The Fourth Bell

Bells of Paradise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A heavy silence blanketed the three people sitting in the waiting room. Kwangmin was sitting with his head down, staring at this shoes while twiddling with his thumbs. Youngmin was sitting in a similar position, but his hands played with his phone, trying to decide if he should text Minwoo now or later. Their mother was sitting between them, phone in her hands as she waited for the doctor to invite them into the examining room.

Their father had not picked up when their mother called him five minutes ago. Their mother deduced that he must be in a meeting and left him a voicemail. She figured he would call her back when he got out of his meeting.

Unable to keep to himself anymore, Youngmin unlocked his phone and opened his past messages with Minwoo. He typed up a new one and hit send. Minwoo replied seconds later.

To: Minnie
I’m at the doctor’s right now.
4:38 PM

From: Minnie
Why?
4.38 PM

“Jo Kwangmin?”

The Jo family started when they heard a gentle voice call Kwangmin’s name. A tall, handsome doctor stood at the entrance to the waiting room, clipboard in hand. The twins’ mother stood up, offering the doctor a small smile. The doctor returned the gesture and led the three of them into an examining room.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Dr. Shim Hyunseong. Which one of you is Kwangmin?” The doctor asked kindly. Kwangmin shyly raised his hand as he stepped forward.

“Alright. Please have a seat here.” The doctor tapped the soft chair meant for patients, and Kwangmin obediently walked over to sit on it, crinkling the sheet of paper that was laid out on the leather. Youngmin and the twins’ mother sat on the plastic chairs placed against the wall.

Hyunseong took a seat in front of the computer. “So Kwangmin-sshi has been coughing up blood?” He glanced at the family members for confirmation.

“Yes.” Kwangmin’s quiet voice cut through the quiet before his mother could answer. Hyunseong’s kind gaze flickered over to the fidgeting twin, and he offered a reassuring smile. Kwangmin returned the smile weakly before his eyes dropped to his lap.

“You’ve never coughed up blood before, have you?” Hyunseong took a pen and sheet of paper and started jotting down notes. Kwangmin answered the question with a soft ‘no.’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter