Time's Up

(NBin) unWRITTEN

[CHAPTER 42]

"Time's Up"

 

 

That night was unusually quiet. So quiet and peaceful that Hakyeon couldn't help but wake up from uncertainty. Every night seems to be a restless one for him. All he could think of was Hyuk's health and just when he thought he's had enough worries, Hongbin told him that he was going to leave again. This time, permanently.

Hakyeon woke up in the middle of the night and saw the bed lamp was for his sake but when he looked next to him on the bed, Hongbin was no where to be seen. He felt uneasy and sat up to scan around the room for the younger. Just as he did, he noticed a sticky note next to his bed side.

[I'll be right back.]

Again, Hongbin left without a word. Back? When will he be back? Later? Tomorrow? Or longer... Hakyeon started to subconsciously bit his lips in anxiety from the thousand of thoughts that popped up in his mind. He couldn't relax at all and it was only getting worst as he sat on his bed, staring blankly in the empty room that only had him in it.

"Forget it!" He told himself after waiting for almost an hour in bed.

He flipped his covers over him to hide himself in the darkness despite being afraid of it. At times like this, he felt the most relaxed in the dark because he didn't have to think about reality. All he could think about was the things he couldn't see coming for him.

As he slowly drifted back to sleep, he heard the doors open.

The younger was finally back. But even Hakyeon knew that the sun was about to rise as Hongbin came back in secretly.

He could feel Hongbin's presence in the room and the younger's touch when Hongbin ruffled his hair, thinking that he was still sound asleep.

In the small peeks of his eyes, he saw Hongbin reach for the note on the bed and took it away. Is he going to pretend like he never left for the night?

Dammit, Lee Hongbin! Pissed at the secrets being kept from him, Hakyeon woke up first and left without a word as he went off to work.

"Morning!" Minhyuk rushed in to greet Hakyeon even before Hakyeon could settle into his desk.

"Yeah..." Hakyeon replied without any emotions in his voice.

"What's wrong with you?" Minhyuk questioned.

"Can I ask something?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"So, a friend of mine is having a fight with her boyfriend because her boyfriend said that he's going to leave... overseas. She's really upset at him and she feels like he's not just going overseas only. Do you think she's being a bit too... paranoid?" Hakyeon tells the story to his friend as if he was talking about a third person.

"Is he cheating on her?"

"i-I don't think so?" Hakyeon never thought of that possibility.

"Why is he leaving then?"

"He's going back home. Somewhere far away from here."

"Can't they just have a long-distance relationship or something? It's the trend these days."

"It's not that... simple. Anyways, I don't think he's cheating on her, but I think he's definitely keeping something a secret from her."

"Hmmm..."

"He goes out every night without a word while she's sleeping and leaves a note saying that he'll be back but doesn't say where he's going exactly. He used to tell her everything and showered her with his love but lately, their relationship seems to be falling apart and she's kind of upset with him because of it," Hakyeon continues.

"She's not just overreacting then? From the looks of it, he's definitely hiding something from her, but she could also be overthinking. If he's not cheating on her or planning to break up with her, I don't see why he has to keep things a secret from her at all," Minhyuk shared his opinion in a rather mature manner. "Anyways, who's this friend of yours? Aside from us, you have other friends? Is it Eunji?"

"No! It's not her. How can it be her? You didn't tell her you're leaving or anything, did you?" Hakyeon immediately refutes.

"Of course not! There's no way I can leave her, she'd kill me if I did," Minhyuk said half-jokingly.

Hakyeon chuckled a bit from the panicked Minhyuk who went back to his usual jokester self.

"Anyways, I think you should tell that friend of yours to just keep watch but not overthink. I'm sure the boyfriend has a reason for everything especially if he really loves her as much as you say he does," Minhyuk said finally.

"I guess..." Hakyeon sighed.

He wants to believe Hongbin and everything that the younger is doing but Hakyeon can't help but feel insecure with everything that's happening. Especially now that Hongbin said that he's going to leave, there's no way Hakyeon can stop from being paranoid. What is the younger decides to leave when Hakyeon isn't watching without a word?

Hakyeon slouched at his desk as he thought about what to do and what to believe. Just as he did, he noticed that Sungjae didn't come to school yet.

"Where's Sungjae?" He asked the other teachers who might know.

"He's got a really nasty flu it seems. I just talked to him on the phone and he didn't sound so great," the vice principal said.

"I see. I hope he's alright," Hakyeon commented and saw how lonely that desk was. First Hyuk is absent and now, Sungjae too.

 

* * * * * *

 

The school was dismissed early that day as it was the last day before Spring Break. Hakyeon finished all his tasks early and was ready to head home finally. As he walked home, he decided to take a detour around the block to the bookstore. Just as he was about to open the doors, he noticed the lights on the second floor was . The only one with keys aside from Hakyeon is Hongbin.

Hakyeon quietly opened the doors so that the tin cans above wouldn't make a sound. He didn't know why but he didn't want to be caught.

He looked around the bottom floor and didn't see Hongbin anywhere, but he did notice that the place was looking spotless. Hongbin must be in the middle of cleaning again.

Hakyeon went upstairs and noticed the back-storage door opened. He slowly creeped his way towards the room and saw Hongbin's back facing the door.

What's he doing? Hakyeon tried to make out the situation and noticed the younger grab something secretly from the closet. A box?

Hakyeon has never seen it before but as soon as Hongbin opened it, he knew right away what it was.

The blank book and tools for Hongbin's existence and only Hakyeon had the powers to grant the younger his story.

So that's where he's been hiding it... Hakyeon finally realized. They keep telling him that they'll eventually give it to Hakyeon after they send Taekwoon back and lock the gates between the two dimensions but now that Hongbin have decided to leave, the younger never mentioned a single think about the book. Hakyeon knew it must be somewhere but he never expected it to be so close to home.

Is that what he's hiding from me? Doesn't he trust me? Hakyeon became rather irritated with just the thought of it.

Hongbin put the lock back on the box and stored it deep inside the closet. He finished up his work and turned around. But Hakyeon hid himself just in time so that Hongbin didn't catch him.

The situation was becoming more and more annoying by the minute.

Hakyeon decided to keep an eye on Hongbin as Minhyuk advised.

He secretly observed the younger from afar and he honestly thought that Hongbin was going to go home after cleaning the bookstore, but he was wrong. Hongbin didn't go home at all.

Hakyeon however, noticed that the younger kept checking his phone and his watch. Is he trying to time something? For when Hakyeon comes back?

That's right, I missed the chance to tell him that I'd be early today... That being said, Hakyeon saw this as an opportunity to figure out what was going on.

But what he didn't expect was that after following Hongbin around, that the younger would eventually end up in Hyuk's neighborhood.

Is he keeping watch on Hyuk for Jaehwan and Wonshik? Was what Hakyeon initially thought but why would Hongbin walk up those stairs and approach the apartment with such ease. Isn't he afraid of Hyuk seeing him?

Hongbin rung the doorbell and caught Hakyeon by surprise. What's he doing? Hakyeon couldn't see what was going on as he watched from downstairs, but the doors opened for Hongbin and the younger went inside.

"W-what's going on?" Hakyeon found himself in disbelief and bewildered by the situation.

Why would Hongbin go inside of Hyuk's house? And did Hyuk open the doors for him? But Hyuk isn't supposed to remember Hongbin, right?

What about Taekwoon?

Again, that vexing feeling came rushing back. This time especially, he was at his limits.

Hakyeon waited outside for hours, each minute he waited, he wanted to go up to see what was really going on but at the same time, what if he really was overthinking the situation and misunderstands Hongbin? But then why didn't Hongbin say anything about visiting Hyuk? Doesn't he know how much Hakyeon have been worried sick of Hyuk's health?

Hakyeon couldn't take it anymore. He stomped up the stairs and was ready to bang the doors.

But just as he almost did, the doors opened by themselves.

"I'll come visit again soon," Hongbin said to someone.

"Yeah, no problem," another voice replied.

It was definitely not Hyuk's voice but an irritatingly familiar one. The doors opened and caught Hakyeon by surprise, but he wasn't the only one.

The one who stood behind Hongbin and opening the doors to the younger out was none other than Taekwoon.

Irritated.

Upset.

Disappointment.

Betrayal.

Those were everything Hakyeon felt at that exact moment. In just a few seconds, all these annoying feelings came rushing out.

"H-Hakyeon-ah?" Hongbin, as well as Taekwoon were both caught in surprise by the unexpected visitor.

Without any more excuses, Hakyeon demanded the truth immediately, "why are you with him? Well, Lee Hongbin? I want answers now!"

 

* * * * * *

 

Worst scenario ever.

Intense and terrifying at the same time.

Hakyeon sat on the couch of Hyuk's living room while both Hongbin and Taekwoon kept stealing glances at one another, trying to figure out a way to ease Hakyeon's fume.

Hongbin could feel cold sweat dripping from the side of his head and even Taekwoon could feel himself shaking nervously inside.

Hakyeon glared at the two who seemed rather chummy with one another.

"Spill it," Hakyeon was running out of patience.

Never in his life has he felt this annoyed and furious at anyone. This was the first.

"Taekwoon has already decided to go back to Moirae's Edge. So, you don't have to worry anymore," Hongbin told the older since it didn't seem like Hakyeon was willing to listen to Taekwoon's explanation in the first place.

"Oh?" Hakyeon questioned in a skeptical tone.

Taekwoon simply nodded obediently as he stayed close next to Hongbin as if it was safer there.

"Then leave. Now," Hakyeon demanded.

"It's not as simple as that. We're just keeping watch on Sanghyuk's condition first before we leave. We can't guarantee that after we leave, that Sanghyuk will get better," Hongbin told him.

"We?" Hakyeon glared at the two. "So, you're really planning on leaving after all."

Hongbin swallowed hard in anxiety without realizing that he had made Hakyeon even more mad.

"I-It's for the best," he tried to tell the older.

"Did you have something to do with it?" Hakyeon turned his anger towards Taekwoon.

It made even Taekwoon flinch a bit. Neither Hongbin nor Taekwoon have seen Hakyeon his mad before. It was nerve wrecking.

"Don't blame it on him. Taekwoon has nothing to do with me leaving. It was my decision," Hongbin tried to say.

"Now you're even defending him? What happened this entire time while you two met behind my back in secret? Have you already forgotten what happened?" Hakyeon yelled.

"No, I still remember. But we're just taking care of Sanghyuk, nothing more. You make it sound as if we're... cheating on you together or something," Hongbin stuttered so much that he thought he was going to bite his tongue for a second.

"Cheating or not, I hate secrets. And the fact that it's the both of you makes me extra mad. How can you do this to me? After everything that's happened and you still... am I not trustworthy enough for you? You'd rather trust Jung Taekwoon, the one who drove me to my death, came back to try and kill me again, rather than to trust me?" Hakyeon clenched his fist tightly in anger. He could feel his nails sinking into his palms.

Both Hongbin and Taekwoon was honestly too shock to say a word and even if they try to explain themselves, Hakyeon was not in the mood for excuses.

"Don’t... blame it on them... *cough*," Sanghyuk came out from his bedroom.

"Sanghyuk-ah!" Taekwoon dashed from his spot and came to assist the younger, "you should be resting."

"It's okay, hyung," Sanghyuk reassured the older. "Don't be angry at them, Hakyeon-hyung. They just didn't want you to worry."

"Hyuk-ah..." just looking at how sick Sanghyuk was, Hakyeon calmed down just a little bit.

"No one was able to predict this from happening. Taekwoon-hyung has been doing everything he can to help me recover already. Don't be mad at him, please."

"If it wasn't for him, you wouldn't be in this state in the first place. How can you be standing up for him?" Hakyeon said.

"I know. I know everything already, hyung. But what's done is already done. There's no use in being angry anymore when he's already repenting on what's happened," Sanghyuk tried to reason with Hakyeon.

"Even after everything he's done, you're willing to forgive him?" Hakyeon couldn't comprehend.

"What he did is unforgiveable, I understand that much especially what he did to you but we need to learn how to move on. Isn't that what you did when you met Hongbin?" Sanghyuk reminded him. "There's no use dwelling in the past, I think you know that more than any of us here, Hakyeon-hyung."

Hakyeon went silent. The younger was right but he didn't want to listen. He was upset.

Everyone who was by his side at one point suddenly felt like they were going against him instead. What did he do so wrong for him be treated like this suddenly? He was agitated.

"Hakyeon-ah..." Hongbin could see how hurt Hakyeon was and really felt sorry for it. He reached out for Hakyeon to comfort him but the older swung his hands away.

"Don't touch me," the older warned.

"Hyung..." Sanghyuk looked at Hakyeon as well, though he was in pain, he could tell Hakyeon was just as broken. "Please, listen to us."

Taekwoon got up from his seat and walked towards Hakyeon. He knelt before the other and bowed apologetically.

"I'm sorry. Everything I did to you, everything I did towards Sanghyuk. I know it's impossible to forgive me and I don't ask for forgiveness. I deserve every hate you want to pour on me. If you want to hit me, go ahead. But Hongbin and Sanghyuk has nothing to do with this. There's no reason to behave like this towards them. I'll leave Earth and go back to Moirae's Edge immediately if that's what you want but please don't take your anger out on these two," Taekwoon said.

"So, if I want you to leave now, you'll go?" Hakyeon asked.

Taekwoon simply nodded without a fight or argument.

"No!" Sanghyuk suddenly raised his voice. He felt a sharp pain stabbing through his throat as he did. "You can't just leave like that. Are you really going to be okay with that?"

Taekwoon had no choice to be honest, but Sanghyuk grabbed onto the older's arms. Despite his weakened state, Sanghyuk was desperately holding onto Taekwoon and the older could feel it.

"Sanghyuk-ah..."

"Is there really nothing we can do? You don't want to go back right?" the younger looked earnestly at Taekwoon. "I... don't want you to leave..."

Sanghyuk took everyone by surprise. No one expected the younger to be the one who didn't want to let go of Taekwoon. Hakyeon looked almost speechless as he saw Sanghyuk holding onto Taekwoon.

Cough. Cough.

"Please, Hakyeon-hyung. Don't make Taekwoon-hyung leave... I... need him," Sanghyuk confessed.

"W-what are you saying?" Hakyeon couldn't say anything more. He never expected to hear something like this from the youngest at all.

"Sanghyuk-ah," Taekwoon saw how much the younger really didn't want him to leave. The younger's grasp was strong yet trembling. It was the first time ever that Taekwoon felt this moved. He was thankful and at the same time, he felt cherished.

"Hyung," Sanghyuk continued holding on and leaned in closer to the older. He wrapped his arms around Taekwoon as if he was trying to protect Taekwoon from being taken away or leaving. "Don't g-"

Then, he lost his strength. His body finally gave up after holding on for so long. Sanghyuk fell to the ground and plummeted in front of everyone.

"S-Sanghyuk-ah!" Taekwoon felt his tears rushing out from the shock as he held onto the younger's larger body within his arms.

"Hyuk!" Hakyeon shouted in shock.

Sanghyuk laid there on the ground, his body remains cold and still. He didn't speak, nor did he flinch. His eyes were shut tight and the corrosion on his body started to engulf his body entirely.

He was no longer breathing...