Chapter 6

Expressions of Cooking/Interest

These few weeks of stressful exams had Taekwoon itching to cook but never finding the time on top of all the assignments and loose ends he had to tie up while also preparing for the exams themselves. The few Sundays leading up to exams, Taekwoon had to cancel the cafè from his schedule to everyone’s disappointment as well as his own for the fact that he wouldn’t be able to spend any time with Kihyun.

 

Kihyun on the other hand, had his plate full as Minhyuk was growing jealous of this other boy, Changkyun, as he and Jooheon were in the same classes and had a group project together. Thus, meaning Jooheon spent more time with Changkyun on their project, than with Minhyuk doing… what ever they did when they were together. Being the acting mother, and room mate, Kihyun spent his time, outside of exams, consoling him and reassuring him that Jooheon only loved Minhyuk and no one else.

 

Towards the end of exam period, Kihyun couldn’t take it anymore. He didn’t understand why Minhyuk would be so worked up over Jooheon doing his project with another boy when Jooheon would always hang out with Minhyuk after. He decided to meet this Changkyun and asked Minhyuk how he could do this and to his utter surprise, he found out that Minhyuk had never actually met the guy himself! He’d only heard that he was a transfer student from overseas somewhere and that he had girls and boys, of the like, swooning over his witty sense. Convinced that Minhyuk was just overreacting, he set out to find this Changkyun which was an easy task as he was with Jooheon, in one of the recording rooms downstairs that Taekwoon always used, saying the feel of the sounds come better from that room or something. That line of thought just made him think about Taekwoon. Thinking that he missed his light smiles and soft voice. That he couldn’t wait to get exam period over and done with so they could start up the café again. So they could hang out again.

 

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, he briskly knocked on the soundproof door. Then it occurred to him that they probably couldn’t hear from inside. So he slowly pushed open the door and was met with a pleasantly low voice rapping to just an acoustic guitar strumming soft chords in the background. The contrast of the gentle sound of the guitar and the strong, fast, baritone style rap was oddly fitting. The melody of the guitar seemed to wrap around the voice as if it was a layer of icing sugar dusting a dark chocolate chip muffin.

 

Kihyun stood there slightly mesmerised. Then the verse finished and the music paused and jumped, as if they were just checking certain parts of the song. The boy sitting at the sound desk, Changkyun, with his back to him had sandy brown hair and was clicking away at the screen after discussing something with the red head sitting beside him. 

 

Shooing the distinct thought that he didn’t know what to say and he had just come down on a whim, he cleared his throat and Jooheon turned to him, followed by Changkyun.

 

“Eomma! What are you doing here?” Jooheon jumped up and hugged Kihyun after not having seen him in weeks.

“Well, I have an upset roommate and what kind of a mother would I be if I didn’t help out? Apparently, you’ve been spending more time down here than with Minhyukkie.” he said, crossing his arms. 

At his boyfriend’s name, Jooheon’s smile turned regretful. “Yeah, I know. But I really want to get this project done and out of the way so I can then spend the full day with Minhyukkie hyung rather than just in little bits where he wouldn’t let me leave and I wouldn’t want to leave anyways.” His smile turned into a pout. Then he brightened up, “But we’re almost done! Changkyun’s an absolute gun at this stuff so hopefully by tomorrow I should be able to spend whole days with Minhyukkie hyung!” He turned back to look at the boy watching all of this. Said boy pulled a goofy smile when he said that then came to stand next to Jooheon looking at Kihyun.

“Well, since he’s not going to do it, Hi! I’m Changkyun. I’ve just transferred here from Boston about 2 months ago.” He held out his hand which Kihyun took and said

“Hi there. I’m Kihyun. I’ve heard some things about you from my friends in music (namely Taekwoon but he didn’t think that was necessary to mention). I’m a CG major.” Changkyun’s eyes flashed in recognition when he said his name, looking over to Jooheon who had a big smile on his face.

“Yes Changkyun-ah this is the hyung I was talking about. The one who is an amazing cook and makes delicious coffees on Sundays.” Then he fake-whispered to Changkyun, “Although now I think there is someone else who is better at cooking and coffee making than him.” And he rightfully received a smack to the back of his head.

“Yah! Of course he would be better than me he does cooking as a minor!”

“But you did cooking as a major before-“ Another smack and a pout.

Changkyun looked between the two and chuckled. “You guys are hilarious! I see why you’re the Eomma now.” 

And before Kihyun could smack someone he’d just met, Jooheon remembered, “Oh! Hyung! Do you want to hear our song? It’s basically finished we were just going over the final arrangements today.”

So the three huddled over to the desk, listening, with Kihyun complementing at times and Jooheon rapping along at other times.

 

When they had been through the song another five times, they decided it was perfect, then and there, and to call it quits. Changkyun saved the files as the other two packed up the room ready to leave. 

“Kihyun hyung, can’t you make us a coffee now? Pleaseee?” Jooheon whined and pouted hanging off of Kihyun.

The shorter one glared at him. “Why don’t you go play with Minhyukkie now?”

“But hyunggg, Minhyukkie hyung is still in class. It doesn’t finish for another half an hour.”

“Ugh fine.” he said, rolling his eyes. Jooheon smiled and pumped his fist. 

 

In the kitchen, the two younger boys sat at the counter while Kihyun went ahead and the machine waiting for it to heat up. Then grabbing the group head, he was about to put it under the grinder when he saw a flash of pink paper stuck inside the head. Curious, he dug out the piece of paper and carefully unfolded it. 

 

Hey Kihyunnie,

Hope you’re doing well and Minhyuk isn’t wearing you out too much (I heard about that). My last exam is on Thursday so I will be free by Sunday if you want to start the café again? 

I miss you 

Taekwoon :)

 

Smiling at the note like an idiot, he carefully folded the piece of paper again and tucked it in his pocket for safe keeping. Then, he started making those coffees, silently thanking them for demanding coffees so he could find this note, trying not to blush too hard at the last line.

I miss you. 

 

He pulled four shots and started on two mochas and two lattes.

Once he finished the mochas, he set them infront of the awaiting musicians who were busy chatting enough that they didn’t notice his blush or the fact that he disappeared after cleaning up the machine. 

 

Kihyun ran (sort of) up the stairs as fast as he could holding two cups of coffee. Up to the second floor and knocked on Taekwoon’s door with his foot. 

Thankfully, there were no exams on Tuesday afternoons (it was teacher rest days or something apparently) so when the door opened it was to a very surprised Taekwoon who accepted the coffee and left the door open for Kihyun to come in. Hakyeon and Wonshik were cuddled up on Hakyeon’s bed, watching a movie. They said a quick “Hi,” before turning back to their movie and quietly fanboying under the covers. 

 

Taekwoon sat back on his bed, patting the spot next to him for Kihyun to join. He pulled his laptop onto his lap and offered Kihyun an earbud.

 

There they sat for hours listening to Taekwoon’s compositions, giving opinions and just enjoying each other’s company in general. 


A/N: Sorry there wasn't too much Taekwoon and Kihyun moments in here but I hope you enjoy it anyways :D

Once again, thank you for reading and thank you to my three commenters! <33