Three

Lieutenant Do

"Hey Sargeant Seo, you look very happy. Did something happened?" Kyungsoo greets his comrade at the table, placing his tray beside his meal. 

"Ah, Lieutenant. It's nothing, something happened at home and I am very happy with it," he returns Kyungsoo smile with a bigger face-splitting grin, his cheeks tinged with pink. The other fellow who's sitting beside him, Kwanghee he read, coos at him when he turns redder. 

"His partner had given birth to a baby boy last night, sir," he quips, giggling at the poor blushing comrade. 

Kyungsoo let out a soft laugh. 

"Well, congrats to both you and your partner. Have you sent him a letter?" Since they can't use their mobile phone here and could only use the communication device provided at the camp, though it would be permitted to use it during their off-duty, they only could afford to send letters to their beloved one. Kyungsoo feels sorry for him though, he can't go home to see his newborn.

"Not yet, but I've given them a ring when they telegrammed me last night," he smiles, thankful that his higher-up cared about him.

"Good then. Maybe you should apply for special leave soon, so you can see them. He must miss you a lot," Kyungsoo encourages him, patting him on the back. 

"Alright sir, I'll do it later sir," he nods his head in appreciation. 

"Now, eat up. The good thing needs to be celebrated," Kyungsoo grins as he scoops his portion into the other man tray. 

"No sir," he tries to say no, but who is he to say such thing to his superior. 

 

 

Kyungsoo flops down on the bed, sighing when his back hits the soft mattress (that make him suffered from a backache a lot), mind totally blank until one thought comes to bother him. He looks down at his belly, wondering how it'll be if there's a baby in it before. His hand unconsciously moves to the spot, the place where a baby should be if he is still pregnant. Suddenly the door open and Captain Kim eases into the room, mirroring the same action as his earlier. 

"Tough day huh?" he greets, tucking his hand under his head. 

"Yeah. So much for an old man like me," he chuckles, hitting the pillow to fluff it before lying back again.

"Haha, not that old though. Not until you find yourself a partner, hyung," Kyungsoo laughs easily when his mate throws him a pillow. 

"So how are you now? Spent time with your family. Must be very fun," he catches the pillow thrown at him back, hugging it close to his chest. 

"Yeah, I did. But I miss here. I miss all of this," Kyungsoo smiles softly, fond of the memories he spent here. 

"Ahhh, I forgot. Of course, the best cadet in the academy and best soldier in rank. Promoted to Lieutenant in three years of service. You could even be promoted to a Captain you know," he brags. 

"Only if I didn't mess up. I was told that I was almost promoted, only if I didn't lead us into the trap," Kyungsoo stares at his hand longingly, regrets marred on his face. 

"I'm sorry," they stay silent for a while before Kyungsoo speaks up again. 

"Let's not dwell on it, shall we? Sleep well Captain. Tomorrow will be another hell,"

 

The camp is deserted though it just a small base but there's a quaint noise of human from the background making it less eery. Kyungsoo sits on one of the boulders, sipping his cup of milk tea while staring off in the distance. it's so peaceful here and Kyungsoo is just enjoying the silence. The sun is striking up in the sky but Kyungsoo doesn't mind the heat, it's nice and welcoming. He waves at the small group that greeted past him for the afternoon physical training, smiling at their enthusiasm. 

When it's silence again, Kyungsoo gazes on the horizon, wondering what the people out there are doing. What Baekhyun are doing right now. Then he realized, he never had this thought before. Thinking of the people out there during his time away from the normal civilian world. He doesn't get to taste that frequently but he never actually desired for it until he met Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun is a wonderful husband. Kyungsoo always feels bad because he can't spend that much time with him. He missed Baekhyun now. He's been busy training the newcomers and that takes a lot of his mind off the outside world but when he's alone, the thought still came back. Maybe he should've applied for a transfer. 

So deep in the thought, a young private greets him with nervousness and startled him out of his mind.

"Greeting sir, permission to speak sir!" he looks so nervous and it makes Kyungsoo chuckles internally.

"Yes, you may. What it is?" Kyungsoo eyes perk at the white parchment produced by the young private from his pocket. 

"A telegram sir. Sargeant Yoo asked me to pass it to you, sir," Kyungsoo nods and takes the paper from him. 

"What's your name again?"

"Private Il Junghyun, sir," his eyes is literally shining. 

"Thanks a lot, Junghyun-ah. You may proceed," Kyungsoo gives him his best smile and that private seems awestruck. 

"Yes, sir. Thank you sir," 

After the private gone, Kyungsoo walks toward towards the nearby shed and open the paper. It's a telegram and Kyungsoo expect it from his colleague but surprisingly it's from Baekhyun. He opens it with anticipation and almost turns red at the first word. 

'Miss you so much already, Kyungsoo. Why they don't fix a line there so I won't need to find a telegram to reach you. By the way, I'll be in Hong Kong starting tonight for 2 weeks conference. It's a boring conference, how I wish you can tag along. I love you Kyungsoo, see you.' 

Kyungsoo can literally hear Baekhyun from the telegram and rolls his eyes. He missed Baekhyun too. After tucking the paper away in his pocket, he walks to his section which already been waiting for him with a held back smile. He makes a mental note to reply back tonight but then Baekhyun won't be receiving it anyway, so he just dismiss the idea. 

 

 

 

a/n: sorry guys, i haven't been updating this fic for long time. a year passed huh? sorry. i ran out of idea on how to continue this au.