Chapter 7

THE ROAD TAKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Not much changes can be seen in Sunny. They haven't met for years but the girl is the same Sunny. Her hair is now a short bob that accentuate her chin and lips even more. Her body is fuller, her poise is getting way more elegant, but her eyes still spark that concern she used to serve when she saw YoonA.

Seeing Sunny makes YoonA misses those old friendship. A time  when she can easily pour her heartache to her bestfiend.

Sooyoung grows up a little differently than what YoonA have always been thought she would be. A woman with distinct dash of aristocracy hides that fun, witty Sooyoung YoonA used to know. The thing YoonA notices the most from Sooyoung is the engagement ring sitting nicely on he ring finger. Diamond, shines so bright in YoonA's gloomy living room.

“Hi, it's been a while.” Awkwardly, Sooyoung smiles while tucking a strand of long hair behind her ear.

“It has.” YoonA chooses to stand by the TV. The couch only has one narrow space left now both Sunny and Sooyoung are sitting on it. That and YoonA also wants to keep her distance from them, just like she does for the past few years.

“How are you doing?” Sunny smiles.

“I'm good.”Catching Sunny sweeping a look at the living room, YoonA feels her self-esteem drop a mile. Unlike her, these two guesses are clearly used to live in light and glitters. A world out of reach which YoonA knows she doesn't want to collide with her reality.

Sunny glances at Sooyoung. The latter then looks at YoonA before looking back at Sunny who then also looks at YoonA.

Something is wrong. YoonA can feel it. She glances at Sooyoung's ring again. Wild guess tugs at her heart. Crazy scenario appears.

What if Sooyoung is engaged to Seungri?

“Ummm... YoonA, I'm sorry but...” Sooyoung starts, fidgeting with her ring. “I need to talk to you about something. About your child with Seungri.”

That's it. Her biggest fear comes into shape. YoonA walks for the door, opening it wide. “Please leave.”

“YoonA, we-”

“My child has gone. ” YoonA spits the words as cold as she can. The lie tastes like acid in . Tears nearly fall from her eyes because she doesn't want her words to become reality, ever. “Not Seungri, not her mother, not you guys can bother my son anymore. So leave. Now.”

“But-”

“Leave. Let my son rest in peace.”

“Yoong.” Sunny stands up, walking to YoonA locking their eye-contact. “You are a terrible liar.”

“What? I-”

Sunny touches YoonA's arm, then, as natural as it was when they were still high-school best friends, she hugs YoonA. She hugs her tight, giving reassurance without saying a single word.

Words halted in YoonA's chest. It has been a while since someone tries to make her feel safe. It has been awhile since she lets her facade falls. Invisible needles prick her eyes, YoonA can't contain her tears anymore.

YoonA cries and Sunny hugs her even tighter.

“It's okay, Yoong. We're here to help.” Sunny leads YoonA to sit on the couch. “You can trust us.”

YoonA nods, wiping her tears.

“So your son, where is he?” Sooyoung asks after a moment, glancing around.

“He's not with me. I gave him up.”

Shock registers on Sunny's face but she soon recovers, holding YoonA hand. “Do you know where he is at the moment?”

“I know. But I'm not telling anyone.”

“Okay.” Sunny sighs. “Sooyoung here has something to tell you.”

YoonA turns at Sooyoung, silently hoping there won't be any more bad news coming.

“First, please accept my apology." Sooyoung her lips, looking down. "I was so dumb and selfish eight years ago. I tried to find you once I knew you... you know...but it was too late. Sunny said you ran away, that you requested to be left alone.”

YoonA nods. Amidst the stress of having a child out of wedlock, being expelled from the university, and losing her father, YoonA had made a lot of sudden decisions eight years ago. One of them being shutting all her friends out. The distance created between them, is all YoonA's fault. She ran away, even when Sunny tried her best to help.

“I actually found you some years ago.” Sunny tightens her hold of YoonA's hand. “A friend talked about this amazing restaurant in this city so I decided to give it a try. I saw you, a chef who talked to her customer about the served dish. You look happy, laughing and all, so I guessed you wouldn't anyone from your past to just show off.”

“But occasion arises. Today I attended Seungri's funeral. Today I heard a story from Sooyung. A story so terrible I think we should let you know.” Sunny glances at Sooyoung.

“I've got engaged to one of Seungri's cousin.” Sooyoung fidgets with her rings again, smiling a little. “My man is kind but that family as a whole is a total mess, Yoong. Most of them just care about money, money and more money.”

“There has been a long-time feud about who should inherit all the Lee's fortune. Now that Seungri has gone, the feud reaches its . Seungri's uncle claims that all the Lee's businesses should go to his hands. Seungri's mother says it's hers because it was her and Seungri's late father who have worked hard for it.”

YoonA can see where the conversation is going now. She sighs, closing her eyes.

“Seungri's uncle has the upper hand because bloodline wins. That's how the law works here. Until this morning, at the funeral, Seungri's mother claimed that Seungri actually has a son. That her grandchild has the right to acquire everything.”

"It was a chaos, at the funeral." Sunny adds. "The two parties were throwing accusations, threatening each other. Knowing Seungri's mother, we both think she will use your son to get her hands on the inheritance."

“While the fortune might be good for your son, I have to say that the process to get it will be messy, Yoong." With worried eyes, Sooyoung stares at YoonA. "Two of Seungri's mother's trusted men suspiciously involved in a car accident shortly after one of Seungri's uncle's sons died. Issues going around about how Seungri's illness was actually orchestrated by his uncle. These people are willing to kill for money, it's not even a secret anymore."

"If your son is still alive, I suggest you to keep him away from this. Even Seungri's mother can't be trusted, Yoong."

In utter shock, YoonA stares at Sooyoung. “How can I keep my son safe? How... Help me...”

“By keeping his identity hidden.” Sunny holds YoonA by the shoulder. “At least for a while.”

YoonA glances at the bedroom. With this current situation, how will she bring Kai here?

“Don't even tell us where your son is, Yoong.” Sunny makes the suggestion as she put her hand around YoonA. “Just keep him safe. Sooyoung and I, we'll see what we can do to get you and your son out of this.”

“Yes.” Sooyoung also put her hand around YoonA. “My fiancee and some family members who are rational enough are trying to sort this issue at the moment. Hopefully things will get better.”

Somehow it feels a little safer now that YoonA has friends who understand the situation. Friends who are willing to help. They share phone numbers and a few minutes of small talk before both Sunny and Sooyoung leave.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter