Chapter 2

THE ROAD TAKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her old flip-phone beeps incessantly. It has been a week and YoonA is tired of the disturbance. She wants to turn off the phone but afraid of missing any call from her father. The old man is working, driving his truck across the country as a job.

So YoonA turns off the notification instead, completely aware that there are nearly fifty new messages for her along with a few missed calls. All from a few different numbers but Yoona has a good guess that there's only one person behind them.

She rubs her eyes. The writing on the book she reads is getting a little blurry and she knows it's time to hit the hay. Yet, she feels like she hasn't study enough. There are so much to read, plenty of things to learn. She doesn't want to be behind on her study, afraid of putting her scholarship at risk.

Of course human's body has its limit. After a few more minutes, YoonA nods off over the table, nearly hitting her forehead on the open book. While covering another huge yawn with a hand, she hears the door creaks open.

No need to guess who it is. Turning around on her chair, Yoona cross her arms, waiting for the conflict.

“I'm hungry.” Jonghyun's face comes to her field of view, looking haggard and all. “Where's your father?”

“Appa is working, driving to Busan tonight.”

“I'm hungry.” The boy, four years younger than YoonA, leans on the door jamb.

“I think there's kimchi and bread in the fridge. You can warm-”

“You do it.” Without any more word Jonghyun leaves the room.

YoonA sighs. After all these years she still doesn't really know how to waltz around Jonghyun. With the spare strength she musters out of respect to her father, YoonA heads to the kitchen.

Her sleepiness dissipates a little as she open the fridge. YoonA loves food. YoonA loves to cook. Instead of warming up meal, she decides to get a little creative. Cutting the bread into little squares, she makes croutons to go with the kimchi that she cooks into soup with the chicken broth.

Jonghyun comes to the kitchen a while later, looking decent now he has showered and changed into clean clothes. YoonA cleans the kitchen quietly, sometimes throwing a glance at Jonghyun.

He always looks like a lost boy, rude yet seems so fragile at times. Sometimes YoonA pities Jonghyun for being so young yet leading such a messy life. Sometimes she hates him for being a burden to her father.

They share no blood relation. Jongyun comes with the woman YoonA's father married eleven years ago. The woman that has inflicted so many pain both to YoonA and YoonA's father before she disappeared.

“Don't stare at me like that.”

“Sorry.” YoonA turns around, wiping the surface of the gas stove clean before washing her hands.

“I need money.”

“Huh?”

“Money. Did your father leave any? Give me some?”

It has been ages since YoonA felt bothered about Jonghyun who refuses to address her father as his father. The old man has done nothing but taking care of Jonghyun with love since his mother left three years ago. Her father deserves respect and YoonA is more than willing to remind Jonghyun about that fact. 

She turns around but words get trapped in when she sees Jonghyun eats the simple dish like he hasn't eaten for days.​​​​​​ “Appa left a little for food. How much do you need?”

“Fifty thousands.”

“That's a lot.”

“I need it by tomorrow morning.”

“I don't have that much.”

“Don't lie.”

“Appa left me twenty five thousands for six days. That's all.”

“I'll take it.”

“Then how will I eat? I need money for bus fare and other stuffs too.”

“Borrow from your rich friends. I'll pay it back, with interest. There's this opportunity that will earn me big money.”

“Jonghyun, you are fifteen. What kind of opportunity that you are talking about?” YoonA faces the young boy again.

She won't back down this time. She has a plan of using the money as little as possible so she can add some to her saving. There are these textbooks she really needs to buy before exam. She can't let Jonghyun takes all the money.

“Why are you like this? You and your father are always like this! I'm not a little kid anymore! I can do stuffs. I can earn money too!”

“How?” With her arms crossed on her chest, YoonA stares the boy down.

“I said I can do stuffs!”

“What stuffs? Hanging out with your drunken friends? Smoking? Getting kicked out of school?” No matter how YoonA tries to be calm, her heart races. There's sudden dizziness too, probably because all of the tension and the lack of sleep.

“Shut up!” Jonghyun slaps his chopsticks down the table before storming for his room.

YoonA doesn't even try to say anything. With a heavy heart, she cleans the table then heads to her bedroom. Her phone shows more messages coming in. She just ignores it and reach into her bag. From her purse, she takes out ten thousand wons and put the money on the table under the tiny vase of mini cactus. She'll give the money to Jonghyun tomorrow morning. They are still siblings anyway, live under the wings of her beloved father.

Before going to bed, YoonA reaches for her phone to recheck the alarm. Her eyes catch the sender of all those messages and she feels even more uneasy.

Seungri.

Sighing, YoonA deletes all the messages before returning the phone to the table. She has to wake up early in the morning. She doesn't need all this mess disturbing her precious sleep. Lying under the blanket, YoonA prays for a better tomorrow.

YoonA wakes up to a nightmare turns into reality though. The money under the vase has gone. Her bag is open, so she checks her purse in fear. There's not even a single won left in it.

A chill runs down her spine as she looks up at the small closet by the bed. She keeps her whole saving there. The closet is wide open too. Her knees go weak as she sees the brown envelope where she has kept all her hard-earned money on the floor.

Gone. The ninety thousands wons are in the envelope no more. YoonA slips to the floor, trembling. She wants to scream in anger but feeling hot tears fall from the corner of her eyes instead.

“Jonghyun...” YoonA gets up, stumbling to Jonghyun's room. Of course the boy is not there. Only messy bed and dirty clothes on the floor. She hears the lock clicks and immediately run to the front door.

“Jonghyun!”

The boy doesn't even look back, walking fast under the first ray of morning sun.

“Jonghyun! How could you do this to me?”

“You lied to me!” Jonghyun stops and turns. Under his black beanie, YoonA sees anger in the boy's squinted eyes.

“Please! It's my saving. I need the money to buy textbooks!”

The boy blinks. For a moment, YoonA thinks she sees regret in those eyes. But then, as if being lured by the devil himself, Jonghyun runs. He runs so fast without looking back, leaving YoonA sobbing in utter despair.

YoonA comes late to Professor Jung's class. Drying tears from her eyes and getting out of despair has taken her longer than expected. Those who pay attention will see that her eyes are swollen and red, but YoonA cares not. Her study is one of the few things that can uplift her mood and she's determined to attend the class until it ends.

Sunny waves four rows ahead. YoonA smiles, completely notice Sooyoung who doesn't even bother to look back. Taking a seat on the last row, YoonA tries to accept the fact that the tall girl is still mad at her. One more reason for YoonA to feel uneasy.

“For you.” Someone sits on the chair beside her after dropping a phone onto her lap. The latest iPhone, shiny and new judging from the safety film still covering its screen. YoonA doesn't need to turn her head to see who dropped the device.

Lee Seungri.

“I already have a phone.” She whispers.

“It's not broken?”

She shakes her head, starting to take note as professor Jung keeps going with his lecture.

“Then why didn't you reply my messages or pick up my calls.”

YoonA sighs, closing her eyes for a brief moment. “Please, senior. I need to study.”

“Me too. Professor Jung's subject is my favorite. Nothing can be as interesting as Cell Biology. All those magics of life happen in microscopical size.”

“Then let's stop talking and pay attention instead.”

“Only If you promise you'll have a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter