Chapter 2 "Hoony's Birthday"

It’s Nice to Know You, It’s Great to Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hawaii. 1996.

“Hyung, let me do it, okay? This is my part. You already finished your part, yesterday. Okay, hyung? Please!!!” Sunghoon made a cute face to Jiwon. Today was his turn to wash the blanket and clean the house but Jiwon didn’t let him. Jiwon kept washing the blanket by himself. He even pretended not to hear Sunghoon’s cry. Jiwon had a plan in his mind. He wouldn’t let Sunghoon work. Today was Sunghoon’s birthday and he wants to make it special for Hoony.

“Hyung, please!!!” Sunghoon tried harder this time.

“What?” Jiwon turned his head and look at Sunghoon for a second, after that he wash the blanket again.

Sunghoon puzzled by Jiwon’s action, ‘Did he just pretend not to hear me or he didn’t hear me for sure?’ Sunghoon went inside and head to the kitchen. Since both of them living together, Sunghoon in charge of cooking and Jiwon in charge of eating Sunghoon’s food. Sunghoon decided to cook for lunch and he hope there’s no other disturbance. He wanted to cook Korean food since today is his birthday. Sunghoon open the fridge and taking out some of the ingredient he need. He will cook seaweed soup and beef stir fry. At least, he’s confident with that menu. He never cooked any Korean food before. He take out some of the ingredients he need and washed all of the raw ingredient and start to cut it.

Jiwon already finished washing the blanket and head inside the house. From afar, he saw Sunghoon in the kitchen doing something. Jiwon noticed that Sunghoon is cooking. In a speed of light, Jiwon rushed to the kitchen and start to stop Sunghoon form cooking.

“Hoon-ah, what are you doing?” Jiwon asked Sunghoon as if he doesn’t know anything.

“You can see, hyung, I’m cooking right now,” Sunghoon lifted the spatula in his hand and continue to stir his stir fried.

“Ahh~ okay. Is this for our lunch?” Jiwon asked as if nothing happened in his mind. Jiwon’s failed. He worried to hell about his plan. He afraid that it will be a total failure.

“Yes, hyung, this is for our lunch. Now, you go sit and I will cook for you since you didn’t let me wash the blanket, hyung. I know you’re tired. Common, hyung,” Sunghoon put his spatula and push Jiwon to the living room. He turn on the television and run to the kitchen to get a glass of water. “Here, hyung, drink this and rest for a while. Lunch is ready within a minute. Just wait for it okay, hyung?” Sunghoon ran again to the kitchen.

Jiwon, who is sitting in a sofa with a glass of water in his hand, puzzled. He never had the thought that Sunghoon will be this sweet in his own birthday. He thought that Sunghoon will go after him and ask for a gift or ask Jiwon to take him somewhere. He watched Sunghoon from afar. He watched Sunghoon’s back. It seems that Sunghoon enjoy his cooking time. Jiwon gave up to stop him. He will surprise Sunghoon with other plan. Jiwon let out a sigh. ‘I have to come up with a better plan than this’ Jiwon emptied down his glass of water.

“Hyung, come here. The lunch is ready. See, I can finish it within minutes,” Sunghoon smiled proudly.

“What’s the menu for today?” Jiwon asked curiously from his seat.

“Just come here and you will see my master piece,” Sunghoon placed a bowl of beef stir fry and smile proudly.

“Smells good. What is this? Korean dish?” Jiwon got up from his seat and walk toward the dining room. “Wow, you cooked this? This is unbelievable. How do you know that I miss Korean dish so much, Hoon-ah?” Jiwon was excited by the look of the dish. He pulled a chair and ready to dig in.

“Wait, hyung. You don’t wait for me,” Sunghoon pulled another chair in front of his hyung and take Jiwon’s bowl. “Of course, I know, hyung. I miss this too. But first, I’m sorry if this taste bad. You know, I can’t cook properly. I just recall the recipe from my mom’s recipe, hyung,” Sunghoon smiled bitterly.

“It’s OK. It doesn’t matter. Now pour me the soup first, Hoon-ah,” Jiwon gave Sunghoon his soup bowl and received the other bowl. Sunghoon went into the kitchen and comeback to the dining room with two bowls. Jiwon received one bowl and the other goes to Sunghoon’s side. Jiwon observed his soup and he realize that it is a seaweed soup. ‘Oh no, he cooked this. What kind of reaction that I have to give to him?’ Jiwon couldn’t stay still. He’s worried now.

Both of them couldn’t express anything. Sunghoon’s waiting for Jiwon’s reaction to his dish but nothing come from him. Sunghoon’s afraid that maybe his food taste really bad. In the other side, Jiwon not eating the food but gulping the food. He wanted to tell Sunghoon his opinion about his food but he cannot open . He kept repeating ‘What should I do? What should I do?’ to himself. ‘This is not good. Why he is so silent?’ Jiwon repeatedly look at Sunghoon’s expression. He wanted to make sure that he is not mad or something and in the end, his food choke him.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Sunghoon ran to Jiwon side and help him.

“Yes, I’m okay. Thank you.”

“Be careful when you’re eating, hyung.” Sunghoon’s worried about his hyung. “Are you thinking about something when you eat?”

“Thinking? No, I didn’t think anything. Why would I thinking something when I’m eating? You must be kidding me, Hoon-ah,” Jiwon tried to deny the fact that he was thinking about Sunghoon.

“Because you’re chocked by your own food, hyung. Just finish your meal and after that you have to come with me,” Sunghoon went back to his seat and start eating again.

“What? Come with you? Where?” Jiwon’s panic. ‘Why in the hell I cannot tell his mind at all? His act make me frustrated’ Jiwon’s thought.

“Just finish your meal and you will know,” Sunghoon silently finished his meal before and head to the kitchen. “Hyung, you do the dish, okay?”

“Okay, I will do the dish.” Jiwon need a reason to avoid going out with him. He need a good reason right now. “Sunghoon-ah, I don’t think I can go with you after this. I have another plan and this plan come from long time ago,” Jiwon finally has a reason to avoid Sunghoon.

“What plan, hyung?” Sunghoon looked a bit disappointed.

“Uhh, I have to finish my game right now or I cannot finish it in forever,” Jiwon checked Sunghoon’s expression. He’s afraid that Sunghoon’s angry at him. “Or I can call a companion for you?” he came up with other brilliant idea.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter