Final

Blue Tides

Hyun-ah,

By the time you receive this, I'm probably gone already. Please don't cry, I know how shallow your tears are. I know it's sad that we didn't see each other before I left, but remember that I didn't die in pain. That's all that matters right? We know that I'm old, and I have to rest at some point.

I know that you might blame yourself for leaving this small town, but it wasn't your fault. Your parents wanted a better life for you, and living in the city would make it come true. I've received your letters, dear child. And I'm so, so proud of you. You graduated with flying colors.

Hyun-ah, with this letter, you have received the title of our estate in this town. It is understandable that your father might throw a fit for not inheriting this property but, he doesn't love this place and the sea as much as you do. I don't want him to sell this place because this has a lot of memories. Our family's memories. And I'm leaving it in your hands.

I wish you long and healthy life. I hope you'll find your happiness, my child.

 

Love,

Grandma.

 

 

Two, three, then suddenly, five drops of saline beads of tears smudged the ink on the lavender-scented paper, blurring some scribbled words that Baekhyun's grandmother had written solely for him. On his way back to Jeju, with nothing but his things and his grandmother's last will and testament, he chose to read her parting letter. To think that he would not see her again brought him great sadness, as he probably loved his grandmother than his parents. Not that he didn't love them at all but, it was different. When his childhood without his busy folks was filled with her bed time stories and fresh warm, milk during breakfast.

Baekhyun sat back as he gazed down on the vast ocean. In a few hours, he'll be home again. But as much as he wanted to be happy, he couldn't. Maybe he should give himself time to recover--to accept and to overcome his grief.

Maybe he should just rest.

The property that his grandmother left him was a huge cream bungalow house built a few meters from the shore. Fencing it was a few trees, plants and bushes. Just before the main door was a kidney shaped pool--reserved for anyone who doesn't want to taste the saline body of water. Baekhyun missed the peaceful ambiance of this place. Back in the city, there's nothing but rush hours, deadlines and pedestrians. Here, he could just close his eyes and think about nothing, listening to the ripples of water nearby, and feel the cold breeze against his face.

 

Taking his luggage, Baekhyun entered the place he once called home. He thought he wouldn't be able to see this place again, but God heard his prayer. It was just sad that he didn't make it in time to see his grandmother.

Inside the house, it looked like nothing has changed over the years.

The wooden sets furniture was kept in good condition, shiny as it was since he was seven. The sofa set might have been replaced with a cushioned one and the carpets must have been changed, Baekhyun could still smell 'home' from this place. The family pictures displayed on the wall was one of the reasons why. It was arranged in a timely manner--from when Baekhyun was just a baby, then when he first learned to walk, the first time he learned how to swim. On the frames displayed on top of the grand piano, it was Baekhyun's teenage days and one of those held a precious place in his heart.

With sweating hands, he hesitantly reached out to it, tracing the image, reliving the old times. The picture was taken by the shore; two teenagers sprawled on the white sand, leaning on each other's heads and limbs tangled together. On their faces were some of those sands, but as unkempt and dirty as they appear to be, the smile on their faces is even brighter than the light that reflects the sea.

Baekhyun put the frame back before he could even reminisce over the not so happy part of those memories. Being one of the two guys in that picture, the image meant so much more than just a time from the past.

With a dejected sigh, he turned his back on it and decided to find his room. He has a long day ahead of him.

 

 

It was two hours later when he finished inside the house. He put his things in his old dresser, arranged his personal belongings in the night stand, and put the books by the shelves. He noticed that his grandma didn’t renovate his aside from the fact that the single sized was changed into a queen sized one. But what’s best from that room is that it faces the beach directly. If he will open the sliding door to his veranda, he would face the horizon and see the vast body of water.

It wouldn’t hurt to pay the shore a visit right?

 

Barefooted, Baekhyun walked towards the border line of sand and water. He spread his arms and let out a loud scream. “I will miss you grandma!” he said to the sea, tears prickling in the corner of his eyes. “I will take good care of our house!” With his nose getting stuffed, he began to sob. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you needed me, I’m sorry if I’m late but I won’t let you down this time. Okay?”

Little did Baekhyun know, that while his saline tears drop on the waves by his feet, there was a pair of longing eyes watching him from a distance.

 

The next day, he felt a little better. He began the day by taking a warm shower. When he went to the kitchen, deciding to cook breakfast, he was surprised that fridge has some stock. Baekhyun went by omelettes and rice.

As the morning passes, Baekhyun spent his time riding his bike to take a look around the town. He could see the things and places that change, but it makes him smile to know that this place prospered too.

As Baekhyun kicked his pedal further into the town, it was bound that at least one of these people would remember him. It happened when he stopped by the side walk to drink a hot choco he bought from a vendor machine.

“Baekhyun hyung?”

Looking up, the said guy blinked at the sun-kissed face, chocolate eyes and plump lips before him. If it wasn’t for his signature pout, Baekhyun wouldn’t have recognized his friend who was younger than him by two years.

“Nini?” He almost dropped the cup on his hand because, how the hell did a shy and scrawny looking kid back then became a man with guns and gorgeous face to swoon over?

“Hyung!” Baekhyun was engulfed by a big warm hug by his dongsaeng. Thankfully, he managed to put away the hot choco, if not, they will both bathe in it. He hugged the younger back with one free arm, chuckling because Jongin, or Nini, as he nicknamed him, was his favorite dongsaeng and he was a little brother to him. Jongin became attached to him since Baekhyun “saved” him from his bullies back in 4th grade. Well he wasn’t really trying to be a hero; he just disliked that those big bullies picked on someone who clearly wasn’t their size.

“Oh my god, are you really Jongin? Kim Jongin?” Baekhyun said, his normally beady eyes wide as saucers now. Jongin bobbed his head and grinned bashfully.

“I haven’t since you since graduation,” Jongin pouted, “I never heard anything from you!”

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun chuckled, “Things got too complicated but, don’t worry, we’ll have a lot of time to catch up.”

“How long will you stay here? A month? Hopefully longer,” Jongin wished.

Baekhyun ruffled the younger’s hair, even when Jongin was clearly taller than him by a few centimeters. “Don’t worry, I’ll be staying here from now on.”

“Really? As in you’ll never leave the town again?”

Baekhyun nodded with a giggle, before he was yet again engulfed by those strong arms.

 

 

They were walking their way back to Baekhyun’s house. The elder asked Jongin to have lunch in the house. While on it, they talked about a lot of things. Jongin told him what he missed from the place. He said that some of their classmates stayed and was busy with their own business or work. Kyungsoo became a teacher in their previous school, Sehun took over their bakery store and Luhan came back from the city after becoming a nurse. He was now working with the town’s doctor and loved by the kids.

“Wah, I’m happy for them! I should visit them sometimes. You would take me to them right?”

“Of course!” Jongin grinned. “Ah, I’m also a P.E teacher in our school, hyung. You should visit some time, okay?”

“That’s not going to be a problem. I wouldn’t be doing anything here anyway besides waiting for the rent that was supposed to be grandma’s.” Baekhyun laughed. It just happens that they own some spaces from the town market, and some residential areas too. That was his grandma’s source of income. And now that would be his since he was the one who inherited all of his grandmother's properties.

 

 

Lunch with Jongin is refreshing. He missed his friends in this town and he loves the fact that he's never going back to the city. They enjoyed beef stew and mashed potatoes together with pineapple juice. Their topics jumped from their experiences in college, together with the friends they have made until they got here, to the topic that got Baekhyun on the edge--dating.

Jongin said that he's been crushing on Kyungsoo for a while now, but he's looking for the right timing to confess. He didn't want to ruin the friendship they have and once he admit his feelings for the elder male, he's sure that everything would be awkward.

"Jongin, Kyungsoo is too mature for his age, we all know that. I assure you that he'd take this well and he'll not run away like some teenager. Just explain to him your motives and," he lifted his shoulders, "who knows, he'll say yes?"

Jongin took a deep breath, "That is, if he feels the same."

"You wouldn't know until you confess," Baekhyun chuckled. He's about to take another spoonful of stew soup when Jongin decided to reopen unwanted memories.

"Ah, as expected from the one who experienced love at an early age." Jongin chuckled, "Speaking of, I am really curious why you and Chanyeol hyung suddenly broke up. I mean, after graduation, we had our party and I clearly remembered the two of you so sweet together. But then, next time I heard something from you, you left to the city and Chanyeol suddenly disappeared."

When Baekhyun didn't answer for a few minutes, Jongin realized that he must have said something wrong. He tried to apologize but before he could, Baekhyun beat him to it. Sporting a small smile, Baekhyun put down his spoon and propped himself on the table with his elbows.

"I bet you're all disappointed since you're rooting for us so much back then." Jongin nodded, unable to meet Baekhyun's eyes. "Well, I feel the same, because Chanyeol is my first in everything. He's my first crush, my first love, first kiss, first boyfriend...and my first experience," Jongin blushed and Baekhyun laughed at it. "I really thought that he's the one. We even dreamed of running away together and build our own house near the beach. Just the two of us, basking in the sun, floating on the water and making sand castles by the shore." Baekhyun dipped his chin, eyeing the beef meat as if they are the most interesting food he ever saw. "We plan to elope with each other," Jongin's eyes widened, jaws dropped. "…and we thought that after graduation was the perfect time to do it because, you know, my parents wanted to take me to the city."

"W-What happened?" he asked.

Baekhyun took a deep breath and smiled, although Jongin could see right through it already. “I waited for him by midnight on the other side of the shore, far from our house. It was our meeting place. But the call time passed and… and I fell asleep waiting.” The elder blinked away the threatening tears and chuckled bitterly, “And when I opened my eyes again, the sun is already rising.”

Jongin’s shoulders sagged, “Chanyeol hyung didn’t come.”

Baekhyun shook his head as a confirmation. “And I didn’t see him anymore after that.”

“I…I’m sorry hyung, I didn’t know—“

“It’s okay, silly. That was what, seven years ago?” Baekhyun ruffled the younger’s hair. “I got over it, although I admit, it was hard for the first two years.”

“But still…” Jongin displayed his pout again. Baekhyun laughed and pinched the younger’s lips together, making fun of his duck face. Even when Jongin kept whining for him to let his mouth go, quite literally, Baekhyun kept the mood up. He was sure that if they talk more about Chanyeol, the delicate walls he built to push back the painful memories would collapse.

 

Jongin bid goodbye to him when the sun sets, leaving Baekhyun alone in the peacefulness of his house. He spent time watching television but after looking through all the channels, he got bored and decided to take a nap.

Baekhyun planned to get up two hours after but to his surprise, it was already five in the morning the next day when he did. His back was killing him, proving the fact that he fell asleep on the sofa. Was he really that tired to sleep for 11 whole hours straight?

He stretched his limbs and back, groaning as some of his bones popped especially when he rotated his neck. Taking the blanket and folding it, Baekhyun thought about his next activity for today. He had already pondered about visiting the school since it was Monday, when he realized, why does he have a blanket with him?

He was sure that he didn’t bring anything from the bedroom when he watched last night. And he’s certain that after feeling the heaviness of his eyes, he went straight to sleep without bothering to get a pillow, much less a blanket.

So… where did this came from?

Baekhyun came back from his train of thoughts when he heard the door by the kitchen opened and closed. Alarmed, he quickly put the blanket aside and strode towards the said place, only to stop mid-way upon seeing a familiar figure entering the house.

At first he wasn’t sure, but then those big ears gave away his identity. Even when he’s tall back in their teenage days, this man grew even more—actually a head taller than him. His arms were perfectly toned with muscles, and his hair was still annoyingly but beautifully long. Even longer now, he noticed.

But Baekhyun wasn’t sure when to begin his questions. Should he ask him first why he’s in his grandma’s house? How did he get in? Or should he start from where they left off?

Where have you been?

Why are you here?

When did you come back in town?

Baekhyun was still stoned on his spot, eyes fixed on a pair of hazelnut one. He was sure that the silence would kill him next minute, if it wasn’t for the fact that the man he used to share kisses with, the man he used to envision the future with and the man he thought would be his forever, answered the questions in his mind. Maybe he had asked it out loud?

“I was…watering the plants…” his deep, rich voice sliced through the silence.

Baekhyun took time to respond. And he already knew it would come bitter and resentful. “So you’ve been watering grandma’s plants for seven years, back there?” he scoffed.

Chanyeol’s thick brows creased as he took a step forward, but stopped when the smaller male took a step back when he did. “Baek--“

“Don’t come closer.” Baekhyun growled. He took his gaze away from the face of the man he used to love, and probably still loves. Chanyeol changed so much but at the same time, Baekhyun felt like he didn’t. Even when his hair that only used to hang on his shoulders was now, probably reaching his waist if it wasn’t pulled into a high pony tail, those eyes, nose and lips were still the same ones he used to kiss. “I don’t need your explanation. Just tell me what you are doing in my house.”

Chanyeol’s lips formed a thin line, and even though he wanted to say something else, he just answered the question straight to the point. “Your grandmother hired me as the house caretaker. She asked me to look after it even when you move back. She knows you wouldn’t be able to handle most of the hard labors alone.”

Baekhyun’s eyes turned to slits, “Really?”

Chanyeol bobbed his head, “Yeah…”

Looking at Chanyeol blankly, Baekhyun remained silent for a second before saying, “Well if that’s the case then you are fired now.”

“Baekhyun.”

“Go.” The said man points at the back door. “I don’t want to see your face.”

Chanyeol scowled at him but shook his head. “I won’t leave. Your grandmother hired me. She’s the only who can fire me.”

Stubborn as always, Baekhyun thought, “Well she’s gone now.” He hissed.

“That’s why no one can fire me.” Chanyeol said. “Coz she didn’t before she left.”

When Baekhyun realized he had lost the argument, he turned around with a soft groan. “Fine, do what you want. Just don’t bother me.”

Before Chanyeol could catch up to him, Baekhyun has already gone and locked himself up in his room.

 

 

Baekhyun had lost count on how many days (or possibly weeks) had passed with him not talking to ex-lover. Most of the time, especially on weekdays, they spend their time under the same roof. What Chanyeol mostly does is tending the greenhouse of his late grandmother. But sometimes, he was also maintaining the house and keeping it clean. As much as both of them are itching to talk to each other, they both put distance between them.

For Baekhyun, he thinks he was not yet ready to hear the reason. For him, he wanted to preserve the thought that he had learned to accept years ago. And that was Chanyeol didn’t really love him. That everything they had was just a fling. He was sure that whatever they planned were just bluffs. After all, they were just teenagers and they don’t know what they are talking about.

But for Chanyeol, he doesn’t want to talk about anything if Baekhyun doesn’t want to. He doesn’t want to push the smaller male. So, even if he’s dying to tell him the truth why he didn’t come back then, even when he wanted to clean his name and earn back Baekhyun’s trust, Chanyeol respected Baekhyun’s choice.

But then, Chanyeol could feel how much Baekhyun wonders. He knows the stares the smaller male was giving him when the latter thought Chanyeol doesn’t notice. He felt Baekhyun’s curiosity, and he was more than willing to satisfy it if he’d let him. Baekhyun should know that Chanyeol knew him better than anyone.

 

 

 

It was one random late afternoon when Baekhyun decided to break the ice between them. He wanted to, at least, be able to have a conversation with the other. If not, maybe he’d go crazy of not talking to anyone at home. He found him by the front yard, cleaning the pool. He tried so hard not to ogle the flexing muscles of his guns, and not to fantasize about running his fingers through Chanyeol’s long, silky hair.

“There’s nothing to clean there anymore, Chanyeol.” He started with a cold tone. The said man looked up to him, and Baekhyun’s cheeks flushed from the intensity of that gaze.

“I’m just making sure.” He said, pulling out the filter he’s using. Baekhyun didn’t see the small smile the taller sported.

 

Another minute of fat silence followed, and Chanyeol realized that Baekhyun couldn’t make up his mind if he’ll continue to talk to him or not. Knowing his ex-lover very well, he made the first step by closing the distance between them.

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol reached out to hold his hand.

The smaller didn’t dare to look at him. He knew he’d fall for the trap that was Chanyeol’s eyes. The latter slipped his long fingers in between his slim ones, completing the puzzle that’s been missing its pieces for years. With the bitter taste of regret lingering in his tongue, Chanyeol pulled the smaller’s hands to his lips and kissed his knuckles, startling Baekhyun. When he looked up at him in shock, he found Chanyeol with closed eyes, wet lashes and furrowed brows. His lips were still pressed on Baekhyun’s knuckles when he whispered, “Please give me another chance.”

Baekhyun ached to say yes, but his pride won’t let him. Deep inside him, he was afraid that the same thing would happen. He’s afraid that if he let himself trust Chanyeol, he’d be left with nothing but questions and broken heart for the second time around.

But then, despite of his inner battle, Baekhyun’s heart won upon seeing the rare sight of Chanyeol’s tears trickling down his face, and the glistening orbs behind those lids when he opened his eyes.

“It hurts so much to not have you in my arms.” He breathed.

Baekhyun’s heart made thundering noises, and his hands moved on its own that they cupped Chanyeol’s cheeks and caressed its soft skin, brushing the tears away.

“You had me,” he whispered. “You had all of me…Chanyeol I was willing to leave everything for you, but in the end you let go of me.”

Chanyeol bowed his head in shame, “I waited at the place where you told me to, I was excited to be with you, but what happened?” Baekhyun asked in shaking voice. “You didn’t come.”

“I have my reasons Baek—“

“Reasons that you didn’t tell your boyfriend?”

“Reasons that I kept to keep you safe.” Chanyeol countered. Baekhyun couldn’t understand.

“Why would you keep me safe, Chanyeol? Nothing’s gonna hurt me, and as a matter of fact, it is my right to know that reason. I have every right to.” Baekhyun argued. “We’ve been together for two years, Chanyeol, you should have known you could trust me with anything.”

Chanyeol bowed his head.  “I…I know. But I was scared.”

Baekhyun took a deep breath and tried to lift Chanyeol’s head, but the latter wouldn’t budge. “Look at me.” When the taller male did as he was told, Baekhyun fought hard not to smile. “I’m willing to give us another chance,” Chanyeol’s eyes sparkled, “If,” he pressed on, “Only if you tell me the reason why you disappeared.”

It was Chanyeol’s turn to take a lungful of air. “Alright.”

 

 

 

Just like how they used to do back in the past, they walk side by side on the beach, almost tasting the salt in the air. The sun was covered by the clouds, but there’s no warning of rain yet.

Chanyeol took his time thinking where to start. “Do you remember the time when I was gone for three days without any contact?” he asked Baekhyun. The latter of course remembered that first time he got so mad at Chanyeol.

“Of course,” he snorted. Chanyeol chuckled at his reaction, then looked at the distant hill ahead of them. “Do you remember what you told me back then?”

Baekhyun met Chanyeol’s smiling eyes, something that he missed so much. “I said—“

“There’s something you’re not telling me Chanyeol. Why do you always disappear?” they recited at the same time, taking Baekhyun by surprise. Chanyeol sighed, gazing at the ocean. His long hair was tied up, some shorter ones framed his sharp jaws. “The reason why I always leave was because my family was calling me.”

Baekhyun kept mum, ready to listen.

“I told you that I am really not in good terms with them right? But I can’t turn my back on my father. I have…responsibilities.” He said. When he looked down at Baekhyun, the smaller’s eyes were fixed on his. Chanyeol smiled and slid his fingers between Baekhyun’s. He took his hand as they climbed up on the higher ground, their feet making way in the middle of wild grass and dandelions.

“They…hate you, somehow, because they think that you’re the reason why I’m rebelling against them.” Chanyeol snorted.

“Am I?” Baekhyun smirked.

“Well, maybe,” Chanyeol tightened his grip on Baekhyun’s hands which the latter internally loved the most. “Because technically, I’m sleeping in your house, my clothes are in your closet and I spend my weekends with you too. I rarely go home…”

Baekhyun only realized that now. He was so used in having Chanyeol by his side that he forgot to wonder about his family.

They reached the highest point by now and they are standing on cliff. Below them is the deeper part of the sea where no one dares to come to. However they were always here when they were teenagers, loving the view of the horizon where the cerulean sky kisses the sea.

“So…that time when we decided to run away together, It was never my intention not to show up. I told you I was just going to say goodbye to my father but I… I was stuck there. I couldn’t go back.”

Baekhyun noticed how Chanyeol’s eyes watered. “He was so mad at me and it affect him so much that his weak body took its toll on him.” Realizing where this was going to, Baekhyun placed his hands on Chanyeol’s shoulders, shaking his head.

“It’s okay not to tell me,” despite of it, Chanyeol bowed his head and said, “My father died that night.”

Baekhyun closed his eyes in shame. He’s so selfish thinking only about himself that he didn’t consider the possibility that something happened. He felt a pang on his chest when he realized he’s been harbouring hate for Chanyeol, who would never lie to him.

“I couldn’t leave…because I was guilty of what happened. It was my fault…”

“It’s not your fault…” Baekhyun hushed him.

Chanyeol pressed his forehead against his. “But my mother knew that you’d be waiting, so he asked me to come back and say good bye to you, however, by the time I got back the next night, you were already leaving the island.”

Baekhyun couldn’t say anything at all, he couldn’t find any words to say.

“So…I let you be, thinking that it was for the best. Look at you now Baek… you’ve become more beautiful than ever.”

Baekhyun flushed at the compliment, but asked Chanyeol to tell him the rest of the story. Chanyeol, by this time, faced the ocean with a sigh. “I came back here a year ago, and your grandmother took me in.”

 

“They let you go?” Baekhyun asked, pertaining to Chanyeol’s family. The latter nodded, “They realized that what we have is real and it’s not just some petty infatuation. My mother told me to find you, and to be happy with you, so…”

Baekhyun smiled at Chanyeol, “So here you are…working at my grandmother’s green house.”

Chuckling, Chanyeol shook his head. “But I…I have something to tell you. It’s very important.”

“Okay…?” Baekhyun creased his brows in confusion. Chanyeol held both of his hand and it was kept warm. Chanyeol looked so serious, as if he’s contemplating how to say this ‘important thing’.

“But I can’t show you,” he breathed out. “I just have to show you.”

“What?”

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun with intense gaze. He doesn’t know if it was just him or Chanyeol’s eyes suddenly sparked with purple light.

“Do you trust me?” he asked.

“What are you talking about Chanyeol?”

“I asked you, do you trust me Baek?”

“This is not funny, Yeol you’re scaring me.”

“And this is not a joke Baek. Please, you have to trust me with this.” Chanyeol plead.

Baekhyun swallowed, “Okay fine. I trust you. And don’t get me wrong. I do trust you. But what is it that you’re going to show me.”

Chanyeol suddenly pulled Baekhyun in his arms and the latter barely heard him whisper a soft, “My home.” Before he felt himself off the ground and down towards the big body of water.

 

 

 

Every sound was muffled except for the blob of water ringing in his ears. Baekhyun opened his eyes and through the bubble of the air he’s slowly releasing, he saw Chanyeol.

He saw him change right before his eyes.

His silky black hair turned white from roots to its tip, his dark eyes became purple and his flawless skin on cheeks and temple produced a rough textured shape of what seemed to be…scales.

Chanyeol is , but his shoulders and up to his forearms had the same scale he had in his face. From his abdominal muscle trailed faint of it, three colors of silver, blue and purple. Yet from his hips below was nothing he had ever imagined.

A beautiful tail, with strong and agile purple fins.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened as he saw Chanyeol swam closer to him. His mind was full of questions but they all popped like bubbles when Chanyeol’s lips pressed on his.

So this is why… Baekhyun kissed Chanyeol back, his hands wrapped around the merman’s neck.

 

 

 

~♦~♦~♦~

 

 

It took a couple of weeks for Baekhyun to finally take down the fact that Chanyeol is a merman. And that he is not just a merman.

“Baekhyun, honestly,” Chanyeol sighed as his head came out of the water. Snapping out of his thoughts, Baekhyun glared at the silhouette of the wet man. The moon was illuminating his perfect figure.

“Yah, I’m not like you, I can’t stay in the water for that long, my skin will get wrinkly.”

Chanyeol chuckled and swam to the shore. They were on the other side of the hill were no one comes. From time to time they would go here so Chanyeol could enjoy his natural habitat without anyone seeing him. Baekhyun enjoys watching his lover in his real form.

When Chanyeol sat on the sand, Baekhyun went closer to him. With half of Chanyeol’s tail in the water, the merman laid down on his lover’s lap. Baekhyun smiled down at him as their hands were linked together.

“Hey, don’t make that face.” Baekhyun whispered.

“I can’t help it,” Chanyeol frowned, “I have to leave you for days.”

“It’s your duty, I understand…” Baekhyun ran his hands on the soft wet hair. “I trust that you’ll be back for me, so I’m not worried.”

Chanyeol reached out so he could grab him and kiss him again. “I’ll make it quick, I promise.” He then sat up, crawling back to the water.

Baekhyun laughed when Chanyeol splashed water on him with his tail. “Yah!”

Chanyeol chuckled as he swam away, evading the pebble his lover threw at him. “I’ll fry you when you come back, huh?” he jokingly threatened.

Baekhyun watched the trail of purplish blue light Chanyeol was leaving as his fins moved against the current.

This is what they call Blue Tides.

And it only happens when the King of Sea returns home every full moon.