Reunion and Premonition

(NBin) unWRITTEN

[CHAPTER 33]

"Reunion and Premonition"

 

 

He's been hoping and praying that he could meet the younger again. It's been so long since their separation and it almost felt unreal to see the younger standing in front of him once more. He's already forgotten how many times he's doubted himself and his memories of the young man named Lee Hongbin because the younger suddenly disappeared from his life. 

"Hongbin-ah!" Hakyeon jumped up and held tightly onto Hongbin with his eyes full of tears," is it really you? Am I still dreaming?"

Hakyeon couldn't find the right words to say or all the things he's been meaning to say to the yougner now that Hongbin was back in his life. It felt so unreal to be able to feel Hongbin's warmth again.

"I'm real, see?" Hongbin said as he placed Hakyeon's hands on his face to feel that he really does exist.

"Hongbin-ah. Lee Hongbin, Hakyeon continued to cry out the name over and over again as if he was trying to confirm the younger's existence.

"I miss you," Hongbin said as he caressed Hakyeon and rubbed his back to calm him down.

"Me too!" 

Neither was able to believe that they would ever be reunited this quickly but at the same time, it felt like their reunion took too long. All of Hakyeon's emotions started to rush out as he cried both of disbelief and joy. He couldn't stop his tears but he wasn't the only one. Hongbin cried as well, he tried to remain calm but his eyes gave out. The two of them held onto one another tightly as they savored their reunion and reconfirming its existence. 

"Have you finally calmed down?" Hongbin asked as they sat together on the balcony and watched the night sky.

"A little," Hakyeon nodded. "I really miss you."

Hongbin held onto Hakyeon's hands to give the older a sense of reassurance, "me too," he said.

"Are you back for good then?" the older asked.

"...Not really."

"W-why not?" 

"Do you remember why Jaehwan and Wonshik came to you in the first place? The three of us don't actually exist here on Earth. We don't have a story so we need someone who can write our existence here in this world. That's the only way for me to permanently be here with you."

"I remember. They told me that that's the rule or something about giving you an existence. So if I help write your story, you'll really be here with me forever right?" Hakyeon asked.

"Yeah but..."

"What's wrong?" he noticed the worried expression on the younger's face.

"But..." Hongbin swallowed hard, trying to find the words to say without hurting the older's feelings, "if I come to you and if my existence in this world is confirmed, it means that I'll become just like all humans here. It means that I'll have a fate of my own, a story of my own... but at the same time, it means that I can no longer go back to my world. The place where I was truely born in."

"What do you mean you can't go back? Can't you go back and forth like you did before and now?" Hakyeon questioned in confusion.

"Actually... about that..."

Hongbin goes on to tell Hakyeon about everything that he's learned about the three Goddesses of Fate as well as how Moirae's Edge came to be. He told the older about the gateways in the Library of Fate and how the two worlds were able to connect with one another because the gate is opened. However, in order to avoid the same scenarios from occurring again in the future, they must seal the gate and prevent anymore connections between those who reside in Moirae's Edge and those on Earth. The two dimensions will never be the same again nor are they allowed to meet once more.

"Then... what about Jaehwan and Wonshik?" Hakyeon asked.

"They'll have to return to Moirae's Edge as well. They have no purpose to be here on Earth in the first place if it wasn't for the both of us," Hongbin said.

"No, I mean what about you and them? Doesn't that mean you won't be able to see them anymore if the gates are sealed..." 

Hongbin nodded.

"And your family?" Hakyeon asked in worry.

"Same."

So... it means that if Hongbin is with me, he'll be separated from his friends and families... Hakyeon thought and feared at the same time.

"What are you going to do?" the older wanted to know.

"I... honestly don't know. I'm torn right now. I love you a lot, so much that I can give everything up for you. I would do anything for you and stay by your side because I love you and can't imagine a day without you. But at the same time... both my mom and dad is on Moirae's Edge. And although I've never done anything I should have as a son, they're still my parents and I do love them a lot. It's the same for Jaehwan and Wonshik... they're just as important to me as anything else. I mean, who would go through highs and lows to help an useless friend like me? Only those two would..." 

"Hongbin-ah..."

Hakyeon really didn't know what to say. If he wanted to be selfish, than he would beg the younger to stay on Earth with him forever while leaving everything else behind but he saw things through Hongbin's eyes as well. He could understand how torn the younger must be as he's in a position between both worlds in which he cannot let go. Does Hakyeon really have the right to separate Hongbin from his birthplace? From his friends and family?

Hakyeon decided to think for the younger's sake. He held tightly onto Hongbin's hands as he finally stopped thinking only for himself.

"Whatever you choose, I'll respect your decision," he told Hongbin. "Let's give it some time before you decide. Right now, I'm just happy to be able to see you again."

"Thank you," Hongbin said as he gave Hakyeon an endearing kiss. A kiss that they've missed for a long time. 

 

~

 

"By the way, where's Jaehwan?" Hakyeon finally noticed as they went back into the apartment.

"He went to Wonshik to deliver him some food. He didn't want to disturb us and gave us some alone time to catch up," Hongbin said.

"I see... I kind of feel bad now."

"Haha, don't worry about it. So!" Hongbin exclaimed loudly," what are we having for dinner?"

That brought Hakyeon a lot of smiles. 

The two of them spent the rest of the night in the kitchen and Hakyeon made the younger some of his favorite dishes. Hakyeon still remembers clearly about how Hongbin used to make Hakyeon come over to make him dinner because Hongbin didn't know how to cook. Hakyeon was annoyed at first since he was forced to make dinner for a stranger but eventually, he got so used to it that eating alone was even stranger. Now, the time they're spending together is even more precious to the both of them. They don't know how much longer they have with one another but they tried to look at it positively. They love each other and they're able to see each other once more thanks to their friends.

"We're back!" Jaehwan said as he returned with Wonshik behind.

"Welcome back," Hakyeon said.

"I'm starving!" 

"Still? Didn't you two have dinner already?" Hongbin poked his head out to greet his two friends.

"But I digested all of that while walking back here~"

Wonshik was quiet and stared at Hongbin for a good minute.

"W-what?" Hongbin gulped at the strange stare.

The latter walked towards him and suddenly hugged Hongbin in front of everyone and out of nowhere.

"W-what are you doing?" Hongbin found himself embarrassed and surprised at the same time.

"Welcome back," Wonshik suddenly said. He tried to be strong but he was relief to see his friend's return after all. 

"Thanks."

It wasn't just a reunion between Hakyeon and Hongbin but it was also a reunion between long time friends. Neither Hongbin or Wonshik ever express their feelings or talk to each other normally but they both thought of their friendship as something special. Jaehwan and Hakyeon who were watching could only smile as they saw the two awkward friends reunite with one another.

"Alright! Time for dessert~ what are we having?" Jaehwan finally broke the moment.

In the small apartment that had barely enough space for even a single person suddenly increased to four people. But it wasn't bad. They were happy and comfortable in the small place where they were able to share their stories and time together.

 

~

 

"Achoo!" Hyuk sneezed loudly. 

He wiped his nose and went into the kitchen to grab some medicine. It's been over a week yet his flu showed no sign of going away. He's gone to the doctor already and even finished all of the medicine prescribed to him but it didn't seem very effective. He wasn't feeling as feverish as he was originally but the constant sneezing and coughing was annoying. He could barely speak and his ribs hurt so much because he's been coughing excessively. 

However, he didn't worry about himself as much as he's concern about someone else. 

It was Taekwoon.

After the incident the other night, Taekwoon trapped himself in his bedroom and refusing to come out to talk. Hyuk tried to ask what happened between him and Hakyeon but the older refused to say anything. Hyuk knows that it was almost none of his business what happened between the two people especially when Taekwoon is technically his love rival but since Taekwoon is now staying with him, Hyuk had no choice but to be concern. Plus, whatever happened between those two, it means that Hakyeon was probably affected by it too. 

Hyuk texted Hakyeon asking about what happened because he didn't have the voice to talk over the phone.

[Did something happen between you and Taekwoon-hyung?] Hyuk texted to the older.

[Nothing. Don't worry about it. Are you ok?] Hakyeon replied back.

[I'm okay but not Taekwoon-hyung... he doesn't look so good]

[Don't worry about him. Please be careful. If you need anything or if anything happens, call me immediately]

That was all Hakyeon said. 

Rather than concern about Taekwoon, who was his previous lover, Hakyeon sounded as if he could care less about what happened with Taekwoon. Hyuk couldn't help but think that Hakyeon sounded almost too cold towards someone he once loved. From what Taekwoon told Hyuk, he and Hakyeon had a fight and a huge misunderstanding a few years back which led to their separation. If so, why is Hakyeon so mad at Taekwoon? Didn't Hakyeon love Taekwoon a lot back then? What changed? And what did Hakyeon mean by telling him to 'be careful'?

Ugh my head hurts, Hyuk's head was pounding through his cold and endless thoughts as he was in the kitchen preparing a meal. 

He took out some ingredients from the fridge which was almost empty. He wanted to go out to buy grocery but because of his headaches and cold, he could barely even walk outside. He started to grab some simple ingredients and made porridge on the stove top. 

Who's ever heard of a sick person attending for a healthy one? He should be the one making me meals here... he's freeloading, Hyuk thought and let out a deep sigh. 

"Hyung, I made some porridge. You should eat something. You haven't eaten anything since yesterday," Hyuk tried to project his voice as loudly as he could but his throat was in pain. 

No matter what Hyuk said though, there was no response from Taekwoon so the younger just placed the tray of food in front of the older's bedroom doors.

 

~

"I'm leaving the food out here for you. Eat it before it gets cold," Hyuk said outside of his bedroom doors. 

Taekwoon who sat on his bed in the darkness could barely even hear the younger's voice. He knew that the younger was still very sick and had a horrible cough but Taekwoon could care less about what was going on. He was still pissed off at Hakyeon for behaving that way towards him. Plus, both Jaehwan and Wonshik is now on Earth as well which made Taekwoon even more mad. 

How dare they get in my way? Taekwoon thought as he clenched his fist in anger. 

Taekwoon sat there continuously thinking of ways to solve his problem. He never had the intentions of actually harming Hakyeon just yet. He wanted to keep a watch on the other before he makes a move and if anything, he might not even have to hurt the other. After all, despite the fact that their encounter was because of his mission from the facility, he really did spend several years nourishing his relationship with Hakyeon. He did things he would have never done back on Moirae's Edge and maybe for a little, felt things he shouldn't have felt. But he had no choice, he had to obey and he really did carry out his mission as he was told to.

Except now, everything is beginning to fire back at him and it was causing him too much stress and frustrations. 

And now, Hakyeon knows about the truth behind Taekwoon's motives to approaching him as well as the truth that no humans should have known. Not only is that knowledge forbidden to all, but it is also dangerous if any human to find out about something such as how their fate was formed in the beginning. 

No one is supposed to know. Especially not Hakyeon whose life was once forcefully put to an end because of fate. 

"Lee Hongbin..." the name rung through his head suddenly. The name of the young man who changed everything. 

Taekwoon's mission would've been put to an end yet, here he is once more because the course of fate changed and the fact that Hakyeon no longer looks at him the same way. The way Hakyeon looked at him before... the resentment in Hakyeon's eyes and the coldness in the latter's tone... it was uncomfortable and irritating all at the same time. 

How can I put everything to an end? he got out of his bed to think of what to do finally. He was pushed to the edge and now, he needs to come up with a conclusion, even if it means hurting those around Hakyeon.

Cough. Cough.

Taekwoon heard Hyuk's coughing coming from outside, most likely in the bedroom next door. 

Even after more than a week, Hyuk's flu did not get any better. In fact, it was only waiting to get worst.

And Taekwoon knew exactly why. 

"If I can't have what I want, than you have left me with no choice, Cha Hakyeon."

 

~

 

It was a Monday and Hakyeon had to leave for work early in the morning while the three friends stayed behind to watch the house.

"How are you feeling?" Wonshik asked Hongbin.

"I'm fine," his friend answered.

Hongbin has entered Hakyeon's story once again with the method of writing himself into Hakyeon's story but that still doesn't give him a reason of existence. He's only here temporarily and he doesn't know what the future has in store for him. Being on Earth again is a risky move but he was given permission to do so in order to retreive Jung Taekwoon and send him back to the facility. However, that being said, it was easier said than done. Taekwoon is now hiding inside of Hyuk's apartmant and Hongbin knows that it was better for him not to build anymore unneccessary connections with other humans especially if Hyuk has already forgotten about him.

"Have you talked with Hakyeon about everything?" Jaehwan asked.

"Yeah. I told him about why I'm here again the other night," Hongbin replied.

"What did he say?"

"We... we'll just have to see."

"You say it so easily. Aren't you worried?"

"I am. Who says I'm not? But... this place isn't my home and if I do decide to stay here, it means... I won't be able to go back to Moirae's Edge anymore. That means I have to start fresh again," Hongbin sighed.

"..."

Both Wonshik and Jaehwan looked at one another, no knowing what things to say in order to help the other make up his mind because if they were in his position, they would probably be feeling the same as well. So no one actually knew what was right and what was wrong.

But that being said, they knew the one thing they must do and that is to stop Taekwoon from changing the course of the universe and prevent fate from changing again. 

"No matter what your decision is, we'll support you," Wonshik patted Hongbin the shoulder.

"Thanks," Hongbin said. "Thanks for everything. Honestly without you two, this wouldn't have been possible to begin with. I know I'm a pain to deal with and a handful but you two never gave up on me and continued to stay by my side. No one has ever done that for me and everyone left me one by one because they couldn't deal with someone like me. So... I just want to tell you guys how grateful I am. Really."

"Kong-ah..." Jaehwan was touched by the younger's honest words. It was the first time ever to hear Hogbin's true feelings and despite the fact that both him and Wonshik knew how Hongbin was feeling inside already, it was a good feeling to be able to hear those words from the younger himself. 

"I'm just worried about Jung Taewkoon at the moment," Hongbin said.

"Same. He hasn't done anything to hurt Hakyeon yet it seems and during the other time when those two met again, it didn't seem like he had any intentions of actually hurting Hakyeon because if he wanted to hurt him, it would have done it at the beginning. What exactly is he planning?" 

"Whatever he's planning, he's definitely up to no good," Wonshik commented.

"What worries me is... why Han Sanghyuk?" Hongbin noticed. "Neither of them were ever close to one another and if anything, they would probably hate each other's guts especially when it comes to Hakyeon. But he rewrote his life inside of Sanghyuk's story and is now staying there to hide. Why that kid of all people? Doesn't he know that if anything were to happen to Han Sanghyuk, Hakyeon would be sad...."

That's when the three of them swallowed hard with the thought.

"You don't think he's really going to ... " Wonshik worried.

"Just because he can't get to Hakyeon, you guys don't think Taekwoon is planning on hurting those close to Hakyeon instead do you?" Jaehwan finally said.

"We can't let him. If anything were to happen to Hyuk, Hakyeon would never forgive himself. We all know how he is and what kind of person Hakyeon is. He would definitely blame himself for everything again..." Hongbin feared. "We need to stop Taekwoon and whatever he has in mind. We need to send him back to Moirae's Edge, even if it's by force."

No matter what happens, what the other is planning, all Hongbin can think of is to prevent any of those things from happening because at the moment, all he could think about was the uneasy feeling he had inside. As if a storm is about to brew.

 

 

A/N: unWritten has officially surpassed the word count of 'The World of Us'... Each chapter of unWritten is rather long compared to my NEO series so I was amazed that I actually wrote so much. This story is much more complicated compared to all my previous ones so~~