that Taehyun, and even Moonkyu sometimes, were trying he always looked forward to his trips abroad. The trips meant no blind dates and maybe a couple of nights of peace and quiet, though he did always miss the triplets when he was gone. They had grown into some rather cutely rambunctious kids with the ability to smile their way out of any trouble that they got into. They were Junhyuk's whole heart now and he missed them desperately.

Junhyuk had made a trip to Tokyo to talk to some potential investors for his company and had been told to take a couple weeks to give himself a break. He hadn't really had one since the divorce and it was starting to take it's toll. So Junhyuk was wondering the crowded streets on a video call with Moonkyu when he wandered into a cute corner cafe near his hotel and ordered a drink before sitting in a booth.

“C'mon man! It's only one date. She's a great girl honestly,” Moonkyu was trying to convince him to go on a blind date again when he got back to Korea but Junhyuk kept trying to turn him down.

“I don't really want to wind up with ano-” Junhyuk's refusal was cut short when he spotted a head of vibrantly red curly hair attached to one of the prettiest faces he had ever seen. She was even prettier than Sooyoung had been.

Junhyuk watched as she walked in front of the window to where the was an older lady and a small child sitting on the sidewalk that were selling some vegetables. She kneeled down in front of them and soon was handed a bag of vegetables. When she stood from kneeling the older lady stood and bowed deeply before being pulled back up by the redhead who had a blinding smile on her face. She received a hug from the lady before walking away and heading into the cafe.

“Hey Earth to Junhyuk. What's going on man?” Junhyuk whipped his head around completely ignoring Moonkyu and watching the woman go up to the counter and order her drink before looking around the crowded cafe for a seat. “Well she sure is pretty.”

“Shut up Moonkyu,” Junhyuk said without even turning to look at his phone.

“Stop staring at her from afar like a little and talk to her,” Junhyuk turned to look at his friend's face on the phone.

“Okay. Bye,” With that Junhyuk ended the call and stood when the woman came closer.

You can sit here,” Junhyuk said wishing his English wasn't as bad as it was but it'd have to do in this situation.

Oh, thank you,” Junhyuk smiled as she sat across from him. She was just so pretty.

You from here?” Junhyuk cringed a bit at his own broken English and she simply smiled at him.

No, not really. I live in Okinawa. One of my friends made me take a vacation. Where are you from?” Junhyuk smiled at her and tried to process what she had said. He knew Okinawa was where she lived and that she wanted to know where he was from but he didn't understand the rest.

I from Korea,” Junhyuk answered as simply as he could but couldn't help feeling like his heart was sinking. They would never be anything because of this language barrier. He almost laughed at his thought though, it was stupid to think he'd be lucky enough to make anything out of this chance meeting.

“Then would you prefer to speak in Korean?” Her Korean was immaculate and Junhyuk almost fell out of his chair from shock.

“Wow your Korean is so good! Where did you learn?” The woman laughed a bit and Junhyuk felt his heart soar with her bell tone giggle.

“I studied Korean in University. I wasn't supposed to end up in Japan,” The woman laughed again. “I'm Aideen by the way.”

“Ah jeseongnida. I'm Junhyuk, nice to meet you,” The two shook hands and ended up staying in the cafe talking to each other until it closed. They talked about Aideen's career as a teacher and Junhyuk's job in the fashion company. They talked about their kids and even talked about their love lives. They laughed and even cried a few times but they couldn't seem to get enough of each other. They agreed to meet up the next day to talk more and had even exchanged contact information. They parted with a simple bow, even though with everything they had just talked about it seemed too formal.

The next week they ended up spending every day with each other and Junhyuk had even convinced her to apply for a teaching job in Korea. They were practically inseparable and when they had to leave Tokyo it was an emotional day. Aideen had ran into his arms the moment she saw him at the airport and hugged him tightly, she hadn't felt this way about anyone since Kris. She cried lightly into his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around her and ran his fingers through her hair. He didn't want to leave her, she was the kindest person he had ever met.

“Don't worry. We'll see each other in Korea soon,” Junhyuk said as he held her close. She nodded but couldn't stop her tears. He pulled her back so that he could look at her in her eyes. “Don't cry. You're so much warmer when you smile.”

Junhyuk couldn't believe it when he leaned in and kissed her. He wasn't a coward or anything but she made him so nervous that he couldn't think. What made it even more unbelievable was that she kissed him back. It was the best kiss that either of them had ever had in their lives but it was cut short when the announcement that his plane was boarding. He kissed her forehead before turning and going through the gate.

When Aideen got home she got the call that she had gotten the teaching position in Korea. She had danced for joy before calling Junhyuk and telling him the good news. The call was short but it was okay, they had a lot of preparing to do, the both of them. Aideen packed the kids up and was on her way two weeks later while Junhyuk had to prepare the triplets and their Uncles for her arrival. Neither one of them could have been happier.

When she finally arrived in Seoul, Aideen took Ailsa and Tait to see their new apartment. It was filled to the brim with boxes and boxes of all their things, making Aideen sigh. The now one year old twins let out a light cry and Aideen moved to pick them up but neither of them wanted to be held. They had just eaten and both had clean diapers so they must just have been upset about not being able to find their toys. Luckily it only took Aideen a couple of minutes to locate and unpack their box of toys in the living room where the babies began to play with each other after being let out of their stroller.

A knock at the door startled Aideen. She hadn't been expecting anyone, honestly she only knew Junhyuk and she hadn't even called him with her new address yet. She quickly opened the door and found two men standing in front of her with what looked like a plant.

“Annyeonghaseyo, we live across the hall and we heard we had a new neighbor so we came to welcome you. I'm Kim Moonkyu and this is No Taehyun. Nice to- Wait a second! You're Aideen!” Aideen's eyes widened, how the hell did this guy know her name?

“Aideen? I think hyung would have told us if his girlfriend was moving across the hall from us,” Taehyun said not bothering to look up from his phone.

“Ani! She's Aideen! Jinja! She looks just like the girl in the picture that Junhyuk showed us!” Moonkyu said rounding on Taehyun who finally pulled his eyes away from his phone and looked from Moonkyu to Aideen.

“Daebak! You are her!” Aideen continued to stare at the men for a moment considering whether or not to slam the door in their faces before she heard a familiar voice.

“Yah! Taehyunnie! If you stare at people like that you'll scare them!” Junhyuk came into view a couple moments later. “Jaeseongnida. These two can be a bit- Aideen!”

“Junhyuk!” Aideen didn't care about anything else that had happened now. She rushed out of the door and hugged Junhyuk tightly, slightly taking him by surprise. When Junhyuk finally registered what happened he hugged her back.

“How was your flight My Love?” Junhyuk smiled buring his nose into Aideen's auburn curls.

“It was okay. I missed you My Love,” Aideen said practically on the verge of tears.

Everything was finally turning up roses for Aideen and Junhyuk. Their lives were starting to fall into place.