Figures of Speech

Hormones' Hoax
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Family or Love?

 

Torn between the two, Dahyun was far from resolve. Another day has passed, and in that whole twenty four hours of thinking, contemplating, there was none that came as close to an answer or of help, or of just a ray of light to guide her through the depths. Dahyun sat on the foot of the bed, sleepless, because every time she closes her eyes, she sees Sana with her, that beautiful smile plastered on her face, but when she turns her head, she sees Tzuyu with the entire ache of her heart obviously painted on the surface of her radiant beauty. And again, for so many times, Dahyun falters into the pitfall. She has both hands but who does she embrace? The woman she hoped to see every waking hour for the rest of her life, or the friend she knows and treasures, and will forever stick by her side? Both, family and love, are what she longed for her entire life but how come she only gets to have one?

 

“You need to talk to her.”

 

Dahyun was too preoccupied that she didn’t notice Nayeon has been leaning against the doorframe for quite some time.

 

“And tell her what? That I’d find her someone else? That there might be another Sana out there for her?” Dahyun’s eyes displayed an awful amount of tiredness.

 

Nayeon sighed and went to sit beside her, “You two are best friends, why would you think she won’t understand?”

 

“That’s the point! Now, isn’t it?” Dahyun stood up and faced the ceiling. Her breaths started to hitch; it was getting harder to comprehend the situation, “She’s my best friend! The closest thing I have for a family! And even just imagining hurting her and her tall hiding her pain to herself makes me want to bang my head against the concrete! Do you know how much she’s done for me? For how many times she’s been there for me?” She paused to look at Nayeon, wanting to make the gist as obvious as she can, “And yet here I am! Strutting my ungrateful without knowing she’s breaking! Even just for once, I want to do something for her but it’s…” She gritted her teeth and shut her eyes, the sound of the shattering of her heart echoed, “I’m useless…”

 

Dahyun’s voice weakened as if par with the sudden dim of the outskirts. Rain was coming through and, without a bit of consideration, wiped the sunshine off the town. If only fate was as predictable as the weather, Dahyun could use even a minute of a bright, cloudless sky with no signs of thunderstorms or whatsoever. Nayeon immediately stood up and trapped Dahyun in her arms. She can’t begin to conceive how hard and cruel everything was for Dahyun. Just like Chaeyoung, she knew and saw how horrid the monsters of her past were.

 

 

Without Dahyun, the sarcastic glitch, for two days, the atmosphere in the four walls plummeted down. Everyone was so expectant of Dahyun’s own kind of happy virus that the sudden absence of the carrier affected their own lifestyle of some sort, especially those who were close to her. It’s not like they gave up finding but it’s more like giving Dahyun the time and space that she needed. They knew she was in Nayeon’s apartment; it was rather likely.

 

“I really miss her.” Sana said out of the blue. She leaned her head on Tzuyu’s shoulder and a massive amount of electricity surged in her veins, making her paralyzed and, at the very same time, morbidly pained. Enjoying the warmth was a sin she needs to atone ASAP.

 

“I think we all do.” Chaeng sighed, “I feel pathetic not knowing what’s happening with her.”

 

Tzuyu stood up so suddenly that her shoulder bumped Sana’s cheek, “What’s wrong, Tzuyu? You don’t look good.”

 

Everyone was getting worried and Dahyun was feeling all the unnecessary pain because of her stupid attraction towards Sana. The guilt was eating her alive but what should she say upon seeing her friend’s soulless eyes? And to think that she was the one that have caused all of this? Never in Tzuyu’s life has she ever felt so scared; seeing that one person who was never reluctant to make her happy despite the savageness and uptightness she regularly breathes. What if Dahyun came to hate her? What if Dahyun wants their friendship done? The crumpled paper suddenly weighed 15 tons in her pocket. She has to tell her the truth; she deserves to know. But what if, after all this, their friendship would never be the same anymore?

 

“Tzuyu, are you okay?” Sana held her shoulder and looked her in the eyes.

 

“I’m really sorry, Sana.” Tzuyu removed Sana’s hand and exited the room in a fast pace. The rest of her friends looked at each other with a confused expression.

 

 

Tzuyu stood at the front of the door for a few minutes, staring with wide eyes at the pastel color Nayeon would obviously pick. She was clenching her sweaty hands on her sides and murmured relaxing thoughts to herself which, with the uproar of her heart in her ribcage, were of no use. Her lips were already dry when she lifted her trembling hand to at least try and ring the doorbell or knock, she was so nervous that she got confused whichever of the two will she do. She muttered a curse under her breath and as if a password, the door opened.

 

“You’ve been standing there for a full twenty minutes looking like one of those lucky charm cats in a Chinese emporium.”

 

It sounded like a joke but Dahyun said it with such a dull face that Tzuyu’s heart, along with her soul, were crushed like an orange pulp. Dahyun’s eyes wavered and never even attempted to have eye contact with Tzuyu, she breathed a heavy sigh and turned her back to walk inside with slumped shoulders. Tzuyu, on the other hand, stood frozen on the door step, the weight of the world aching on her back. She reached inside her pocket and started to hesitate whether this was a good idea, whether she was ready to see Dahyun with the saddest expression, an emotion that would never fit her.

 

“Well?” Dahyun called out from the living room. It sounded like a whisper but just enough to fill the tall glass with guilt once again.

 

Tzuyu took out the letter and handed it to Dahyun, “I wrote this for you. It has everything; the why and how.”

 

Dahyun looked at her for the very first time and her face was far from readable, “Read it for me.”

 

“Wh-what?” A mixture of shock and grimace twisted Tzuyu’s face.

 

“I honestly don’t want to read it but… I guess hearing it from you rather than reading it alone is more reasonable.”

 

Tzuyu, even with the level of heaviness of the atmosphere, wished it was one of Dahyun’s incorrigible jokes; she hoped Dahyun would eventually realize how awkward it would be for both of them. They weren’t really the type of friends who goes deep with their conversations and this was a first dig to a sensitive topic.

 

“I-I don’t think… I co-couldn’t.” The stuttering was something new to both of their ears; an embedded truth that none of this was easy for any of the two.

 

“Just turn your back on me and read it. I want to hear everything from you; with your voice.” It was soft, the way Dahyun said. Unbelievably, it sounded like how the mothers would coax their children to sleep. And it made Tzuyu tear up. Dahyun was too nice and her heart was golden, she never deserved any of the pain.

 

“Okay.” Tzuyu turned her back and took in all the breath she could to calm her nerves and prevent her tears to fl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter