Signal

Hormones' Hoax
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few sun rise and sun set after the party, the wary glances and nervous laughs didn’t go unnoticed. Suspicion lingered in her mind, but she was careful; she didn’t let her doubts get the best of her and cloud her thoughts.

 

 

It was another normal day under the bright, I want to say sun, but, they were inside the classroom, so the proper words would be- it was another normal day under the bright and shiny forehead and chin of Park Jinyoung. A discussion about an educational trip of the seniors to the national museum was happening per se.

 

“I don’t get it why we’ll have to vote for team leaders. It’s not like we’re going there for an amazing race, for God’s sake, we’ll end up looking like a herd of cows following where the loudest moo will come from.” Dahyun leaned on her side to whisper to Chaeyoung.

 

And as if having an antenna for trouble, Park Jinyoung snapped his head towards the whispering individual, “I’m sorry, but it seems like Ms. Kim has a brilliant suggestion to share.”

 

Dahyun straightened her back and held her chin, unaffected by the sudden turn of attention to her, “I’d say we think green and bag the museum. Let’s live a healthy life by participating on that fun run for the mangroves. You look like you could use a few meters of jogging, Sir.”

 

The homeroom teacher scowled but sighed in the end. He did still have the holiday weight in him; he’d totally jump in that idea, but the trip was requested by the dean himself and it was mandatory, “That will be the last time you call me fat, Kim.” He glared at her before continuing, “I’m sad to say but the museum trip this Friday is unpostponable and compulsory.”

 

With that ruining the students’ morning, Park Jinyoung exited the room signaling the end of his period.

 

“I’m supposed to ask you to come and fetch my parents at the airport at that date.” Sana sighed as she sat on Dahyun’s desk.

 

“Well, that’s a pooper. I could always threaten the dean, if you want.” Dahyun said after getting a hold of Sana’s hand and drew an arrow-pierced heart right on her pulse point.

 

She shook her head in a cute way, “It’s okay. We’ll just have dinner with them the following night.”

 

“Wait,” Dahyun raised an index finger and threw a baffled look, “You were serious?”

 

Sana nodded, “You think I was joking?”

 

They had a staring game before Sana finally gave in to a laugh when Dahyun moved her nostrils, “I’m glad you’re okay now.”

 

Dahyun looked at her again with confusion on her face. She cocked up an eyebrow, “What do you mean? I was sick and was unaware that I was?”

 

“You seemed… off for a couple of days; almost with a blank face every now and then.” Sana bit her bottom lip due to concern.

 

The fact that she noticed all that was rather impressing since neither her two best friends opened up about it. Dahyun smiled brightly at the ethereal being sitting in front of her. She was lucky to have Sana and she’ll do everything to continue being by her side, she wishes so.

 

But there it was again. Dahyun had to put up the best of her acting skills to maintain the happy grin while trying to avoid the multiple stabs that tormented her heart. She had to cough loudly to catch up with the irregular breaths that were caused by a resurfacing childhood illness. She ducked down just enough to not let Sana see her multi-blinks in a second and her face-twisting winces. The bell rang and it saved Dahyun from laying an uncertain explanation. She clutched her chest and steadied her breath with her eyes closed. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead. It was fortunate that Sana was called by Mina before she audibly breathed through .

 

“Hey,” Chaeyoung gently rubbed Dahyun’s back after seeing her fast breaths through the rise and fall of her shoulders, “What’s wrong? Is it back?”

 

“No! No. I’m fine, just a minor setback.” Dahyun said with a hoarse voice while wiping her sweats on her sleeve.

 

Chaeyoung was not convinced. She’s seen Dahyun like this back then every time her parents did something unbearably heart-wrecking in front of their child’s eyes. A kid of an early age running away in the middle of the night to face her demons alone, that was recurrent to her. Her anxiety and panic attacks, were those haunting her again? Chaeyoung won’t let that happen.

 

 

They were on their last period for the day and with every tick of the clock, Chaeyoung’s eyes never left Dahyun. She was resting her chin on her palm and was staring blankly outside the window. Chaeng knew something was up. Is it her parents again?

 

“Stop it, small creature. I already have enough creepy stalkers. Quit spying on me.” Dahyun said without tearing her eyes off the scene from the window. There was a soccer practice of the narcissistic, hoping-they-get-to-be-kicked-on-the-crotch-hard players, as what Dahyun calls them.

 

“Tell me, then.” The seriousness and concern on Chaeyoung’s voice was more obvious than the teacher’s moist armpits because of excessive sweating. His wardrobe was a major no-no to his sweaty condition.

 

“I told you, it’s nothing. I just remembered something unpleasant.”Dahyun pursed her lips to from a smile, “And who would want to see the Professor’s own two versions of the Niagra falls on his armpits?”

 

Chaeng chuckled and, somehow, felt relief after hearing nonsense of a remark from her best friend.

 

Just a few moments later, another concerned persona consulted but via another party, “Is she okay? Tzuyu asked, after a soft poke on Chaeng’s admirable shoulder.

 

“I guess? She must’ve remembered a fragment from her past.” A sigh escaped Chaeng’s lips.

 

The tall figure nodded and took a final glance at Dahyun before resuming her doodling.

 

 

“I think I forgot my hankie in our room.” Sana mentioned. They were on their way out of the gates, “I’ll be back.”

 

Dahyun stopped her by her wrist, “I’ll get it. Wait for me here.”

 

The hallway to their classroom was still a little bit of a bustle since after period sessions were on going. Students auditioning for the drama club loitered in front of their room because the president’s class was just across theirs. Dahyun did a quick hi-hello to some past flings and avoided the clingy ones. She reached the room and entered through the door at the back. She saw Tzuyu with her back on her, writing something while listening to music. Dahyun was about to surprise her, not until she saw a glimpse of what was neatly written on the piece of paper Tzuyu had. Her vision blurred, her heartbeat fastened, her breaths were getting heavier, and her knees turned to jelly. She was right all along. All those signals that, only God knows, she tried to dismiss from her thoughts were true. Dahyun wanted to question how all of these happened but it was void; she saw and felt it all these times but she chose to neglect it. She has to face this alone.

 

Dahyun carefully backed off but it was hard with her seeing dark circles on her vision and her sudden lack of oxygen. Just a little bit, please, I need to get out of the room before she sees me. She prayed to whoever was kind enough to spare her. And as she reached the outskirts of the premises, she staggered her way to the washroom.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter