Poetry and Chemistry

Hormones' Hoax
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An hour and a half was the time given to every subject a teacher handles. It was 8:15 AM, 45 minutes have gone and passed by but a certain single soul has not rolled out even a letter off her tongue. The professor of the hour was their homeroom teacher- Park Jinyoung. He stopped midway of his discussion and let out a heavy sigh, the silence of the sharp-tongued individual was taking its toll in his mentality. He scrunched his eyebrows and looked at Dahyun with a wary expression and, in a unified motion, everyone did the same.

 

“Are you feeling ill, Kim?” Mr. Park reached out and checked her temperature with his hand.

 

“Why do I get the feeling that you’re wishing I was demented and sick, Sir?” Dahyun leaned her head away from the teacher’s hand and threw a suspicious look.

 

“Ah, there she is. I almost thought you were beginning to be a decent student with your lack of words of wisdom for 50 minutes.” Park Jinyoung retracted his steps and went ahead with their lesson.

 

Dahyun chuckled a little before craning her neck and then cracking her knuckles. As much as she wants to deny it, her friends noticed her lack of participation with the class. She closed her eyes and reviewed her plan once again, frame by frame. It was unusual of her to feel this nervous about something she’s known to be smooth and suave on, maybe because this was the first time she put in this much effort and time to make it land in success.

 

“You seem off.” Chaeyoung whispered, “Something the matter?”

 

“Just a bit tacky for the main event.” Dahyun answered back while wiping the sweats of her palms to her jeans.

 

“I need the 20 bucks before I do the deed, got that? A no show will crash your promenade rock bottom.” Tzuyu butted in with her hand stretched out and her palm waiting for the said amount.

 

“Chill, Yoda.” Dahyun grumpily dug her hand into her pocket to fish out the money the taller one was harassing out of her.

 

 

Mina, being the studious type of a student despite her breathtaking façade, went to the library after yet another extraterrestrial discussion of Chemistry lecture by Kim Heechul, who, by the way, Mina had doubts if he really was a Chemistry Engineering graduate. What kind of a Chemistry professor would pronounce cation as kashion? She rolled her eyes upon remembering how most of the girls in their classroom daydream about such a narcissistic and superficial person. Mina took some Advanced Chemistry books in order to be twenty steps ahead of their lesson. She unintentionally slammed the heavy books on the table, waking up the individual that was sleeping just across her seat. She immediately whispered an apology.

 

“How come you’re always the reason that I get sleep deprived?” The anonymous person took off her hoodie and flashed a very familiar smile that always had a soft spot in Mina’s heart.

 

“Chaeng?” Mina blurted right after.

 

The smaller of the two reached for the sky to stretch her arms and upper body with low grunts leaving , “Now you owe me two things.” Chaeyoung said after a concluding yawn.

 

“Two things?” Mina opened one of the books to its table of contents in attempt to try and escape another of the tiger’s burning gaze on her.

 

“You owe me one of my good afternoon nap and a dish you personally cooked.” Chaeng said while rubbing her eye, acting all cool and aloof as if nonchalant about the whole thing but the truth was the opposite.

 

Oh, yeah. She asked for a home dish. Mina chuckled to herself upon remembering that one time Chaeyoung cheered her up with a peck on her cheek. They looked at each other in the eye and smiled at the same time; they reminisced a similar scene.

 

Chaeyoung fished out a planner from her bag and began reciting what she was writing, “Saturday @ 9:00AM sharp, be at Mina’s apartment to critic her self-proclaimed delicious cooking.”

 

“What if I have other appointments this weekend?” Mina challenged with a mischievous smile on her lips.

 

“Cancel them.” The smaller one replied with an equivalent impish grin.

 

“What makes you so confident that I would do so?” She folded her arms on her chest, a smirk present on the edge of mouth.

 

“Because I’m cute.” Chaeng grinned playfully and chuckled at her own words. Her dimple showed its gloriousness and provided a strong proof of her statement.

 

Mina laughed while shaking her head. They both had to cover their mouths or else the highly doubtful if human librarian will kick them out.

 

“I can’t argue with that, could I?”

 

The staring-with-smirks-on-their-faces battle commenced. Both knew this was probably a waste of their vacant time but they were under each other’s eyes, what could possibly be a better way to waste time with? With every passing second, the challenge became difficult. Mina was focusing her gaze between Chaeyoung’s brows but her eyes were reluctant to do so, as it would always move her sight to Chaeyoung’s luscious lips which were slightly parted. The other head was doing the exact same thing, and it was making her red on the face. Sure, Chaeyoung was doing her best to keep up with Mina’s daringness but she was still new to this so the victory goes to the veteran.

 

“Stop doing that.” Chaeyoung covered her eyes and then wiped the sweats on the sides of her face.

 

Every time Chaeng looks at Mina’s lips, the latter’s tongue would always run its tip on her bottom lip and it drove Chaeyoung nuts. Adding fuel to the fire, whenever that happens, time mischievously slows down as if wanting Chaeyoung to ponder to the question- To kiss or not?

 

“I’m not doing anything.” But she was fully aware what the cub meant as it was a known habit of hers.

 

Chaeyoung wasn’t really into winning their little clash so it was easy for her to raise the white flag. She chuckled shyly before standing up and transferring to Mina’s side. The latter smiled at the kind gesture the little one was doing. They sat in silence but there was this knowledge that the tranquility offered comfort and belongingness to each other. Their shoulders were touching even though their table was near to deserted. Mina decided to continue her skimming for appropriate education in Chemistry.

 

It’s been a while since the last words were spoken. Mina was gracefully and, rather, femininely reading the book; her pinky finger points out when she turns a page and her posture was delicate as a princess. While Chaeyoung was slouching unconsciously, her thoughts fully occupied. She flinched and straightened her back, her face obvious of pride and confidence.

 

“I don’t get it why you have to read Chemistry when it’s crystal clear that we have it between us.”

 

Mina gently closed her book and turned to face the cub who was ‘hitting’ on her. She raised both her eyebrows and shook her head, “It took you that long to come up with a clichéd line?”

 

The attempter rubbed her nape out of frustration and embarrassment, and pouted a little bit, “How come when Dahyun does it, it sounds alluring and godly?”

 

“Before Sana, how many times do you think she shamelessly flirts?”

 

“At least fifteen times a day, I guess.” Chaeng shrugged.

 

“How about you?” Mina gently bumped her shoulder on Chaeyoung’s.

 

“This is the first time I’ve actually tried doing so and I couldn’t even get a small giggle out of you.” Chaeyoung feigned a pout and leaned her head on Mina’s shoulder.

 

Mina chuckled at how Chaeyoung was acting all sulky and cute, if this was how Chaeng treats her ‘crush’ then Mina was more than obliged to comply the role. She patted the cub’s head, “For a beginner, it was actually really sweet.”

 

“You’re nicer to hang around with, all I get from Tzuyu and Dahyun are savage words and sarcasm.” Chaeng meant what she said. This was going well and according to her plan, “So, 9AM sharp, okay? I won’t be late. You better perfect your dish.”

 

Son stood up and went behind, placing both hands on Mina’s shoulders, holding it with moderate force; just enough pressure to let Mina know she was trying to imply something firm. Cheyoung leve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter