Sands, Smiles, and Kisses

Hormones' Hoax
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Saturday

 

“When you said it was going to be a private beach party, we didn’t quite get the part where we’re in a completely deserted island.” Tzuyu said after getting off the Myoui’s yacht.

 

“Really? I thought I made it clear?” Mina said then grabbed Chaeyoung’s helping hand.

 

“This is awesome.” Chaeyoung beamed.

 

Dahyun and Sana simultaneously stepped towards the exit, filling the air with more awkwardness, Dahyun gestured Sana to go down first. After a few persuasion and some trick talks about a food buffet and, dozens and dozens of dessert, Mina finally convinced Dahyun to come. She and Chaeyoung were clueless about the heat amidst the three.

 

“Mom’s waiting in the cottage.” The whole birthday bash was actually for Mrs. Myoui’s sake to meet Son Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeng nodded at Mina, fully aware that their hands were still intertwined. A surge of warmth crept in her cheeks. Mina’s hand fitted well to hers and it made Chaeyoung bite her lip to stifle a huge grin. They walked in minimal difficulty on the white sands, smiling ever so often when their eyes meet.

 

“You should’ve warned me about the whole yacht thing.” Dahyun, all blue on the face, groaned. She staggered every time her stomach churns, occasionally running towards a tree to throw up behind it. The ocean waves never delighted her.

 

“What, you expected we’d take a cab?” Sana shot, forcing Dahyun to face her and scoff. She was with Tzuyu. Her expression abruptly turned into a scowl.

 

“We’re here.” Mina stated, letting go of Chaeng’s hand to jog towards the grandeur of a cottage.

 

Dahyun whistled beside Chaeyoung, “Mina sure likes to joke around her riches. If this is small to her, I don’t even know how she’ll call my teensy weensy apartment.”

 

The cottage felt more like a summer house with huge verandas facing the waters. Even Chaeyoung was awed by how the building turned out to be. It was a seamless weekend getaway.

 

“You could fit a huge whale on that wide porch.” Dahyun wondered, “But that’ll be weird though.”

 

Chaeyoung just shook her head and headed to the house, Tzuyu and Sana trailing behind her. Dahyun decided to take a small walk on the shores to calm her veins and breathe some fresh air from the whole cavalry.

 

“You must be the famous Son Chaeyoung,” Mama Myoui extended her arms and enveloped Chaeng into a bear hug, “My, my, my, what a cute little bean.”

 

Chaeyoung muttered a small thank you and scratched the back of her head. Mina’s mom was very welcoming; it was easy to open up some conversations with her. After the short introduction was done, they helped themselves with light snacks cooked by Mina’s mom herself.

 

“Sweetie, I thought you and Sana brought three friends? You’re missing one.” Mama Myoui mentioned while they were already tidying up the table. Due to exhaustion, they might’ve let Dahyun slip off their minds.

 

“She’s not going to be pleased by this.” Chaeyoung spoke their thoughts. And as if a cue, Dahyun arrived at the scene of betrayal, all covered with sand.

 

“I can explain with the sand but what kind of explanation can you all give me with the empty plates?” Dahyun glared at them one by one, arriving lastly at Mrs. Myoui’s, making her soften her look, “Hi there, Mrs. M! I’m Kim Dahyun, I actually look prettier and smarter if you wash the sand off me.”

 

“Ah, well, let’s get you something to eat. I’ll prepare some snacks for you.” Mama Myoui disappeared into the house, followed by Sana.

 

“How about a brief walk?” Mina asked.

 

“I’d love to, honey, but no one will watch the children.” Dahyun inserted while coolly opening a newspaper, earning her a grimace from everyone.

 

“I was talking to Chaeng.”

 

 

Despite the heat and the palpable silence between them, Mina and Chaeyoung strode on the sands with nothing but mere smiles on their faces. They were both wearing comfortable sleeveless, making the sun’s vibrant rays bearable. It wasn’t like it affected them, known to the fact that they were mindless of what was happening around. They strolled round and round, enjoying each other’s random smiles and hums of songs, lifting the atmosphere higher than main vocalists’ adlibs could offer. Getting conscious with the long time that someone uttered a word, Mina gestured that they sit under one of the wide, typical, multicolored beach umbrellas, relieving them of their silent ambience. Chaeyoung was kind enough to sacrifice her small towel for them to sit on.

 

“About time you ask me some questions.” Mina sat first, wiping some sand off her legs and feet.

 

“Uh, yeah. I guess.” Chaeng sat beside her. Their position offered another surge of zapping and tingling sensations in the depths of Chaeng’s heart, making her whole body stiff. They were sitting in a small square, thanks to Chaeng’s face towel.

 

Their uncovered shoulders were brushing against each other that with even the slightest movement, made the cub anxious about the huge probability that her skin was on the peak of stickiness by now. She wanted to move away but Mina seemed to be enjoying it since she’s been glancing at her often. Either that or she’s appalled by my sweat.

 

“So, uhm,” Chaeng thought for a bit, judging from the expectant look she got from her, she should ask something, “How’s your childhood?”

 

“I would want to say it was perfect but you weren’t there, so, it pretty much lacked.” Mina grinned playfully at Chaeng and let out a chuckle when the latter knitted her eyebrows out of confusion, “It was nice, I guess, my parents gave me everything I asked for.”

 

Chaeyoung’s mouth formed an o shape and nodded at Mina’s answer, like those display dogs found inside cars, untiringly bobbing their heads, “Don’t you miss Japan?”

 

“I do. But I learned to love Korea because of a certain…” Mina tilted her head, peeking at Chaeyoung’s face that rested on top of her knees, “factor.”

 

Chaeyoung faced Mina and looked her in the eye for a couple of seconds, the latter, realizing she might have something important to say, leaned a bit but still having that safe distance where the cub won’t be too overwhelmed and act all shy again.

 

“What is that factor?” Chaeyoung asked with a straight up face and a tone of serious curiousness. No sarcasm found.

 

Mina’s shoulders trembled upon trying to suppress the laugh that ached to escape her lips. She covered and closed her eyes on the process, her face beet red, not because of the heat, but because of the struggle not to roll around laughing out loud at Chaeyoung’s ineptness of reading between the lines. The shorter of the two looked at the struggling penguin with nothing but wonderment. She was even more confused when Mina gave up masking her hilarity and lied down on the sand, laughing her heart out while clutching her stomach.

 

“I don’t get it.” Chaeng, yet again, proves her density. Mina wiped the tears on the sides of her eyes and sat back up.

 

“I know.”  Mina said with a sweet smile, “Let’s just say that I’m glad I’m here with you.”

 

Chaeyoung bowed her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter