Red, White, and the Moon

Hormones' Hoax
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After that weekend getaway, Mina noticed that Chaeng was now able to form longer sentences without stammering halfway whenever the two have a chat. The eye contact, however, was still something the cub has to work on, and Mina would do anything to be of any help (of course, Chaeng is unaware). The mornings during school days were a delight for Mina, after the statistical method of calculating and getting the average hour of Chaeyoung’s arrival in school, she gets to have a few minutes with her until the others invade the scene.

 

“Hi. You’re always here too early.” Chaeng greeted and put her bag on her seat, fishing out something.

 

“I should say the same thing about you.” Yes, everything is working well for Mina’s morning.

 

“Uhm, I haven’t properly thanked you for the wonderful weekend…” The cub took a few small steps shyly until she reached the side of Mina’s desk.

 

“You don’t have to, actually. Mom had a blast even from just watching us from the sidelines. She said we made her feel young.” Mina leaned to the side and faced Chaeng, her head resting on her closed fist.

 

Chaeyoung nodded and cleared , she was too nervous for something so small like thanking Mina, “… I still felt like I should thank you personally.” Her hands on her back sweated felt like waterfalls, “I was wondering if you’d like this since I couldn’t come up with something nice to give you to express my gratitude.”

 

“Really, Chaeng, you didn’t have to.” Mina said that but there was no denying of the excitement she felt.

 

“I picked this up just this morning…” Chaeyoung fiddled her feet before finally revealing her thank you present to Mina.

 

And she froze; Mina was left speechless and motionless on what she saw. Chaeyoung handed her a red rose. slightly opened, her mind unable to process what Chaeyoung did. She would never ever expect that Chaeng would do these kinds of gestures to her, and maybe that’s why this felt so sweet for her. Mina had to duck her head down and cover to muffle any kinds of sound that penetrates to leave her lips out of pure giddiness.

 

“Mina? Are you okay? Your ears are turning red.” Chaeyoung asked for Mina’s wellbeing, the rose still on her hand.

 

Mina vigorously nodded in reply as she gradually held her head up, her hand still covering the bottom half of her face. She couldn’t even stop smiling, making her eyes glisten from utter happiness and shock.

 

“You don’t like the rose?” Chaeng asked in a whisper.

 

“No!” Mina snapped and swiftly took the rose, “I love it.” Her cheeks all red and sore from the unending smiles.

 

The cub smiled shyly and shoved her sweaty hands in her pockets and mumbled something like she’s glad Mina liked the flower while drawing imaginary lines on the floor with the point of her shoe.

 

“Well, well, well,” Dahyun blurted out, her hands on her hip, “Throw in a musical and call me Skippy! Did Chaenohfmfhpfh-“

 

Tzuyu covered Dahyun’s mouth just right on time, “Learn to read the atmosphere, genius.” She hissed.

 

“Seriously Dahyun, you continue this streak of yours and you’ll find yourself headless.” Sana butted in.

 

For the first time in forever, Mina didn’t mind Dahyun’s interruption. Why would she bother? Chaeyoung gave her a rose, and there’s nothing that could ruin the feeling. Nothing. Nada.

 

(Oh, really?)

 

“Son, Kim, Chou, please proceed to the guidance counselor’s office.” An immediate news was Park Jinyoung’s greeting to them.

 

In a dramatic, movie-like slow motion, all eyes shifted to Dahyun, who was, secretly eating a ham sandwich. She folded the tin foil neatly and hid it in her bag. Dubu wasn’t really listening to the announcement, making her look at her classmates with suspicious eyes.

 

“What did I do now?” She obliviously asked.

 

“Exactly, what?” Tzuyu crossed her arms, “And you just had to drag Chaeng and me.”

 

“How in tarnation did I drag anyone to anything when I was just peacefully eating my pre-snack? Which was, by the way, rudely disrupted by you people.” Dahyun defended.

 

“Miss Kim?” Sir Park called her attention, “for the ease of your mind, I’ll repeat- you’re called by the guidance counselor together with Son and Chou.”

 

“And all of you suspected I did something badass again, didn’t you?” She threw an accusing index finger to her classmates who gladly nodded in chorus, “Tzuyu could’ve done it. I once saw her almost skipping class because of a limping puppy on the sidewalk!”

 

“Miss Kim, you three are excused from homeroom. Please do proceed to guidance office now.” Park Jinyoung formally said, trying hard to hide his mirth of not dealing with Dahyun for a period. But I feel bad about Son and Chou.

 

 

“He-elp… me-e…” Dahyun croaked, asking for an aid from Son Chaeyoung.

 

Apparently, Tzuyu and Cheyoung never had disciplinary cases of any kind. And the former was agitated by the fact that Dahyun stained her clean record.

 

“Tell me what insolence you did now or else I will choke you until that sandwich you ate goes out from your mouth.” Tzuyu dragged Dahyun by her neck, chokingly.

 

“You better tell her Dubu. I really don’t like seeing projectile vomiting this early.” Chaeng said, not that concerned about Dahyun’s struggle.

 

They reached the office a few moments after Dahyun was released by Tzuyu unintentionally, biting the latter’s arm made a good escape route from Tzuyu’s unbelievably long arms. Cheyoung knocked a few times but there was no reply from the other side. Tzuyu, ready to blame everything on Dahyun, opened the door without the proper consent from the person behind it. After peeking and knowing nobody was around, they went in and roamed the small office.

 

“I’ve been here a few times; the place looks brand new and does not reek of old people anymore. I guess granny counselor finally sanitized her office.” Dahyun said, her hands still massaging her neck.

 

“Who are you calling a granny, Dahyunnie?” A very familiar voice asked out, followed by the shutting of the door, “I believe I’m only five years older than you bunch. But people say I look younger.”

 

“Unnie!” Chaeyoung excitedly called.

 

Im Nayeon enveloped Chaeyoung in a tight hug before signaling the two other to join the embrace. Tzuyu grimaced a bit but was pulled in by Nayeon in a swift tug. Dahyun attempted to escape the scene by slyly tiptoeing towards the door, Tzuyu didn’t want that to happen, however. She grabbed Dahyun by the collar tightly.

 

“AH. I missed you three babies!” Im Nayeon, the new guidance counselor, said while still hugging Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. The latter was yanking Dahyun by the collar.

 

“We nearly thought we were in some kind of trouble, and I guess I was right after all.” Tzuyu sighed.

 

“Didn’t you miss me?” Nayeon said with a pout. The three of them groaned.

 

“Aren’t you, like, too old for pouting?” Dahyun asked, and then hid behind Chaeyoung.

 

“Ya! Kim Dahyun!”

 

The maknae line in addition with the oldest one did some catching up with each other. Im Nayeon was Chaeng’s baby sitter ever since she was 4 until she was 8, Dahyun, being the Son’s frequent visitor, got to know Nayeon through Chaeng. After that, they all became close to each other until middle school, wherein Tzuyu entered the circle. Despite Nayeon being five years

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter