Partner

May Be It Is Like This

Fate put an end to our paralleling path not long after our last encounter and made us walk along side by side. There would be no more brushing past each other.

 

My manager was telling me my schedule for the upcoming week when he mentioned that I will start preparing for my new drama and that my partner has been confirmed. My partner will be her. I went blank for a second for the information to be processed in my brain before a big grin formed on my face. Seeing my reaction, my manager rolled his eyes, coughed to gain my attention before continuing with my schedule for the week. I will have a horse riding and traditional instrument lesson with the other cast next week. It felt a bit unreal at first, so when the articles and news about her casting was published by the media it felt like a guarantee and strangely, I was very happy about the news. Jin Goo once told me that the best partner for sageuk beginner like me should be Yoo Jung-ie as she had many experience in sageuk.

 

At last, the day of horse riding lesson came. Me and Seo Won, my label mate and also the actor who will took the role as Byeong Yeon, came together as we departed together from the office. The director and instructor were waiting for us. We went to greet them, as I finished my greeting; I heard a familiar soft husky voice came from behind me. I turned back, my eyes met a pair of beautiful clear eyes that brought trace of smile. Maybe I turned back so suddenly or something on my face made me look like I was surprised, maybe I AM surprised. The first thing the girl said was “Oh..sorry, did I surprise you”, she laugh a bit and bow to greet everyone.

 

Wearing black hoodie with jeans and sport shoes, hair in high pony tail, her face free from make up. Very simple and carefree, a different look from what I saw in those events before but still pretty. What others said of her being an easy going person is indeed true, she is comfortable being herself.

 

I initially thought that it should not take a long time to get close with such easy going person. But reality wasn’t always synchronized with your thoughts. After the greeting, we fell into silence while waiting for the horses to be prepared. I started to feel a bit nervous, I should be someone who easily get along with others but why I felt awkward now. I tried to think of a topic to start a conversation to break the silence. On the other hand, she seemed not to be bothered with the silence as she sat dazedly. I started to think that maybe she didn’t like me, while my thoughts wander around aimlessly, I felt a poke on my arm, followed with a “Bogum-nim”, I turned to the side facing her. She smiled and raised her hand in front of me, there was some candies on her palm. “Want some candy?” She said awkwardly, she seems a bit shy. I was hit by realization, so she was easy going but didn't just get all chatty with stranger she just met, it’s not like I’m being disliked. I was relieved.

I took one candy saying “Thank you”

“Take another one for Seo Won-nim”

My brain finally calm enough to notice how she addressed us, I frowned a bit and then chuckled, this girl, how awkward did she felt towards us to make her address us in such a respective manner, no matter how young she is, still she is our sunbae.

 

“Yoo Jung-ssi, you are our sunbae. You don’t have to address us so formally.” I said.

“Huh?” she frowned, looking confused, “I’m younger, to be respectful is normal, right?”

 

Actually, I also felt nervous about how should I interact with her. Until now, most of my co-stars were older or almost same aged as me. She was not just younger than me but also a sunbae of me by many years, it is contradicting. But, wasn’t younger female co-star normally use ‘oppa’ to address older co-star but why co-star here use '-nim' instead? But, It is cute though.

 

“Then, just call me ‘oppa’. Calling me ‘Bogum-nim’, felt awkward and distance.” I suggest. “The director wants us to build chemistry, right? Let’s start with addressing each other more casually.”

“hmm…okay then, oppa. Please also change the ‘Yoo Jung-ssi’, it make me feel old. Let’s get along well” She bowed.

 

Our short conversation ended, when ‘Seo Won-nim’ returned from the toilet. The three of us proceed to the field for the lesson. She did well during the lesson. It turned out that she had learned horse riding before. The lesson proceeded smoothly and we finished it safely.

 

After the lesson, we went for dinner together before going home. After spending time for a day together, me and my partner interaction could be described as neither warm nor cold, naturally it will get better step by step.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for my very very very late updates, I was pondering whether to continue or not, but I'll try to finish what I started. I revise several times for the chapter above, but still think that it is not good enough. Please excuse me for the mistakes, will try to improve in the future chapter.