Forgotten

(NBin) unWRITTEN

[CHAPTER 17]

"Forgotten"

 

 

It’s been over a week since Hongbin had left to go back home and Hakyeon was missing the younger very much.  However, he had no choice but to let Hongbin leave even if he was slightly reluctant to let go. Hongbin looked as if it was quite an urgent matter so Hakyeon decided to give the younger some space rather than clinging onto him.

Thought it wasn’t exactly the first time that Hongbin had left Gwangju to go back home, Hakyeon was still not used to it. How could he when Hongbin leaving made him feel so empty every single time? But Hakyeon felt that it was rather strange for Hongbin to always leave without telling him what the matter was. The longer Hakyeon had to wait for Hongbin to return, the stranger he thought the younger was.

Hongbin was a mystery.

Even now, Hakyeon has no idea as to where Hongbin’s hometown was nor have a way to contact the younger once he’s gone back home. Why didn’t Hongbin leave a way for Hakyeon to contact him while he left South Korea?

It’s not as if Hakyeon wanted to doubt Hongbin’s love for him but more so, why is it that the more Hakyeon thought about it, the more mysterious Hongbin becomes?

“How were classes?” Sanghyuk asked Hakyeon as the two were having a small teachers meeting together after class.

“The usual. There are just a few minor adjustments for a few of my lectures,” Hakyeon replied.

“I see. Is there anything I can help you with?” the younger offered.

“No, I should be alright. Thanks though.”

Hakyeon said as he looked at his phone next to him.

“He still hasn’t called you yet?” Sanghyuk noticed.

Hakyeon nodded, “not yet.”

“How irresponsible. This isn’t the first time this has happened is it?”

“Yeah but I’m sure it’s something very urgent and important. Maybe he just hasn’t found the time to call me.”

“If you say so but that just sounds like excuses to me. He should have at least messaged you or something.”

Sanghyuk was right. Even if he doesn’t want to admit it, Hakyeon wished that Hongbin would have at least send him a message. Even if it’s just a simple one, Hakyeon would have been satisfied. Yet even now, there was nothing.

“How did you meet Lee Hongbin anyways?” Sanghyuk asked.

“Coincidence. His grandfather opened up the bookstore by my place and Hongbin is looking after it while his grandfather was gone.”

“Grandfather? Have you met him?”

“Huh? No, I haven’t. Hongbin never really talks about his family much. I thought it might be a sensitive topic so I was afraid to ask about it. I know how it feels to have a family that doesn’t seem to care… so I thought Hongbin might be the same and I didn’t want to pry.”

“Don’t you think that’s weird though? I mean, the both of you have been going out for more than a year now and yet you still don’t seem to know much about him. You told him everything about yourself and even told him about Taekwoon-hyung but he hasn’t said anything about himself to you? If he really loves you, he should trust you enough to share his stories with you, don’t you think?”

Hakyeon gulped. He had no comment. Sanghyuk was right.

It’s not that Hakyeon wanted to doubt Hongbin’s love for him but rather, he feels like he had more than enough rights to know by now regarding everything about Hongbin. He’s never asked the younger about it because he was afraid to but as time went by, even Hakyeon’s curiosity was growing.

Hakyeon let out a disappointing sigh.

Even if he wanted to ask, Hongbin wasn’t around at the moment for him to do so.

“I know you like Lee Hongbin and all, but hyung, you need to be careful. It seems to me that he knows all there is to know about you but you don’t even know half of his story. Are you really sure you can trust him?”

“I… hope so?” Hakyeon sighed once more. “You don’t like Hongbin very much do you, Hyogi?”

“I don’t.”

“Why?”

“For a lot of reasons. And the fact that he’s neglecting you like this right now is one of them.”

“You’re really overprotective you know that?”

“So? There’s nothing wrong with me wanting to look out for you. I just think you deserve a lot better especially after what happened with Taekwoon-hyung.”

“Haha. Thanks,” Hakyeon felt a bit better knowing that there was someone like Sanghyuk who was looking out for him. He patted the younger on the back with gratitude.

“I just don’t want to see you hurt anymore.”

“I know. I know Sanghyuk-ah, and I’m grateful for that.”

 

* * * * * *

 

When Hakyeon first fell in love with Taekwoon, he thought he couldn’t have asked for more. He gave Taekwoon his all because Taekwoon did the same. Hakyeon really didn’t think anyone could ever replace Taekwoon in his heart and no one did, for the longest time. He thought he lost everything the day that Taekwoon passed away.

He’s always been thinking that it was his fault that Taekwoon had left him, that Taekwoon had to suffer from so much by working hard to help Hakyeon pay his tuitions and achieving his dreams as a teacher.

Though Hakyeon did become a teacher in the end, it still didn’t make up for the fact that Taekwoon was really gone.

Ever since Taekwoon left, Hakyeon decided to shut himself away from other people. Though he still tried his best to be normal in front of others, he chose to distant himself from new encounters. He didn’t want to cause them any misfortune that would end up hurting others. When Taekwoon left, Hakyeon had no one to run to.

Even his parents and siblings who once dotes on him greatly have turned their backs on Hakyeon. They knew that Taekwoon had passed away but they never contacted their youngest son to see how Hakyeon was doing. During Taekwoon’s funeral, it was only Hakyeon who was there to host it. There were no guests that day.

Hakyeon was alone.

It was him and no one else.

He grew used to that lifestyle rather quickly, he turned away people’s affections in order to protect others from himself. He’s even turned away Minhyuk and Eunji for the longest time after they became teachers at the same school. Hakyeon did well alone for so long until he came across Hongbin.

Hongbin really changed him, more so than he would have thought.

But just like Sanghyuk said, exactly how much can he really trust Hongbin when he has practically no idea about where the younger came from or who Lee Hongbin really is?

“I’ve already told you everything about me, so why haven’t you told me anything about you? Do you not trust me?” Hakyeon asked the picture he took with Hongbin in which he used as his wallpaper on his phone. “Just how much longer do I have to wait here for you?”

Hakyeon looked through the photo album he created with Hongbin over the past year since they started going out. Being Hongbin’s lover was so bad and it was rather relaxing. Hakyeon didn’t have to try hard at all to please the latter either. They went to places that were quiet enough for just the two of them and having Hongbin as a company was more than enough for Hakyeon. The album only contained a few photos though since Hongbin wasn’t very fond of taking pictures at first but Hakyeon insisted that they create some memories together. Eventually, even the photo of Hakyeon with Taekwoon that was placed on his bedroom shelf before was replaced with him and Hongbin instead.

Hakyeon caressed the photos he took with Hongbin with much affection. He recalled every moment he had with the younger and even wrote the dates as well as the name of places they went to together on the back of every image. It wasn’t just a simple photo album for Hakyeon but it was like a diary, a memory and the precious time he had with Hongbin.

“I seriously miss you, Hongbin-ah,” he held onto the album in his arms with care. “Please, come back to me soon.”

He lied on his bed that night with the album preciously within his arms. It was the only way to ease him of his loneliness and fill in the void that Hongbin left behind.

The room was dark and the only light that shone through was the moonlit sky from outside. He closed his eyes and thought about Hongbin as he drifted slowly into sleep. The only sound that could be heard in this quiet neighborhood of Gwangju was the ticking of the clock that sat next to his bed.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Finally, everything became still and Hakyeon fell deeply into his slumber.

 

* * * * * *

 

A small and gentle breeze glazed around him. Hakyeon opened his eyes slowly to feel the wind.

As he opened his eyes, he realized he was standing in the inside of Hongbin’s bookstore.

“How did I get here?” he starts to wonder.

He glanced around the room but there was something unusual about the place. Something was wrong.

“Am I… dreaming?”

He walked across the raw wooden floor of the store in order to look for Hongbin but aside from him, there was no one else around. This really is a dream, isn’t it?

Just then, Hakyeon could feel the breeze coming from upstairs.

It was very strange.

He turned around to look back at the entrance of the store to see if that’s what was causing the draft but the usual noisy tin cans that hung above the doors remain still. So, he decided to follow the breeze and went up the stairs. Hakyeon seldom goes upstairs thought since it wasn’t where his usual reading sofa was. Even when he did go upstairs, it was just to grab a book and come back down to his reading spot.

As he went up the spiraling staircase, he found the bookshelves from above disappearing one after another.

“What is going on?” he slightly began to panic.

As the second floor became emptied of books, Hakyeon looked around to find where the draft was coming from. This dream was a strange and unusual one. Hakyeon found himself standing in the middle of the empty second floor and realized the breeze finally stopped. After everything was still, Hakyeon saw something forming from the ground.

A strange of gold formed below his feet.

One strand, two strand and eventually, a third final strand.

The three strands of gold were like threads that created a triangular shape around him. Hakyeon found himself surrounded by the usual threads and felt uneasy to be in the center of it. He decided to take an attempt to step outside of it but just has he did, he felt a shocking sensation that ran throughout his body. There was an invisible barrier that prevented him from leaving the triangle.

“What the-?”

Hakyeon didn’t like this dream or whatever this may be. He was so powerless and confused at the same time that he wanted to just wake up already.

“Let me out!” he demanded but as he shouted, he found his own voice to be muted.

He grabbed his throat in fear and continued to shout for help. Yet, no sound came out.

He was trapped.

Why? Why am I having this dream? Save me please. Hongbin-ah!

Then, the floor on the second floor disappeared.

Hakyeon found himself falling back onto the first floor but still trapped within the golden threads.

As he looked around him, all of his favorite books on the shelves disappeared one by one. The counter in which Hongbin usually occupies was disappearing as well.

Hakyeon’s heart began to ache as he saw his surroundings become an empty room.

The shelves disappeared in a matter of minutes and the vintage chandelier that hung above everything was gone as well. Hakyeon turned his head towards his favorite sofa, his favorite reading spot to realize his place was gone as well.

“No…” helpless and in despair, Hakyeon fell to his knees.

Why is this happening? Why…

“Please, let me wake up already,” he found himself crying and pleading, “please, save me Hong—“

Who?

He forgot.

 

* * * * * *

 

Bzz. Bzz.

The sound of his phone vibrating could be heard.

It was the usual morning alarm.

Bzz. Bzz.

Still half-asleep and reluctant to wake up, Hakyeon reached out for his phone to turn off the alarm. He wanted to laze around for a few more minutes before actually having to wake up for work.

He looked at the time just in case, it was still only six in the morning.

He let out a loud yawn just to realize he was holding onto something in his sleep.

A photo album? Why was he holding onto that? He has no idea.

He placed the album onto the ground and hid himself back inside the bedsheets. Just as he was about to close his eyes for a few minutes of sleeping in, the phone went off.

Ring. Ring.

 

“Alright, alright,” he gave in and grabbed the phone. “Who is it?”

“Hyung? Are you still in bed?” the caller asked. “Did you forget that we have an orientation this morning?”

Hakyeon let out another yawn.

“I didn’t forget, I remember. I just wanted to sleep in a bit. You’re seriously persistent Hyogi-ah, are you my mom or something?”

“Well, wake up or else you’ll be late. All the teachers are supposed to be gathered at school by eight. So you better get up quick.”

“I got it. See you later I guess.”

Sanghyuk’s phone call completely woke him up. Hakyeon let up a sigh.

It was just another one of those usual mornings as well as a start of a new semester.

He looked at the calendar he hung up in his room.

“Winter break was too short,” he grumbled.

He let out a lazy stretch and headed straight to the bathroom. After a quick shower and washing up, he went into the kitchen to look for breakfast. As he opened his refrigerator, he realized just how empty it was becoming.

“I seriously need to do some grocery shopping,” he sighed. But as he thought about it again and the few digits in his bank account, he gave up on that thought. “Maybe not.”

He took out a piece of bread he found inside of his pantry and poured himself a glass of milk. That was all he could offer himself for food, at least until he gets paid.

After breakfast, he went through his closet to see what to wear for the first day of a new semester. As per usual though, he only had the same suits and dress shirts for work. He thought about buying a new set of clothes for work but gave up that idea immediately. What’s more important? Food or clothes?

He quickly slipped into his work clothes and grabbed his bag to leave his apartment.

As he was locking his doors, the landlady came by to greet him.

“Good morning, Hakyeon-ah. Going to work?” she asked.

“Good morning to you too ma’am. Yes, I’m going to work right now. It’s the first day of the new semester,” he told her.

“You must be excited. Come over for dinner one night? My husband and I really miss having you over,” she said.

“I…” he debated for a second. “I’d love to.”

He was going to refuse at first but he knew it would only be polite to accept her kindness. After all, she’s been looking out for him ever since he moved into his apartment.

As they finished their casual greetings and Hakyeon was walking away from his door, he glanced at the empty doorplate next to his apartment.

“Is there still no one renting this place?” he asked the landlady.

“Yeah. No luck still,” she sighed. “I wonder why no one wants it. All the other units have been sold the moment they get released but this one have been unoccupied for so long. It’d be nice if someone would just buy it so you wouldn’t have to feel so lonely without a next door neighbor.”

“Haha, I’m alright. It’s nice and quiet anyways. It’d be worst if someone loud was to rent out that room,” Hakyeon joked. “I think one of my co-workers might be interested in renting the place though. I’ll ask him about it later at work.”

“Sure!”

After Hakyeon’s conversation with the landlady, he rushed down to his bike and rode all the way to his school. Along the way, his neighbors greeted him without failure and with much kindness.

“Good morning!” the laundry mat owner said.

“Morning hyung!” the kid from down the street bowed politely.

“Morning, Hakyeon-ah,” the baker waved.

Everyone was so kind, just like the usual.

After about twenty minutes on his bike, he finally reached his school. He looked at his watch and sighed in relief to realize he was actually earlier than expected. There was no need to rush after all. Maybe Sanghyuk’s persistent call in the morning worked out after all?

“Morning, hyung,” Sanghyuk said as soon a he saw Hakyeon walk into the teacher’s lounge.

“Morning,” Hakyeon greeted back.

“Morning Hakyeonie,” Minhyuk wrapped his arms around Hakyeon’s shoulders.

“Morning,” Eunji said as well.

“Start of a new semester huh? Excited?” Minhyuk asked.

“A bit? Not sure. The break was just so short,” Hakyeon sighed.

“Agreed. Wish we had more time.”

“So you can slack off more?” Eunji teased.

After the hour-long orientation, Hakyeon made his way to his assigned homeroom to greet his new students.

“By the way, Hyogi-ah, the apartment next to mine is still empty. Didn’t you say you were looking for a new place to stay?” Hakyeon said as the two walked down the corridors.

“Yeah, I’m still looking. Do you think I can come by to check the place out?” Sanghyuk asked.

“I can ask our landlady and arrange a time for you if you want me to.”

“Sure, that’ll be really helpful,” Sanghyuk smiled gratefully. “Anyways, I’ll see you later after class, hyung.”

“See you!”

School was over. Work finally ended and Hakyeon could finally return home.

Hakyeon went straight home after work since there wasn’t much to do on the first day of classes aside from remembering all his students’ names and faces. As he rode back through his neighborhood, he decided to drop by the convenient store to grab a cheap instant dinner.

He didn’t know how or why but as he rode around the narrow streets, he found himself going through a detour and ended up at a rather secluded part of the neighborhood.

Right around the corner is an empty building. The building where a previous convenient store was located. It was such a secluded part of the neighborhood that nowhere really passes by anymore and the building have been vacant for as long as Hakyeon could remember it. Still, the building wasn’t sold. The nameplate was still empty and wooden boards were stapled around the windows.

“Still empty huh?” Hakyeon said. “Oh well, not my business anyways.”

He turned his bike around and decided to head home instead. Dinner was waiting for him.

The day was just like the usual There was nothing out of place in particular and Hakyeon’s life was just like the usual.

Waking up, going to work and go back home to sleep.

But he’s forgotten.

He doesn’t know that he’s forgotten but he did.

What exactly did he forget though? Who did he forget? How can he remember that he forgot anything at all if he doesn’t recall forgetting in the first place?

Even though we know he’s forgotten, he doesn’t know he did at all.

After all, he’s just the protagonist of another story.

 

 

A/N: Just to say, I've safely reached Tokyo but still in the midst of settling down so updates are going to be slow especially once work starts. But I promise it'll be worth the wait.