Extra + Ordinary

Extra + Ordinary

Yoongi was not a morning person.

In fact, it was safe to say he liked mornings as much as fire likes water.

Unfortunately, his university had decided to torture him by giving him 9am lectures 4 times a week.

So on those 4 mornings he'd wait till the absolute latest he could spend in bed, before dragging his body up and getting ready.

Then he'd spend a few moments deciding which tshirt was good enough to go another day without washing.

Once out of his dorm he heads straight for the universities' coffee shop.

He would argue with anyone who said he had a caffeine problem, but secretly he knew it was true.

But try as he might he couldn't hold any form of social interaction before he had three gulps of probably over sweetened coffee.

And even after those gulps it wasn't guaranteed he was willing to socially interact.

His life motto may have been something along the lines of 'don't mistake me speaking to you out of necessity for me actually wanting to talk to you'.

Or, put more simply, ' off'.

So yes, Yoongi hated mornings.

Anytime before 11am was considered a no-go area, and thankfully his friends knew and respected this.

But I'm sure you're sensing that something happened and changed Yoongi's views on mornings?

Or perhaps a fateful meeting one morning made him rediscover (or, more accurately, discover) his love of mornings?

Or maybe even a meeting in his local coffee shop sparked a connection that made his mornings more enjoyable?

I'm sorry to say you are all mistaken in thinking I would write anything quite so cliché.

On one particular morning, one where Yoongi lies in bed snoozing until 8:20am before rushing to get ready and get to class, nothing out of the ordinary happens.

He gets to the coffee shop with 5 minutes to spare before he would be considered late for the lecture.

He unpacks his tattered notebook, only half working pen, a grubby HB pencil (incase the pen decides to fully not work) and a pair of glasses.

(Which he refused to wear in any other situation except lectures, and occasionally the cinema, or in front of the tv at his parents but really it's not his fault people make screens so god damn far away).

The lecture starts and the whole class visibly droops from tiredness as the lecturer drones on about something or other.

Yoongi takes the odd note here and there, although this early in the day means he has very little control over what he writes.

So much so that he once looked over lecture notes the following day only to feel slightly worried at a quarter of a page just being filled with 'cold mashed potatoes' repeated in eerily neat hand writing.

(His friends had joked about him being in a strange version of The Shining, except the 'here's Johnny' scene gets replaced by Yoongi wielding a potato peeler).

The 2 hour lecture lasted roughly 5 hours.

Yoongi was out of the theatre before the tutor could say 'goodbye' and headed straight for the music department.

It was at this moment that something extra ordinary happened.

'Excuse me, but I think you took my notes by accident?'

The voice was lacking in confidence, slightly awkward, but what it lacked there it made up for in tone.

Deep, slightly husky, the type of voice middle aged mum's swoon over.

After processing the voice had in fact spoken to him, Yoongi looked up to find the face that presumably belonged to the voice.

(Unless the voice was a part of an overly polite demon possession).

It was a man, probably around his age (not uncommon since they both were in university) with unstyled floppy brown hair, dark eyes and plump lips.

There is always a presumption in stories that any observations made by the title character are done within several seconds, unfortunately in this case the moment lasted a few moments.

More than a few moments as the mans expression changed from expectant to confused to nervous.

Yoongi finally managed to process the screaming in his brain that was telling him to stop staring to finally say something.

Unfortunately, Yoongi hated mornings.

And since it was still 11:02am it counted as still morning so therefore Yoongi had no control over his bad social skills.

And that is not an excuse.

'Dinner?' His brain and mouth supplied before he could stop either.

The man's expression turned even more confused.

'Sorry?'

'- I meant 'date' Yoongi amended before shaking his head in a slightly flustered state. 'Dote' damnit 'notes? I meant to say what notes'

The man remained quiet for what felt like hours, looking at Yoongi like he was either amazing or insane (Yoongi had high bets he was thinking of the latter).

'...right notes um they um were on the desk next to you I mean the desk I was at but I think you um picked them up but you left too quick before I could... And they're um the I um...'

Yoongi felt slightly better at making a fool if himself as he watched the stranger grow pinker as his stuttering continued.

'Right um I'll check...' Yoongi pulled his bag open and began thumbing through the mess of crumpled papers.

Finally managing to locate that day's notes he flicked through his own bad hand writing before he came across a couple pages of a hand writing that wasn't his.

But was definitely worse.

'Um I think this is...' Yoongi trailed off and held out the slightly crinkled papers to the other man.

'Thanks!' He said too loudly, blushing a darker shade of pink.

He stuffed the papers into his own bag, which Yoongi noted was just as if not more messier than his.

The stranger stood up straighter (much to Yoongi's annoyance, making him live up to the 'short and angry stereotype') and glanced awkwardly at Yoongi.

'So um thanks I um sorry for-'

'Um sorry for the awkward-'

They both tried speaking at the same time causing them to giggle and look away like school girls.

(Not that grown men can't giggle, in fact this author encourages all men to embrace the giggle).

After that they part ways, both giving each other a small awkward wave and a small awkward 'bye'.

And to be quite honest Yoongi forgot about the whole ordeal for several weeks.

(You could argue that he actually thought about the stranger 2 times in that time, but I'm making the point that it was an ordinary event in an ordinary day that was altogether very ordinary).

It was exactly 2 weeks in fact, and Yoongi was just exciting the lecture to rush to the music department.

'Hey you dropped your....'

Yoongi turned round just before he got to the door: a wrong move.

An onslaught of eager-to-escape students barged into him causing him to feel very much like an animal going the wrong way and caught in a stampede.

The stranger from before was looking at Yoongi with a twinge of pity in his expression.

Once everyone had left and Yoongi looked like he's been dragged through, well, a lot of people.

(Writer admits use of another analogy there would make better reading but said writer doesn't care).

Yoongi attempts to half heartedly brush his clothes back into shape before looking up at the stranger.

'Did you want to um talk to me?' Yoongi asked in his best uninterested tone, although it lacked his usual finesse given he was still delirious from the crowd debacle.

'Yes I um you left this on your desk and I thought ...' He gestured to Yoongi's bag currently being held out towards him.

'Oh um yes that... I need that right?' Yoongi was unsure why he was asking questions, and even less sure as to why he kept acting like a fool in front of this guy.

'Probably' The man laughed and Yoongi noticed the dimples.

Yoongi laughed with him slightly nervously, still feeling like he was currently trapped inside one of said dimples.

Probably the left one.

'So um thanks for um' Yoongi reached for the bag as the stranger shoves the bag towards him.

In a totally not-cliché moment their hands clashed together slightly causing them both to jerk back and drop the bag between them with a clang (what even was in Yoongi's bag to make that sound though?).

They then both leaned down to pick it up causing in the banging their heads together, causing both to slump onto the floor.

' sorry'

'Omg I'm sorry'

They both say automatically, both rubbing at their own foreheads.

Yoongi quickly snatched up his bag before another collision would happen and stood up.

The man followed suit and they stood in silence for 5 minutes.

Or was it 0.2 seconds.

'Well I should um go thanks for...' Yoongi swung his bag out in front of himself precariously, frowning slightly as he could feel the beginnings of a headache coming.

'Right yes um' The stranger nodded at him, though neither made any move to leave.

'You two know there's a class waiting to come in here?'

They both spun around at the new voice in the doorway, as well as the 40 odd curious eyes peering to look at them,

Blushing and mumbling apologies they left together, rushing past the group of students.

Once out of ear and eye shot they looked at each other and laughed for real.

'God why do so many embarrassing things happen to me when you're around?' Yoongi asks between laughs.

The stranger splutters slightly before regaining his composure.

'I'm pretty sure it's because you like me' He teased, giving Yoongi a slight smirk.

'You're insane' Yoongi half deadpans, the blush on the tips of his ears and cheekbones only the things giving him away.

'Actually... I'm Namjoon' The stranger offered in a tone that would've been smooth if he hadn't hesitated.

'Yoongi' They shook each other's hands, neither saying anything of the clammy grips.

They stood in silence for a few seconds, Yoongi feeling gradually more and more uncomfortable under Namjoon's nervous gaze.

'Um so I should be goi-' Yoongi began, pulling his bag further up his shoulder.

'Lunch?' Namjoon blurted out before stammering. 'What I I mean is would you, that is to say would you like perhaps to, but I mean you don't have to say yes but I um lunch...'

Namjoon refused to make eye contact.

'Ok?' Yoongi tried to say definitely but it came out as more of a question.

'Ok?' Namjoon asked back, confused and expectant.

'Yes?' Yoongi silently cursed himself. 'Sorry, gotta stop saying things like they're questions... My answer is... Yes?'

'Yes?' Namjoon repeated, grinning widely at Yoongi.

'What is it 'repeat everything Yoongi says' day?' Yoongi said with mock annoyance.

'Ok um well we can go now although it's a bit early for lunch so maybe we wait unt-'

'Let's just go now it's never too early for lunch' Yoongi interrupts.

And so they went to lunch, which was certainly a very ordinary ordeal.

They spoke at the start in awkward spurts, ending in both either blushing or spluttering.

And this continued until roughly their 4th lunch 'date', where they managed to get the courage to extend the date to one at dinner.

'I'm sure you asked me on a date the first day we met you know?' Namjoon said thoughtfully between mouthfuls of food.

'No I was just... I don't like mornings' Yoongi retorted.

And this factor never changed, even in times when it becomes mandatory for people to get up in the mornings for work or babies or breakfast.

For all intents and purposes, they lived a perfectly extra ordinary life, fuelled by the extra ordinary (or extra awkward) events of those few days.

But I'll leave the rest to your imagination...