K.O. 18

Knocked Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

 

Amber couldn’t have been any happier when the younger girl agreed to go with her. It was almost, for her, the happiest birthday she had so far, if only her grandmother didn’t have to be in the hospital. Taking note of the time before sunset, she didn’t waste time and pedaled with a jolly heart and wide grin, with the younger girl behind her. It took them a while before finally reaching hilltop. When they arrived at the top of the hill, they were welcomed by the beautiful scenery of Amber’s hometown.

 

“It’s… beautiful!” Soojung exclaimed, as she looked around. There they were, seeing the small town from above, with some of the trees starting to change their colors as autumn already started. The fields full of different crops, organized into lines added to the beauty of the view.

 

“Yeah. It is indeed beautiful.” Amber said, pertaining, not only to the view in front of them, but also to the girl in front of her. Soojung then turned her head towards the tomboy, catching the latter’s gaze on her. There was a short pause, with only the chirping of birds and soft noise coming from the tractors from below ringing in the air. They locked their gazes for a while, trying to read each other’s minds through the eyes. It was the tomboy, who first broke the gaze and uttered, “… exceptionally beautiful, especially right now,” as she looked at the setting sun.

 

“Come, I’ll show you something.” The tomboy called, as she walked towards the lone tree in the middle of the hilltop. As they approached it, Soojung saw the ladder rope hanging on one of its branches.

 

“Is that a…”

 

“A tree house.” Amber completed. “My father and I built it before. The view from the tree house is superb! And it’s also quite cozy. The last time I was here was during Spring break.” Amber explained while looking up to the small structure made up of wood. “Let’s go up? You should go first. I’ll stay here just in case you fall for me, I’ll catch you.” Amber mumbled quickly.

 

“What?” Soojung asked in confusion, thinking that she heard it wrong.

 

“H-Huh? What? What did I say?” Amber said, playing innocent. Giving herself a pat on the back for a smooth line.

 

“N-Nothing.”

 

Reaching the tree house, Soojung was amazed with how cozy it looked. It can also accommodate 3-4 persons. There are also cushions on the floor for them to sit on. With the entrance facing the west, it is indeed perfect to watch the sunset from the tree house. She was soon joined by Amber and they both sat on the floor, watching the sun setting on the golden sky. The tomboy then played some soft music on her phone, adding up to the romantic mood inside the house.

 

As the sun was halfway into its setting, her heart nearly stopped when she felt a light weight on her shoulder. The younger girl just laid her head on her shoulder.

 

“This is nice… I like it.” The younger girl declared.

 

It took a while before the tomboy replied. And when she did, her heart was already beating rapidly.

 

“Yeah… This is nice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“And I like you.”

 

She finally said it. She really did. And she didn’t know if it’s the mood, or simply the fact that they are alone, but she did it smoothly. It’s not like she’s not expecting the younger girl to know about her feelings since the little incident the year before resurfaced again on KT group chats. There’s actually no more to hide. All she ever need is for it to come directly from her. And she’s prepared herself for all of the possible reactions that Soojung will have.

 

All… It includes being knocked out again by a roundhouse kick, or the girl avoiding her like a plague, or the girl pushing her down the tree house, or the girl laughing at her thinking that it’s a lame joke, or the girl pretending that she didn’t hear anything. She even thought of the possibility that the younger girl likes her back.

 

She prepared for everything that she could think of… well, almost everything. She didn’t expect the younger girl to lift her head from her shoulder, causing her to look at her. She didn’t see it coming how the black belter smiled sweetly and said, “It really took you quite a while… Am… ber,” intentionally leaving out the word ‘unnie.’ And Amber didn’t think that as the beautiful girl was about to open again to say something, her phone rang. Soojung picked up the phone to answer it, uttering the name that caused bitterness to Amber.

 

“Yes, Minhyuk oppa…? Oh, really? But why did they move the schedule…? I see.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter