How It Began

(NBin) unWRITTEN

[CHAPTER 14]

“ How It Began “

 

 

Hakyeon invited Hongbin in after the fireworks. He took a deep breath but decided it was best that he talked with the younger regarding everything there is to know about him.

“You can take your time you know that? I can wait,” Hongbin saw the older fidgeting nervously with his fingers.

Hakyeon shook his head and insisted.

He got up from the sofa and went to his room to get something. As he came out, he took the photo that was sitting on his bookshelf with him.

“I want to tell you about this… about him,” Hakyeon swallowed hard but he knew he had to do the right thing. “He’s… he was my ex-boyfriend. My first love back when I was living in Changwon.”

I know… Hongbin thought to himself but decided to listen to Hakyeon’s story anyways.

“Boyfriend?” Hongbin decided to play along.

Hakyeon nodded.

“I’m the youngest of three, with an older brother and older sister back in Changwon…”

Hakyeon was born and raised in Changwon for as long as he knew it. He was the youngest in his family and his family doted on him dearly. He was filial son who loved and cared for his family. He does even now but everything changed while he was in the second year of high school.

He’s always been a hard worker and top student. He had nothing in mind except to work hard for his future and repay his parents’ kindness. But as Hakyeon continued his studies, he began to stray a bit from his path as he watched his classmates have fun with friends after school unlike him who would be spending his time in the library. Though he had friends, he was still lonely.

It wasn’t until one day, his eyes were caught onto by a certain tune in the school music room.

As he was passing by, a beautiful song captured his attention. His feet automatically followed the sound to see who it was that was playing the song. That was the day when Hakyeon met that person. The person changed his life and became his first love.

 

* * * * * *

 

Hakyeon looked at Hongbin who sat quietly next to him and listening to his story. He bit his lips a bit before he found more courage to continue. He carefully took the photo out of the frame and handed it to Hongbin.

Hongbin took the photo in his hands to see Hakyeon with another man, the older’s first love, smiling happily together by the sea.

“You looked really happy,” Hongbin commented.

“I-I was,” Hakyeon admitted. “I really thought that that was the happiest time of my life and I never wanted anything more.”

Hongbin smiled sympathetically towards the older who looked sad and guilty at the same time. After all, he was revealing his story of a past love to his current one. Hongbin ruffled the older’s hair to reassure him that he was fine.

As Hongbin looked much more carefully at the photo, he turned towards the back of the picture.

2012.06.30

By the Jeju seas, Cha Hakyeon and…

Jung Taekwoon.

 

* * * * * *

 

“Who are you?” the boy sitting by the piano asked in cold stern eyes as Hakyeon intruded his tune.

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt you. I was just wondering who was playing the song,” Hakyeon stuttered.

The boy didn’t say a word.

“You’re really good and the song is really beautiful!” Hakyeon wanted to compliment the pianist since he felt guilty for interrupting the session.

The boy blushed a bit but smiled at the unexpected compliment.

“Thanks,” he said in a very quiet voice.

“My name is Cha Hakyeon, I’m a second year,” Hakyeon decided to take on the more friendlier approach and introduced himself. “What’s your name?”

“Jung… Taekwoon,” he said hesitantly. “I’m also a second year.”

That’s when it all began.

Hakyeon and Taekwoon became friends even though they were quite awkward with one another. It could have been that Hakyeon’s friendship was one-sided but Taekwoon didn’t shut him out either. From that day on, Hakyeon would sit on the sofa by the piano to listen to Taekwoon playing while he studied. It was much better than the silence of the library and Hakyeon felt it more pleasing to be studying to a beautiful song.

“What are your goals for the future?” Taekwoon asked him one day.

“A teacher! I’ve always wanted to be one.”

“Why?”

“I’m not really sure but isn’t it wonderful to be able to teach others what you know and help them see or expand their world? I read a lot right and I feel like I could learn so much from those books. That’s why I want to be able to teach others what I’ve learned and help them.”

Taekwoon smiled and caressed Hakyeon’s cheeks causing the latter to blush a bit. Taekwoon was cold on the outside but deep down, his heart was warm and caring. It made Hakyeon’s heart beat unknowingly each time he received even a little of Taekwoon’s affections.

But Hakyeon never thought that he would actually fall in love. Especially not with a man.

He’s always had dreams of a normal and loving family with a life and two children, a daughter and a son. However, after meeting Taekwoon, that dream became altered. It changed.

Yet, he knew very well how unaccepting the world would be if he were to fall in love with another man. It was forbidden.

Hakyeon tried to distant himself a bit from Taekwoon in order for him not to be caught. But each step he took back, Taekwoon approached him even more.

“Be my lover,” Taekwoon was the first to propose.

“W-what? I-I’m a man you know that right?” Hakyeon felt so nervous that his voice was shaking uncontrollably.

“So?”

“It’s wrong. It’s impossible.”

“It isn’t. As long as you want something badly enough, anything is possible.”

And just like that, Hakyeon gave in to his feelings. He knew clearly what was right and what was wrong yet he didn’t care.

The two of them went out for two full years of their high school without any problems. No one in school knew about it and they were rather lowkey about their relationship in front of others. In case, unnecessary rumors start to spur. But as the two were getting ready for their graduation and the next step to their lives, Hakyeon was caught by his family red-handed.

He really thought that his family would continue to love and support him like they always had. But he was wrong. Not only did they not accept Hakyeon’s relationship with another man, but they tried multiple times to prevent Hakyeon from meeting Taekwoon. They tried to force Hakyeon to break up with Taekwoon and even forced potential marriage partners for Hakyeon.

“I don’t want it! I only love Taekwoon and Taekwoon only!” Hakyeon shouted one day.

Smack!

That was the day where Hakyeon felt the harsh sting across his cheeks. His face was burning and the pain grew both from his father’s slap and the betrayed feeling he felt inside.

His family was no longer there by his side to support him and his decisions. He had nowhere to go and only seek for a place to hide.

“Live with me instead,” Taekwoon said.

With no other place to go and having no other choice, the two of them began to live with one another. Hakyeon was rather content with it especially because Taekwoon really took care of him. In order for Hakyeon to continue his dreams as a teacher, Taekwoon decided to take on several part time jobs so that his beloved would be able to attend college. Hakyeon was very thankful for Taekwoon and vowed that he had to make it through all the way.

 

* * * * * *

 

Cough. Cough.

“Are you okay?” Hakyeon asked.

“Yeah, don’t worry about me. How was class today?” Taekwoon asked back.

“It was great! We’ve been working on this project for teaching the class and practicing our skills too. It was very interesting and fun.”

“It sounds like a lot of fun,” Taekwoon smiled weakly.

As Hakyeon was busy with his studies, Taekwoon was just as busy with his jobs. He had to work for the both of their sakes and the tuition for Hakyeon’s college was hefty. Even Hakyeon felt sorry about making the latter do that for him. He’s suggested to find a part time job as well but Taekwoon insisted that Hakyeon focus on studying instead.

“Are you really okay? Your face is pale…” Hakyeon worried.

Taekwoon nodded with as much energy as he could.

The two of them really thought they would be happy as long as they have each other but even from time to time, Hakyeon would think about his family or pass by his house to reminiscence. He wanted to reconcile and talk it out with his family but he had too many failed attempts to begin hoping for any more. He was thrown away.

About three years into his studies, Taekwoon’s condition became worst. It wasn’t just the simple fatigues or sleepless nights he was experiencing but now, it was constant headaches and chest pains.

As Hakyeon returned home from school one day, he found Taekwoon collapsed on the floor, motionless.

“Taekwoon-ah!! Are you okay? Answer me!” Hakyeon shouted in panic as tears fell from his eyes.

Taekwoon was immediately rushed to the hospital and eventually, it was revealed that he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Hakyeon fell in despair as he watched Taekwoon grow skinnier and skinnier by the day.

He decided to take time off of college in order to spend his days helping Taekwoon.

“I’m fine,” Taekwoon said.

Hakyeon didn’t listen because he knew the latter was definitely not fine.

Eventually, in order to pay for the medical bills and Taekwoon’s treatment, Hakyeon had to look for jobs himself. He worked as hard as he could for every penny he could earn to help Taekwoon’s condition but still, nothing changed.

“You look tired, hyung,” Sanghyuk said.

Sanghyuk was still in high school at the time but he knew of Hakyeon’s situation with Taekwoon. He wanted to help as well but he was still too young to support even himself. He helped Hakyeon visit Taekwoon from time to time at the hospital as well whenever he got off school so he’s seen how much these two lovers were going through.

Then, spring arrived at took him away.

 

* * * * * *

 

Hakyeon eventually lost everything and everyone he cared for. He really had nowhere to go this time and he no longer knew why he was working so hard for anything.

“Are you really just going to put Taekwoon-hyung’s effort to waste?” Sanghyuk asked one day. “How long do you plan on hiding and crying? Don’t you feel bad for Taekwoon-hyung who’s worked so hard for you to finish college to achieve your dreams?”

The younger was right.

And it took Hakyeon a long time to get back on his feet. It wasn’t so that he was going to forget everything regarding to Taekwoon and in fact, the latter was too precious for him to even forget. But he definitely didn’t want to waste Taekwoon’s hard work and efforts. He eventually went back to finish his last year of college and transferred his school credits from Changwon to Gwangju.

Though Hakyeon couldn’t forget about Taekwoon, he still wanted to forget about the place where nothing but sorrows remained. He left them all behind for a brand-new start.

He got through his practicum and even landed a job as a full-time teacher at a renowned high school in Gwangju. He was well loved by his coworkers and his students. His neighbors were friendly and caring towards the single man living alone in a foreign city. But Hakyeon could not expose his heart. He was afraid of letting others inside. He was afraid of losing people again and so, he closed his heart away from other people. Just so that he wouldn’t end up hurting others.

At least, that’s what he wanted for the longest time until he fell in love once more.

 

* * * * * *

 

Hakyeon was holding back his tears from falling as he recalled his story.

It might not have been anything spectacular or even heart-breaking enough for some, but to Hakyeon, it was his life. He once thought he had everything until everything turned its back on him. He thought he lost it all until Hongbin found him amongst the darkness.

Hongbin gripped tightly on Hakyeon’s trembling hands and remained silently by his side.

He’s read Hakyeon’s story so many times and it had never once made him think that it was a heart-wrenching life as the story says. But somehow, as he heard the story once more from the protagonist, himself, even Hongbin felt the pain that Hakyeon must have went through alone.

“I’m sorry. I should have told you about me much earlier,” Hakyeon apologized.

“You don’t have to be sorry. It’s not your fault. None of it is your fault so you shouldn’t be blaming yourself,” Hongbin comforted the older.

“But I…”

“No.”

Hongbin stopped Hakyeon from continuing and shook his head in disagreement.

“Listen to me, Hakyeon-ah. That person loved you, that’s why he did everything he could for you. And you would have done just the same for him if you were in his stance. It only means that the two of you really love one another. You’re willing to sacrifice everything for one another. Nothing is your fault and it should not be anyone’s fault. If it is anyone’s fault, then… you can blame it on fate. They’re the ones who made your life this way,” Hongbin clenched his fist.

Why did you have to steal everything from him away? Why do you have to make his story out to the way it is now? Why would you make him cry? What exactly is it that you guys want from him? Hongbin asked in his head as he thought about the three Goddesses of Fate back home. Why is he the only one without a future?

Fate is cruel and Hongbin finally understood it.

As jealous and even envious as he was, hearing about Hakyeon’s past love, he was able to understand why Taekwoon would go to such extent for his loved one. Because, Hongbin also fell in love.

Hakyeon is Hongbin’s first love.

And through their relationship, Hongbin learned so much about the older and about his feelings then he would ever have back home. Hongbin who has shut himself out from the world since the beginning, was starting to see the world for what it is thanks to Hakyeon.

Hakyeon who hid himself into the darkness from the world after losing his light, was brought back to life because of his encounter with Hongbin.

“I really love you, I really do,” Hakyeon said through his tears and thankful to have met the younger.

“I know. I do too.”

Hongbin leaned in and gave Hakyeon a kiss of comfort. The warmth and love they felt was real. The happiness they have right now, having one another by each other’s side was also real. Unknowingly, Hongbin’s tears fell as he thought about the current happiness he gained from meeting Hakyeon. 

 

 

A/N: Btw, I've been reading up everyone's thoughts/predictions for this story and it's really interesting. Although most of you got the Taekwoon part right, there's still a lot more I have yet to reveal for this story. So keep your predictions coming as I try to keep this story going :) I just hope I don't bore you guys since I know parts of my stories can get a bit lame *sigh*