Cereal Killer

Hired Babysitter

 

Krystal could not take it anymore. It was as if the roof from her room is going to drop down and crush her anytime. She needed this time to sleep. She just finished a photoshoot and immediately went to her bed. She picked up her phone and saw that it was 2:12 AM. That exact. She decided that she would just let this slide. No need to get grumpy at the person living upstairs.

No. Just no. The TV from upstairs blasted to the max. That’s it. She quickly got up and stormed to the fire exit. Good thing she had not changed to comfortable clothes yet. Her black jeans and striped button down shirt would do. In her anger, she even forgot that she was only wearing her siberian husky slippers. Myungsoo would definitely get it this time.

Although they have been friends ever since their first photoshoot together for some school uniforms, they were never really that close. Even after the drama they did together, they were not what you could call close friends. More than acquaintances, but less than close friends, just friends. Yeah, it would be the first time that Krystal would knock on his door. It actually surprised them to know that they live in the same apartment complex.

Let’s take a few moments to imagine the building they are in. It is a 25-storey building. The first 20 are the small apartment types, having 10 rooms per floor. While the 5 floors at the top are for the specially rich people who would own a whole floor for themselves. Myungsoo owns the topmost floor. When Krystal was looking for apartments, she fell in love with it already. Sadly, the owner of the building was said to be keeping it for his nephew. Turns out it was Myungsoo. Anyway, she still likes her own floor. Very spacious seeing that she is the only one who lives here, except if her family would like to cone over.

Back to Krystal who is currently trudging up the stairs. She would have to knock on his door. The other way would be to use the elevator to directly go inside. She does not have that privelege.

As she neared the door, the noise doubled up. She would have to do this fast. She quickly knocked on the door, each one louder than the other. After a few tries, the door finally opened to a Myungsoo looking tired as ever and wearing shorts and a plain grey shirt.

“Soojung!” He was surprised to see her and at the same time, shocked as well. “What are you doing here? Can I help you with anything?” Krystal wants to roll her eyes. How can she get mad at this person who is even after being tired would still be polite. Change of plans. Ask him kindly.

“Myungsoo oppa, I know it’s late, already early in the morning and would hate to bother you, but as I said, it’s late and it’s hard to sleep with all the noise that you are making.”

Myungsoo looked shy, “Oh that! I’m sorry you’re not getting sleep, but it’s not me.” Krystal’s eyebrow rose. Myungsoo quickly added, “I meant, clearly it’s coming from the room, but it’s my younger brother doing all those things.”

And as if on cue, a boy, maybe 5 years old, ran up to Myungsoo. “Hyung!!! I’m hungry!” Myungsoo silently pointed to the kid stuck to his leg. “This is what’s preventing us from getting sleep.” He knelt down to meet the kid in eye level. “Mansae-ah, what did I tell you about making a lot if noise?”

“But, I need you to wake up. I thought if the room was noisy you would wake up. You do that all the time. I’m really hungry.” Mansae answered Myungsoo. Krystal could only look at what is happening in front of her. It's as if there are two Myungsoos, a 25-year old and a younger copy of him.

“Okay, but first I need you to turn off the TV. Now.” The stern look in Myungsoo’s eyes made Mansae run to the TV remote and turn it off. He quickly dashed back to the door. “There, I turned it off already, can we eat?”

“I don’t think so. I was not the only one you woke up. You also woke up noona. You have to apologize.” Myungsoo pointed to Krystal. “I also woke up pretty noona?” Krystal was taken aback with the ‘pretty noona’ but what followed almost made her legs turn to jelly. “Yes, you woke up pretty noona. She needs to sleep to stay pretty.”

Mansae quickly ran to Krystal and hugged her legs, “ I’m sorry pretty noona. I’m sorry I woke you up.” Mansae was still not letting go of Krystal’s leg so she bent down to pat his head. “It’s okay, Mansae-ah, I was not asleep yet. So you didn’t wake me up.” Krystal smiled at him. Mansae turned to Myungsoo, “But hyung said that you would not be pretty anymore if you don’t sleep. So please sleep, pretty noona.”

Myungsoo was cherishing the fact that Mansae forgot even for a few moments about his hunger. That kid could totally eat. “Okay, now let go of pretty noona so she could sleep.” Myungsoo smiled at Krystal because the red in her cheeks could definitely be seen. After Mansae let go of Krystal, “Hyung, let’s eat cereal! With lots of milk!” Myungsoo groaned, “I thought you forgot already. But I don’t have cereal here.” Myungsoo could already see the tears forming in Mansae’s eyes. For a kid, food is everything. Take food out and they won’t know what to live for anymore. At least that’s Mansae’s case. “Hyung does not have anywhere to buy cereal right now, let’s wait till morning?” And with that Mansae cried and cried.

Krystal does know if it was because the cries of Mansae is worse than the TV eruption or just that she could not stand seeing a mini-Myungsoo cry. “Mansae-ah, I have cereal in my house, do you want to try it?” Krystal tried to lighten up Mansae. “Really? Pretty Noona has cereal? Hyung! Let’s go to her house!” Mansae was already dragging Myungsoo. “Mansae, stop.Soojung-ah, I’m sorry for bothering you, but you could leave Mansae to me. He won’t stop pestering you now that he knows you have cereal.” Myungsoo was standing his ground.

“No, it’s really okay. I have lots there. This company was trying to get me to model for them so they sent boxes full of it.” Krystal smiled at the two boys.

“See? Pretty Noona! Let’s go to your house!” Mansae grabbed on to Krystal.

“Soojung-ah, I know it’s late, but…” even before Myungsoo could finish, Krystal spoke up and began walking towards the elevator. “It’s really okay Oppa. I’m awake now anyway.” Myungsoo could only follow the hyper active kid and the reddening pretty noona to the elevator.