Chapter 9

THE ROAD TAKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On the otherwise silent dawn, the helicopter's blades whirl noisily as the vehicle takes off. YoonA watches from where she's standing in the balcony, hugging herself as she tries her hardest to comprehend.

A few hours ago, she had boarded the helicopter per Changwook's instruction. Now, she's in another mansion, with her son lying unconsciously on the spacious bed in the room behind her.

Where she is right now, YoonA has no idea. It was pitch black when they took the helicopter ride. Why she's here, YoonA doesn't really care. All she cares about is how to stop this madness.

She definitely wants to get out of this tangled mess. She just has no clue how.

“It's cold outside, come in.”

Turning around, her eyes sees Changwook's hesitant smile. Since they arrived, Changwook has been doing everything in his power to makes YoonA feels safe, including a set of doctors and nurses taking care of Kai as soon as the gurney that carry the boy landed on the roof. For that, she knows she should at least try to smile back.

She can't. His smile can't erase the many questions ringing in her head. His smile can undo all the hurt and confusion..

“You okay?” He asks, coming to her side.

“I will be.” YoonA turns around to hold the railing. Now that the dawn start to break, she can see the water in the lake below ripples. “Where are we?”

“My late grandfather's property.”

“Is that hospital his property too?” She points at the tall building across the lake. A bright red sign that read Lee's Children Hospital glares at them.

“Yes.”

“So you are a Lee then?” YoonA gulps.

“Partially.” Changwook's smile is a wan one as he throws a gaze at the building.

“You and Seungri.....”

“It's a long story, Yoong.” Somehow, his hand ends up around her shoulder. Somehow, she lets it be. “We'll talk about it later. Right now. You need to rest. A good sleep.”

“I don't... I wan't...” She glances up at Changwook, afraid, confused, and tired. “Just... just don't hurt Kai.”

“YoonA...”

“Whatever it is going on with your family, please let my son stay out of it.” A gush of wind blows from the lake, sending biting cold through the thin layer of YoonA's shirt. “Promise me you will let us go as soon as Kai is ready to.”

“I can't let you go, YoonA. Not like this.”

“Please....” She begs now, nearly falls into tears again. “Tell your family to sort it out among themselves. Tell them to stay away from my son. Don't-”

Tears fall. She can't help the frustration inside from sruging. Even when she uses both hands to cover her face, the drops refuse not stop.

“Ssshhhhh.” He hugs her. Affectionately envelops her in a hug and uses his coat to shield her from cold. As if he has been doing it for years. As if it's his responsibility to make sure that Yoona feels better. “I will sort things out. I promise.”

“You... how...?”

“I promise, okay?” He pulls her against his body, hugging her tight. “I promise everything will be alright. Just trust me.”

All of her muscles feel sore. Her peace of mind all over the place. YoonA has no choice but succumbing into Changwook's arms, into the safety his promise.

She closes her eyes, leaning her head on his chest, hoping that everything will turns out fine when she opens them again.

YoonA wakes up startled, looking to the right then to the left before realizing where she is.

Shaking her head, she inches closer to Kai who also lays on the bed. The boy is still sleeping, Peacefully so despite all the hassle they had gone through to get here. Carefully, YoonA rests her hand around Kai's waist, propping herself on elbow and watch the boy closely. Watching the rise and fall of Kai's chest somehow relaxes YoonA and she's just about to do it for the rest of the day when the little boy suddenly stirs in his sleep.

“Mommy.” Kai calls in his sleep. With heavy heart YoonA caresses the boy's head, shushing him back to sleep. It feels like a hard blow to the her heart, realizing it's not her figure Kai is looking for. It's not her name that Kai calls in his sleep.

She had this coming. She can't fix it. To Kai, there's only one mommy and YoonA, no matter how bad she wants to, will never be that person.

YoonA sighs, slowly getting up from the bed, thinking that she can at least try to be the person who protects Kai's tomorrow. She tightens the blanket around Kai's sleeping form. Carefully, YoonA does the thing she always want to do since years ago; kissing her son's forehead and wishes him a good sleep.

Her stomach grumbles and she pitifully realizes that she haven't eaten since yesterday. As if on cue, enticing smells come from outside the room. Her feet move almost on their own accord, taking step after step away from Kai until she arrives at the top of the stairway that connects the second floor to a very luxurious kitchen.

YoonA never feels so elated at seeing someone before. Downstairs, standing in front of a stove, is Changwook cooking pancake on a sizzling pan.

“Good morning.” Changwook, in dress pants and a white shirt, beams up at her. “Come down and have breakfast with me.”

In daze, YoonA can only watch Changwook skilfully moving the sizzling hot pancake on top of the stack he has made. He looks so good, so natural in the kitchen just like the way he is in the restaurant's kitchen. It reminds YoonA of how her everyday was before this mess. It reminds YoonA that yesterday, Changwook just a fellow chef to her, a co-worker.

And now, they are here, getting caught in the middle.

As if sensing her passiveness, Changwook turns off the stove then then climbs up to where YoonA is standing. “Come on down.”

YoonA stares at his proffered hand. Not sure of what to do.

“You can trust me, Yoong.” With a smile that seems so genuine, he takes YoonA's hand in his. Then, as if she was made of porcelain, he leads her down the stairs. A sense of comfort slowly settles in YoonA's heart. She follows him, watching his back wondering when was the last time someone treated her like this. Like she is so fragile and precious.

“Let's have breakfast before we share stories.” He offers while pulling a chair for her. An act of chivalry that makes YoonA's heart flutters. “Your son? Is he still asleep.”

YoonA nods, sitting down.

“Will pancake be okay for him?

Rubbing her arms, YoonA gazes up at the second floor. Trying to remember Kai's habits from Mr. Kang's list is hard when she can't even focus on what's actually going on with herself.

“Almond flake cereal.” YoonA whispers after a while, frustrated because all Kai's need is in his bag somewhere. “He has to have almond flake cereal before anything else.”

“What about chocolate cereal ?” Changwook rummages through the kitchen cabinet above his head. “I also have oreo ones here.”

“No.” YoonA bangs her head on the kitchen island. Tears nearly spill out once more because she doesn't want Kai to be disappointed once more. “Almond flake. It has to be almond flake. I had them with me, everything he needs. They are in his bag and I lost it somewhere.”

“Has to be almond flake, huh?” Changwook scratches his head. “We can be creative, you know? Cook him something fun.”

“I don't know.” YoonA looks up. “Kai. My son. He's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter