Chapter 2

Expressions of Cooking/Interest

“So this dorm house and the two on the left are basically the Arts and Technologies dorm houses. The three to the right are where you find your geeks and nerds, the Maths and Science dorms. Then the ones across the street are your Engineering and Medical dorms. I think they had to have separate dorms because they had too many students in the courses.” They stood outside enjoying the evening air while Hakyeon introduced the campus. “There are shuttle buses that run from here to the other end of the university, but I personally don’t use them as my classes are just down the road there so I can just walk. Seeing as you’re in this dorm with me, I’m guessing you’re either a music major or a Technologies major?”
“Yea. Music major with a minor in cooking.” 
Hakyeon gave him a once over. “Whoa, Arts and Tech. I didn’t expect you to be a chef too. I’m a dance major as you could probably tell by the photos. Anyway, this is it, for the outside, let’s go inside.” 
 
“You’ve probably seen the living room on your way in before. It’s basically a common area where we can just chill and watch TV or play some games with friends. Then through the door at the back is the storeroom for large or shared items like the games or our suitcases. Down the left corridor is the study area where you can study in silence, it’s like our second library. There’s also a small range of Arts and Tech books in there.” This seemed cozier than the library in the central part of the university. It had bean bags as well.
“Next to that is a spare bathroom, trust me there are days when there’s a line for this one even though we have our own in our rooms. Down the other corridor, there are a few smaller, private recording/practice rooms for those in your course and a few larger ones for dancers. At the end is the kitchen. Now it’s a communal kitchen so don’t get too excited, there won’t be as much as you probably have back home. There are a few rules with the kitchen which are: label everything you don’t want anyone else to eat, store the food correctly although I doubt you would have any issues with that and lastly, just common practice, clean up after yourself.” It was a simple kitchen with the standard fridge, microwave, oven, toaster and stove top. Taekwoon went to scout it and found, hidden in a corner, a coffee machine and a grinder next to it. A sudden impulse ran through him, so he the machine, grabbed the group head and placed it under the grinder.
“ I thought you said this was a standard kitchen? I don't think standard kitchens have the full commercial coffee machines." Taekwoon chuckled.
"I totally forgot that was there. It's been a while since Kihyunnie was down here, so I think you're the first person to touch that after... about five months?" Taekwoon nodded in understanding, absentmindedly wondering who this Kihyun guy was.
"Do you want some coffee?” He asked before receiving an excited nod from Hakyeon claiming that he’s never watched the process before. He found a new pack of beans, poured an adequate amount into the grinder, pressed for a double shot and waited for the grinds. While waiting for the machine to warm up, he went to look for some milk and a milk jug which he found in the cupboard underneath the machine along with a thermometer. The milk was in the fridge, and he found some chocolate sauce too. 
 
Once the machine was warm enough, he tamped the grinds and locked the handle to the group head placing two cups underneath and pressed the button for the double shot. Then he frothed up the milk all the while Hakyeon was watching Taekwoon work the machine in awe. There was a glow about him that he hadn’t seen in the few hours he’s known him, and soon enough, the roasted flavour of coffee filled his senses and Hakyeon couldn’t recall the last time he’d had a barista made coffee and not one from a packet. 
 
Satisfied with the milk texture, Taekwoon set the jug down to add some chocolate sauce to one of the coffee cups, mixing it with a spoon he found, leaving the other with just the shot of coffee. Finally, he poured the milk and dusted it with some chocolate powder.
 
“Here’s your mocha. Enjoy.” He handed Hakyeon the cup and Hakyeon all but squealed as he pulled out his phone to snap a picture sending it to his boyfriend with an ‘Oh my gosh my new roomie is a barista and a chef!’ Lifting the cup to his lips, he took a cautious sip, and his eyes immediately went wide. 
Watching his reactions, Taekwoon was worried that Hakyeon didn’t like his coffee and that he was really badly out of touch with his coffee skills. 
 
“Wahhhhh!!! THIS IS THE BEST COFFE I’VE HAD IN FOREVER!! I thought you were just a cooking student? How did you learn to make amazing coffees too? Also, how did you know I liked mochas? Do they teach you how to read people’s minds as well?” Hakyeon was b with joy, probably from the shot of caffeine more than anything else. Taekwoon was enjoying his latte while watching Hakyeon run off questions miles per hour. 
“Stop talking and drink your mocha first, it’s going to get cold. Also yes I’m just a cooking student here, but I did Cooking in high school as well, and there, we learned how to make coffees, and we also ran a weekly café. And no we don’t get taught to read people’s minds, you just look like a mocha person.” Taekwoon finished off his latte and washed the cup and put it back on top of the machine. As he turned back to Hakyeon, there were two other boys standing next to him, one with pink hair and the other with shocking blue hair. The blue haired guy looked somewhat familiar, and that was confirmed when he put his arms around Hakyeon while taking a sip of the mocha. 
“Oh yeah. Guys this is Taekwoon, Taekwoon, this is Wonshik and Kihyun,” he said, pointing to the blue haired and pink haired males respectively. Wonshik saluted him while back hugging Hakyeon and Kihyun offered his hand. 
“Hey, nice to meet you,” said Kihyun. Taekwoon shook his hand and introduced himself. Subtle thoughts of how cute Kihyun was, were ignored in favour for listening in to the conversation. 
“Wonshikkie is also a music major, but he lives in the third dorm house, unfortunately,” Hakyeon continued with a pout. Wonshik just snuggled his nose into the crook of his neck. “And Kihyun was a cooking major, but for some unknown reason he changed to computer graphics.” He fake-whispered that last part only to receive a glare from the usually smiley Kihyun. 
“Okay that’s enough you two get a room. I do not want to be present when you two start making out. Please, spare the lonely heart.” Kihyun said dramatically with a roll of his eyes. Taekwoon actually couldn’t agree more, he’d only ever had a few serious relationships, and each time, he’d had his heart broken eventually. 
Giggling like a teenage girl, Hakyeon lead Wonshik away yelling back at them, “Sure thing! Taekwoon I’m using our room so… yeah just be warned!” and he ran up the stairs with Wonshik chasing after.
 
While Taekwoon was feeling slightly awkward staring at the spot Hakyeon and Wonshik had vacated, Kihyun turned to him and naturally started a conversation.
“Don’t mind them, they’re always like that. Also yeah, I don’t recommend you go to your room for at least an hour.” he chuckled, turning to face Taekwoon. “Sometimes it feels like Hakyeon is my dongsaeng.” 
“Yeah, I can see that. He reminds me of my friend Jaehwan, he’s like an overgrown little kid, always so hyper.” Taekwoon took the empty mocha cup and washed it. “So I’m guessing you’re younger than Hakyeon?” Kihyun nodded. “Then you’re younger than me too. Hakyeon and I are the same age.” 
“Taekwoon hyung! Haha, I take it you’re also a music major based on what Hakyeon was saying before? I’m a CG major as he said with a minor in music and I live in this house on the third floor.” Kihyun grabbed the group handle and emptied it. He put it under the grinder and started making himself a coffee while he and Taekwoon casually conversed.
 
At one point, two guys walked into the kitchen, one with red hair and one with blonde hair. No one around here seemed to have normal hair colour. Taekwoon guessed that’s what you would expect with Arts and Tech major students. They saw Kihyun at the coffee machine and yelled, “Eomma!! Can you make us a coffee too?! I haven’t seen you in here since you changed courses!” Taekwoon and Kihyun both winced visibly at the loud voices before Kihyun turned to them.
“Yah! Minhyuk-ah I haven’t even seen you in two weeks, and you’re my roommate!” he yelled back to the blonde one. Taekwoon eyed the exchange feeling like he was watching his family back home. Then the blonde one realised he was standing there and ran around the counter to stand in front of him. 
“Hi there! You must be new here! I’m Minhyuk, and that’s Jooheonie over there.” Minhyuk was like another over-excited beagle. Taekwoon shook his hand.
“I’m Taekwoon and yeah I’ve just moved in today.” Suddenly his smile faded and he looked between Taekwoon and Kihyun. Then his mouth gaped and he jumped to Kihyun. “Nooooo! Kihyunie did you kick me out because I’m never there? Noo Kihyun Omma you can’t throw me out Jooheon already has a roommate!! Where am I to go? Waahhhh!” he was on the verge of dramatically tearing up and the three of them were staring at him wondering what he was going on about. 
“Hold up, slow down Minhyukkie what are you talking about? I didn’t throw you out who said anything about that?” 
Minhyuk’s tears slowed, “Wha-what? I thought *sniff* I thought Taekwoon was your new roommate as he *sob* just moved in today and you just *sniff* yelled at me for not being in our room for two weeks.” That explains it.
“Oh no no. Taekwoon hyung is Hakyeon hyung’s new roommate. Why would you think that I would kick you out? I would never do that Minhyukkie. Besides, I don’t think I’d be allowed to do that. The school might kick me out instead if I did.” he joked. 
 
Jooheon was laughing as he came around the counter to shake Taekwoon’s hand. 
“Heya I’m Jooheon. I’m majoring in music and a minor in dance. And don’t worry too much about Minhyukkie hyung, he’s just a tad overdramatic. He majors in art and minors in dance too, but sometimes we tell him he should have done drama instead.” They both chuckled at that. “Also I’m glad you were able to drag Kihyunie hyung back into the kitchen! This kitchen has sort of become a ‘Kihyun Zone’ and no one would come in here for more than the fridge, microwave or kettle, even though he hasn’t been in here for a couple of months. Frankly, though, I think Kihyun is the only one who knows how to cook more than just instant noodles in this entire dorm house.” 
Minhyuk then swatted him in the back of the head saying, “Hey I can cook eggs too!” 
With Jooheon replying, “Yeah sure hyung,” dodging another smack. “Also hey Kihyun hyung are you going to make us a coffee?” 
The pink haired male just rolled his eyes and said, “Fine. Two cappuccinos coming up.” While he prepared the grinds, Taekwoon went to grab the milk from the fridge and started frothing it up. 
 
When the two cups were placed in front of them, they thanked Kihyun and Taekwoon saying they missed this taste and that they would make a great team if they ever decided to work the café together. Taekwoon and Kihyun just looked at each other and shrugged saying they wouldn’t mind that idea at all.


A/N: As promised here is Chapter 2! :D Hope it was enjoyable!

Thanks for reading! Again, comments are lovely <33

Next chappie will be short again sorry! xx