You and I

(NBin) unWRITTEN

[CHAPTER 45]

“You and I”

 

 

Hakyeon looked out beyond the cityscape from Sanghyuk’s apartment balcony and watched the sun disappearing slowly into the horizon. So many things have happened in just a single day that it was most impossible to believe.

“Either you sacrifice your memories all together or you lose Han Sanghyuk,” Sungjae said once more as he watched the sun go down with Hakyeon.

“I know that. You don’t have to keep repeating yourself,” Hakyeon replies irritatingly.

“I just wanted to remind you that there’s no time left. You have to make your decision soon.”

“Me? Why me? What about everyone else? Why do I have to be put in this kind of position, shouldn’t we have everyone’s consent as well?”

“Because this is your story,” Sungjae reminded him. “They’re only here because of you and they were able to enter this world through your book. Also, they broke the law of Moirae so none of them are in the position to make any decision.”

Hakyeon went silent. He’s been so annoyed at the others this entire time that suddenly, he began to realize something. Everything really did start out from his fate. His book was the one that stood out from the rest of it all and he was unfortunately chosen as the Goddesses’ final attempt to fixing the unpredictable. That’s how he ended up meeting Taekwoon, another being from another dimension. But he didn’t die like how the facility wanted him to and came back to life miraculously even though he continued to live while dreading on about his past. His book that wasn’t on any shelf of the Library of Fates was eventually found and read by Hongbin who got curious about why so many things were happening to Hakyeon’s fate. Eventually, one thing led to another and both Jaehwan and Wonshik got involved as well. He fell in love with Hongbin and even after they tried to erase his memories of the younger, he was still able to remember despite everyone else forgetting. Their strong bonds and love for one another defied every law of the universe. Hakyeon never expected that Hongbin would come back because of his desperate calls but at the same time, brought Jung Taekwoon along as well.

Everything really did start from a single book.

“Can you… give us a little time,” Hakyeon asked Sungjae. “Please.”

Sungjae let out a deep sigh,” I knew you were going to ask that. It’s fine but this will be the last time.”

“I know.”

“Hakyeon-ah.”

“Hmm?”

“I’m sorry for putting you through this and if I could, I would do anything to not have you go through this kind of pain again but… there’s no other way. Don’t blame yourself for what’s happening. If anything, you can blame us for being so powerless,” Sungjae’s usual smile disappeared along with the last bit of light from the sky.

“Sungjae…”

Hakyeon could see that Sungjae was also having a difficult time, just like the rest of them. He couldn’t find it in his heart to resent Sungjae as much as he wanted because no one wanted any of this to happen.

Hakyeon turned around and saw Hongbin sitting in the living room with the rest. The part of him that was angry in the beginning disappeared entirely because soon, Hakyeon wouldn’t even be able to remember why he was angry in the first place.

“Sungjae-ah,” Hakyeon called out.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

“What for?”

“For this opportunity to set things right again.”

 

* * * * * *

 

Hakyeon returned to the living room to join the rest after his talk with Sungjae. He walked towards Hongbin and grabbed the younger’s hands.

“Let’s go home for now,” he said. “I… we need to talk.”

Hongbin looked at Sungjae, as if asking for permission and Sungjae simply smiled and nodded to send the two away for the day.

Hongbin felt a little anxious but hopeful with whatever Hakyeon wants to talk about so he followed the older unconditionally outside of the apartment. The older remained quiet during the walk down the street but Hakyeon held Hongbin’s hands tightly. Hongbin could somewhat guess what’s on the older’s mind as it’s the same thing that was on his but he was afraid to say it.

Hakyeon led them to a nearby playground and found an unoccupied set of swings. He brought Hongbin to sit in one of them while he sat on the other.

The older started to kick against the sand gently back and forth, swinging a little as he did.

Hongbin watched the older without a word but was simply relieved that they had the chance to be together. He watched Hakyeon enjoy the ride a little wile he watched from below.

The night was dark and the park was only lit a little by the street lamp along the sidewalk. Everyone was asleep at this time and the neighborhood was utterly quiet and peaceful.

“Hak-“ Hongbin wanted to call the older’s name.

“I love you,” Hakyeon interrupted with a sudden confession.

“What?” taking the younger by surprise.

“I know a lot of things have happened lately between us and I said a lot of harsh things to you. It’s because I was worried and anxious about many things.”

“I know.”

“But I just want to let you know that no matter what has happened between us lately and even in the future, I still love you,” Hakyeon stopped his swings and turned to face the younger in sincerity. “I’m a lot to handle, aren’t I?”

Hongbin smiles a bit and jokingly agrees,” yeah but that’s the same for both of us.”

“I guess we’re a difficult couple to deal with, huh?”

“Yeah…” the younger sighed and let out a weak chuckle this time.

“You know, I’m sorry for getting everyone involved. You, Jaehwan, Wonshik, Sanghyuk and even Taekwoon. If it wasn’t because of me, none of this wo-“

“That’s not true!” Hongbin’s smiles disappeared and stopped what the older was going to say. “You’re more than what you believe yourself to be. I told you before, didn’t I? How I used to be before we met? How even Jaehwan and Wonshik couldn’t do a thing to get me out of my shell? I was at a point where even I’ve given up on myself but you changed that. You changed me. It’s true you can be unpredictable whether it’s your fate or your personality but that’s what makes you who you are and why I fell in love with you. If I never met you… I would still be the same Lee Hongbin as I was a few years ago.”

Hongbin suddenly broke down. He tried to remain calm through everything that was happening because he could tell how hard it was for Hakyeon. He didn’t want his emotions to affect the older when the older was already stressed out about Sanghyuk’s situation. Hongbin tried to be the mature one in their relationship and he felt he was responsible for making Hakyeon happy. He was facing so many obstacles of his own while trying to please those around him without hindering them. But in the end, things became too much for him to continue hiding his emotions.

“Kong-ah…” Hakyeon saw the younger’s tears which completely took him by surprise. He’s honestly never really seen Hongbin cry like this because it’s always him who ran into the younger’s arms when he was sad.

He got up from the swings and walked towards Hongbin, who tried so hard not to show his tears in front of the person he loves.

“It’s okay, Kong-ah. It’s been hard on you too, hasn’t it? It’s okay to cry,” Hakyeon hugged Hongbin who kept crying while wiping his tears away. Hakyeon rubbed the younger’s back to soothe his beloved’s tears of sorrow. Hakyeon could feel the aching of his heart as he felt the younger’s tears seeping through his shirt.

At a time like this, Hakyeon finally realized that Hongbin can still act his age at times. At a time like this, Hakyeon is suddenly reminded that he was the older one in their relationship.

Hakyeon can be quite unreasonable at times when it comes to people he cares about especially to those he’s cherished for a long time. Everyone knew that and so did Hakyeon, himself. That’s why when Hyuk ended up in that condition, he became blinded by anger and disappointment that he forgot that it wasn’t just him that was hurting from all of this.

The things he said before in front of Hongbin, started to come back. He didn’t mean to say those things but he lost all rationale when he thought he was going to lose Hyuk. But rather than apologizing to Hongbin or anyone at this point, Hakyeon realized that it was comfort that the younger needed the most.

It wasn’t just Hakyeon who was having a hard time due to everything but Hongbin was having a tough time himself.

“For tonight, let’s forget about everything and just be together, okay?” Hakyeon knelt down to look up on Hongbin’s teary expression. He helped Hongbin wipe the tears away and kissed the younger’s damped eyes.

Hongbin said no more and the two returned home together that evening.

 

* * * * * *

 

“No way out, huh?” Taekwoon repeated those words aloud as he watched Sanghyuk from the side.

It’s for Sanghyuk’s sake… so everything will be worth it in the end, he thought to himself.

“Even if you watch him all night long without sleep, nothing is going to change the fact that you’ll forget about him eventually,” Sungjae interrupted the peaceful moment Taekwoon was having to himself.

Taekwoon glared at Sungjae immediately, “leave me alone.”

Sungjae took a seat next to Taekwoon despite what he just said.

“It’s been awhile since I’ve heard your voice,” he said. “How long has it been? Five years? Or has it been longer? Ever since you came back from your mission, you’ve lost the ability to hear us. Am I correct?

“…”

“You know, Taekwoon-ah. You’re not any different when it comes to Lee Hongbin. The two of you are quite alike actually. As you know for the longest time, those who were selected as the Keepers are those who will eventually place a great threat to my and my siblings as well as the facility. They defy their predetermined fate that was given to them before birth and are able to choose paths of their own. That’s why both InGuk and Hongbin was selected to be in that facility in the first place. But did you know, you were going to be there initially as well?” Sungjae revealed.

“What?” Taekwoon couldn’t believe his ears.

“It’s true. How should I say this? Hmm… I have the ability to see things that no one else can and I’m able to see those who will be able to serve the facility. Each person born on Moirae’s Edge have the same purpose – to serve fate.  But there’s one thing that no one has, a thread of fate. It’s true that none of you guys have a book of fate like humans do but there’s a small thread within a selected few of you. This thread lets us know how much you truly believe in the facility. Those that don’t question their existence or purpose on Moirae’s Edge would never have such a thread from them but you have that thread inside of you, Taekwoon-ah. And it’s becoming more and more apparent as you stay here on Earth,” Sungjae pointed at Taekwoon’s chest, hinting where he could see such a mysterious golden thread. “But I’m also glad you have it. I’ve watched you when you were a child because we saw a glimpse of the thread coming out of you but as you grew older, we were hoping we could protect you from the council and from being kept in the Keepers.”

“Aren’t you afraid that I’d turn against you guys then? Because… I might threaten your existence in the future?” Taekwoon flung Sungjae’s hands away.

Sungjae shook his head.

“Whether you believe me or not, it was never our intention to stop with whatever you guys wanted to do. I’ve said it before as well, my siblings and I, our role on Moirae’s Edge is a little to nothing now. The council took over and fate is being created by itself whenever it pleases. We don’t have control anymore and even the current director, Hyoshin knows about this.”

“He does?”

“That’s right. He’s the last one to be able to hear our voices. The last one to keep the facility from falling into the hands of the wrong people. He’s in a position where there are too many eyes on him for him to act recklessly because if he did, all of you would be in danger even mankind. Us on Moirae’s Edge have the power to manipulate mankind’s fate. We pose a greater threat to their lives much more than them threatening us. We can write, rewrite and erase any part of their story as we please with the powerful tools we possess. As you can see from Sanghyuk’s condition, this is the kind of impact we have on humanity.”

Taekwoon looked at Sanghyuk who laid still on the bed. With each passing moment, the younger’s body was corroding and burning away, just like the pages of his book turning into ashes.

“I’ll give you a day or two to settle down with your feelings,” Sungjae said. “It’s the first time I’ve seen you so concern about anyone. I know you need time and it’s not just you but those other two as well. Even if you’re going to forget, make it so that you have no regrets.”

“Thanks…”

Sungjae left the apartment along with the rest of the visitors. All who was left was Taekwoon who stayed by Sanghyuk’s side.

“It’s the first time, huh?” Taekwoon repeated those words as he held onto the younger’s hands. “Who would’ve thought… out of all people, you’d be the one to make me feel like this.”

Taekwoon will always remember how he met Sanghyuk several years ago. The younger was still a kid who couldn’t wait to grown up in order to impress Hakyeon, who he had a crush on. It was so obvious to Taekwoon that the younger didn’t simply look up to Hakyeon as an older brother but something more.

Sanghyuk would often come over to Hakyeon’s apartment to interrupt the only time Taekwoon had with Hakyeon. Each time, the younger would use tutoring or help with his homework as an excuse and Hakyeon would always become too soft-hearted when it comes to Sanghyuk. Taekwoon have read Sanghyuk’s book of fate several times before and he knew what kind of feelings the younger harbored for Hakyeon.

There are times when Taekwoon thought it was annoying that he kept being interfered with but other times, he couldn’t help but feel sorry for Sanghyuk. If he finds out that Hakyeon would eventually die because of Taekwoon, what would the younger do? Maybe it was a good thing that Hakyeon relived his story.

When Taekwoon feinted his death, he did read the younger’s book out of curiosity. He wanted to know what kind of reaction Sanghyuk had when his love rival finally dies. Taekwoon was expecting the younger to be happy and use Hakyeon’s sadness to his advantage but the younger did none of that.

“You… cried for me back then, didn’t you?” Taekwoon brushed his hands through the younger’s hair gently. “Thanks.”

Just then, Sanghyuk’s eyes twitched. Taekwoon sprung up immediately.

“Sanghyuk-ah? Are you okay?” He asked.

Sanghyuk opened his eyes slowly and looked at Taekwoon’s concerned face. He let out a slight smile and nodded.

“I’m… sorry,” Taekwoon’s tears fell suddenly and landed on the younger’s pale face.

Sanghyuk reaches out for Taekwoon’s hands and shook his head.

“I’m alright,” he said weakly.

“Everything will be back to normal soon and you’ll get better soon so, please just hang in there a little longer,” Taekwoon told him.

“Even if… I’m going to forget you?” Sanghyuk asked.

Taekwoon gulped,” y-you heard it all?”

“Yeah. Everything.”

“It’s for the better. If it wasn’t because of me, none of this would have happened in the first place and you wouldn’t be in such a state,” Taekwoon said.

“Don’t blame yourself. You didn’t know this was going to happen and I’m thankful that you’re here,” Sanghyuk said. “I’m glad to have met you.”

“Even when I took Hakyeon away from you?”

“Heh.”

Sanghyuk reached for Taekwoon’s tears and wiped them away. He wasn’t in the best of his condition but he knew he wanted to see Taekwoon once more before he truly forgets. In his subconsciousness, he heard everything Sungjae said to the others. A part of him was relieved that he could live to see another day but a part of him was crying inside, knowing that soon, a precious part of his memories will be gone forever.”

“Before you came back… what was my future like?” Sanghyuk wondered.

“Why do you want to know?”

“Just because. Tell me.”

“Your story changed a little when Hakyeon came back to life but you continued to chase after him and his dreams, constantly looking up to him and trying to meet his expectations like you did when you were younger. However, teaching wasn’t exactly what you really wanted and where your true potential lies. Five years after you went into teaching, you decided to give up and went back home to take over your family’s corporation and research facility. You’ve always been good with technology and problem-solving after all. Plus, you enjoyed it a lot. A few years after you took over, your discovered a new medication and brought it into the market. You changed the world and helped many people with their lives. It was one of the most successful breakthroughs of your time. Even until the end, you lived a fully accomplished life,” Taekwoon told him. He knew every little thing about Sanghyuk’s original fate before he caused it to be erased.

“And my family? Did I ever… get married?” Sanghyuk asked.

“Yeah. A wife and two kids,” Taekwoon froze up and his voice went dim,” sorry…”

“I see… a wife, huh? I guess kids wouldn’t be so bad either,” Sanghyuk commented.

“Sanghyuk-ah, I-“

Taekwoon wanted to apologize again but before he could, Sanghyuk pulled him down,

“Don’t be,” Sanghyuk said.

The younger looked into Taekwoon’s eyes and leaned in to kiss him. Taekwoon flinched a bit by surprise but the kiss was too endearing that he accepted it wholeheartedly. Deep down inside, he has been longing for this kind of warmth for awhile. Somewhere along the way, Taekwoon began to hope for more when it came to Sanghyuk and he was desperate to save the younger. He could feel his heart racing rapidly as they kissed and neither wanted to part ways.

It was indeed the first time ever that Taekwoon was positive with how he felt inside. He knew that the gentle touches from the younger and the rapid beating form his heart even from a simple kiss meant that he was in love. Though the future is uncertain for them, and even if they will eventually forget each other, the only thing that matters now is the present.